C3

Eldon

As the morning sunlight hit Eldon’s face, she groaned, stretching her arms out wide, her eyes half opened. Last night Eldon and Luhan stayed till late, because of Luhan’s endless stories. Eldon rubbed her eyes then slowly opened them, adjusting to light around her. When she turned her head around to check on Kai, he wasn’t there anymore. Eldon nearly fell from her seat, but someone caught her from behind and pushed her back up. She looked back and was greeted by the hard chest of a man, bandaged, only a few inches away from her face. Eldon jerked back, red faced and hit her back against the edge of the desk. Sharp pain shot through her back as she stood up, “OWW, what the hell?!”

“Is that what you say when someone saves you from falling?” Kai asked with a placid demeanour, but there was a hint of sadness in his eyes.

“No! My back!” Eldon rubbed her back countless times. It really did hurt to be honest.

“You did that yourself.”

Kai sat on the bed, crossing his legs.

What’s wrong with this guy?! Doesn’t he remember that I saved him yesterday?! Aish, so ungrateful…

the pain eventually faded away and Eldon could finally straighten her back. Kai just watched her emotionlessly. Eldon felt really awkward. “Hey, I think you should rest, you’re not completely healed yet-”

“Warriors heal in no time.” Eldon was scared of Kai’s cold attitude towards her, but luckily Luhan came in just in time.

“Hey guys, I’ve got us some breakfast!” Luhan said in triumph as basket of fruits hovered in the air towards her and Kai who simply sat on the bed, half .

Luhan noticed the awkwardness in the atmosphere.

“Kai! Stop with that face! Here, have something to eat!”

Then an apple flew out of the basket and landed next to Kai. Kai took it and had a bite, still as expressionless as ever. Eldon wasn’t really hungry, like always. Since she wasn’t human, but looked like human, she didn’t have the need to eat as often as they do. No one in the world was human. Actually there were no humans at all.

Eldon sat back in her seat once again and eyed Luhan to come over.

“Does that guy have some mental issues?” Eldon whispered softly as Luhan leaned in to hear.

“No, Kai doesn’t have mental issues.” Luhan whispered back.

“Then why is he acting like nothing happened yesterday?”

Luhan stopped and stared at Kai, who was munching on his apple.

“Well… Ask him, I don’t know.” Luhan shrugged.

“But-“Before Eldon can say anything Luhan interrupted, “Kai! Eldon has something to ask you!”

God damn it Luhan, Err… Kai looked at Eldon, “Go ahead.” Eldon was surprised. She thought Kai would ignore her.

“Umm, do you feel better?” Eldon forced a smile.                  

“Yeah” All Kai said to Eldon was either a word or one single sentence.

“And… Never mind…” Eldon felt like slapping herself.

“Alright” Kai simply replied.

It was not like Kai was mean or cold towards anyone; the gut wrenching memory from yesterday broke him. Kai might seem quiet, but there were thousands of thoughts running thorugh his mind, memories of the war. Suddenly, Kai fell back into the bed. It seemed that he dropped ‘dead’.

*

“Run Kai, as far as possible-” Those were the kings last words before he dropped his sword and turned into ashes.

Tears ran down Kai’s cheek. Gritting his teeth, fear and anger planted themselves on him.

“Kai! Hurry! Before he kills us!” Luhan cried trying to pull Kai’s arm.

Kai furrowed his eyebrows and clenched his fists together. “Let’s go, we’ll be back again!”

Kai his heel and ran off, while Luhan trailing from behind.

“Don’t even think of running away from me, MUAHAHAHAHHH!” A swift, dark silhouette chased Kai and Luhan.

“Err, damn this old hag! Get in the jar Luhan!” Kai ran as he opened the jar. Luhan flew straight in and Kai closed it. The armour he wore crashed against each other made banging sounds. It was such a nuisance carrying such a burden on him, even if it did save his life more than once.

“My orks! Get the young man!” The shadow called then disappeared.

Kai drew his sword out and prepared for carnage. Grotesque, fat, ugly creatures poured out from the entrances coming towards them. More and more orks gathered equipped with either an axe or a hammer. Despite their numbers, Kai slaughtered them one by one. Blood stained Kai’s face and everywhere and finally Kai managed to get out of the castle at last.

He breathed a sigh of relief but little did he know something worse was about to happen.

“Kai, is it fine to leave Maria to be slaughtered?” A husky voice called.

“Maria?” Kai stopped and whipped his head to the balcony of the castle. Maria was hanging from the balcony with only a thin rope tied to her waist.

“Don’t worry about me Kai! Keep running!” Maria yelled on top of her lungs as she swinged side to side. “MARIA! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT YOU OLD HAG! YOU’VE GOT THE KINGDOM, WHAT ELSE?! CAN’T YOU JUST LEAVE US ALONE?!” Kai screamed and his voice echoed in the air.

“I want to hear you scream, Kai.”

*

“Ah!” Kai bolted upright covered in cold sweat, panting. That was a horrible dream, a memory, in fact.

Luhan and Eldon both stood in front of him, dumbfounded by Kai. “What happened to you man?” Luhan questioned him with a frown. Kai rubbed his nose bridge and sighed, “I’m alright, don’t worry about me…”

He was not alright. He was far from alright. He didn’t need any reminder from what had happened in the kingdom, especially since it was so traumatizing. He just wanted to forget it all.

“Alright you say? Don’t worry?” Eldon’s voice nearly reached a scream, a mixture of hurt and uneasiness flicker across her face. She was more worried than Luhan, even if they just met.

Kai just sat there, not saying anything. Eldon rolled her eyes, then, touching Kai’s shoulders, she laid him down harshly and pulled up the blanket. “Then you should have a rest, I’ll be here all the time looking after you, so is Luhan.” Eldon’s unusual poker face was put up. She didn’t want him to see her face, hoe concern she was for him. Kai looked at her and then turned his head, facing the inner wall.

No one understood how much pain Kai had been through, not even Luhan. The pain was a scar: it would never go away.

========================================================================================

Chapter three's updated :) How do you think of the story so far? ....Boring? Well, it's not the beginning yet ;) Old rules, please subscribe <3 Thank you and hope you enjoyed.