Masked Innocence

S E R R A T E D - E D G E

 

Masked Innocence;
_______________________________________________________________________________
                                     INNOCENCE PLAY IN THE BACKYARD OF IGNORANCE 

There isn’t a ‘middle ground’ when it comes to the most important question that crosses everyone’s mind at least once in their lifetime: Is innocence but a façade? Well, if you ask me, innocence only instills within the eyes of those who have yet to see the ‘bad’ that consumes the world.

It is children who are the epitome of innocence as their golden hearts and angelic minds interpret their world as nothing more than their very own Wonderland. They don’t see the ugly. They never hear about the negativity. It’s not there; for innocence play in the backyard of ignorance and as such, they look past our corrupted way of living.

“I really like this oppa.” This is why I can smile and enjoy the company of a child who hides behind his favorite mask. And I’m not talking about a figurative mask; oh no, this little bundle of joy was really wearing a mask decorated in his favorite color: pink. The cloth was laid right below his eyes, covering his pointed nose and his mesmerizing grin that spoke of nothing but very happy things.

He just loved wearing masks so much. 

“It’s hyung Rei. Boys call other older boys hyung.” I explained, the child abruptly nodding in understanding.

Being an only child and never having the opportunity to play with others, he tends to forget the most simplest of things. 

“Hyung.” The single syllable rolled off of his tongue just perfectly, his inquisitive eyes now settling into that warming and blissful gaze I grew to adore. He was just 5-years-old and yet he was curious about every little thing that laid within the pet café we currently sat in. Dogs and puppies, with the occasional cat lounging on a self where books lined the walls, entertained the masses who loved animals just as Rei did. “Hyung, I really like this cocoa.”

“I’m glade you like it.” I reached over the table to ruffle his hair seeing as the mask that was identical to Rei's own had concealed my own smile. “Whatever you want you can have without question.”

“Really?”

“Really.” I assured before the child’s gleaming eyes directed toward the dog that wanted a little bit of his affection. Like I said before, children never really see the side of the world where darkness resided. Much like the boy in front of me, children knew nothing of the disputes that eventually tear ‘picture perfect families’ apart.

Because of that Rei didn't know he was my child.

I would do anything for him. It was the only reason why I, a 20-year-old madly in love with a man 4 years my senior, would always put him first before anyone else. He was my everything. My pride. My joy. So when the news of a missing little girl broadcasted over the Television perched in the corner of the little café, my heart broke in two.

I couldn’t imagine what kind of emotions bombarded parents who must’ve yearned for their child to find their way back into their arms again. “Rei.” The boy with his cute little pink mask turned to me and quickly got out of his seat when I motioned him to come near. “Can I tell you something?”

Rei loved secrets. “Yes. You can tell me anything in the world hyung.” But never did he ever love it more than being with me.

The boy jumped on my lap, my arms securely holding him in a warmth his mother didn’t have the heart or the time to shower him with. “I really care about you.”

“I care about you too hyung.”

“I know your mother would be against the whole idea of me seeing you if I were to ask.” I watched as the child glumly nodded in agreement, his brows dipping down in disappointment.

“I know. But I like when you’re around hyung. You’re always there when mama leaves. You love me, right?”

If it wasn’t for the stupid mask strung from ear-to-ear I would’ve kissed the top of his head with the same affection that Rei had adorned upon the puppy’s head minutes ago. I was his father. I loved him so much and I could only wish he knew just how much I would sacrifice to be near him at all times. But it couldn’t be done. The ed up government and the legislations, rules and regulations that came with a custody battle couldn’t be won in my position. “Of course I do Rei. I love you lots.”

“More than cheesecake?”

Oh yes, this boy knew about my little obsession with cheesecake the first day we both officially met and I almost had a heart attack when he tried to steal a bite out of my favorite desert. Let’s just say he knew me just as much as I knew every little thing about Yongguk’s life.

“Yes, More than cheesecake.” The boy giggled and he leaned back against my chest as he played with the fingers that hooked around his abdomen. It had been the first time in a long while since I seen him this happy. Sure, the mask obscured any hint of bliss that would’ve contorted his youthful features, but I could just tell he was as happy as I was.

