Chapter 26: A Conflicting Deal

A Beautiful Curse

A Conflicting Deal

 

Tao’s body shivered not because he was feeling cold but because the atmosphere was so intense that he felt like he could shred these pale white creatures right in front of him. Aside from the fact that he couldn’t tolerate the immense stench, these vampires only reminded him of the past when his entire family got mercilessly killed by them, or at least their kind. Similarly, for the rest of EXO, they held deep hatred against the other kind that they wouldn’t think twice in lashing out on them.

However, Joonmyun watched his brothers as he sent signals for them to calm down and not react rashly. Although he was just as enraged, he was able to control his emotions especially now when he noticed Lana was not hurt in any way.

“Hello EXO, we finally meet.”

Kris stepped forward and he was standing barely a metre away from Yongguk. “What do you want, Yongguk?”

Yongguk smiled, impressed that the wolves knew who he is. “I see you know who I am.”

Jongin was fuming but Lana whispered in his ears gently. “Jongin, calm down... They won’t harm me...”

Lana’s soft melodious voice did calm Jongin. His body stopped shaking and he began to loosen a little. “Did they hurt you?” He asked and cupped her face tenderly.

Lana smiled and shook her head. “No, I’m fine.”

“I was so worried.” Jongin forced a small smile. Lana could see tears forming in his eyes and she knew right away that it must have been hell for Jongin.

Lana leaned her head and rested on his neck. “I won’t leave you, silly.”

Meanwhile, Junhong stepped forward and introduced himself. “I’m Junhong and I’m Lana’s classmate.”

Luhan frowned. “How can that be? How come I didn’t detect your stench when I sent Lana to school the first day?”

“Well because we can blend in pretty well. We know how to conceal our scent –“

“Then, will you please conceal it now because it’s getting unbearable?!” Baekhyun barked annoyingly.

“Baek –“ Kris hissed telling the male to behave.

“Oh please, you guys stink too.” Himchan rolled his eyes.

Yongguk turned around and ordered his brothers. “Guys, conceal it now.”

Understood, the Princes hid their stench away immediately. “Only those under the royal blood line have this special ability. So if you still smell, then it’s not ours but others of our kind.” Junhong explained innocently.

“We know who you are. Even if you belong to the royal family, we won’t hesitate to attack if you ever kill any human.” Minseok snarled.

Daehyun sneered. “Well you don’t seem to know who we are.”

“We don’t feed on humans...anymore.” Youngjae stated with a smirk.

“It’s been a long while since we tasted a drop of human blood.” Himchan stated.

“To be honest, the blood of animals do not provide us with the maximum strength but we can still live with that. As part of the royalty, we have to set things right if we wish to cohabitate with humans and...wolves.” Junhong added and scanned the grim expressions of the wolves.

“It is our ultimate belief that in order to live eternally, we must learn to control our thirst.” Jongup spoke.

Surprised, EXO looked at the vampires sceptically. Although they heard stories that some vampires were able to control their thirst and feed only on the blood of animals, they thought it was only just myth and never to be taken as truth.

“Who’s the one doing the killing?” Kyungsoo raised a question.

“There is plenty of our kind out there who have yet to control their thirst for human blood despite the curse. I’m sure you are aware of the curse, am I right?” Jongup asked and then looked at Lana as though the curse has something related to her.

Afraid that the truth would expose, Joonmyun interrupted. “Don’t drag her yet. She doesn’t know.” He stared right at Yongguk’s eyes.

Fortunately, Yongguk got the message. “I understand.” He turned to Lana who seemed to have not heard the conversation. “Like what Jongup has said, many out there will be hunting for human blood still and especially hers...”

“How about you control your kind and not let them continue with the mess they’ve committed?” Yixing stirred.

Yongguk smiled. “We are doing our best.”

“Try harder...” Tao inserted.

“I assure you we won’t let them get away easily. It is our duty to stop them from exposing the existence of our kind and feeding on human.” Yongguk stated.

Daehyun nodded and continued after Yongguk. “You know how the curse works. We are no longer immortals unless we learn to control our thirst for human blood. Although immortality is what every vampire desires, the hunger for human blood can be too irresistible. Thus, they still kill and feed on humans despite knowing what the curse will do to them. They aren’t able to control like us. In fact, many have succumbed. The only thing we need the most is the same thing that is killing us. Unless of course...”

