Min Ah's Secret

Soo Min Ah : Luhan's Assistant

 

CHAPTER 8 : Min Ah's Secret

 

LUHAN’S POV

 

I immediately slammed the door when I saw her face. I haven’t even taken two steps when she rang the doorbell yet again. Where did I get such a freaking annoying assistant? I knew she wouldn’t stop trying to get in, she might even shout like last time and wake up the hotel guests. I rolled my eyes and opened the door against my will.

“Why are you here?” I made it obvious that I was irritated simply by her presence. 

To my displeasure, she just repeated what I asked, “Why am I here?”

The words “you’re fired” wanted to come out. She has broken majority of the rules I’ve given her in a span of 4 days. She has called me Luhan three times (as if once wasn’t enough), imitated my words, forgot my jacket, played the wrong song – I could go on and on. It’s better though if she quits on her own. She’s obviously smart, I’m sure she’ll figure out that she’s clearly not cut out for this job.

Before I could ask her to go away, she let herself in. Who exactly is the boss here? I’m confused.

She then went straight to the kitchen and emptied the grocery bag she was apparently holding. I put the pieces together and realized that Lay called her up to take care of me when I clearly told them I wanted some peace. However, thinking that forcing her out would take more energy than letting her stay, I decided to just sit on the sofa quietly.

I watched her take out a piece of paper where she probably wrote the recipe. She placed a small bag of rice, an egg, and some celery on the counter. For a moment, it seemed like she was thinking which one to prepare first. Her big brown eyes stared at the celery like it was some sort of weed she had never seen before. She decided to break the egg first with a fork, but the inside spilled directly onto her hand. She was too stupid that I couldn’t bear but give out a small laugh that caught her attention. When she looked at me, I quickly dropped my smiling face to a serious one.

“Do you even know how to cook?” As soon as I asked, she dropped the pan like on cue, causing a loud metal clank on the floor. When she remained silent, I added coldly, “You’re paying for anything you break.”

She went back to cooking, or at least trying to cook. I, on the other hand, wanted to continue annoying her more. Because if anything, antagonizing my assistant was damn entertaining.

 

MINA’S POV

 

Although I was trying really hard, I could see from his look that he was not satisfied. Back in Paris, my mom would always cook. I was literally never in the kitchen so I didn’t know what goes where. But even so, I came over like a crazy woman on drugs when I heard that he was sick. Truth was, my body was still sore and there were still bruises left from last night, but after what he did to save me, I thought I owed it to him to be there when he needed someone. Besides, I wanted to personally thank him for saving me.

As if he heard my thoughts, he briskly stood up from the sofa and approached me. He faced me directly, leaning on the counter with his forearms resting atop it. The closeness disarmed me as I felt knots forming in my stomach. His gentle eyes gazed at me, I pursed my lips and swallowed like a teenager who had never seen someone so beautiful.

“You…” he paused for emphasis, “You’ve been found out.”

When he opened his mouth, my eyes unconsciously focused on his lips. I flushed all over. His lips had forced me to bid goodbye my sanity. Fortunately – even though I was barely aware of what was happening – I managed to hear what he said.  I thought I heard it wrong, but when he showed me what he had in his hand, my attention was immediately torn away from him. 

My face turned pale when he showed me my phone. I thought I lost it the night we were at the club, and really, it didn’t matter. In fact, it would have been better if Luhan never found it because –

He suddenly turned my phone on and my eyes widened in horror when my wallpaper appeared.

“That looks like me… doesn’t it?” he feigned surprise, “Oh wait! That is me! Your wallpaper is a photo of me...” He smirked, happy about his discovery.

AHHHHHHHHH! I screamed inwardly. I wanted to run and hide in embarrassment. But before I could even register the feeling, he confirmed,

“Apparently, you’re a fan of EXO.” I blushed like crazy when he added, “and I am your bias.”

I had completely forgotten what “comfortable” felt like. Luhan kept staring at me as I melted like a small creature, preyed on by a ruthless predator. I was at loss for words. Panicked, I tried to look at anywhere but him. But as if to make me suffer, he moved his face closer to mine, making me focus on him and nothing else.

“Mina.” He gently called my name and everything stopped. Every heartbeat, every breath and every blink had stopped.

I cleared my throat before stuttering, “Wh-wh-what?”

“Do I make you nervous?” His voice ended in a seductive tone making me quiver all over.

Before he could say another scandalous thing, the smell of burnt porridge saved me. I hurried to it and turned the stove off. I heard Luhan chuckle triumphantly as he returned to the sofa. When I was sure he wasn’t looking, I put both of my hands on my face in frustration. God. Mina, what have you gotten yourself into?

I decided to hell with it, anyway he would’ve found out sooner or later that he is my bias. What bothered me the most though was how he carelessly does stuff like flirt with me. I mean, that is flirting, right? Before I could delve onto that thought or possibly fantasy, I put some of the porridge into a bowl and brought it in front of Luhan.  

“Is this even edible?” he asked.

 “Yes, it is.” I answered confidently then took out the medicine I bought, “Take this after you’ve eaten.”