But of course, all good things must come to an end and, soon enough, Rei and I found ourselves walking down the street hand-in-hand. It wasn’t that odd for a masked adult and an equally masked child to be walking around with an array of pink covering their faces. With how fashion has been evolving nowadays, nothing really alarmed people anymore.

Spikes, shredded jeans, shorts too short for the most conservative of souls: whatever one could think of, it was there, on the streets of Seoul, draped over men, women and children alike. So we walked, the news of the missing little girl being caught in whispers that passed us by.

Eventually, we got to our next destination but cop cars and a sobbing mother, which included an enraged father pulled Rei and I behind a tree. We stood their in hiding, the foliage allowing us to witness what was going on without being detected.

“You left her alone?! Why would you leave her alone?” The father yelled, his voice cracking due to the mix of anger and unconstrained worry that must’ve stabbed at his insides.

“I-I don’t know.” The mother wailed. “I left her here to play in the playground before, and nothing went wrong. I was just gone for a minute…just a minute.”

The older male was wracking fingers through his hair as he paced to and fro, tears of dread threatening to gather in his eyes. “You left her by herself before? What the hell were you thinking?!”

“What am I supposed to do!? You’re always working! You‘re never here!” The woman retorted, the two about ready to go at each other’s throats. They would’ve succeeded in the verbal abuse that was seconds away from tearing them emotionally and physically apart, but an officer stepped between them to try and subdue the fervor that flitted furiously through every inch of their bodies.

I could understand the torment, the anguish and the grief they were experiencing. Just looking down at Rei made those raw emotions all the more real as I knelt in front of the little boy who gripped my hand tightly. “You know what to do, right?” I asked him, Rei nodding as he pulled the short wig off of his head, long auburn hair soon spilling passed the child’s shoulders. I removed the mask off of my child's face to reveal soft, delicate features only a little girl could possess. What stood before me was the darling physiognomy of the missing child that was reported all over the news, her big mocha colored eyes resembling that of the man I love so very much.

“I’m going to tell mama and papa I went to the store.”

“And you can’t talk about me okay?” I hadn’t given her my name nor was I stupid enough to separate myself from the mask that had first attracted her all those months ago when she needed a friend to help her from a bad fall. She hated her long hair, hated her name, and hated that she couldn’t be the boy daddy could take to soccer games or watch violent movies with. The prospects of putting on a wig and adopting a whole new name akin to the male she wanted to be attracted her to the idea of following a stranger to a cafe at least 9 blocks from here.

“I can’t talk about my hyung.” She confirmed, nodding with that dimpled grin that always brought a smile to my face.

“I may not see you for a while okay.”

“Why not hyung?”

“Because,” I smoothed out the new outfit I had bought her right after we had left the café, making sure not a single particle of dust tainted my precious baby girl. “I’ll be a bit busy with work but don’t worry, I’ll see you soon. Okay?”

“Okay hyung.” And with a final hug, she circled around the park exactly as I had told her and popped up at the entrance way just across from where I stood.

“Rena!” Her parents ran to her and picked her up in their arms with kisses pecked upon either side of her cheeks. They cried, their overwhelming joy and relief radiating off of smiles and tears that overcame the animosity they felt just seconds ago.

I loved this side of him.

Seeing Yongguk hold our precious girl in his arms was everything that made him so perfect in my eyes. He was dysfunctional, that much was true, but his fatherly instincts and the way he treated our child like the princess that she was had to be one of the many qualities I fell in love with. I hated making him so worried, hated the fact that I had to go through such lengths just so I can have the chance to talk and be with our baby, but it had to be done.

One day Yongguk and I are going to be together.

And when that day finally comes, Rena will be my daughter.

_______________________________________________________________________________

(A/N).

Whelp....Zelo and Zico got a tie lulz...well...I guess I'll choose one from the two x3
Also, thank you to all those who comment. It's really makes me happy and all giddy inside lol :3 

( h a r l e q u i n. )