Chapter 5

Deep Down

The whole events of Sungmin screaming at me and Kyuhyun crying while bleeding from his hands had shaken me up quite a bit.  Sungmin's words echoed in my head, weighing down on my conscience, "he's depressed Leeteuk...I'm surprised he hasn't done anything to harm himself..." I felt absolutely horrible, like the world's worst leader.  How could we have done this to him, and why did I start it?

Sighing heavily, I walked into the kitchen to get a paper bag to put the shattered glass in and a towel to wipe up the water.  All the while I was cleaning up the mess, I tried to put myself in Kyuhyun's shoes.  I tried to imagine all of my best friends and family pretending like I was nonexistent, and the more I thought about it, the more my heart ached.  

I stood up, straightening my aching back, and went to dispose of the glass.  Ryeowook was in the kitchen putting away the last of the dishes for the evening.

"Hey Ryeowook?"

"Yeah hyung?" He replied, not bothering to pause his work.

"Could you, umm, cook an extra serving of food tomorrow for breakfast?"I asked timidly, scratching the back of my neck.  

"I thought you said that I wouldn't need to cook for Kyuhyun anymore." He said skeptically, putting a bowl in the cupboard.

I chuckled nervously, "well, due to some, uh, circumstances, he will be eating with us again."

Ryeowook shrugged, "whatever you say, it makes no difference to me."

"Thanks a bunch." I said happily, leaving to go check on both Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

I walked down the hall to their room and opened the door without knocking.  Seeing Kyuhyun curled up against Sungmin made me feel guiltier than before and I had to leave the room before I started to cry.  

Even though it was early to go to bed, I still got ready to sleep because I needed it.  The only problem about sleeping is that I couldn't do it.  I kept staring at the ceiling vowing over and over in my head that I would make everything up to Kyuhyun until I finally succembed to my tiredness.

While I was asleep, I had a dream about Kyuhyun.  He stood alone while all of us had our backs turned to him.  Well, sort of, it seemed like I was watching from the distance, but he was just standing there, eyes trained on the ground.  Then Sungmin suddenly turned around and went to hold his hand, which made Kyuhyun cry.  Then everything got fuzzy and came back into focus to show him and Sungmin walking hand in hand down a street.

"H-hey, you two!  Where are you going?" I called after them, unable to move.

They both turned around and Kyuhyun mouthed something that I couldn't hear, then all of a sudden, a car came out of nowhere and smashed into them.  I woke up shaking like a leaf, telling myself that it was just a dream and nothing was wrong.  Kyuhyun and Sungmin were just asleep in the room down the hall.  Even though I knew it wasn't real, I climbed out of bed to go check on the two of them.

Tiptoeing into their room, I felt around in Kyuhyun's bed for two heads of hair.  I counted, one, and two.  Sighing in relief, I put my hand on each of their backs to check if they were still breathing as well.  After I made sure everything was okay, I went back to bed.  Impatient to talk to Kyuhyun tomorrow.

Kyuhyun POV

I awoke in bed with Sungmin again, except this time I didn't mind it.  Trying to flex my fingers, finding that I couldn't and it hurt horribly made me remember what happened yesterday.  I bit back a sob that threatened to erupt in my throat and just buried my face roughly into Sungmin's shoulder, waking him up with all the sudden movement.  

"What's up?" He mumbled groggily, still half asleep.

"I'm hungry..."

"Okay...I'll go see if there's anything I can make you.  Come out to the kitchen in five minutes."  Sungmin yawned, while stumbling out of our room.

I sat up, picked up Xiao, and retrieved my sketchbook from underneath my bed. 

"He lied to me Xiao...he said he wasn't gonna talk to Leeteuk-hyung." I felt disappointed with Sungmin from breaking his promise, but there was nothing I could do about it.

--

The kitchen and dining room were full much to my surprise when I arrived.  In fact, I almost my heel and went back to our room, but Sungmin prevented me from doing just that.

"Kyuhyun!  You're finally out of bed, huh?" he beamed, dragging me by my wrist to a spot next to him and Eunhyuk at the table, "oh, and you brought Xiao with you too?  Let me just put him somewhere out of the way." 

I shyed away from Sungmin's grabby hands, not wanting him to manhandle Xiao.  I didn't realize how close the seats were together, and I accidentally bumped Eunhyuk's arm.

"Sor-" I stuttered out.

"Yah!  Watch where you're leaning!" He snapped, slamming his chopsticks on the table.

"I'm s-sorry Eunhyuk-hyung...I d-didn't mean to." I whispered, looking at the floor.

"Yeah that's right you're sorr- wait what?  Did you just call me hyung?" Eunhyuk barked, now on his feet towering over me in my seat.

"Y-yes?"

"You think you're real funny, do you?" He sneered, tapping the top of my head harder and harder, "you little brat...Being polite isn't going to make me like you any more than I did seven months ago.  You're just a cocky maknae with no-"

"Eunhyuk!" Leeteuk yelled, coming to the table with two plates of food, "that's enough.  He just wants something to eat and he doesn't need you bullying him."

The whole room fell silent and all eyes were on Eunhyuk, who was looking flustered that someone actually stood up for me.  Leeteuk just looked at him as if he was waiting for a retort, but Eunhyuk was too embarrassed now, so he stormed out of the room cursing under his breath.  Once he was gone, everybody went back to eating. 

Leeteuk set down the two plates in front of me, "Eat up Kyuhyun, Sungmin here tells me you need it."

Thoroughly stunned at his overall kindness, I looked up at him.  He just gave me his classic dimpled smile and a pat on the back.

