(Sequel) A Mistaken Thought

A Mistaken Confession (Sequel Updated!)

It was Kyuhyun's birthday party. Kyuhyun's team won the championship that happened just hours before the party, so Kyuhyun included the victory party to his birthday celebration.

The party would start at eight in the evening. Kyuhyun went home directly to change because it was a big party organized by his parents who surely would not come. If ever, he would introduce Sungmin as his boyfriend that night. He prepared himself for that even if it would not happen.

But he was wrong. He had unexpected visitors - his parents. He was really surprised to see them home. His mom immediately embraced him and greeted him, "Happy birthday, Kyuhyun."

His father smiled at him as his mother pulled herself away from the hug. His father tapped his shoulder and greeted him as well. "Happy birthday, Kyuhyun. I know that you're not expecting us because we planned this to be a surprise for you."

"Do you know that Yoonmi called us? You told her that you would introduce someone to us, right? Your girlfriend? I hope she can give us a beautiful grandchild." His mom asked. Kyuhyun smiled awkwardly. He didn't know Yoonmi would tell his parents about it. His facial expression showed it, so his mom noticed it. "Don't worry, it's better for us to know the special person right? You should thank her."

Yoonmi was his playmate, classmate and close friend when he was eight. But three years later, she and her family went to States and lived there. They didn't see each other for a very long time but they continued to exchange emails. They were very close.

"Aish, Yoonmi's really-"

"Really what?" It was a voice of a female. The three of them turned their attention to the woman who was dressed elegantly. Kyuhyun recognized her. It was Yoonmi and she changed a lot. "You should thank me!"

Yoonmi approached Kyuhyun and embraced him tightly as she greeted him. Kyuhyun's parents smiled at Yoonmi who, after hugging Kyuhyun, bowed to greet them as well. Yoonmi then looked back at Kyuhyun.

"You've grown up, much more handsome," Yoonmi remarked.

"You too, you look dazzling," Kyuhyun complimented as well. "But why did you tell my parents about what I told you?"

Yoonmi pouted. "Well, I was kind of eager to see that person so that I wouldn't be too jealous." She laughed.

Kyuhyun parents told the two of them that they would go ahead. They both smiled and nodded as a response. Kyuhyun turned to Yoonmi as soon as his parents were gone. "You're really the same Yoonmi as before."

Yoonmi hit Kyuhyun's arm playfully. "I've changed. But I bet you're still a crybaby."

"I'm not," Kyuhyun defensively said. "Anyway, go ahead. I'll just wait for someone."

"Your boyfriend?" Yoonmi asked. Yoonmi knew that he had a boyfriend not a girlfriend, but why didn't she tell his parents that it was a boyfriend rather than a girlfriend? "Oh well, okay. Better introduce me to him or I'll get jealous," she said as she chuckled. "Kidding. Well then. Later."

She went to the garden where the party would take place. Kyuhyun remained standing at the door to wait for Sungmin. He was unbelievably late. Sungmin told him awhile ago during the play that he would not be late so he didn't need to take him home and fetch him. But it was already seven-thirty. Only thirty minutes left until the start of the party.

He decided to call Sungmin, but someone called him. He'd just wait for him then.

○●○

Sungmin hissed as he stared hopelessly at the traffic jam. There was a huge accident that happened so the bus where he was in could not move forward. He was getting irritated. He would be late. And he was stressed for no reason.

Kyuhyun was not calling him. Maybe he was busy entertaining the guests. No text messages as well.

Thirty minutes left. If he walked, he would reach Kyuhyun's place by fifteen minutes so he decided to get off the bus and walked. To his haste, he met Kangin who just went out from a cake shop.

"Kangin?" He made sure. When Kangin smiled and recognized him, Sungmin approached the former. "You bought a cake for Kyuhyun?"

"For a person who likes eating, cake is the best gift so, yes," Kangin showed his eye-smile. "Anyway, are you on the way?"

Sungmin nodded. "There was a traffic jam so I got off my bus and decided to walk."

"Do you want to walk together?" Kangin invited. Sungmin nodded as a response.

When they were walking together, Sungmin suddenly stopped. "Gosh, I forgot my present on the bus!" He panicked. He recalled it being placed near his feet so that he would not forget. He could have not placed it there.

