INVASION

WITH OR WITHOUT YOU (temp title only)

I felt cold.  I searched for my blanket, but it was nowhere.  I slowly opened my eyes.  My mind started processing again.  I fell asleep.  For how long, I didn’t know.  What I know is the frame of Jiyong standing at the foot of my bed holding my blanket.  I jumped from the bed as fast as I could.

You have five minutes to wash your face.  He dropped the blanket and went out.  I scrambled my way to the bathroom. 

I quickly brushed my teeth. My hair was a mess.  I don’t have time to wash it.  I just tied it into a bun. I washed my face with a small towel. 

I grabbed my hoodie hanging at the back of my door.  I came out as I put on my jacket.  Jiyong was already closing the front door.  I ran after him closing the lights as I go.

Jiyong took the driver’s seat.  I silently thanked him.  I can’t drive with my mind still unaware of my surroundings.  I’m still mentally sleeping.  Once we came out from the building, my eyes drooped back to sleep.  I didn’t know I was that tired. 

We were already outside SBS when Jiyong shouted at me.  I’m still disoriented.  I lazily followed him to the building.  The bright lights were hurting my eyes.  I pulled down my hoodie as low as I could.  I was following Jiyong like a zombie.  I was unaware of the curious look everybody was giving me. 

I sat in the corner while Jiyong is having his makeup done.  I have been yawning incessantly.  I decided to look for a coffee vending machine.  Thankfully, there is one on the hallway.  I bought two cups of coffee.  Black and strong for me.  I need to keep awake.  I drink my coffee as I went back to the dressing room.  Another cup on my hand.  I placed it in front of Jiyong and returned to my seat in the corner without saying anything.  I didn’t see the attention I was getting from the staff inside the room.

It was time for Jiyong’s performance.  I followed him to the backstage still ignorant of my surroundings.  People were whispering to each other as I passed by.  I kept my hood down to my face.  I can’t show my face in that state.  I looked horrible.  I was having my third cup of coffee while Jiyong performs on stage.  He is good according to what my eyes were seeing.  Everybody in the backstage was watching him with admiration.

His performance ended with a loud applause.  Everyone was cheering and congratulating him.  He was sweating bullets, but he has a wide grin on his face.  I handed him a clean towel.  People were rushing to him.  I avoided them and stood where Jiyong could see me.

I was watching him when he started looking around him.  When he saw me, he motioned me to come over.  The crowd had subsided, but they were still lurking around the backstage.  I handed him a bottle of water when I got near him.

Put a towel on my back.  Jiyong said.  I get another clean towel from my bag.  I stood behind him and put the towel on his back through the opening on the lower part of his shirt.  He was sweating like a pig.

Are we done yet?  I asked as I wiped his arms with a towel.

We still have an after party.  We’ll be leaving in a while.  Get me another set of clothes in the car.  I have to change.

Okay.  I removed the towel on his back and changed it with a new one before leaving the backstage.

I was able to fix myself when I get back in the car.  I brushed my long hair until it shines.  I put on some powder and applied lip gloss.  Jiyong’s clothes were already paired up.  I chose the simplest one from his trunk of designer clothes.  It’s an after party.  Normal clothes should be enough.  I returned to the building still keeping my hoodie pulled down to my face.

I found Jiyong in the dressing room.  The makeup artist was removing his makeup.  He stood up and started undressing in front of everybody.  I helped him until he finished changing.  I put his drenched stage clothes in my bag.

The bar/restaurant was just three blocks from SBS building.  The people inside greeted Jiyong as he entered.  The place was jam packed.  I saw YG from the deck.  There were familiar faces I’ve seen before in YG Building.  Jiyong joined YG’s group.  I trailed behind him silently.  YG motioned me to sit with him.

Why are you hiding your pretty face, Dara?  He asked once I got near him.  He pulled up my hoodie exposing my puffy eyes.  I straightened my messy hair with my fingers.

