HyoFany - "Run To You"

Hotel Restlessness (oneshot collection)

Tiffany’s POV

 

Have you ever wanted something you knew you could never have?

For me… it’s her.

Its always been her.

She dropped into my life unexpectedly, as if she suddenly fell from the sky. Well, if that really is how she came to be, then she must have hit the ground running.

Soshi University was never famous for its track team, at least not until she dropped in.

Have you ever heard the expression as swift as the wind?

That doesn’t even begin to describe the girl.

The wind would bow in the presence of Kim Hyoyeon.

Yellow Flash, a name bestowed upon her by her fan club.

The inspiration? Her hair.

Those soft blonde curls that flow past her shoulder, whipping in the wind as she flies down the track.

It’s astonishing really. If you blink you’d miss her, already seated on the bench as others can only hope to compete for second.

I’ve admired her from afar for awhile now. She’s intriguing to say the least.

I know it may seem shallow but the first thing that attracted me so strongly was her appearance.

I know I know but hear me out.

She’s shorter than me but I feel dwarfed in her presence. Confident without even a hint of arrogance. Her aura radiates a calming effect, one that has melted more hearts than just my own.

I may sound like a byun when I say this but my eyes have lingered over every inch of her physique more times than I’d like to admit.

It started with her hair, long, silky, begging me to run my hands through it. Then my eyes would trace along the back, admiring things that have made my face flush a shade of red that would make the autumn leaves return to green in envy. Her thighs, tanned and toned from hours of running in the harsh sunlight. My gaze shifts upward, linger much too long on her irresistible abs, which have made their presence known on multiple occasions. Not that she shouldn’t be proud of them, but how am I supposed to keep myself together when I see them poking through the bottom of her thankfully short cut shirt as she stretches out her toned body. Eventually I would make my way back to her face, not that I was in any rush of course. I would run my eyes across her jaw line, the subtle curve of her lips, and back to her chocolate brown orbs.

But those eyes… they changed my feelings of infatuation into so much more.

I guess you could say it all started that day, with those eyes. The day I began to hunger for the real Kim Hyoyeon, not the façade she parades on the surface. The day of our first one on one race.

 

It was the middle of Autumn. Our usually lush green field transformed into a warm colored landscape. Leaves of hundreds of shades canvassed the area with a beautiful array of deep reds and crisp yellows. Our track was not spared from this onslaught, much to the dismay of the custodial staff. Our practice delayed as we watched them blow away the assailants, uncovering the all too familiar track once again.

A cold breeze rocked through my body. I hugged my nonexistent jacket close, silently cursing coach for forbidding them. “Three things will slow you down on the track, thoughts, fat, and clothing.” Is her constantly repeated mantra.

A ray of sunshine that woman is.

“Hwang!”

Speak of the devil and the devil shall appear.

“I want you to work with Hyoyeon today.”

A dream come true?

You would think I’d be elated.

But I’m not.

I’m nervous. I can’t imagine running next to her. Hell, I can’t imagine what it must be like being alone with her.

My heart’s already beating so erratically and she’s still a hundred steps away.

I place my hand on my chest to ease it, only to realize my palms are drenched in a thin film of sweat.

Keep it together Tiff, she’s just a girl.

But you’re as stupid as I am if you believe that’s true.

I stand once again in the shadow of her overwhelming aura. For the first time I feel unsafe in her presence. Almost as if she’s dangerous, a little too mysterious.

“Yes?” She turns to face me from her seated position on the ground.

In that moment I freeze. I never took her for an Ice Princess, but here I am, frozen in my spot by her icy glare.

“Are you the girl I’m supposed to be helping?”

I barely manage to choke out an inaudible, “Ah, ne.”

“Let’s get started then.”

She jumps from the ground, her long ponytail bouncing to the rhythm of her precise movements.

I’m already under the spell.

 

The first thing we do is stretch.

Her range of motion is impressive. She easily slides into all of her positions, not even a grunt or whimper of complaint escapes her lips.

“What’s your specialty?”

Her question catches me off guard. It’s not like I don’t know my specialty, it’s just… She’s actually talking to me.

I guess I didn’t mention this before but Hyoyeon doesn’t exactly have a reputation for being the bubbly talkative type. The only person she ever says more than three words to is coach and even that’s pushing it.

I wonder… Maybe, just maybe, she considers me closer than the rest.

Or maybe I’m just daydreaming.

It wouldn’t be the first time.

“Ms. Hwang?”

“Ne?”

Ms. Hwang? Not even unnie, Tiffany, I’d even take Miyoung.

My assumption couldn’t have been more off.

She must not even consider us friends, let alone anything more.

“Please, call me Tiffany.”

“Ne. I asked for your specialty.”

She doesn’t even glance at me as she speaks. But for some reason it doesn’t come off as rude.

Strangely, it’s enticing.

I want to make her notice me.

It’s almost like a challenge.

“Tiffany?” She snaps her fingers in front of my face, pulling me out of my delusions.

“Ne?”

“You sure space out a lot.”

“Sorry. My specialty? Short distance.”

“You don’t need to apologize. It’s kind of cute actually,” she lets loose a small smirk before heading off to the track.

I’m pretty sure I’m having a heart attack. I can actually feel my heart pushing against my chest and threatening to leave me for good.

Cute? She called me cute.

Ms. Hwang? She also called me that.

What am I to her?

It’s only 9:00 a.m. ad she’s already driving me insane.

“Coming?” Her husky voice cuts through my thoughts once again.

“Ne.”

I’d follow you anywhere.

What are you saying?

I don’t know.

“Lets race.”

“What?!”

Me against her? She’ll annihilate me.

“Yeah. I need to assess your skills and see what we need to work on.”

“Okay.”

I watch as she sets herself in position.

Captivated. In that instant she has captivated me, placing me even further under her spell.

Her gaze is smoldering, intense, possibly burning a hole straight into the ground below.

Even though it’s only practice, she doesn’t play around.

…..

I don’t even think I can describe how badly I lost because the description itself would be longer than the race.

 

For the rest of the day we slowly worked on form and technique.

She’s an amazing teacher, but I don’t think I retained a damn thing. Why? How the hell am I supposed to focus?

First off she is unknowingly parading around me in her perfectly fit track uniform. Second she keeps brushing against me. Every time she tries to show me something she presses us together, grabbing my arms and positioning them by my sides has turned into in my deeply erted mind. I feel the goosebumps erupt from my skin as her arm pushes on my back, demonstrating something about posture. Like I could listen to her with that y, husky voice and be able to remember a single word of it.

All I know is I’m so hot I don’t need a jacket anymore.

“Tiffany, are you okay? You’re sweating an awful lot,” her brown orbs delve into mine, evident concern plastered on her face.