Kangin laughed. "Let's just get a present on our way. I know a place."

Sungmin followed Kangin and they stopped by a cupcake shop. They entered it. "Wow, cool cupcakes," Sungmin commented as he toured around. "Are you sure Kyuhyun would like this?"

"Kyuhyun and I used to go here after classes. He loved the cupcakes here so you can buy cupcakes for him. He would like it," Kangin assured.

Sungmin chuckled. "Kyuhyun didn't like my present last Christmas so... I was not really sure what to give him. Thanks, Kangin!"

Kangin didn't speak but he nodded as an acknowledgement of his gratitude. Sungmin pointed the cupcakes that he would want to give Kyuhyun. While waiting, he stared at the cupcakes inside the glass fridge.

He was amazed of himself. He was not awkward anymore around Kangin. He was talking to him comfortably as if he didn't feel anything towards him before. Speaking of which, Yesung asked him if he already told Kangin about the mistake. He answered that it was not necessary because he was already in love with Kyuhyun already.

He secretly looked at Kangin and he was surprised that he was staring at him.

When they got the cupcakes, they left. They walked until they reached the street. Sungmin was about to cross when one car headed towards their direction and it was too fast. Shocked, Kangin grabbed him and pulled him. Sungmin's face landed on Kangin's chest. And to his surprise, he could hear Kangin's loud and fast-beating heart.

It was awkward but he wasn't able to move. He was curious what Kangin was feeling. Was he nervous because of what happened or was he nervous because he was hugging him?

Instead of moving away, Kangin used his free hand to put around his shoulders. Sungmin blushed. It was weird. It really was.

Kangin was the first one who let go. He apologized, "S-sorry. I was shocked so..."

Sungmin smiled. "Don't worry, it's nothing," he said. "And thank you."

They walked until they reached Kyuhyun's house. The latter was waiting for them to arrive so when he saw them, Kyuhyun ran towards them.

"At last!" He exclaimed. He then noticed that Kangin was with Sungmin. "Oh, you came here together?"

"No, we just met somewhere outside," Kangin was the one who answered. "Do you mind?"

Kyuhyun cackled. "No! Of course not," he said and turned to Sungmin. "I thought you're not coming. You're too late!"

Sungmin grinned. "I know and I'm sorry. There was a traffic jam so we walked."

Kyuhyun pinched his nose and put his arm around Sungmin's waist. "At least you're already here," he smiled and Sungmin returned it. Kyuhyun turned to Kangin who was just watching them. "Oops, sorry hyung. Did it bother you?"

Kangin displayed a meek smile. "No, not at all."

Kyuhyun nodded. "Alright then. Come inside. The party's about to start." Kyuhyun and Sungmin walked ahead of Kangin who remained standing as he stared at Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

I wonder if I were in Kyuhyun's place right now, he thought. He could see their smiles. These smiles were way too real to hinder. He snickered as he looked on the ground. "What was I even thinking?" He walked and followed the two of them.

○●○

As Sungmin thought, Kyuhyun would be so busy attending to other guests. He knew it would be the case though. Good thing, or not, Yesung was with him. He arrived much earlier than Sungmin.

"It is really suspicious that Kyuhyun's parents are here," Yesung said. "They rarely come home lately."

Sungmin glanced at Yesung who kept on looking at Kyuhyun's parents while talking to other guests who were apparently not invited by Kyuhyun himself. Sungmin shook his head in disbelief. Yesung was doing it again. He was really too weird. "Maybe it is their son's birthday," he stated the obvious even if he wasn't convinced. Kyuhyun himself told Sungmin that the former's parents would not come to his birthday because they were both busy.

"That is an acceptable fact, but it still bothers me," Yesung said. "Oh, maybe Kyuhyun's going to introduce you to his parents."

Sungmin's heart beat fast. He suddenly felt nervous. What would he do if that was the case? He thought that he would collapse anytime. He was not prepared. Maybe they were just thinking too much.

"And oh, it's Kangin with his teammates! I heard that you arrived together?" Yesung asked as he looked at Sungmin. "Did you already tell him?"