“If the curse is reversed...” Jongdae interrupted.

Himchan nodded. “Yes.”

“We are trying to establish a world where it is possible for humans and vampires to live together. We have shown our kind that living without feeding on human blood is the only way to ensure existence and cohabitation. Many accepted the rule and vowed to never go against our belief. But, not every vampire has the strength to overcome the thirst.”

“Besides, the royal family isn’t particularly viewed reverently because of this belief. So, they are out to reverse the curse and bring the royal family down.” Yongguk explained.

Yixing stepped forward and voiced. “Okay first thing, it is impossible for humans and vampires to live together. There is a reason why my brothers and I are here. Secondly, we don’t care whether there are other vampires out to bring the royal family down. That would probably make our job a lot easier if you guys are against one another.”

“Xing –“ Kris hissed telling the younger male to behave after noticing the Yongguk clenched his fists tightly.

However, Baekhyun continued. “Lastly, why are you telling us all this now?”

“The solstice is near and we will see an influx of vampires in this territory.” Junhong stated as his expression changed seriously.

“What solstice?” Chanyeol interjected.

“The solstice is an annual event where vampires gathered to pay their respect to the royal family but this year, it won’t be just a festival. It’s the 18th year since the curse –“

“Lana...” Luhan muttered as he remembered the story.

“Yes, it’s her 18th year and I believe you are aware of this.” Yongguk confirmed. “The vampires are out there to reverse the curse because she has reached the ripe age.”

“What the hell?” Tao snapped. “What’s this solstice event? Can’t you stop it?”

Jongup shook his head. “Tradition... We can’t just cancel it this year. It would seem suspicious.”

“But Lana... You can’t gather all the filthy bloodsuckers in a place and let them roam freely.” Sehun barked angrily.

“That’s exactly why I proposed the meet up today.” Yongguk stated. “You said it is impossible for humans and vampires to live peacefully, but you didn’t mention that it’s impossible for wolves and vampires to cohabitate right?”

“Oh please, that goes without saying...” Yixing rolled his eyes. “Do you really think we can be best friends?”

Youngjae smirked. “Best friends, I don’t want either.” It wasn’t like the vampires want any sort of relation with the wolves either. Their hate for each other didn’t need any more explanation.

Yongguk however looked like he hasn’t done talking. “If you want to protect her, then you have to work with us.”

“We can do this on our own –“ Kris replied flatly.

“You don’t know who you are dealing with.” Yongguk cut. “They have waited for 18 years.  Many ceased to exist and died while many more managed to survive up to this very moment. They were hunted by the curse but now, they will hunt for her more than anything.”

Joonmyun stepped up and spoke amicably. “We thank you for the offer but this is impossible.”

“This is not an offer. If you think you’re the only ones who have obligations, then you’re wrong. We have too and that we will protect her.” Junhong said.

“You will be going against your own kind.” Luhan spoke.

“They aren’t a part of us if they can’t follow simple rule.” Himchan explained.

“So you guys do not want to reverse the curse?” Kyungsoo tilted his head, confused.

Daehyun chuckled. “You still don’t get it, do you? We don’t feed on humans anymore which means we don’t intend to reverse the curse.”

“Besides, why would we reverse the curse which sacrifices Lana’s life?” Youngjae asked rhetorically.

“I don’t know probably because you guys are vampires and you have selfish needs.” Baekhyun spitefully replied.

“You!” Daehyun turned impatient at Baekhyun’s attitude however he was stopped by Yongguk.

“Her mother was someone I really cared for. Although Lana is half blood of our kind, she is still a part of us and it is our duty to ensure her safety regardless.” Yongguk clarified further.

“Also, she is Yongguk’s –“ Junhong was about to add when Yongguk interrupted.

“Have you asked yourself why Lana exists?” Yongguk asked Kris.

Kris looked at him and said. “No...”

“Let me make it simpler. She is a human but who were her parents? Why was it possible for two greatest enemies bind together? Simple, it’s love. Do you love Lana?”

“Yes.” Kris answered.

“Then so do us. So, let’s put aside our differences for once and work together only because Lana is the same girl we both care for.”

Kris stared at Yongguk’s eyes and he could sense genuine sincerity in his eyes. “I guess –“

“Deal?” Yongguk once again asked as he offered his hand.

 

To be continued


THANK YOU FOR READING AND HELLO TO THE NEW SUBSCRIBERS... ^^