You look like a zombie.  YG blurted out.  I just smiled at him.

Are you working her off, Jiyong?  She looks thinner than before.  YG asked Jiyong.

Hyung, aren’t you going to congratulate me instead?  She’s been sleeping most of the time.  Those eyes were for oversleeping.”  Jiyong pouted.  He stared at me angrily.

Don’t work too hard, Dara.  Hye Sun will scold me if she saw you like this.

Haisssttt! Hyung, forget about her.  I’m the star here.  Why are you ignoring me?  Jiyong whined like a child.  Everybody was laughing at him.

Alright, Jiyong.  You worked hard.  Satisfied?  YG .

HYUNG!  Jiyong exclaimed.  They burst out laughing.

 


 

Jiyong workouts in YG Building’s in-house gym under the supervision of Mr. Hwang.  A professional trainer. 

He also encouraged me to workout my small frame.  At first, I declined.  He let me start with simple exercises.  When he thought my stamina can endure, he introduced me to more intense workout.  He said I needed it to keep up with Jiyong’s active lifestyle.

I was on the thread mill while Mr. Hwang was assisting Jiyong on the weights.  The door bursted open.  A tall girl entered and ran to Jiyong.  I watched the actions behind me through the glass walls.

Jiyong got up from the bench upon seeing the newcomer.  She hugged him tightly and kissed him on the lips.  Mr. Hwang looked away, but my eyes were glued at the couple.

I missed you.  The girl exclaimed.  She started kissing Jiyong all over his face.

Kiko.  What are you doing here?  Jiyong asked.  He stopped the girl from kissing him.

I came all the way here just to see you.  I missed you so much.  You don’t answer my calls anymore.

I was busy.

Not too busy to workout though.  The girl pouted.

Can we go somewhere?  She asked.  She didn’t mind the man standing next to them.

Jiyong looked at Mr. Hwang.  He was asking for permission.

It’s fine with me.  Mr. Hwang said.  He doesn’t have a choice afterall.

I stopped the thread mill.  I don’t like what’s going on.

Where are you going?  I asked.  Jiyong was already preparing to leave.  The girl snapped her head at me.  Her short hair framed her square face.

Who are you?  She demanded.  I ignored her.

We’re going out for a bit.  Jiyong said.

Why?  I asked.  The girl was already shooting bullets at me.

Who is she?  She asked Jiyong.

Kiko, why don’t you wait outside.

But- 

Jiyong pushed her to the door.

Does YG knows about this girl?  I asked casually.

I’ll just send her to her hotel. 

I looked at my watch.

You have thirty minutes.  Right, Mr. Hwang?  Mr. Hwang shrugged his shoulders.

Don’t tell YG.  Jiyong said before closing the door.

Thirty minutes.  I reminded him.

Who is that?  I asked Mr. Hwang.

That’s Kiko.  A Japanese model.  They used to be together.  Mr. Hwang explained.

Are you serious?  That one?  She’s not even pretty.  I snorted.

Well, it was her who first asked Jiyong to date.  She’s like a leech after that.  Jiyong can’t get rid off her totally.

Mr. Hwang and I waited in the gym.  Thirty minutes had passed.  No sign of Jiyong yet.  I was playing with my phone.  Ready to dial YG’s number.  Ten minutes more.

Jiyong should not forget that YG is still my immediate boss.  I still have to report to him.  Since Jiyong haven’t done anything unnecessary, there was nothing to report.  He was too busy to do anything stupid to break YG’s rules. 

Until today. 

I should have tag along with him.  It’s the first time I was left behind.  We always come together everywhere he goes.  I became his shadow.  The hooded shadow.  I earned the title.  Nobody calls me by my real name in the workplace.  I’m always seen beside him.  I always appeared together with him in photos in every publication.  But nobody have seen my face totally exposed.  Nobody have seen the real me except for YG family.  I still remained the hooded shadow of Jiyong in the industry.

