Volunteer Service .

A Walk To Remember

Author POV

"Volunteer service?" Jinyoung scoffed, "Like hell I'm doing that."

"Well, you have no choice." Mr. Liu reached into his drawer, and pulled out a picture of a young man. He slided it across the desk. "I assume you this boy?"

"Chan Sangjun." 

"He was injured in a stupid--"

"Look," Jinyoung interrupted, "I know what happened. If you think it was me who did it, you got the wrong person." Mr. Liu raised an eyebrow.

"Well, who else would it be? You were in the room, the night it happened. Hell, Jinyoung, when we found Sangjun you were crouched right next to him--"

"I was trying to save him!" Jinyoung spat, "Look, I went inside the science classroom and I found Sangjun on the floor. I tried to help him...." 

Now, part of what Jinyoung is saying is 90% true. Yes, he did try to help the poor boy. But, Jinyoung's clueless act is all false. 

Shinwoo did it. Shinwoo threw the menthanol in Sangjun's face as a harmless prank. Jinyoung came along with Shinwoo just to see what would happen. He didn't mean for anybody to get hurt. 

He could rat out Shinwoo right now, but Mr. Liu won't believe him anyway. But, Jinyoung will keep denying everything until there's nothing more to say. "So, why'd you run when the hall monitor saw you?" Mr. Liu questioned. "You wouldn't need to run if you didn't do anything wrong."

"I just got spooked." Mr. Liu shook his head.

"You defend yourself all you want, Mr. Jung. But, I know you did it so I might as well just give you your punishment."

"What? Are you going to expel me?" Jinyoung sighed. 

"No...not yet. I have another punishment set for you, I actually think it would benefit you."

"What?" 

"Besides attending all your regular classes, you will help our janitorial staff after school--"

"For pay?"

"No. The reward is the satisfaction of helping others. Now, on the weekends you will tutor students at our sister school. And, finally, you will participate in the drama club's play."

"The spring play?" Jinyoung groaned. Mr. Liu nodded.

"Now, Jinyoung, I know you may find this as a punishment... but, I just want you to be around people. Better people. It's time that you experienced other things. Spend time with different kinds of people. Don't blow it, Jinyoung."

----------------------------------------------------------

Saturday. 

Jinyoung POV

"Wake up, Jinyoung!" I felt my brother throw a pillow at my face. I angrily threw it back on the ground.

"Lee Joon, it's saturday. No school." I said, my voice muffled from under blanket sheets. I could hear his foot steps come closer to me.

"Did you forget?" Lee Joon scoffed, pulling the sheets off me. "You have to go and tutor those kids."

Lee Joon proceeded to grab me by the shirt collar, dragging me out the bedroom door. "Go get ready now, you're going to be late!"

---

"Volunteer service..." I mumbled to myself, as I walked up the front steps of an middle school. "This is going to be terrible." I took the map of the school Mr. Liu gave me before hand, and unfolded it. 

I have no idea how to read it. I looked around to see if anyone else from the volunteer service was around, but the only person I could find was the last person I wanted to talk to. 

Park Chorong. "Yah!" I yelled informally. She jumped a little from surprise. Chorong glanced from behind her shoulder, but when she realized it was me, a disgusted look appeared on her face. "Come here!" I called again.

She was reluctant at first, but she eventually obeyed, dragging her heavy backpack along. "What?" she asked, obviously irritated with me.

"Are you tutoring today as well?"

"Mhm."

"What's with the sour tone?"

"You're not so cheery yourself." Chorong sighed.  "Look, why are you talking to me?"

What a turn off. Look, I know I'm mean, but it's not cool when other people do it. Especially if it comes from the nerd. "I'm following you to the tutoring room, okay?"

"Why? You're lost?" Chorong said, the sarcasm in her voice on high.

"N-No."

"Then you can find your own way." Chorong sneered. She turned around, and began to walk up the school steps. I was comtemplating whether to stop her or not, but my hand involuntarily reached out for her wrist anyway.

"God-- just let me follow you."

---

Mr. Liu's words echoed in my mind. Tutoring will be an easy job, Jinyoung.

Easy my . This kid has no idea what I'm trying to say, no matter how many times I clearly explain it to him. I took a deep breath, and once more began to explicate the formula to him. "Okay, let's try this again." I sighed. I noticed the kid was barely paying attention, so I gave him a little nudge on the shoulder. He didn't seem to like it very much, and the chump scooted atleast 4 feet away. "Hey," I groaned. I reached for the chair and forcefully dragged it back to it's original place. "Pay attention, you're obviously at this tutoring session for a reason."