"Where's my food hyung~?" Sungmin whined.

"It' coming," Leeteuk sighed, going back into the kitchen, "hold your horses."

"Kyu, are you okay?" Sungmin leaned over and whispered to me.

"I'm fine." I weakly reassured, staring down at my plates of food, hugging my kangaroo closer.

"Here you are you spoiled little kid." Leeteuk returned, teasing Sungmin.  Then he turned to me, "Kyuhyun, you haven't touched your food at all!  Do you still want it?"

"Yes..." I said in a small voice, "i'm just not used to...stuff like this."

"Don't worry about it, eat to your hearts content."  

Apparently my hearts content had gotten rather small since the last time I ate with everybody because I only had two forkfuls of egg, half a sausage, and a sip of orange juice.  I felt guilty when I told him I was done and I had only eaten one fourth of the food that had been prepared.

"I can eat more if you don't want the food to go to waste." I babbled on nervously, grabbing the fork, readying myself to eat more that I was capable of at the moment.

"No, it's okay Kyu.  Just calm down, and stop trying to do more than you're able to.  You don't have to feel bad about anything anymore."  Sungmin said, wrenching the chopsticks out of my grip and setting them on the table.

"Now, why don't you and I go on a nice walk to ease your mind?" he asked patting my hand.

I looked at Sungmin unsurely, "Can Xiao come along?"

"I would be more than happy to have him join us." he smiled back, patting Xiao's head lightly.  

My eyes lit up as I looked at him and then down to my kangaroo, "Xiao~ guess what?  You get to go outside again!" I giggled, squeezing him close to me, "the last time you were outside was when I rescued you from that horrible toy shop!"

"Go on and get ready you two.  Don't forget to wear your jackets, it's cold outside." Sungmin shooed us in the direction of our room.

Leeteuk POV

I furrowed my eyebrows at Kyuhyun's behavior.

"Hey Sungmin?" I asked, tapping his shoulder.

"Hm?"

"Why is Kyuhyun acting like a child so much?"

Sungmin turned to me, "Actually I've been doing a little bit of reasearch on stuff like this, and sometimes if a person is kept alone for long periods of time, they begin to act like a little kid.  Hence why Kyuhyun acts like Kyuhyun and other times a timid child."

I nodded in understanding, "Is that why he has Xiao?  And why he's so shy, and cries a lot?"

"Exactly why." Sungmin sighed, "The thing is, I don't know how to make him go back to the old Kyuhyun permanently."

A wave of guilt swept over me because I knew this was all my fault he was behaving this way.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" I asked nervously.

"Well, since he acts like a child that hasn't gotten any love in forever, my best bet is that we need to be super nice to him and act like parents."

That would be easy enough.  I was practically the mother figure of Super Junior anyway.

"And soon enough he'll be comfortable around people again and be back to his old self, hopefully.  Right?"

Sungmin thought about it for a while before replying, "In theory he should be back to normal soon because he hasn't been alone that long..."

"That's it then!  You can be the father figure since you've gained his trust, and I can be the mom like always!" I yelled happily, shaking Sungmin by his shoulders.

"Whatever you say."  He laughed, prying my hands off of his shoulders.

Still cheering on the inside, I vowed again to make everything.

"We're redy to go Sungmin!" Kyuhyun announced, walking into the kitchen carrying Xiao in his arms like a baby.

"Okay Kyuhyun, just let me get my stuff on." Sungmin got up and whispered to me, "Compliment him on Xiao's little scarf or something to make him happy."

I looked at Kyuhyun's kangaroo and saw that a little strip of cloth had been tied around it's neck.  That was supposed to be a scarf?  Oh well, here goes nothing.

"Kyuhyun? Where did Xiao get that little scarf? It really suits him!" I said while smiling.  

"I made it myself!" he said proudly, "doesn't he look suave?"

I laughed because I've never heard anyone call a kangaroo suave before, "Yes yes, indeed he does."

Sungmin came back into the room and called for Kyuhyun, "You ready to go?"

Kyuhyun nodded and raced out the door after Sungmin.

"Be careful of ice you guys!" I yelled after them.

After they left, I cleaned up the dishes and worked in the kitchen with Ryeowook.

"Hey Teukie-hyung? Could you call Sungmin and ask him to get some groceries for me?"

"Sure, what do you need?"

"Just some rice cakes, fish cakes, and red pepper paste, because we're out of that."  Ryeowook listed off, looking in the refrigerator.

"Okay, I'll give him a call." 

Picking up my phone I dialed Sungmin's number and relayed the message.

"Oh, okay.  I'll get those and be home soon!"

I hung up and went to check if Ryeowook needed anymore help.  He said he didn't, so I sad down on the couch and clicked on the TV.  Halfway through a program, my phone rang again, it was Sungmin.

"Hello?"

Sungmin was sobbing, "L-Leeteuk, it's K-K-Kyuhyun...he-" the sounds of sirens became louder in the background and I could hear people calling for help.

"Where are you?!  What happened?!" I yelled into the phone as I ran to put on my jacket and shoes.

"By the crosswalk in front of the grocery store we always go to.  Just please please hurry!!" He sobbed before the line went dead.


A/n: Well, I said I wasn't gonna end it in a bedroom with them going to bed.  This is way more exciting.  XDD this chapter was really long and a new record for me! Over 2,000 words! Yay!  Sorry i'm updating late ^^" I was celebrating my birthday with my friends and family.  Thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting! I need to think of a plot for the next story i'm writing, so if you have any suggestions, they would be much appreciated! ^^ See ya~!