A Mistaken Confession

A Mistaken Confession (Sequel Updated!)

"Come on Sungmin. Confess to him and give him your letter!"

Sungmin tucked his handwritten love letter to his chest. His heart was beating fast - it could jump out of his body anytime.

His three-year crush since he was a first year high school, Kangin, a basketball hottie, was just stone-throw away from him. He needed to confess before graduation, so he decided to do it that day because Kangin was inside their classroom for a make-up class.

It was his first year in high school when he started to notice Kangin. He was clueless about basketball because he never liked the sport, but Yesung, his best friend, invited him to watch a practice game. Because Yesung was so weird enough that he had no real friends in school except for Sungmin, he had no choice but to drag Sungmin to the court to watch it. They sat in front for a better view. One time, the ball went flying to their area because Kangin passed the ball to a teammate a little too much. On impulse, Sungmin caught the ball. Kangin went to him and apologized. Kangin retrieved the ball while showing his eye-smile. That time, Sungmin felt that his cheeks were burning and he realized that he had a crush on Kangin. Kangin apologized again and left, leaving Sungmin dazzled.

He continued to watch Kangin all throughout the practice game. He was really shining in the court.

After that, he researched about him. Kangin was a freshman when he was recruited in the basketball team. He was the MVP in his first year of basketball so he was kind of popular. Everytime he passed the hallway, a lot of students would say 'hi' to him, and he was always showing his eye-smile to everyone. He was no different, or at least, Sungmin felt it was different whenever they would cross paths. He was delusional, he guessed, because he was his first crush.

"If you don't want to give your letter personally then at least drop it inside his locker," Yesung suggested. "If you still don't want to then give it to me."

Sungmin shook his head. "No! You don't even know where his locker is."

"No worries, Sungmin," Yesung said. "You know, I can follow him when he goes to the locker room. I'll be able to put the letter inside, I tell you."

Sungmin worriedly pouted and looked at the letter that he was holding. He gave it to Yesung. "Okay fine. But do it well!"

That love letter was a matter of life and death to him. He instructed Kangin to go to the basketball court the next day if he would accept his confession. That thought was making him nervous. What if Kangin rejected him? He would feel awkward forever around him, especially because his name was written in the letter, and he even called him his "Basketball Hero."

Dear my Basketball Hero,

It is my first time writing a love letter and confessing to someone so please bear with my cheesiness.

The first time I saw you, I immediately fell for you, and I could not remove my eyes on you. You were shining in the court three years ago and I noticed you among all others. For me, you are my number one basketball hero. I like you very much!

P.S. Please meet me at the basketball court tomorrow after classes if you accept my feelings for you. It's okay if you don't. I will still cherish your forever.

Love,

Sungmin

He glanced at Kangin who was sleeping with his book covering his face. He giggled and the teacher heard it. She scolded Sungmin and asked him to clean the mini garden near their school. He sighed. It was almost the end of the class.

Before finally leaving the classroom, he eyed Yesung, silently commanding him to put the latter inside Kangin's locker immediately after classes.

Yesung nodded in reply.

○●○

"Hey, Kyuhyun," Kangin tapped Kyuhyun's shoulder. He was silently reading a cookbook at the school cafeteria when Kangin suddenly appeared and sat beside him. He just nodded as an acknowledgement of Kangin's presence.

Kyuhyun was his closest teammate and classmate. He was a year younger than him, but he accelerated for a year because aside from his basketball skills, he was also a brilliant student. 

"What are you reading?" Kangin asked and grabbed the cookbook from Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun glared at him, but he didn't speak. "Oh, a cookbook? Why are you looking at this? Are you going to cook for someone?"

Kyuhyun took the cookbook back and hid it inside his bag. "No," he answered plainly.

"Hmm, let me guess. You have a crush on someone who likes cooking, don't you?" Kangin teased and laughed loudly, almost enough for the others to hear.

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes and playfully punched Kangin's arm. "Be quiet! It is embarrassing."

"It's embarrassing? The love of my life likes cooking, too," Kangin confessed. "So it is common for the persons we like."

"I know it is pretty common but of course, I am keeping this secret for the whole time!" Kyuhyun exclaimed. "I don't want that person to know that I am stalking him... well not stalking, just researching for some information."

Kangin's eyes widened. "H-Him!?"

Kyuhyun nodded. "What's wrong in liking a guy?"

Kangin laughed. "Nothing. It's just that we both like guys."

Kyuhyun sighed. "That is a weird confession for someone like you, Kangin hyung."

"Oh, is that so? Anyway, let me borrow your locker key please," Kangin requested. "That teacher was your teacher in Math, right? I slept in class awhile ago because it was so boring. I failed to take down notes and we will have a quiz tomorrow so..."

Kyuhyun looked for the key in his bag and gave it to Kangin. It was usually Kangin's doing - he would always borrow Kyuhyun's notes. Kangin was pretty lazy in terms of studies, so he would just copy Kyuhyun's notes and assignments. He also never used his locker because he never brought anything such as books to school. "Here you go. Give it back to me before lunch time tomorrow. Go ahead and don't disturb me anymore," he said. "I told you she's a boring one. Why did you even choose that make-up class?"