Great, she’s considerate too.

How badly is she going to make me fall?

Without waiting for my response she hands me a water bottle as well as a towel.

“Make sure you wipe off all the sweat. If you don’t you could catch a cold.”

Hard. She wants me to fall hard.

 

Once again it’s time to run. Thankfully most of Hyoyeon’s teachings subconsciously stuck.

I’d feel awful if she spent all of that time working with me and had nothing to show for it.

“Good job Tiffany. You shaved two seconds off of your time.”

She’s praising me. I think I can hear the angels singing.

There goes my wild imagination again. I think I’ve seen too many Nicholas Sparks movies because the chance of this between us is slim to none.

It’s not like this praise matters. Maybe if those two seconds would at least put me in the same spectrum as her time.

I just want to catch up to you, to close the distance between us that you’ve created.

 

At the end of practice as we pack up I decide it’s time to muster up my courage and ask her.

“Hyoyeon?”

I don’t think I could’ve possibly picked a better and worse moment to call her if I had tried.

She turns, her newly removed shirt bundled in her fist as the new shirt hangs limply in the other.

“Ne?”

“…”

Thankfully she slides on her new shirt and my voice returns from whatever far off land it disappeared to.

“You called me?”

“Ne, umm. Do you want to go get some coffee?”

She pauses for a moment, tapping her finger on her chin. “Well…”

My face drops at the expectation of her answer.

She immediately freezes, her eyes locked on my defeated expression.

“Sure. Just let me finish changing.”

 

The first thing I learned about Hyoyeon, she’s weak against my pout.

 

After she leaves I take the opportunity to explode with the pent up happiness and relief she created with those few words.

“Whoa Tiff, where’s the fire?” Bora pokes her head out from behind one of the rows of lockers.

“Hyoyeon-date-she-me-us…”

“Honey, breathe.”

“IaskedHyoyeononadateandshesaidyes!” Somehow, possibly because of our long friendship, Bora was able to understand the near gibberish that came out of my mouth.

And now we’re both screaming, garnering attention from every girl in the locker room.

“The goddess Hyoyeon and you?! I can’t believe this! How-why-but?!”

“Bora, breathe,” I repeat her earlier advice.

“I better get details later,” she notices Hyoyeon’s reappearance and quickly disappears once again.

“Was someone screaming a second ago?” She darts her head around with the cutest confused face I’ve ever seen in my life.

“It was ummm… me,” I chuckle embarrassingly.

“Because?”

“There was a bug.”

“A bug. You screamed over a bug?” She laughs.

“Yah! Don’t laugh!” I repeatedly punch her shoulder.

I can’t believe I’m doing this right now. Earlier I was scared of her and now I’m laughing as I beat her up.

Kim Hyoyeon, what are you doing to me?

“Aish sorry sorry sorry! Shall we go.”

“We shall.”

 

Soshi University Coffee House

 

Do you know why I love Fall so much?

Three words. Pumpkin spice latte!

“What are you getting Tiffany?”

“Pumpkin spice latte!” I shout just as loudly as I did in my head, attracting a lot of unwanted attention.

“Whoa,” she laughs. Ugh that laugh, she’s killing me. “Why is that so exciting?”

“Are you kidding me? It is the essence of Fall. No pumpkin spice latte no Fall,” I huff as I cross my arms, much to her amusement.

At her laugh I smile so widely I’m positive my eyesmile is huge.

Her face changes instantly, her eyes transfixed on mine.

Did she like my eyesmile?

Oh my God. Kim Hyoyeon likes my eyesmile! The goddess Hyoyeon likes my eye smile!

“Ah… okay. Two pumpkin spice lattes then.”

She ordered for me, she ordered the same thing, and she paid for me. Anyone who buys me a pumpkin spice latte has a special place in my heart.

 

With our orders finally in hand we search the crowd for a seat.

After minutes of combing practically the entire campus we end up back at the track field, sitting high on the raised metal bleachers.

I forgot how cold it was but now that I’m back here, the wind whipping around so carefree, abdicating the leaves from their treetop thrones and depriving me of any warmth. Oh yeah, it’s cold.

“Are you okay? You’re shaking a lot.”

“I’m just a little cold but it’s…”

“Here,” I feel a bundle of fabric draping down my arms,  covering my back and filling me with what’s left of her body’s heat.

Her jacket, the smell is comforting.

Laundry maybe?

I must look strange burying my face in the fabric like this but I can’t help it. It’s like a part of her, and it’s all around me.

“Are you sure you don’t need it?” I eye the girl with concern but she looks the same as ever, unaffected by the biting cold.

“It’s fine. I don’t get cold very easily.”

An embarrassingly large smile spreads across my burning face.

She’s a lot nicer than her cold exterior would’ve lead me to believe. I’m glad.

I take another sip of my latte, letting the warmth flow through me.

For a while there’s a very long silence. But it isn’t awkward at all. The silence suits the atmosphere, it suits us.

I glance over at the girl, she has leaned back on the bleachers, her eyes closed and her entire face relaxed.

Is she asleep?

The normally quiet and cold Hyoyeon is peacefully asleep on the bleachers, and I’m sitting here, lulled by the rhythmic rising and falling of her chest.

“Why are you staring at me?” Her eyes are still closed but I know that she’s confident in her assumption.

How did she know?

“Huh?”

“You’re staring at me. Is there something on my face?” She smirks.

Yes. That smirk. That y, dangerous, playful smirk. I want to kiss her, I’m positive that’s what this feeling is. But I won’t do that. There’s still too much distance between us.

But God knows I want to.

“Did you want to ask me something?” She still has yet to open her eyes but after this much conversation I can no longer assume she’s just sleep talking.

This is my chance.

“Y-Yeah,” I stutter slightly, trying to find the appropriate way to ask this without insulting her. “How do you run the way you do? As fast as you do I mean?”

Her eyes snap open immediately at my question.

Her expression changes, only for an instant, but I catch it.

The pain, why does she look like she’s in such pain?

Before I can say anything her expression shifts once again, back to what can only be described as a painted smile. It isn’t real, it’s just there for my sake.

 

What is she hiding from me?

 

Her answer isn’t immediate, instead she faces the field, her eyes trained harshly on the beaten track below us. I can’t see her eyes very well anymore, but something’s changed. She’s gone, locked somewhere in a distant place, somewhere I can’t follow her to.

What are you thinking about Hyoyeon?

Where does that gaze take you?

“I’m sorry Hyoyeon. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

The silence continues for a little longer. Eventually her eyes gain focus again, returning from black to that gorgeous chocolate brown I’ve become accustomed to getting lost in.

“Tiffany?” She whispers.

“Ne?” She’s never spoken so softly before, so gently. Something has changed between us, I just wish I knew what.

