[2/4]

Let Me Go

The boys go to sleep early on weekdays and a little later on weekends. The subtle ‘ding’ from the clock on the dining room marks twelve o’clock midnight of Wednesday, meaning the dorms would be silent except for snores from Joonmyun’s and Yi Fan’s rooms.

Luhan’s guilt reappears in his dreams. Or at least in his subconscious mind, that makes him toss and turn, unable to fall asleep for a good hour. When Yi Xing starts mumbling about the noise, Luhan figured he could spare his friend some sleep by stepping outside. Air might put him to an easier sleep.

Apparently, sleep isn’t something on fate’s to-do-list for him because he sees a hunched shadow of a boy on the couch. The living room is bright but his back is turned to Luhan.

Click. Clack.

“Baekhyun?” The strange echo is foreign to his ears because the hall is almost never this quiet. Luhan approaches the couch and settles himself comfortably next to Baekhyun. The boy nods with a forced smile and he hands the Rubik’s cube back to Luhan wordlessly. Luhan takes it and passes it over his hands, feeling the warmth from Baekhyun’s hands. He can only imagine the warmth in his own hands if those fingers were to grace his own.

“Not bad,” he chuckles, seeing the eight sides solved. His hands fly across the cube swiftly and about ten moves later, he solves it. Baekhyun’s face remains stony. Luhan’s throat suddenly feels lumpy. He coughs lightly.

“Baek, listen, I’m sorry. I should have…I shouldn’t have made that mistake, I don’t know how it slipped out of my mouth,” he explains hurriedly, grasping desperately for the words he wants to hear from Baekhyun’s lips. The acceptance of his somewhat lame apology maybe. Or a small smile, he hopes. Just anything to wipe that somber expression off his flawless face.

“No, hyung, it doesn’t matter. I don’t know why we- you’re so worked up over it. It’s just a mistake,” Baekhyun chuckles but it sounds hollow and his eyes aren’t warm. They’re not the ones Luhan loves to sneak glances at, wishing that he could just drown himself in them.

“You…you’re okay?” Luhan asks uncertainly. Doubt laces his words and clouds his judgement.

“Yeah, of course. It’s okay. It’s really okay that you like Sehun. I am completely fine with it. Why wouldn’t I be? It’s not like…It’s not like I like you or anything,” Baekhyun chokes out and Luhan raises his head. His hands slowly reach up and tip up Baekhyun’s chin so the boy is forced to look at Luhan. His eyes are unhappy, his lips curved down at the corners and Luhan wants to kiss them so badly just to plant a smile on his face. Luhan’s lips part.

“I…Baekhyun, I’m so sorry. It’s not like that with Sehun. I don’t…like him like that. We’re just close friends,” he whispers, leaning in unconsciously. Baekhyun looks unsure.

“Really, hyung?”

“Really. It’s you that I like, Baekhyuna,” he murmurs and Baekhyun’s skin feels hot all of a sudden.

“Hyung…I…” Baekhyun’s words barely comes out as a whisper in the empty room. Luhan gulps and their faces are almost touching. They can hear each other’s thumping heartbeats.

“What are you guys doing so late?” Yi Fan’s hoarse, sleepy voice breaks them apart, both boys jumping in shock. They try to control their breathing, eyes wide and looking away nervously. Luhan grabs his Rubik’s cube and starts fiddling with it, eyes focused on it and not looking at Baekhyun. Yi Fan yawns and walks over to the sink to grab a glass of water. His eyes are half closed. The boys cross their fingers, waiting for him to say something.

“Go to sleep. The manager is ready to cut my head off if you guys doze off again,” he mumbles and both boys scramble off to their rooms with quiet agreements.

Baekhyun’s room is at the very end, where Chanyeol is already asleep and sprawled across the bed, his blanket slipping off. Luhan’s room is two doors away, where Yi Xing is so deep in slumber that he can’t tell if the boy is still breathing.

“Goodnight Baekhyun,” Luhan smiles at the boy and Baekhyun walks over to Luhan. He throws his arms around Luhan and bids him a quick goodnight before scuttling away to his room, not sure of what to make of his spur-of-the-moment action. He feels embarrassed, but Luhan’s adorable response makes up for it.   

When Luhan goes to sleep that night, he hugs his pillow tight and thinks that he might just get used to the idea of skinship.

 

---

 

Baekhyun squeezes his eyes shut, failing to fall asleep miserably. Just nights ago, he was so close to…

To kissing Luhan.

Byun Baekhyun is scared. He never expected to be…romantically interested in boys. But then when did anything in his life make sense? He didn’t understand why he dated his last girlfriend, when all she wanted from him was endless attention that he just can’t seem to give to her. She wasn’t the most horrible girl but Baekhyun walked out of the relationship wondering why he agreed to walk into it in the first place.

And what if his attraction to Luhan is just a part of Baekhyun, which craves love and affection? What if it isn’t real? It might be his looks. Baekhyun thinks he might be going crazy but Luhan’s face is…unbelievable. It’s not from this world. It’s sculpted to perfection, born to be in an angel’s possession. Baekhyun can go on forever, imagining his face in awe.