"Jinyoung!" A soft voice yelled. I turned around and I realized it came from Chorong. She was sitting with another kid herself, but they're already more than half way done with the work. Maybe her kid is actually smart. "Be gentle to the children, okay?"

"Mind your own business." I growled. Chorong shook her head, sighing deeply. I turned back around. "Let's continue wih the work."

Suddenly, the kid shot up from his seat, slamming his hands on the desk. "No!" he refused. 

"Sit down you little--"

"No! I'm tired of all this bull!" The kid yelled, running out the room in anger. I didn't bother to get up and go after him. It would be a waste of my time. 

"That makes 2 of us..." I muttered to myself, sulking in my chair. I looked around, and everyone had their eyes glued on me, including Chorong. "What the hell are you all looking at?"

----------------------------------------------------------

Author POV

Once the whole tutoring session was finished, all the members of the volunteer service piled into the school bus. After the little scene back at the school, all the members made sure to keep their distance away from Jinyoung and to not make eye contact. They don't want to get beat up, atleast not today. Yet, it's hard not to stare when Jinyoung is playing his music so loud, that you could hear it blasting from the mp3, despite the fact he's wearing expensive headphones.

It was so annoying to hear his rock music, but no one had the guts to tell him to turn it down a notch.

Jinyoung took his seat all the way in the back of the bus, away from people. Just the way he likes it. He leaned his head against the window, and proceeded to lose himself into the music.

---

Chorong POV

I was the last one to get onto the bus. Unfortunately, all the seats in the front were taken, so I was forced to sit all the way in the back.

Everyone was silent, the only thing you could hear was the engine...and rock music. I looked to my right, and, 'surprisingly,' it came from Jinyoung's obnoxious mp3. This idiot really has no manners, does he?

I stood up from my seat, and quickly scooted into the same chair along side him. Jinyoung awoke from his nap from the impact of our bodies.

He shot me a weird look, as he angrily slid his headphones down to around his neck. "Jinyoung?"

"What do you want?" Jinyoung said, lots of anger in his low voice. After seeing how upset he is, I quickly re-thought about scolding him. Maybe all that stress is from what happened earlier. He must be embarrassed, right?

So, I decided to attempt to talk to him, in a sorta-friendly way. "I saw what happened earlier... sorry that Gyuchan ran out like that. He's just really sensitive."

The scowl on Jinyoung's face hasn't disappeared. "Why do you care? Why are you even talking to me? Is this your idea of small talk?" Jinyoung sneered. "Are you talking to me because you think it'd be good? Is that what it says in your little book?" Jinyoung continued, pointing to the bible that I held in my hands.

He's sassy. I sat there silent for a few moments, which made Jinyoung even more ticked off. "We barely know each other, Jinyoung. How can you talk to a stranger like this?" I scolded.

A subtle grin appeared on his face. That's the first Iv'e ever seen him smile, but I know it's not because of a good reason. "We never talk, but don't say I barely know you, Chorong."

"Excuse me?"

"You and I have been in nearly all the same classes since kindergarten, you're in the stars and planets club, and you own approximately one, ugly, sweater that you wear basically every day," Jinyoung said, as he gently tugged on my sweater collar. "I'm guessing you're religious as well, considering you carry that bible around every day. Let me ask, do you read that because you want to? Or, you just want to please your priest daddy?"

I was quite surprised at how much stuff Jinyoung knows about me. Not that what he's saying is completely true. The only thing I know about Jinyoung, is that he's a complete jerk and a bully. Also, that he hangs out with complete idiots who only care about their hair and outer appearance.

"My father is not a priest. He's a reverend. Which are two similar but completely different things." I informed him. I stood up and returned to my original seat. I could still feel Jinyoung staring at me, so I glared back out of annoyance. "What, Jinyoung?" I said, in the calmest tone possible.

"I could see why we never talk, now." Jinyoung chuckled.

"And why is that?"

"Because we're complete opposites, and opposites never attract."

----------------------------------------------------------

Third chapter is finished~

I'm making this story so they slowy, slowly become more friendlier with each other. It's a gradual process, but I think it's much more interesting that way! It's no fun when characters in a story instantly fall in love with each other, with barely any back story. You know?

Subcribers and comments are always appreciated!