But even though she speaks so tenderly, part of her is still missing, distant. It’s as if we hadn’t been in each other’s company all day but had only just met moments ago.

Suddenly I don’t feel so warm anymore, maybe it’s because she was the reason for it in the first place.

“Why do you run?”

Where is she going with this?

“I don’t really know. I haven’t thought about it before. I guess I run to win…”

She places a finger over my lips, her eyes still trained on the track but I can tell her attention is back on me once again.

“Never run to win. That’s your first hint.”

And just like that she disappears like the passing breeze, gone in an instant.

But I still have so many questions, more than ever before.

 

Soshi University 12:00 a.m.

 

After Hyoyeon left it dawned on me that I have a huge Biology test tomorrow.

I didn’t leave the library until late into the night, my textbooks gently tucked under my arm and Hyoyeon’s jacket zipped to the top.

“How could it possibly have gotten colder than earlier?” I mumble curses at whoever was in control of the weather, a trail of steam spiraling behind me and disappearing into the blackness.

As I make my way to my car I can’t help but notice a strange abnormality on the other side of the car lot.

The track field lights are on? They’re never on this late, at least I don’t think they are. I’ve never been at school all night before but you would think they’d turn them off when they aren’t in use.

Against my better judgment I decide to investigate.

Perfect script for a horror movie, brunette investigates the track at midnight only to be found hanging from the flagpole the next morning.

Aish Tiffany! Don’t chicken out!

 

After crossing the abandoned parking lot I enter through the locker room, eventually reaching the cement hallway where we come out for practice. Something inside me tells me to tread lightly here, afraid the echoing of my steps in this long corridor would intrude on something.

But what is my subconscious so afraid of interrupting?

Why do I suddenly feel nervous?
I come here everyday but it feels unwelcoming now, almost like I’m trespassing.

But that’s ridiculous right?

Right?

 

I hear the pounding first. It’s not an unfamiliar sound, it’s the constant repeated thrum of sneakers slamming against the track.

But there’s something different about this sound. It’s rampant, almost too fast. In fact, it is too fast. Too fast for most people that is.

Could it be?

 

My assumption was right on the money. The case of the mysterious night runner solved by ace detective Hwang.

Our culprit?

None other than the infamous Yellow Flash, Kim Hyoyeon.

Who else would

A.Run in this weather?

B.Run in the middle of the night?

C. Be able to run at that speed?

 

Once I spot her I want to go after her, to tell that insane girl that now is not the time to practice, but something stops me. A higher intelligence inside tells me to conceal myself.

Something tells me this feeling is right, like I need to hide. As if all of a sudden this feeling of foreboding that entreated me yet also bade me to run away as fast as I could seemed clear.

But it isn’t. The water is just as murky as the moment I met Hyoyeon. The only thing I’ve been able to follow since I’ve met her is my feelings, and this one’s a strong one.

 

My view of the field definitely isn’t one I would pay money for. Her face is unclear, her expression invisible to my eyes. But it is an exclusive show, my own private show, even if she doesn’t know it. Maybe her not knowing is what makes it so appealing.

Her running is mesmerizing. I lose myself instantly, watching as she encircles the track over and over again. The pounding of her sneakers has turned into a rhythm. A fast but smooth and steady song. She doesn’t slow down, her pace actually increasing as time goes by, but her rhythm as steady as ever.

Hours draw on, the night grows longer, but I’m trapped under her spell, unable to leave even if I wanted to. There’s only one way to free me, she has to stop running, but that doesn’t happen for a long time.

When she does stop, it comes unexpectedly, as if even she didn’t know it was happening. Her body gave out on her, that’s the only explanation I can come up with.

The first sign was her legs, the way they sped then slowed only to speed back up again. It was against her rhythm, against her doing.

Then she slowed drastically, completely unable to attain the speed she once held so easily.

Finally she dropped. Not dramatically as if she had unexpectedly tripped or God forbid lost consciousness. It was gentle, graceful even. She floated to the ground softly, accepting that her body refused to go any further. She showed no evidence of the near marathon she had just undertook. No heavy breathing or sweating as far as I could see. Just the normal lulling pace of her chest rising and falling. It was almost as if the turf where her home and she was simply lying down to sleep on her bed of broken brown grass and pieces of dirt forlornly flung from the path she tore with her blazing speed.

It was adorable, childlike. It redefined all of my expectations of her.

Watching this serene scene I relaxed, my shoulders slumping and, worst of all, my arms releasing the load of books they had so tenderly cradled all this time.

It may have just been my overactive imagination but I will always believe that the slam of my textbooks crashing to the ground echoed throughout the entire stadium.

I didn’t stick around to find out what happened. I just ran, not even bending to retrieve my fallen books.

 

The Next Day

 

I didn’t get much sleep the previous night. It didn’t help that I  arrived home at 4 .m. but I guess that’s my own fault.

The rest of the blame I rest on her shoulders.

I couldn’t even begin to focus after what I had witnessed. Every time I closed my eyes I saw her speeding up and down the path, her arms pumping and sneakers rising and falling as they pushed off once more, accelerating her further and further. Every noise dredged up the memory of my book and the thunderous echo that surely was heard by the entire campus.

I know I’m being dramatic but it’s just so embarrassing.

How would you feel if you were caught practically stalking your crush?

Did I just admit to stalking her?

Ugh! Pull it together Tiffany!

And then to top it off I have to see her again today at practice, which should be exciting but now I’m scared she’ll call me a creeper or something.

my life.

And now I have a Biology test too which starts in… I’m late!

 

Soshi University Biology Class 3A

 

“Alright class, settle down settle down. Now as you all know the test today s worth a major part of your final grade.”

And I’m going to fail. Great.

“But as I’ve walked around campus I’ve noticed how diligently you’ve all been studying. As a reward I’m going to let you use your notes on the test today.”

The other students begin chattering with excitement but only six words run through my mind

My notes are in my book.

As if this day couldn’t have gotten any worse.

“Ms. Hwang?”

Stupid *bang* stupid *bang* stupid.

“Ms Hwang! Please stop banging your head on your desk for five seconds. In case you didn’t notice your notes have just been delivered,” the professor laughs.

Why is he so amused?

Oh… that’s why.

I lift my head only to come face to face with the one person I’ve dreaded seeing more than this test.

“You left this at the track. Good luck on the test Tiffany,” she winks, her signature smirk dancing across her lips before she once again blows out of the room like the passing wind she is, constantly blowing in and out of my life leaving me wondering where she came from and where she’s off to now.

My book. She brought me my book.

Pairs of curious eyes keep darting between me and the goddess who has just left the room.

I think this scene is going to cause more of an uproar from the student body than when the principal got fired for dating a student.

