Million Dollar Question

Soo Min Ah : Luhan's Assistant

 

CHAPTER 4 : Million Dollar Question

 

I’ve never felt more helpless.

Everyone received their key cards and when it was finally my turn,

“Your name please ma’am?” the receptionist asked.

I remained silent since I was pretty sure there was no room for me.

“You forgot your name?” Luhan asked rather loudly.

I moved a wee closer to him and whispered, “I forgot to reserve a room for me.”

WHAT? You didn’t reserve a room??Yes Luhan, please do announce my stupidity to everybody.

Thank god there weren’t a lot of people in the lobby except the other members who were now focused on Luhan and me. I bit my lip and looked down, I probably looked like I was about to cry. What made me most disappointed though was how much I looked forward to working with Luhan, and yet I seemed to fail at every turn. I thought of asking if walk-in is possible but realized I didn’t even have enough money with me. At that moment, I hoped Luhan would save me like he did in the airport. Can’t you put on another show just this once?

Throwing away all the pride I had left, I asked Luhan, “What should I do?”

You made your bed, so you lie on it.” He sarcastically added, “Oh wait, you forgot to book a bed.”

I saw Kris nudge him lightly, as if he has gone too far with his cruel jokes. I fought the tears that wanted to fall. I wanted to just run away, but truth be told, I had nowhere else to go. In an instant though, all my worries faded away.

“You can stay with us.” A guy I’ve never seen before interrupted.
I was about to ask him who he was when Xiumin suddenly hugged him, “Hyung!”

“Min Ah, this is my assistant Woo Jin hyung.” Xiumin explained.

We shook each other’s hands. He was a bit taller than me and had gentle features that gave him a look of kindness, like he was someone I could trust. With his gentle face, a certain attractive look shone through. If I didn’t know any better, I would totally mistake him as a celebrity myself.

“You can stay with all of the other assistants, we booked a small villa not far from here.” Woo Jin explained.

“Don’t worry Min Ah, hyung will take care of you there.” Xiumin added.

I looked over at Luhan to see if he would allow me to. But shockingly, he was staring at Woo Jin with brows raised. I wondered does anyone ever please him at all? I wanted to leave that hotel right away, coz even I think that I’ve embarrassed myself enough. But he still is my boss, and I needed his approval.

“Is it okay if I go with them?” I asked facing him.

“I don’t care.” Luhan replied.

 

No surprise there. Luhan turned his back instantly and went to his room. I bid good night to all the other members and left with Woo Jin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I probably would’ve slept on the street if you didn’t come.” I said as me and Woo Jin walked to the villa.

Woo Jin smiled, “It’s that hard huh?”

“You have no idea.” I shook my head.

We laughed together and for the first time since I’ve come to Korea, I felt warm and welcome. It’s been only a few minutes since I’ve met Woo Jin, and It already felt like we’ve been friends forever. When we got to the villa, all of the other assistants we’re already asleep so he decided to introduce me tomorrow morning.  Instead, we sat out on the patio with a bucket of beer and lots of stories to tell.

“And then he said, don’t you dare touch my bed!” I laughed recounting that morning with Luhan.

“He said that?” Woo Jin asked like he didn’t believe me, “Wow, you really do have it tough.”

I was silent for a moment because now that I thought about it, I really do have it tough. I took a sip from the beer and caught Woo Jin looking at me. I gave him a what’s the matter look.

“So then why?” He spoke up.

“Why what?” I asked in confusion.

“Why stay on the job?”

I encircled the top of the beer can, deep in thought to a question I didn’t want to answer.

“That…” I strangely replied, “is the million dollar question.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, I met the assistants of the other members. Just like Woo Jin, they were all very friendly and kind. Over breakfast, they shared their stories as an assistant, and for a while, it felt like our job was saving lives. Unlike me though, they weren’t always asked to be beside their respective bosses. Apparently, only Luhan requires that.

Woo Jin offered to give me a ride to the hotel since the rest of the assistants will be heading to the event area to prepare. On our way, we shared some more of our stories like we couldn’t get enough of talking to each other. It was a good feeling, much like calm before the Luhan storm.

When we got to the lobby, all of EXO was already waiting, dressed in their sparkly clothes. Of course, my boss was MIA.

 

“Did you guys get a good night sleep?” I cheerfully asked.