At the same time, Baekhyun also loves how Luhan seems to be so aloof but he has seen how Luhan actually is. Luhan has a heart of gold, and Baekhyun wants a piece of it, if not everything, for himself. He’s selfish for Luhan…

Baekhyun saw how Luhan was reluctant but he went out with Sehun anyway. He saw the body of an exhausted boy, being dragged along, but he had a smile on. He saw how Luhan brings joy to Minseok, the serious boy who cracks under Luhan’s sarcastic jokes. He saw how Yixing goes to Luhan for anything and everything and how without fail, Luhan eases his worries with simple words and smiles. He saw how Luhan secretly hands Jongin chocolates when the manager isn’t around. He saw…he saw everything he needed to see. He felt those gentle hands on his when Luhan taught him his story from his cube. He felt the patient fingers guiding his, speaking so softly and enchantingly. Baekhyun loves his voice.

Minseok is right. The answer is easy. Baekhyun likes Luhan and there is no getting out of it.

Besides, are reasons necessary to like someone?

 

---

 

Except maybe if Luhan didn’t pretend nothing happened between them. Baekhyun jogged to catch up with Luhan, who was walking way ahead with Tao. He waves to Tao and the boy greets him in Mandarin, teasingly. Baekhyun gives him a puzzled look and Tao rolls his eyes. He says something to Luhan, eyes flickering to Baekhyun. Baekhyun pouts and Luhan laughs.

“Hyung?” Baekhyun calls out, but Luhan tells him to wait.

‘Wait’ as in leave them alone. Baekhyun isn’t the smartest boy but he can take the hint when people wants to be left alone, so he walks away, shrinking to the very back, until Jongin pulls him out and links his arm with Baekhyun’s. His face is gloomy and Jongin does not like it at all.

“Hyung? What’s wrong?” He asks for mere formality, since he knows the problem can only be Luhan. Baekhyun doesn’t know it but he started developing habits that was only too noticeable to those who bother to looks close enough. Jongin is such a person.

“Nothing,” he tries to say cheerily, but he hears a dying cry inside his chest.  

“Is it Luhan again?” Jongin asks and Baekhyun finds his defenses crumbling all at once because this is second time Jongin caught him. If someone like him can already tell Baekhyun is head over heels for Luhan, why can’t Luhan tell?

“He makes me sad, Jongin-ah,” Baekhyun says dejectedly. In response to that, Jongin swings his arm around Baekhyun and pulls him to his chest, laughing loudly.

“Then, I’ll make you happy.”

“It won’t work. He said he liked me, Jongin,” Baekhyun grows frustrated and he starts disentangling himself from Jongin.

“I can try. Hyung, I think you’re just not seeing it yet,” Jongin tells him and gathers Baekhyun in his arms again. This time, Baekhyun doesn’t protest or fight back because he wants to believe that Jongin is right. He has to. It’s the only way to keep him from feeling so hopeless and sad.

 

---

 

Baekhyun couldn’t sleep or eat the night before their debut. It’s strange and amusing to watch, but the boy refused to eat for fear of vomiting on their stage, despite Joonmyun saying that it’s still two meals away. He stares at their coffee table, nodding to himself, his lips moving but not a word is said aloud. Chanyeol points and laughs at him, patting his buddy’s back but he isn’t safe from the same nervousness. Only, Chanyeol decides to let it out by sleeping it off. Eventually, everyone gives up trying to ease Baekhyun’s nerves. Jongdae walks away, heading to his room, singing obnoxiously loud, but it doesn’t disturb Baekhyun’s concetration at all. Tao might have eaten his entire portion if Luhan didn’t save the plate of beef and rice. He tells Tao off and he stalks off to play with Jongin. Kyungsoo washes the dishes quietly, humming calmly. Luhan is starting to think that Kyungsoo is the only normal boy in the house. Luhan is losing it too, but he walks to Baekhyun and sits next to him, waiting for the boy to respond.

“Baekhyuna.”

“Remember to bow. Remember my name. Remember to wait for Joonmyun-hyung’s signal,” he reels off. Luhan giggles.

“Here, please eat something,” he shoves the plate onto Baekhyun’s hands but he shakes his head.

“Thank you, but I’m not hungry.”

Luhan sighs and starts taking a piece of beef and some rice on the spoon. He turns to Baekhyun and raises the spoon.

“Say ah.”

“Feed Tao,” Baekhyun mumbles.

“Baekhyuna, I don’t just feed anyone. You better open your mouth now.” Baekhyun grudgingly does so, his eyes still looking hard at nothing in particular. Luhan chuckles lightly when Baekhyun chews his food and finally looks at his food hungrily.

“Here,” he offers again, the second time. Baekhyun takes it, a little embarrassed and thanks Luhan quietly.

“Anything for Baekhyuna,” Luhan chirps.

Minutes later, Baekhyun is still staring at nothing in particular, but instead of mouthing lyrics wordlessly, he is chewing his food slowly, each bite worth a single syllabus. The only difference is, he isn’t alone.