“Was that the Kim Hyoyeon?”

“Did she actually just talk to Tiffany Hwang?”

“She even used her first name.”

“Did you see that wink, her smile, what’s between them?”

“Are they together?”

 

Can you tell that I passed that test with the widest smile to ever spread across my face?

 

And of course my day doesn’t get any less shocking from there. Once I exit the testing room guess who was standing outside?

“So, how’d you do?” She passes me a latte, still warm from her touch, and pulls me into the library, much too close for me not to be blushing madly.

Her question doesn’t even register in my brain. I’m way too focused on four things.

1. She waited for me.

2. She brought me coffee, my favorite coffee.

3. She’s holding my hand.

4. People are staring.

“Tiffany?”

“Ah sorry. What was the question?”

The unexpected has now become the expected.

Why?

Kim Hyoyeon has burst into a laughter. Uncontrollable, natural, beautiful laughter.

If no one was staring before they sure are now.

“Yah! What’s so funny?” I jab her in the arm repeatedly, completely forgetting the fact that we are surrounded by onlookers.

“You space out way too much. I asked how you did on the test pabo?”

“Very well thanks to you. How did you know I had a test today?”

“You scribbled It on a note in the front of your book.”
“But how did you find my class though? There’s over 5 Biology classes on campus.”

“Umm,” she looks around nervously, drumming her fingers on the table.

She didn’t. No way she did.

“Did you check each one?”

Her sheepish smile reveals everything.

“Hyo! Those classes are all across the campus. That must’ve taken you forever.”

“It was nothing. Running is my specialty after all. It was just like a light jog for me.”
“Well thank you. I really appreciate it.”

“You don’t need to thank me. I just didn’t want you to get into trouble.”

I guess she isn’t going to say anything about last night. I’m sure not going to be the one to bring it up so I guess it’s case closed.

“So, did you learn anything from my hint yesterday?”

Did I? I hadn’t really thought about it. In fact, after all that happened yesterday, it was the furthest from my mind. But I have to think of something. I can’t let her know that I forgot so easily.

“I guess I learned that I should run for myself, not just to win but because I enjoy it.”

She nods slightly, “You’re close. I’m sure you’ll get it eventually.” She checks her watch and smiles. “But we’ll talk about that later. Right now we have a practice to get to.”

 

Soshi University Track Field

 

I hadn’t noticed it until now but this is the most times in the same week that Hyoyeon has attended practice. I mean, she’s the golden child, the Yellow Flash, she doesn’t need practice.

So why now?

“Hwang!”

“Yes ma’am?”

“You showed a lot of improvement yesterday so I want you to work with Hyoyeon again.”

Score!

For the rest of the day we practiced together. It was almost the same as yesterday. Her voice, her touch, just her, her all consuming power over me. But I focused a lot better today. We both seem a little more comfortable, less nervous or anxious. Even the atmosphere felt a little less tense. It’s astonishing how much closer we’ve grown in such a short time, but I’d be foolish to think that the gap between us wasn’t still tremendous.

 

Soshi University Track Field 12:00 a.m.

 

I don’t know how I summoned up the courage to return here after my embarrassing actions yesterday.

Am I foolish? Maybe. Maybe I want to see if curiosity really does kill the cat.

I even dare to linger closer tonight, much closer. Much too close to remain comfortable, the fear of getting caught looming over me with it’s cold, dark shadow.

The same questions from last night rear their ugly heads.

Why is she here? What is she doing? Why does it feel like I’m spying when I have just as much right to be here as she does?

I repeat the same pattern as the night before. I watch, the pumping of her arms, the smoothness of her movements, even the steady thrum as she breaths in and out. I listen, the sound of her sneakers contacting with the asphalt-like path, my heart beat thudding in my ears, even my own breathing that has become so loud now that everything else is so silent.

Watching, listening, learning, hoping to understand somehow.

There is only one difference tonight, but it’s a difference that couldn’t go unnoticed. This time I could see her face, every expression burned into my memory like a traumatic experience.

I’ve never seen Hyoyeon’s face when she runs before. I mean when would I? The only race I have is the short distance, a race in which we run together. Other times I sat on the sidelines, only able to cheer from afar, never really seeing what happens below the surface.

She cries, at least right now she does.

Her eyes are the worst part. I looked deep into them, deeper than I ever have. Her eyes have always intrigued me. They could freeze me, make me smile, even melt me down to the core. I obsess over them. But the pain… I sort of ignored it till now.

Now they shine black, transfixed not into the distance but into some faraway place. It’s that place, the place where she always disappears off to, the one I can’t reach.

Once again I feel like I’m intruding.

This time, I leave before she ever stops running.

 

Soshi University Track Field 10:00 a.m.

 

“Tiffany?”

“Ne?”

“What do you think of when you run?”

Today is my third private practice with Hyoyeon.

I don’t know if she has noticed my strange behavior. I can’t bring myself to look into her eyes, those eyes, and I can tell my overall behavior towards her is cold.

It’s like we’re back to day one and I’m scared of her once again.

“When I run? I don’t think of anything. Coach says that thoughts weigh you down.”

“She’s wrong,” I gaze at her now, taking note of the sad smile beginning to form.

Is she okay?

Suddenly the thoughts of last night resurface.

Has she ever been okay?

“Only trivial thoughts weigh you down. But important ones, those can give you the drive you need to run faster than ever before.”

 

After practice she disappeared without a word. The reason why is obvious.

She’s hurting, and there’s not a thing I can do about it…

 

Soshi University Track Field 6:30 a.m.

 

I decided not to follow Hyoyeon last night. Something told me that not only was it not a good idea but the probability of her being there was low.

Why?

Our first meet of the season is today.

Coach put me down for two races today, the 400 and 200. Both of which Hyoyeon competes in as well.

Speaking of the goddess, I can see her right now.

She’s on the other side of the field, sitting down on the barren grass amongst the castaway autumn leaves, alone of course.

Her behavior is strange, beyond the usual that is. By now she would be stretching, her eyes still groggy but b with focus.

But she’s just sitting there, staring off blankly at the horizon.

I fix my eyes in her line of sight.

There’s storm clouds in the distance, their presence ominous and foreboding. But they don’t worry me, the rain won’t come this way today.

I hadn’t realized it but the entire time I was talking to myself I had been taking cautious steps towards her. Now only about ten paces away I stop.

I know it sounds silly but in that moment I can actually feel my breath being torn from my lungs at the sight of her.

Her blonde hair, cascading over her shoulder in a loose ponytail is beyond magnificent. Reflecting the colors of the sun it gives off a warming glow, splashing color in iridescent strands of bright orange and yellow. It was almost as if a halo was forming above her head, angelic.