"A-Ah, Yesung, I will just get some food," Sungmin quickly stood up. He knew that he really just wanted to get away from Yesung. He was making him uncomfortable. Without looking back at Yesung who was calling him, he went to the buffet area and then he got a plate. While he was looking around the buffet area, he heard two women who were talking about Kyuhyun.

"Choi Yoonmi is back. I wonder if she's Kyuhyun's girlfriend?" said the first woman. Sungmin stopped from walking but he didn't let the women know that he was listening. "She's pretty and she came from a rich family. She's pretty close to Kyuhyun too."

"Yes, and I heard that Mr. and Mrs. Cho came because it was Yoonmi's request. Maybe they're going to announce their marriage plans here?" Another woman asked.

Sungmin froze right where he was standing. Who was Yoonmi?

"I'm sorry, but it is rude to discuss that here," someone, who was wearing a red evening gown, said to the two women. Sungmin turned around to see her. She was really beautiful and elegant. Maybe it was Yoonmi. The two women were shocked so they excused themselves and left. Sungmin sighed as he decided to go back to his seat, but he heard the woman's voice again. "Uhm, I'm sorry, were you listening? People were just... I don't know."

Sungmin turned around and looked at the woman who was smiling at him. "U-Uh, no... I-I was just... getting some-"

"I just hate people gossiping behind my back, especially if they do not really know the whole story. Do you also hate that, too?"

Sungmin answered, "A-Actually, yes."

"Are you Kyuhyun's boyfriend?" The woman asked. He nearly dropped his plate. Good thing, the woman assisted him. "Oh, I'm sorry. Where are my manners? I'm Choi Yoonmi." Yoonmi stretched her arm to shake hands with Sungmin.

So he was right. It was Yoonmi. He stared at Yoonmi's hand. He shook her hand as he smiled awkwardly. "Oh... I'm sorry. I'm Lee Sungmin."

Yoonmi was the first one who pulled her hand. "Sorry for the sudden qquestion. I am actually looking for his boyfriend because Kyuhyun was too busy to introduce me to him. So you're not Kyuhyun's boyfriend?"

Sungmin didn't answer.

Yoonmi smiled. "The truth is, I called Kyuhyun's parents to help him. Kyuhyun told me that he wanted to introduce his boyfriend to his parents so I asked them to come. Although I didn't tell them about that. I'd like Kyuhyun to do that himself. It was not because of the marriage plans or whatnot, so don't worry."

So Yesung was right. Kyuhyun was going to introduce him to his parents. Wait!

"Sorry if I wrongly thought that you were Kyuhyun's boyfriend. It's just that I saw him with you and he said that he was waiting for someone so I thought it was you," Yoonmi apologized and explained. "I wonder if his boyfriend knows about the marriage plans?"

"Marriage plans?" he clarified. His heart beat fast again. He was nervous and scared.

"Yes. Actually, Kyuhyun is supposed to marry me," Yoonmi said seriously and then she looked away.

So Kyuhyun's really going to marry Yoonmi? So the rumor was true? Sungmin felt a little dizzy because of that. Why didn't Kyuhyun tell me all that?

However, after a few seconds, Yoonmi laughed and looked at him again. "I'm joking! Kyuhyun promised to marry me when he was younger and he told all the guests during his ninth birthday that he would marry me someday, so people took it seriously. But I know that he has someone that he loves. I do, too, so don't take me seriously."

Sungmin sighed in relief. He felt that he was going to fall anytime. He chuckled. "Is that so? I thought it was true."

"i just hope that his parents would like a guy for their son. I mean, he's the only son, and they wanted a grandchild, don't you think?" Yoonmi asked. "But then, Kyuhyun's the person who would fight for anything that he believes in, especially if it would make him happy."

Sungmin smiled. He was a bit relief, but he was still nervous. What if his parents would not accept him?

Yoonmi spoke again, "Good luck though. I know it is you. Please take care of my baby, alright?" She bowed to Sungmin and left. Sungmin decided to go back to his table afterwards.

"You spoke with Yoonmi? Wow, you're special," Yesung said as Sungmin sat on his seat. "Yoonmi's so pretty. I want to pursue her."

Sungmin laughed. "Yesung, sorry, but stop thinking weird things."