He nodded and took a spoonful of the porridge. I watched his reaction carefully and gasped in relief when his face didn’t show any sign of disgust. He finished it to the last bit and drank his medicine. Without a word, he headed to his room and closed the door behind him.

I was left puzzled by his actions. One second, he’s mean to me, the next he acts like we’re close and then he just turns silent all of a sudden. It’s starting to become clearer that Luhan had an identity crisis. For some odd reason, the thought made me smile.

After washing the dishes, I went right in front of the door of his room.

I spoke up, “Thank you… for saving me last night. I’ll be leaving now.”

I had no idea whether he heard it or not. But saying it aloud felt good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When I arrived at the villa, Woo Jin was waiting for me at the porch. He stood up as soon as I arrived, and even from afar, he looked upset.

“You haven’t even fully recovered yet, you shouldn’t have gone out.” he said as he helped me sit by the bench on the porch.

“I’m sorry, but I’m fine… really.” I assured him. Honestly, it pleased me to see that he was worried about me, it was like having my big brother, who I missed dearly, with me.

“Where did you go anyway?” he asked while checking to see if I was still hurting somewhere.

“I went to Luhan’s. He’s not feeling well.” I explained.

“And you are?”

“I’m fine Woo Jin. C’mon, let’s go inside.”

I spoke too early. When I stood up, sudden pain burst from all over my body. My mouth started to water and I felt a tight clamp form on my stomach. “I think I’m going to throw up.” I whispered. At once, Woo Jin took me to the bathroom. I bent over to the sink and painfully vomited. Since I haven’t eaten anything before going to Luhan’s house, there was nothing much to throw up. That made it even more painful.

“Is this what you call fine?” Woo Jin asked roughly while patting my back.

I motioned him to leave me since I didn’t want anyone to see me at this state. But instead, he stood by me and helped me. When the pain had subsided, he led me to the bedroom and allowed me to rest. When I woke up, it was already midnight. I went straight to the kitchen, took a beer, and headed to the porch.

I saw Woo Jin sitting at the bench.

“You’re still up?” I sat beside him.

“Are you feeling better now?” he asked and saw the beer I was holding, “Do you really think it’s a good idea to be drinking right now?”

I gave him a pleading look before tempting him, “Do you want me to get you one too?”

He simpered at my mischievousness but in the end, took a beer for himself as well.

We were silent for a while, probably both tired from the trip. I’m pretty sure that like me, his idea of a trip didn’t include abduction, sickness, and other chaotic stuff.

“It’s normal to vomit. You’ve been on a trauma. Besides, you were beaten up badly.” Woo Jin said strongly to lessen my worry.

“I know. I’ll be fine anyway. Beer is the best medicine.” I joked.

“Was he mean to you when you came to see him?” Woo Jin didn’t mention any name but I was sure he was talking about Luhan.

“He’s, you know, himself.” I replied.

Luhan being mean was old news. I figured it was better too, because if by some miracle he was kind, it would be harder for me.

“You like Luhan.” Woo Jin phrased it like a statement.

“Of course, I do. I like everyone. I like you too.” I said, dodging his question altogether.

“No, I mean you like him, as in – like him.”

I was silent for a moment till I decided to just let it all out. I took my phone from my bag and showed him my wallpaper: Luhan. For some reason, he didn’t act surprised. When I started telling my story, I couldn’t stop.

“Two years ago, my father died.” I hesitated, “He died from cancer. It was painful… not the death, but – but the waiting part.” Woo Jin gave his full attention to me as I continued, “My mom and I… we had a really hard time facing dad in the hospital. He was always so weak, we couldn’t bear watching it. I know this sounds wrong, but the truth was I was already so tired, I just wanted it to end. Watching dad slowly wither, I felt like I was just a body that existed with nothing inside.”

I took a break, scared that I might suddenly burst into tears.

“And then one day I see this guy on TV… this guy had the most gentle face I’ve ever seen, had the most calming voice I’ve ever heard.”

“Luhan…” Woo Jin filled the blank.

I nodded. “I heard him sing the song “Angel” and, I know it sounds ridiculous, but at that moment I felt alive. I wanted to see him so bad. I wanted to meet him, thank him. So when they went to Paris, I bought a ticket to their concert. I was already seated in the front row, waiting for him to come out, when my mom called me. She was crying.” My voice started to falter and tears welled in my eyes.

“I ran back to the hospital as fast as I could, but when I got there, I was too late… Dad was just… gone.”

I fought back the tears that wanted to fall. I looked up the ceiling and heaved a sigh. Woo Jin patiently waited for me to be okay. It had been two years but the pain of it all remained like a stain. After a few minutes, I was able to find the words again.

 

“So you see Woo Jin, when you ask me if I like Luhan, how could I possibly answer?”

 

 

A/N : Here's another update. It's a bit dramatic but we had to see Mina's reason for being there in the first place.

Anyway, thank you again to those who subscribed and commented. Special thanks to Kangaroooo for commenting always.And yes, Luhan's side story will also be exposed soon. :D