But she wasn’t staring at the sun, not even the slightest interest was given to the beautiful display only inches from her line of sight.

She was still focused on those storm clouds slightly to the Northeast.

Why would you ignore something so breathtaking to look at those disheartening clouds?

They weren’t even comparable.

My eyes trail back to her again.

She’s trembling.

Not violently but just enough to be noticeable from this distance.

I thought she said she didn’t get cold easily.

“Hyo?” I shake her shouter gently but she doesn’t respond. “Hyoyeon?”

“Tiffany?” She rubs her eyes and looks at me groggily.

“Were you nodding off or something? You look exhausted.”

“No, just remembering something.”

She looks back at the clouds once more before following me to the track.

“So Hyoyeon, are your parents coming to watch you today?”

“N-n-no. They’re b-busy.”

Why is she stuttering like that?

“Mine neither. My family is in America.”

I pause for a response but there isn’t any.

The look in her eyes tells me I’ve lost her to that place again, the place I could only dream of going to.

What did I say this time?

 

9:30 a.m.

 

“Alright team listen up!”

9:30 in the morning and she’s already shouting. I can feel the headache now.

“Today we are running against JYP University. They have a reputation that I’m sure all of you are well aware of. In case you don’t allow me to inform you. JYP University is possibly the rudest, most awful team we run against. Be on your guard because they will fight dirty. Keep an eye on your legs, don’t let them trip you, don’t let them push you. If you fall you get back up. No one better stop. If someone falls you keep going, got it?!”

“Yes ma’am,” the girls shout in unison.

My thoughts go to Hyoyeon. I’m worried about her. As our best runner of course they’re going to target her.

But she doesn’t appear worried, in fact she’s calm as ever, still staring out at the sky.

 

The 400 Meter

 

My eyes keep on darting back at forth, Hyoyeon, the JYP girls, back to Hyoyeon.

She must feel how heavy my gaze is because she meets my eyes, a smirk dancing across her lips.

The referee takes his place near the track, the gun already in his hands.

I watch Hyoyeon’s eyes grow black in an instant, distant once again.

*Gunshot*

The first quarter of the race went fine. Hyoyeon was far ahead of everyone else and I could tell the JYP girls wouldn’t stand for that.

I feel a leg under mine but it’s much too late to do anything about it. I sprawl my arms out to catch myself, my face meeting the turf and ankle twisting under me.

“Appa!”

Coaches words race through my mind but I can’t get up. I hear Bora shouting my name but the pain drowns everything else out.

“Hyoyeon! Go damn it! What the are you doing! Kim Hyoyeon!”

Hyoyeon?! Oh God did they get her too?

I search for her but the blood pouring from the scrape in my forehead covers my eyes.

Coach is still shouting but the ringing in my ears makes it hard to distinguish what she’s saying.

I feel a pair of arms under me, unknowingly I curl into the embrace of whoever’s carrying me, trying to ease the pain my fall caused.

“It’s going to be okay Tiffany. I’ve got you.”
Hyoyeon?

“Hyo..”

“Don’t talk, there’s a cut around your mouth.”

It’s definitely her.

 Is the race over?

“Kim Hyoyeon! What the was that?!” Now that I’m this close I can clearly hear Coach yelling. “You were winning! Why did you stop?!”

Stop?

And then it clicks.

Hyoyeon stopped running to come help me.

Kim Hyoyeon lost a race… for me.

 

Tiffany’s Dorm

 

I haven’t been to practice in a while, a combination of my sprained ankle and this horrid weather leaves no option for practice. From what I’ve heard from Bora, Hyoyeon hasn’t been to practice since I left. The rumors of what happened that day of the meet have spread like wildfire. Thankfully her record wasn’t tarnished though, the judge expunged the race from the record and JYP University was disqualified since it was obvious that girl purposely tripped me, causing a sprained ankle and a near concussion. I see her sometimes, a streak of blonde passing through the hallways of the dorms. She doesn’t stop to talk to me, not to anyone. The whole school is in an uproar over this mess. People come to my room, begging to know if we’re officially together and when Hyoyeon plans on returning to class.

I would like the answers to those questions as well.

I never expected something like this to happen.

After seeing what happened, the look in her eyes when she runs, I didn’t think anything could stop her. But I did. My cry of pain stopped her. She was willing to lose for me.

What do you want from me Hyoyeon?

I’m more confused now than ever before.

 

Tiffany’s Dorm 11:00 p.m.

 

Normally I would be asleep by now but the thunder and lightening raging outside refuse to allow me that luxury. Since I can’t sleep I absentmindedly walk around my room, hoping for the rain to cease to a light lull and let me get some sleep tonight. My ankle is healing pretty well so I can finally return to practice tomorrow.

I wonder if she’ll come back once I do? I guess I want to test that theory.

Don’t be silly Tiffany. You’re lucky she came when she did. She’s just back to her old habits again, she probably won’t be seen till the next meet.

But she’s never missed school before… I don’t know.

How can one girl rule over my thoughts this much? How can one girl leave me so confused, captivated, and completely intoxicated with her being in so few words?

I’m so wrapped in her it hurts. It hurts so much just thinking of her.

*Knock knock*

Who could that be?

As I approach the rapping on the door becomes more forceful and rapid.

“I’m coming!”

I swing open the door, meeting three girls who are slightly drenched from the rain.

“Tiffany unnie! We need your help!”

“What is it Seohyun? It’s kind of late.”

“It’s Hyoyeon unnie.”

 

It didn’t take anymore than those words to get me out of my room.

 

The three girls lead me down the many corridors of the dorm, talking in some unintelligible babble that I don’t even try to make sense of. I grow wary when they begin to lead me outside but I quickly remember why I’m here and proceed into the near hurricane landscape.

I can hardly see a thing, a thick curtain of rain blocking even the slightest ability to ascertain what I’m seeing.

But eventually I do see it, the thing that brought me from my dorm in the middle night without a second thought.

It’s her, lying down in the rain as if this horrid flurry of icy wind and sharp rain were nothing but a minor nuisance.

What is she doing out here? She must be freezing.

The girls help me to carry her inside, her arm firmly draped around my shoulder. I never found out what room was hers and the absence of a key means she’s staying in my room for the night.

I’m sure this will only fuel the hungry flames surrounding our relationship (what relationship Tiffany?) but I could care less at this moment.

I thank the girls and begin my work on Hyoyeon.

I pull her hair out of her face, expecting some sort of reaction but the only answer is the shallow intake of breathe that seems a little too slow for comfort.

She’s out cold.

I feel for her hands, icy to the touch.

How long was she out there before they found her?

I grab every blanket in the house to warm her but something keeps nagging at the back of my mind.