“Yes!” They replied in unison.

“But, Min Ah, Luhan is still asleep.” Kris informed me.

“I noticed, I’m gonna go try and call him.”

“We already did that Min Ah.” Tao said.

“Maybe you should go up to our room.” Lay asked me.

Oh please no, not again. “He might be surprised, I think it’s better if one of you guys go there.”

“We don’t want to be hit by Luhan.” Chen explained.

 

Of course, I am officially Luhan’s punching bag. In the end, I was forced to go up to the penthouse. Chen gave me his key card, probably in guilt since he was the one who pushed me to get hit to go up. I went inside and saw Luhan lying down on the bed. I uncovered a part of the blanket to make sure he was really there and not half- somewhere.

He looked like an angel. I know it sounds ridiculous but the way his brows accented his closed eyes, the way his nose heaved as he breathed, the way his lips were perfectly sculptured, all of it was like that of an angel. Except of course when he’s awake, coz then he’s just a mean and diabolical jerk.

There was a battle in my head whether or not I will nudge him like the other time or shout at him. But I figured I might get hit or kicked. I then resolved to make an alarm. Now that I’m saying it, it actually is a pretty stupid plan. I took out my iphone, and clicked the warning alarm tone. I pressed it close to Luhan’s ear and put the volume to its fullest. (Fine, I admit, part of it was to get revenge on him for the fiasco last night.)

Enk. Enk. Enk. The alarm sound blasted on his ear.

In a second, he was up, surprised and agitated. “WHAT THE…?”

I wanted to laugh so badly upon seeing his face that looked like it just saw a ghost. Slowly, little chuckles escaped my mouth. Revenge Complete. His brows met and I noticed that he was about to blow his top, so I rapidly kept a straight face.

“You’re the only one left unprepared. They’re all waiting downstairs. So get up and get dressed.” I realized how authoritative I sounded, “- Sir.”

Unexpectedly, he got up and went to the bathroom without a word. I then prepared the clothes he was going to wear. I took the big bag I brought with me and put inside everything I could think of: three evian water bottles, a jacket, his headphones, first aid kit, tissues, and a small pillow.

“Get me my clothes?” Luhan shouted from the bathroom.

I took his shirt and jeans and brought it to the bathroom’s door where his hand extended. His hands brushed mine as I gave him his clothes. I shuddered from the little contact, I am such a fangirl, I know.  

After a few minutes, he came out with his white shirt still ed. I was sitting over by the coffee table and when he caught me staring, I instantly looked away. Seriously Luhan, what is it with you and being almost ? A simple white shirt and dark jeans looked real good on him. He slowly buttoned his polo while I tried my best to focus on something else, like the vase on the table for instance.

When I looked up at him, he had already wrapped his taupe tie over his neck. I noted that he was having a hard time tying it, so I offered help. To my wonder, he did not get angry or prickly.

“About last night…” he muttered.

I remained emotionless while fixing his tie, waiting for the rest of his words.

Was he going to apologize?

“About last night…” he stuttered, “don’t ever forget to reserve a room again.”

Of course if he apologized, he wouldn’t be my boss, he wouldn’t be the cruel Luhan I know. After smoothing over his tie, he headed to the door. I followed him and with his back turned, he said, “I hate unorganized people.”

Is there anything that you like Luhan? I never thought I’d be fascinated by how someone hates almost everything.

When we got to the lobby, the members teased Luhan if he hit me or not. But he just shrugged them off. Woo Jin glanced at me and mouthed the words, “Are you okay?” I nodded in response.

“What’s that hyung? A secret code?” Xiumin teased upon seeing me and Woo Jin’s silent talk.

“Woohoo!” the members teased.

‘What’s this Min Ah? You just met him last night and now you’re close?” Tao pushed me slightly to Woo Jin.

I laughed. And for some reason, the members thought it was because I liked Woo Jin. But really I just found it amusing how they can quickly change their attention from Luhan’s hitting habits to me and Woo Jin’s newly found “relationship.” Before they could deduce some crazy stuff like me being pregnant, someone interrupted.

“Let’s go.” Luhan loudly said.

In a second, the atmosphere became shivery. Here we go again, I thought.

 

A/N : Again, your comments are love. I hope you guys are enjoying the story :D