"Mind if I join you?" It was Kangin. Yesung immediately eyed Sungmin who just continued eating. "My teammates said that they had plans so they left me."

Yesung nodded and pointed a seat beside Sungmin. "We don't mind! Sungmin doesn't mind either, right?" Yesung gave him a grin. Sungmin glared at him and then he gazed at Kangin and nodded. Kangin smiled as he sat beside Sungmin. "We had actually talked about you before Sungmin left."

Kangin got curious as he stared at Sungmin who in turn stared at Yesung angrily. "Really? What about me?"

"You knew Sungmin before, right? He was the one who caught the ball that you passed," Yesung said. "You know, it was his first time watching a basketball game."

"Yesung!" Sungmin scolded Yesung. Then he turned to Kangin and smiled awkwardly. "I-I'm sorry, but can we go somewhere else?"

"Why? This is fascinating," Kangin commented and asked Yesung to continue. "Then? Where did Sungmin meet Kyuhyun?"

"He never met Kyuhyun before that!" Yesung spilled it excitedly. Sungmin put his palm on his forehead in embarrassment. Yesung should just shut up right now.

He didn't want to listen anymore so he tried to focus on other things. He just hoped that Yesung would not mention something about the mistake or anything because it would be embarrasing. And besides, Kangin might misunderstand.

"He just met Kyuhyun when I mistakenly thought that his locker was yours so I put his love letter there and it was supposed to be yours and-"

"U-Uh, Kangin, I think we should go," Sungmin blushed. He stood and pulled Kangin who had no choice but to Yesung scratched his head as he watched the two while walking away from him.

"Did I say something bad?" Yesung wondered.

○●○

"Everything that Yesung said, ignore it, alright?" Sungmin said as he was pulling Kangin away. Kangin was just following him but he was not saying anything. "Past is past so I think it's better to forget it, right?" When they reached a vacant area, Kangin pulled his hand from Sungmin's grasp and stopped. Sungmin turned to Kangin.

"So, that letter was supposed to be mine," Kangin said softly. Sungmin could not see any expression in his face, so he just waited for Kangin to say something again. He didn't know what Kangin was thinking. "That letter was supposed to be mine."

Sungmin felt that his heart was sinking as he nodded. Why did Kangin sound like he was so upset? "It was supposed to be yours, yes, but Kyuhyun got it and thought it was his. My fault because I didn't address it to you so-"

"You were in love with me," Kangin said. His voice was faltering. "You were in love with me that time. It was not Kyuhyun then."

"I love Kyuhyun now, Kangin, so don't mind it anymore," Sungmin looked away. "It was long ago so you have to forget-"

"No, I can't," Kangin said as he held Sungmin's shoulders tightly. He looked at Sungmin intently. And Sungmin was shocked to see his raging eyes. "I can't because I-"

"Uhm, what's happening here, hyung? Are you fighting over something?" It was Kyuhyun's voice? Kangin looked away and turned back. Sungmin stared on the ground. "A-are you fighting because-"

Kangin gasped and looked at Kyuhyun. He smiled. "N-No, we were just... clarifying some things. Don't worry, Kyuhyun, it's nothing."

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin who was still not yet speaking. "Is that so? Alright then. I'm borrowing Sungmin, hyung, is that fine?"

Kangin nodded and answered, "Of course, you can. You can borrow your boyfriend."

Sungmin noticed that Kangin's voice was cracking. But Kyuhyun didn't notice it so he didn't think about it further. Kyuhyun smiled at Kangin and pulled Sungmin away. Kangin just stared at them until they were gone.

Sungmin followed Kyuhyun. He didn't know what Kangin was about to say. It bothered him that he failed to ask Kyuhyun where they were going. He just realized that Kyuhyun stopped in front of some people and he stopped as well. He was still staring on the ground.

"Mom, Dad, I'd like you to meet Sungmin. He's my boyfriend," It was Kyuhyun's voice. Sungmin was surprised that he immediately looked at Kyuhyun. His heart beat fast. He felt really nervous.

What should I do? he asked himself. He still could not look at Kyuhyun's parents. He was afraid to see their grimaces and he was afraid to hear what they were going to say.