She won’t get any warmer in wet clothes Tiffany.

I don’t want to admit it but my inner voice is right, I have to do something about her clothes.

“Dear God, please keep my hormones in check,” with that prayer in mind I begin.

Since we’re around the same size I gather an outfit together, sweatpants, a jacket,… undergarments.

I can’t believe I’m doing this.

“Tiffany hwaiting!”

The first thing I do is remove her pants.

*gulp*

This is how I’m going to die. This is literally how I’m going to die.

The police will find me dead holding Hyoyeon’s pants and my headstone will say that I died from being a ert.

Calm down Tiffany, you can do this.

The only thing I can think to do is close my eyes, no matter how tempting it is to look. If I look I’ll lose it.

I take the towel and begin drying her legs, unfortunately feeling every inch of skin as I wipe it down.

I must’ve done something horrible in a past life to deserve this.

Once that’s ummm…. done, I move on to what will be written down in the history of my life as the hardest obstacle I have ever had to face.

I have to replace her underwear.

I don’t even attempt to do this with my eyes open. I do it quick, imagining the color pink and Totoro and everything else I love to distract me from taking advantage of the unconscious goddess that God has placed in front of me.

Once that’s done I move upwards. Now I have another mountainous obstacle to overcome, replacing her bra. I remove her shirt easily, having already seen this much of her a thousand times in the locker room. I can feel the drool dripping on my chin as my eyes mull over her sculpted core. I’m positive I stood like this for a whole five minutes, her shirt off, standing over her in a compromising position, my eyes darting back and forth between her bra and abs.

If she woke up right now she’d probably scream .

I know I know but damn does she have an amazing body.

Focus Hwang!

Oh God I yelled that in Coach’s voice.

Gross.

I officially just turned myself from on to off.

 

“Well that’s done,” I give myself a congratulatory pat on the back for not taking advantage of this amazing opportunity presented to me.

The next thing I do is wrap her in the several layers of blankets, every inch of her skin covered in the warm cloth. I can already feel her begin to return to normal temperature. I grab the towel, absorbing the rain water from her hair so it can’t drip back onto her and spoil all of my hard work.

I press my hand to her forehead, she still seems cold.

The body is the best heater.

Great, even my inner voice is a ert. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t right. With that in mind I snuggle up to the blonde, enveloping her in my arms and snuggling my face into her hair.

She smells like the rain. It would be nice if it weren’t so disconcerting, reminding me of how long she was probably lying out there in this weather.

She shivers slightly at my touch but sometime during the night I feel her reciprocate, curling into my embrace in search of warmth.

I should be melting right now. This is everything I’ve ever wanted. But I can’t enjoy it, not when it’s built on so many infirmities.

She isn’t here by choice, she isn’t curling into me because she loves me, it’s all a lie. But how I wish it were true.

“Omma, appa, please stop,” I lean over to more clearly hear the words she mumbled but she is already back to silence.

I’m more than concerned now.

Her parents, they pop back into my mind where I had considered them but for a moment that day.

Did something happen between them? Why was she asking them to stop?

I feel something drop onto my hand, even more troubling.

Why is she crying?

 

Tiffany’s Dorm 3:00 a.m.

 

I awaken to the sound of retching escaping under the crack in my bathroom door. I turn to Hyoyeon but the spot she once occupied is empty, her warmth still lingering in the sheets.

I rush to the bathroom, swinging open the door and giving her a near heart attack in the process.

“Hyo!”

The blonde is slumped over the toilet, her face a sickeningly pale color, sweat dripping from every pore as she strains to hold herself above the floor.

*vomiting*

“! Hyo are you okay?”

She doesn’t respond but slumps back to the ground.

“Here,” I fill a glass of water and press it to her lips.

She gladly gulps it all down.

“Where am I?” She mumbles.

“You’re at my room. Some girls found you passed out in the rain and we brought you here.”

“Oh. I’m sorry, have I been burdening you?”

“No Hyo it’s fine. I don’t mind taking care of you.”

“Tiffany?”

“Yeah Hyo?”

“Can you turn away for a second?”

“Why?”

And she vomits again.

 

After the contents of her stomach are beyond empty I help carry her back to bed. She insist on sleeping on the couch but once I brought out my HellFany side she was more than happy to comply with sleeping on the bed with me.

I learned a little more about the kind of person she is. She doesn’t like to bother people, she would probably leave if I let her. She also tries to hide her pain. I catch her rubbing her head and I know she has a headache. I dash to the cabinet for some pills. She looks beyond confused when I give them to her but I can tell she’s thankful for them with how quickly she gulps them down.

You’re a strange girl Hyoyeon, but it’s so intriguing.

 

Tiffany’s Dorm 9:00 a.m.

 

When I awaken Hyoyeon is missing. I become frantic for a second before the smell of food infiltrates my senses.

Dear God if the girl can cook I am beyond in love.

“Hyoyeon?” I of course find the blonde in the kitchen, her head bowed over a pan and the steam billowing around her in a thin veil.

“Good morning Tiffany,” she smiles, her eyes still focused on her work.

“What are you doing up? You should be resting if you aren’t feeling well,” I eye her with concern but she returns the gaze with a smile.

“I’m fine Tiffany. Just a little cold.”

Don’t tell me she’s really going to lie to me, after everything that happened last night, I think I at least deserve an explanation.

“It’s not just a cold Hyoyeon. You were out there in the rain for God knows how long. What were you doing out there in that storm?”

“I don’t know. I guess I must’ve been headed home and fainted.”
Why is she lying to me?
“Are you hungry?” Without waiting for an answer she slides a full meal onto my plate.

I look around for her own but she hasn’t set anything out for herself.

“Aren’t you going to eat something?”

“I’m not hungry.”
Of course she’s not hungry. She’s obviously still sick.

“Hyoyeon, you have to eat something. After all that vomiting your stomach must be completely empty.”
“I’m fine Tiffany. Once I finish cleaning up I’ll head home. Thank you for taking care of me.”

“You aren’t leaving Hyoyeon.”

“Excuse me?”
“You’re sick. You’re sick and you live in a single dorm where there’s no one to take care of you. You’re going to sit down and eat and let me take care of you,” It seems that HellFany has come to play, her strict tone sending a shiver down Hyoyeon’s spine.

“I’m going to…

“Sit.”

“and…”

“Eat.”

“Then…

“Go back to sleep.”

Her expression is priceless, the confusion too much for her brain to handle.

With that same goofy expression on her face she complies by taking the seat next to me, quietly eating her breakfast and stealing constant glances at me.

I like this side of her. She’s like a puppy, her eyes caught between a cute pout and slight confusion at her situation.

“Finished?”

“Ne.”

“Okay then. Go back to bed and rest. I’ll come check on you before heading off to practice.”