We didn’t talk about my appearance even once.  Jiyong doesn’t mind.  Or he just doesn’t care.  It was always bright where Jiyong goes.  Spotlights.  Flash bulbs of cameras.  Disco lights.  Those heart my eyes.  My hoodie saves me from headaches.

Time is up.

 

Jiyong pov

My thirty minutes is already up.  Why does the elevator have to be stuck?  That rat should be calling YG right now.  Why does Kiko have to come to Seoul?  I thought we broke up already.  She’s one sticky leech to get rid off. 

The elevator stopped.  I rushed to the gym.  Dara has her phone on her ear already.  I ran to her and snatched the phone.  I cancelled the call she’s making.  True to her words,  she’s already calling YG to report.

Can’t you wait a liitle bit more?  I was running like hell just to get here on time.  I ranted at her.

You should have not left in the first place.  I was being generous for giving you 45 minutes.  I should have called YG when you stepped out of that door.

Rat. I hissed at her.

It’s good you still remember.  Let’s go.  She grabbed our things from the floor and headed outside.

Where’s Hwangsabu?  I didn’t see him in the gym.

He left a while ago. 

We rode the elevator in silence.  When we reached the lobby, she pulled up the hood of her jacket once again.  She keeps hiding her face once she’s in the open.  I don’t know what she’s thinking, but I didn’t asked her about it.  I thought it’s better that way.  She might catch unnecessary attention if she showed her face in public.  She’s been getting attention within YG family already especially Teddy.

 Once we were in the car, I heard my phone ringing.  I just stared on the screen.

It’s her?  She asked. 

I ignored her.  The ringing stopped for a while.  Then another call came.  Dara grabbed the phone from my hand.  She answered the call.  I was surprised to hear her speaking Japanese fluently.

YAH!  Stop calling.  She shouted.

Me?  I’m your worst nighmare.  So stop calling or else I’ll deport you.  Go back to your country and get on with your life.  We’re busy.  We don’t have time for your drama.

Move on, girl.  He’s not interested anymore.  Goodbye! 

Dara pressed the end call button with too much force.

Shameless .  She was still speaking in Japanese which I didn’t understand.

How many language do you speak?  I curiously asked.

What?  She snapped at me. 

Five.  Hangul. English. Japanese. Chinese. Filipino. I know basic Spanish.

I didn’t say anything.  I think Dara was scary when she lost her self.  I haven’t seen that side of her.  Usually, I was the one who shouted at her.  But, as time goes on,  everything flipped over.  She scolded me.  She even shouted at me whenever I try to do something foolish.  I’m starting to hate her guts.  She’s not afraid of me anymore.  I didn’t know when it all started.  I just woke up one day and everything was reversed.

She even wears my clothes.  She didn’t bother shopping for her own clothes.  Whenever she ran out of clothes to wear, she would rummaged through my closet.    I didn’t know how my clothes fit on her small frame, but she ended up looking good in my clothes.

I couldn’t tell her to stop wearing my clothes.  I don’t have the heart to humiliate her. Her closet must be filing up with my clothes already.  I don’t need to confirm that.

Whenever the product I was endorsing would send me things, I would give her everything not to my liking.  But, I would take it back once I saw how it looks good when she wears it.  She would sometimes rant at me about it.

She’s still awkward everytime someone from the company visited in the house.  She stays in her room until the guests leaves.  But, when YG unexpected dropped by, she was ecstatic.  She even cooked a special dish for him.

It was a different story when my mother suddenly appeared.  She didn’t know Dara was staying at my house.  I thought my mother would go ballistic.  She was rather pleased at seeing Dara.  They talked the whole time.  Sharing secret recipes and tips.  It’s like watching the in-laws getting along together.  My mother hardly noticed me.

Whenever my mother and I talked on the phone, she would always ask about Dara.  I have a feeling she just calls me to ask about her.  Why can’t she just call her directly and ask.  I’m not Dara’s keeper.  For Christ’ sake.