Luhan leans his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder, and he takes out his cube. He starts playing with it. Whenever Baekhyun stops moving his jaw, Luhan looks up.

“Baekhyuna,” he says, again and again, never getting tired of saying his name as he reminds him to chew. And this is how the hour passed for the two of them.

“Hyung, what if they don’t like me?” Baekhyun voices out the same thought that has been going through everyone’s mind. His face blanches and Luhan sits up straight. He sees the empty plate and takes it away from Baekhyun. He walks to the kitchen sink and he hears soft padding of footsteps follow him.

“They will love you, Baekhyuna,” Luhan says simply. He takes the scrubber from the end of the sink and starts scrubbing off the plate.

“Let me wash it, hyung,” Baekhyun tries to take it from Luhan but he nudges Baekhyun away.

“It’s okay, I can do it. I didn’t wash mine,” he chuckles, remembering how Kyungsoo insisted on washing everyone else’s, eyeing them suspiciously, before snatching everything away.

“Thank you,” Baekhyun mutters. They are the only ones left in the kitchen now, and Luhan can hear the distinct strumming of Yi Xing’s guitar from their room.

“Don’t worry, Baekhyuna, they will love you,” he reassures the worried Baekhyun.

“Noona said she will put on eyeliner for me tomorrow. I still don’t think they look okay on me,” he confesses. Luhan finishes washing and puts the dish out to dry. He pats his hands dry and smiles at Baekhyun.

“Let’s go,” he says, pulling Baekhyun away.

 

---

 

 “It’s cold,” Baekhyun complains and Luhan throws a bundle of fuzzy blanket to Baekhyun. They are sitting outside on the balcony, underneath the tiny stars that Baekhyun has given up counting. He pulls the blanket close to him and inhales the Luhan’s scent. It puts him more at ease and he finds himself memorizing it.  

“Share with me,” Luhan demands and tugs on it a little, wrapping his legs underneath it.

“What are we doing here?”

“I want to put eyeliner on your pretty eyes,” Luhan says, taking out the dreaded black tube. Baekhyun bites his lips.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Let me try it. I like the eyeliner on you,” he says, unscrewing the top. The fine brush glints under the yellow half moon.

“Close your eyes,” Luhan commands and Baekhyun obliges. He lets Luhan work on his eyes, keeping very still.

“You look…”

“Horrible,” Baekhyun groans and stands up to get wet wipes but Luhan pulls him back down.

“Hot. You look hot,” he says, with wide eyes, as if surprised himself. Baekhyun cannot contain the burning on his face. His heart starts racing.

“Really?”

“Really.” The way Luhan said it was so full of confidence, like he would take on the world with his words, that it makes Baekhyun smile.

“Okay,” he nods, and not a minute later, he falls asleep on Luhan’s shoulder, his head lolling to the side. Luhan lays out their pillows and he gently puts Baekhyun’s head down, before laying down himself.

“Goodnight Baekhyun,” he whispers. Baekhyun mumbles incorrigibly and his hands cling onto Luhan’s arm, snuggling closer.

Baekhyun went to sleep thinking eyeliners aren’t so bad at all, if Luhan likes them on him. Luhan went to sleep not knowing he’s the reason for that smile on Baekhyun’s face.

When they wake up, Baekhyun steals the black tube and pockets it, swearing that it’ll be his good luck charm.

 

---

 

When did it get out of hand? This ‘HunHan’ business? Baekhyun wonders, a little troubled. Jongin pats his back and Baekhyun looks up, instantly smiling.

“Did you see? The huge banner? They think we don’t understand but manager hyung can speak like ten languages,” Jongin guffaws, clapping loudly. They walk into their own assigned rooms and Baekhyun is happy that he finally gets to be in a room with Jongin. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol are chatting about the fans’ cameras. They stop, waiting for Jongin to open the room. They have just arrived in one of Thailand’s four stars hotel. Baekhyun couldn’t remember what the hotel is called but he likes the view. He especially loves the king size bed that awaits him in the room, he dreams wistfully.

“Yeah, it says, HunHan just married,” Baekhyun grins. It’s just a show, right? Luhan said Sehun is like his best friend…his younger brother. And so what if Luhan has been around Sehun a lot more lately? Especially on stage. The manager did instruct him to be that way. And isn’t it their job to make the fans happy? Fan service. That was the requirement that wasn’t written in their official contract, yet it was a mutual understanding. The unspoken agreement between the boys and the company.

But Baekhyun doesn’t remember ever going out of his way to please his own fans, who often yelled “Baekyeol” or “Chanbaek”. They ask about them too often to be just a coincidence. He never faked interactions with Chanyeol because the two have always been close anyways, as friends. They are comfortable with each other, so all they did was act naturally around the fans. Is it the same with Luhan and Sehun? Baekhyun wonders. He almost walks straight into the door but Jongin stops him.

“Stop daydreaming, hyung,” he laughs and Baekhyun joins the others who laugh at the expense of his dignity. He doesn’t stop laughing until teardrops stain his grey sweater. He ends up crying.