“Ne,” she quickly complies, shutting my bedroom door behind her.

Well that was easy.
 

After I finish cleaning the dishes I go to check on her.

She’s gotten worse.

The first sign is the eminent amount of sweat, the sheets drenched in a thick coating of it. She’s shivering as well, her whole body noticeably trembling.

I grab the thermometer from the medicine cabinet and shove it under her tongue.

102.

Not enough to warrant the hospital but it’s still disconcerting.

I drape a cold cloth across her forehead and replace the blankets she has cast off in her struggle.

“Please stop fighting,” she whispers, a tear snaking from her eye before she begins trembling again.

I climb into the bed with her, pulling her into a loose embrace.

“It’s going to be okay Hyoyeon. No one’s fighting. You’re safe here, you’re safe with me.”

I don’t know where those words came from. They just felt… right I guess.

 

Soshi University Track Field 5:00 p.m.

 

I didn’t want to leave her but I promised Coach I would be at this practice. Having no other option I left Hyoyeon a note, I listed the medicines she should take, let her know there was food in the fridge, and of course a little threat incase she thought now would be the perfect time to plan a little escape.

Practice is strange. I’ve grown accustomed to working with Hyoyeon, isolated in our own little world from the others. But now I go back to working with Bora, stretching in preparation for the laps to come.

“Hwang?!”

“Yes ma’am?”

“Come here for a second.”

Before exchanging a confused glance with Bora I jog over to Coach.

“Yes ma’am?”

“I want to talk to you about Hyoyeon.”

“Ne?”

“Not here. Follow me.”

I glance at Bora one more time, motioning for her to begin without me as I follow coach to her office.

“What do you want to ask me about Hyoyeon?”

“I want to know how she is.”

“Hmmm?”
“Don’t play dumb Hwang. I’ve known you’ve had a crush on her from day one and I also know from Seohyun that she’s staying in your room recently. What goes on between you two is your business but I just want to know if she’s okay. She hasn’t been to class in awhile and of course I thought she would be returning to practice when you came but for some reason she isn’t here.”
“Wait, why would she come just because I was here?”
“You didn’t know?”

“Know what?”

“She agreed to come to practice from now on when I asked her to train you.”
“What?!”
“Yes Hwang. The only reason she has been attending practice all this time is because she got to train you.”
“But why would she want to train me?”

“It beats me. So are you guys ummm together I mean?”

“….”

“I know it must be embarrassing to talk about that with an old woman like me but I just want to make sure Hyoyeon gets taken care of properly. That girl has been through a lot of hardship and she deserves someone who can turn that around.”
“What do you mean by hardship?”

“I’m not sure I should be telling this but umm… you care about Hyoyeon right?”
“…”
“Tiffany, I know you love her but unless you know this she won’t ever be able to love you. She won’t be able to love anyone.”
“Yes ma’am, I love her. I’ve loved her for awhile now. But she’s always so distant. Every time I think I’ve gotten close to her she becomes distant again. And then there was the incident last night…”

“Last night?”
“Yes ma’am. A bunch of girls found her unconscious in the rain and that’s why she’s staying with me. She got really sick and that’s why she’s not here today, she’s staying in my room. That’s how Seohyun knew she was staying with me.”

“She was outside during that storm?”

“Yes ma’am. And last night she was mumbling something… I can’t quite remember.”
“Was it about her parents?”

“… yeah. She was telling them to stop but after that she didn’t say anything else.”
“It’s just as I thought. She’s thinking about them again,” she trails off for a second. “I normally don’t give out students personal information but I need your help Tiffany. I believe both you and Hyoyeon can be amazing on my team. I think you can both make each other better, not just in running but you can help each other forget the past. I know about your mother Tiffany but you aren’t the only one on this team with that kind of problem. Hyoyeon also doesn’t have a mother.”
“Please Coach, I want to help her. Tell me everything.”

“Very well.”

“As you know I had to meet all of your parents before you joined the team but Hyoyeon was a special case. Hyoyeon actually came from an orphanage. After digging into her history I found out some things. First off Hyoyeon’s mother was murdered, brutally stabbed to death in front of her. Her father, well…”

“Yes?”

“He’s in jail for murder and child abuse.”

“What?”

Hyoyeon… I can’t believe this.

“I’m sure you can assume what happened from there for the most part but I dug even further. Hyoyeon is a special case, we’re very lucky to have her. Her abilities are amazing, I had to know how she became that way. It turns out that to convict her father they wanted Hyoyeon to testify in court. But she was only eight years old, the fear of her father and his constant abuse as well as witnessing him murder her mother was too much for her to face. So she ran. In every literal sense she ran from him. That’s how she became so fast. Her father had some… connections you could say. He sent people after her. And she ran from them. You’ve seen her when she runs right?”

“…”

“Your expression says it all. She feels fear when she runs. She thinks of him when she runs, every time she steps on that track she’s running from him. I don’t like her feeling that kind of pain. I want her to enjoy running. That’s why I need your help Tiffany. Please help Hyoyeon forget her past and stop running away from it.”

I can’t say a word. It’s like Coach has just filled in every missing piece of the puzzle. I can finally understand her. I can understand everything. I finally know exactly what to do.

 

Suddenly the sound of thunder shakes the air around us.

“! Looks like we’ll have to cancel practice again. You should go home Tiffany….”

But I was already gone.

 

Outside Soshi University Dorms

 

I’m running, the rain piercing my skin like thin needles, the puddles drenching my legs as I crash my sneakers in and out of them.

There was only one missing link, one thing that I just couldn’t quite put together. But I understand now. It’s the rain… It’s always been the rain.

 

She’s out here in this storm. I can sense her presence.

She’s running, just like I am. But this time, this time I can catch her. I can catch her because I’ve finally answered all of her questions.

 

~ “Why do you run?”~

 

I run because it makes me forget. I run from my problems, my family, anyone who tries to get close.

 

~ “What do you think of when you run?”~

 

I think of you Hyoyeon. As crazy as it sounds I think of you. I think of catching up to you, I think of beating you, I think of getting your attention.

All I’ve ever wanted for you is to notice me, I thought catching you would do that.

I love you Hyoyeon, and I accept your challenge, I’m going to catch you.

 

After twenty minutes of running I see her, a flash of blonde in this depressing landscape of black and gray.

The thunder and lightning strike again but they don’t frighten me anymore.

“Hyoyeon!”

She turns for a second, our eyes locking, and then she takes off.

You aren’t escaping now.

I take off, the rain splashing as I push away from the concrete. I catch a flash of movement as she bends around the corner.

I turn the same corner, my speed increasing with renewed vigor at the sight of her.

“Hyoyeon!”