"I know that I am an only child and you won't approve this relationship, but I love him and I am willing to live my life with him, even if you kick me out of the family," Kyuhyun said with conviction. Sungmin pulled his arm, but the latter just held his hand and interlocked his fingers with Sungmin's.

"So, you're Kyuhyun's lover," the woman's voice asked. Sungmin slowly looked at her. He was shocked to see that he was smiling. Sungmin bowed to properly greet her. "You have the guts to appear before us, huh?"

Sungmin raised his chin. "I-I..."

"Mom!" Kyuhyun exclaimed.

"I'm just joking! I know that you are old enough now, Kyuhyun. You were not the same nine-year-old Kyuhyun who would tell everyone that he would marry Yoonmi. You have your own decisions now, and I support you," his mother said. "I really thought that it was a girl though."

Sungmin felt happy and relieved. He thought that she would slap him or something.

"You made our son happy, and look at him right now," It was Kyuhyun's father. Sungmin bowed to him as well. "He's socializing. Before, he doesn't want others to bother him, but I guess he's happy so I am also supporting you."

"H-How about the grandchild," Kyuhyun asked.

His parents laughed. "What matters most now is that you're happy."

○●○

"Eh? Did you see Kangin hyung?" Kyuhyun asked. They went back to the table where Yesung was. Sungmin nearly forgot about him and what he was abotu to say to him. Kyuhyun's parents talked to him so that they could get to know him and they took them almost an hour.

"Oh, I haven't seen him since Sungmin pulled him away," Yesung answered then he looked at Sungmin. "You're with him right?"

"Yes, but we left so..." Sungmin replied.

"He could be somewhere else. I'll just go and find him," Yesung volunteered and left.

Sungmin and Kyuhyun sat together. Sungmin was the first one to speak. "I actually thought that they were not going to accept me."

Kyuhyun looked at his boyfriend and held his hand. "I was ready for it though. I am still willing to be with you."

Sungmin smiled. "And Yoonmi's a good person. You must keep her as a friend."

Kyuhyun nodded. "She was a bit bully at times so I guess you're wrong. Did you feel jealous of her?"

"No, I found her very beautiful so I was kind of attracted," Sungmin replied. "I felt a little uncomfortable though when she asked me if I was your boyfriend. I thought people didn't know. And she told me that you asked her to marry her."

"So, you're jealous at that part," Kyuhyun teased. "I told her everything about you. She wanted to meet you too so she went here. And she surprised me with a present. I was not ready yet so I took all the courage that I needed to introuce you to my parents before taking you to them. She also practiced with me. I was prepared but I was still nervous. Oh, speaking of present..."

"My gift for you?" Sungmin asked and chuckled. But he remembered Kangin again. Maybe it was the right time to tell Kyuhyun about the mistake that happened a long time ago. "Kangin helped me pick this. He was a good friend to you too." Sungmin took the box of cupcakes that was on the table and gave it to Kyuhyun. "It took me awhile to think about this, but I guess you really have to know this."

Kyuhyun opened the box and saw all his favorite cupcakes. "What is it?"

"The letter... it wasn't supposed to be given to you. It was supposed to be given to Kangin."

Kyuhyun froze but he let Sungmin to continue.

"Kangin knew about that awhile ago. When you saw us together, it was the time when he was confronting me about it," Sungmin then explained, "I fell in love with Kangin that time so I wrote a letter for him. However, Yesung mistakenly dropped the letter inside your locker knowing that it was Kangin's. I was not able to say anything to you because it was the first time that someone confessed to me, so I didn't reject you. We dated, and for the first months, I was planning to stop all of these. But then I slowly fell out of love with Kangin and before I knew it, I already fell in love with you."

Kyuhyun remained silent, but he was looking at Sungmin. He was expressionless.

"Are you mad?"

Kyuhyun smiled as he tapped his head. "Don't worry, Sungmin. What's important now is I love you, and you love me. It's all in the past."

"I love you, Kyuhyun," Sungmin said as he hugged Kyuhyun who in turn hugged him back.

"I love you more."

♡♥♡

《Are you wondering where Kangin is? Let's read the spin-off that will focus on Kangin's feelings! Kangin's what-ifs will be answered next time.》