More and More Raisins

Happy Birthday

Ruby swears her face is completely red as she stands just outside the gates of the school.

“So it’s a date!” Her friend, Alyssa, announces, clapping her hands. Ruby wonders why she’s even friends with Alyssa sometimes. “You and Roy meet at six later today for dinner and walk around and eat dessert okay that’s how it goes.”

“What, no-” Ruby begins to protest, but Alyssa dramatically places her hand over Ruby’s mouth making her unable to speak.

“You have no say. You will both meet outside the supermarket, okay?”

And with that, Alyssa is gone and Ruby only sighs and walks home to get in her best clothes. She thinks she’s only going because she’d be rude if she didn’t, seeing as Alyssa planned it all, but she’s wrong. She really just wants the D Roy to like her back.

-

With a  loose but thin white sweater, a floral skirt up to her knees, heart stockings and coral-coloured flats, she heads out of her house and happily hums some weird song on the radio she heard lately called ‘bom bom bom.’

What does that even mean?

She shakes the thought out of her head, and her high ponytail shakes with it as she arrives at the supermarket, scanning around of Roy. She finally finds him standing against a pillar in a dark blue dress shirt and grey jeans playing on his iPhone.

Walking up to him nervously, Ruby plasters a huge smile on her face. Roy looks up and smiles, putting his iPhone away and looking her up and down.

“You look… good.” He says finally.

What does that even mean?

“So…” Ruby mumbles awkwardly.

“We should get going,” says Roy. “It’s a bit early, and I’m not super hungry. Let’s walk around.”

Ruby lights up and nods her head, and they set off.

The first store they head to is a small book café, because Roy had said he wanted to buy a specific book. Ruby sits at the café section and is honestly very tempted to buy some sort of dessert or hot chocolate or something, but she’s saving her appetite.

But then she thinks, if she’s hungry and eats everything, will Roy think she’s a pig?

She gets up and asks a nearby person to look after her bag, and takes her wallet and goes to buy a hot chocolate with marshmallows, but before she takes out money, someone else pays, and she feels a hand around her waist that pulls her closer.

“I’m your date; I should be paying,” he says. Ruby splutters a thank you and goes back to sit down, and watching Roy laugh and get the change and come back to sit down with a book in his hand.

Soon, she’s sipping on hot chocolate and he’s reading his book and Ruby’s stomach is calmed but her head is rushing with thoughts but it’s okay, because she’s happy. Also, when Roy laughs when he’s reading the book, she swears her life is complete.

-

They walk around for a while, both not terribly hungry. Roy opts for watching a movie, and Ruby asks if it’ll take too much time.

“I guess it will,” says Roy sadly.

Ruby is sad at the heartbroken look Roy is making, but she loops her arm through his and he looks back, shocking, but not pulling away. She looks away and blushes, and pulls Roy along.

Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she spies something right inside the depths of a shop that she just really wants to wear every single day. She pauses in her walking, and Roy stops with her, obviously confused.

“What’s wrong?” he asks.

“I-I…” she begins, not sure how to phrase it. “Would you mind if I bought something? Just one thing, and I promise it’ll be quick.”

Roy laughs. “Sure.”

Ruby pulls Roy along, and walks straight to a cute peach skirt with a brown waist belt with string that ties it together. She smiles and hold it up against her and poses.

“How do I look?”

Roy laughs and tells her she looks amazing, and Ruby starts to go to the counter with her heart beating madly in her chest. She gets pulled back by Roy, who has found a cute with sweater with a simple outline of a bunny on it. Ruby widens her eyes- how did he pick it out and knew she’d actually like it?

“Try it on,” encourages Roy.

“W-Will you hold this for me?” Ruby asks, holding the skirt out.

“Sure.”

She pops into the changing room, changing quickly (it fits her so perfectly and it’s warm and perfect), and she heads out.

She scans around for Roy, but she feels a tap on her shoulder, then she turns, and he’s there with a large smile.

“It looks amazing on you.” He smiles.

Then, she’s back to the changing room and buying the sweater and skirt quickly, and shoving it in her back so she can focus on her date with Roy.

-

They finally find a table at some fancy but not too fancy restaurant. It’s close to the wall, and Ruby sits down and takes off her bag. Roy does the same, and smiles neatly at her as he settles down.

“I think I’ll have a vegetarian omelet and some plain rice,” says Ruby, humming.

“Are you vegetarian?” asks Roy. Ruby can see he’s genuinely curious.

“No,” she answers plainly. “I just feel like it today.”

“I think I’ll have lobster soup and a basket of garlic bread.”

Ruby raises her eyebrow and Roy smiles widely.

“It’s not a real meal, I know, but I still don’t feel hungry. I think I might buy a salmon sandwich later on.”

The order the food and fall back into conversation. Roy talks animatedly about how he loves to sing and play the guitar, and Ruby nods her head along to every little thing Roy says. He eventually asks her some questions about herself. She answers them; happy Roy is curious about her own life.

Soon, the food comes, and Ruby happily eats her rice and Roy happily dips his bread in the soup and smiles. They fall into a comfortable silence the rest of the meal.

-

“That was really fun,” Ruby says as they’re walking back.

Roy had offered to walk Ruby back home, and unable to deny the sweet offer, she had said yes.

“That… really was very enjoyable.” Roy admits. “I’d love to do that again with you sometime.”

Ruby stops walking because they’ve reached her house.

“Really?”

“Really.”

Ruby looks down and shyly at her feet as Roy continues to talk.

“Even if that really was kind of forced, I did have fun admittedly, and I’d love to do that again with you, this time, without Alyssa’s help.”

They exchange numbers and Ruby heads home.

Many minutes later, Ruby gets a very cute text telling her to sleep well, and she really does.

 

 

 

~~

RUBY I'M PANICKING IT'S NEARLY YOUR BIRTHDAY AND I ONLY HAVE 2 FICS COMPLETED?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!
YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE FUN READING THIS ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AREN'T YOU OMG
PANIC PANIC
NEXT ONESHOT COMING SOON BC IT'S ALMOST HER BIRTHDAY?!!?!?!?!?