She turns another corner, but now she’s trapped. She ran into the park, no more turns or hidden alleyways she can duck into. It’s just one long stretch.

 

I can feel the scene shifting. It’s like we’re on the track again, the rain giving way to the sun as it was on the day of our first race. The puddles and grass transforming into the fall leaves as the sidewalk transforms into the track.

Come on Tiffany! She’s right there.

And she is, she’s closer than I’ve ever been to her. I extend my arm but my hand meets the air.

How am I supposed to catch her? She’s running from so much, her mother, her father, her abuse, her pain, her childhood….

What am I running for?

 

Tiffany! You’ve got to catch her! She can never forget unless you help her! You know what you have to do…

She’s right. I have my own reasons for running. I’m not like her, I’m not running from something anymore. I’m running towards someone.

I’m running to you.

 

I snag her, both of us tumbling to the ground.

 

I caught her! I caught Hyoyeon!

I constrict her in my arms. She tries to keep running but soon realizes it’s futile.

I look into her eyes, meeting that deep pool of ebony signaling she’s still gone.

“Hyoyeon! Hyoyeon come back! Come back to me!”

But she still doesn’t respond.

Was I too late? Have I actually lost her this time?

 

No, I refuse to lose her.

There’s only one thing I can think to do. Out here, in this downpour, I’m going to tell her how I feel. Every single word that my heart feels it needs to will be said now.

 

Hyoyeon, listen to me damn it. It’s rude to ignore a girl when she’s confessing her feelings.”
I feel a twitch of response but her eyes are still dark and somber.

“I’ve loved you ever since the first day I met you. I was stupid at first, only falling in love with your appearance just like everyone else. I fell in love with your hair. It showed me that you were different, rebellious even. People noticed you because of that. You stood out but that’s just who you are. You weren’t going to dye your hair to fit in, and that’s when I first started to like you. Then there was your attitude. You were so cold and distant and people loved that mysterious side of you. I love it too. But I know there’s more than that, I could always see that. I know that under this façade there’s a girl that once cared too damn much and now she’s hiding that so she won’t get hurt. But you’re caring Hyoyeon. If you didn’t care you wouldn’t have offered me water or made sure I wiped my sweat. You wouldn’t have checked every classroom and brought me my textbook or brought me coffee or even have gone out with me that day. I also know that you’re strong, too strong. You’re stubborn and crazy and I love every bit of it. How could you try to convince me you’re okay when you were dying this morning? You’re so stupid that way. But I know you can be weak. You always gave into my pouting and eyesmile. I guess that’s when I started to believe you were interested too. When you suddenly came to every practice I knew something was strange. But you came for me, you came every day to train me. I know you’re interested. You want me because you know I’m the one who can save you.”

Another twinge of response. Her eyes grow softer, closer, it’s working.

“That’s when you started dropping hints. You we’re training me for this moment, you’ve always wanted me to catch you. And I did. And do you know how I knew you would be here? It’s because every piece of the puzzle finally clicked for me. I know your father abused you, I know he killed your mother and I know what happened that night. You ran away. You ran away because it was raining outside. Something about the rain attracted you, it made you feel safe didn’t it? But you didn’t stop running. You still haven’t stopped running. But it’s okay Hyoyeon. He’s in jail, he can’t hurt you anymore. I want you to stop running from him. I want you to start running to me. I want you to run to me so I can make you feel safe. I love you Hyoyeon, please stop running. Can you promise me, promise to run to me from now on?”

My eyes emulate the sky. The tears spill to the concrete, mixing with the rain, carried away to a farther place.

“Tiffany?” The dark clouds inside disappear. She’s back. All of her is back.

“Hyoyeon!” I engulf her in my embrace, tears spilling over and drenching her shirt even further.

“Tiffany, everything you said, it’s all true. I’m so sorry.”

“I don’t need you to be sorry Hyoyeon. Those aren’t the three words I want to hear,” I laugh.

I laugh at her, at our situation, at how crazy we look. Everything just suddenly seems so hilarious.

“You’re right. I was interested in you. You were different. Coach told me about your mother dying and that made me curious. So I wanted to train you that day. That’s why I asked why you run. I expected you to say something about her but I was wrong. You weren’t like me, and I found that irresistible. And then that day I really began to notice you. I noticed how I love the way you’re raven hair curls over your back, draping down your shoulders and just barely touching your waist. I loved your eyesmile, it left me speechless that day. I loved how you were curious about me, how you smiled just because I smiled. I loved your goofy behavior and how you got excited over such little things. I love the vulnerable side of you. I felt that I could take care of you. I felt like you were a part of my life I could control. I could keep you warm, I could help you, I could keep you safe. I loved that you seemed so secure. I even love that scary side of you that made me stay in bed when you knew I was sick. But then came that day of the race. I hadn’t realized my feelings yet, but you made me stop. No one has ever made me stop running before. But you were hurt, and I couldn’t stand that. Running from him meant nothing to me anymore, I just knew you needed me. That’s why I disappeared. I didn’t know what came over me. I needed time to sort things out. That’s how I ended up in the rain again. You were right. The rain is special to me. Whenever my parents fought or my father decided to beat me I listened to the rain. And if there was no rain I imagined it. The noise took me away, it took me away to a happier place. I had to run in it. Every time it rains I think of him and I just have to run because it’s like I can feel him, like he’s still chasing me like he did that night. I was so scared. But then you grabbed me, I thought it was him and I slipped into that world again. But just now, when you confessed to me, that place evaporated, and now I’m here with you, in this rain, and he’s gone. And all I can say is… I love you too Tiffany Hwang. And I promise I’ll run to you from now on. Because I am irrevocably, completely, head over track shoes in love with you.”

And just like that we shared our first kiss in the rain, allowing it to wash away our past and let us start over new with each other, sealing our promise to never run from our problems ever again, but to run to each other.

 

My love, Kim Hyoyeon, I’ll always run to you, I promise.

 

So what do you guys think of my first ever one shot. By the way I'll always write in purple. I t was so strange writing a one shot so let me know your opinions and what I can improve on. Also give plenty of praise to your main author Datmao because she thinks I'm going to outshine her so make sure you remind her how much you guys love her. As always (if you read my main story that is) subscribe, fantasize, criticize, romanticize, and I'll see you again one day. Your faithful servant ~AfterSNSD

What a little poopy. I wrote in purple last chapter now I have to change my color to teal. I like teal so I shouldnt be complaining and she is a great friend so... BUT anyways! Thank you to everyone who has subscribed and upvoted after her little debut with our family here at the Hotel Restlessness. I told you that she would outshine me. No? Be honest guys! You dont have to sugar coat it for me (; and as I always say. 

comment.subscribe.yell at me.

-Kai(datmao)