Kangin stood as he got the key from Kyuhyun. He grinned. "Because the person I like was on the same class! Too bad, he's already out when I woke up. Anyway, thanks for this! See you later!"

○●○

"Did you do it properly?" Sungmin asked Yesung who was comfortably reading a manga. It was a brand new day, and it was the day of the truth. He nearly didn't sleep for the whole night last night.

Yesung boasted. "Of course! I saw him opening his locker so I knew it was his! Don't worry. Everything would turn out fine."

So step one, done. The second step was next.

He could not concentrate on anything that day. He had a cooking class and usually, it would turn out well because he was good in cooking. But he burnt the food. He just could not contain himself. He just wanted to end the day. On the other hand, he didn't want to.

It was lunch time when he and Kangin crossed paths again. He smiled at him, just like before. He wasn't awkward at all. At least, he would feel awkward. But why was he not? He smiled awkwardly at Kangin and he left. Did Yesung make a mistake and put it inside the locker of someone else? Probably not, because Yesung said he saw Kangin while opening his locker. Did he already receive the letter and read it? Probably, because it was the half of the day.

Oh well, he would just wait until dismissal later.

So he did. He was clenching his fists tightly as he headed to the basketball court.

Good thing, there wasn't any basketball practice that day so no one would see him confessing. His heart was really beating so fast. Anytime, he would faint. But he silently hoped he would not in the middle of confessing to Kangin.

He entered the basketball court. There was no one yet. His hope died a little when he didn't see anyone. He decided to wait a little more. He walked towards the bench where he used to watch Kangin. It was nostalgic.

After a minute, Sungmin decided to walk inside the basketball team's locker room. His heart skipped a beat when he saw a tall figure, with his back facing him, holding his letter with his right hand resting on his side. "Did you write this letter?"

It was definitely not Kangin. He knew his voice and his built. But who could it be? "I-I think there was sort of mis-"

The guy turned around. "Sungmin, I never thought you... you liked me. This is a dream, Sungmin. A dream that I've been dreaming of since the day I first saw you. I just want you to know that I like you, too," Sungmin was shocked when the guy hugged him tightly as he put his head on his temple. "Please go out with me."

He could not react. It was the first time that someone confessed to him. It felt good, but it was wrong. It was just a mistake.  It was intended for Kangin, not for this person. "I-I'm-"

"Kyuhyun, I would want to use your locker a-"

Sungmin automatically pushed the guy away and turned around. It was Kangin. And he just wanted to shrink that time because Kangin saw them hugging. What he saw was a mistake and he wanted to tell him that, but words could not come out from his mouth. Kangin awkwardly chuckled.

"U-Uh... I think I am disturbing something... I'll just..." Kangin stepped back and turned around. "Forget about it, Kyuhyun. I'll just use mine." He ran away as fast as he could, and Sungmin wasn't able to call him back.

"Sungmin?" Kyuhyun called his name. But he wasn't able to react.

He was not able to tell Kangin that he got the wrong picture. But what could it do? Kangin turned away and he didn't even react at what he saw. No sign of anger or anything. Maybe Kangin was just treating him just like the others. Why was he delusional to think that he was different?

○●○

Yesung nearly splashed the juice that he was sipping. Sungmin was narrating what happened last time. "S-Seriously? I put the letter on the wrong locker?"

Sungmin nodded. "Apparently, it was Kyuhyun's."

"So what did you do? I am so sorry, Sungmin... I am really sorry," Yesung apologized as he bowed his head.

Sungmin shook his head and smiled. "It can't be helped. Kangin didn't like me anyway." His smile disappeared and it was turned into frown as he looked at his unfinished sandwich.

"What happened to you and Kyuhyun then?" Yesung asked. "Did you reject him?"

Sungmin held the straw and used it to mix his shake. "I didn't. I didn't know what to do so I... I actually accepted his confession. I guess this is better. At least I know Kyuhyun likes me. It's better than to continue to hope for Kangin."

"Are you sure it's okay?" Yesung asked.

"It will be," he said. Kyuhyun, who just came wave and greeted him from a distance. "It has to be."

○●○

"So... it was Sungmin?"

Kyuhyun looked at Kangin who just came inside the basketball court for a basketball practice. He sat beside Kyuhyun who was sitting on the floor. "Yes, it was Sungmin. I didn't know you knew him?"

"Well I didn't know you knew him either," Kangin said. "You confessed yesterday, right? How did it go? Was it good?"

"He actually wrote me a love letter. I thought I was dreaming," Kyuhyun grinned like a fool when he remembered what Sungmin wrote. "We are going out. This is our first day. I am going to take him home."

Kangin smiled meekly. "Good for the both of you."

Kyuhyun noticed that Kangin was smiling but he wasn't happy at all. "Why? Why are you like that?"

Kangin looked at him. "To be honest, I am brokenhearted right now. Remember what I told you before that I liked a guy before? It was Sungmin. I have my eyes on him ever since he went to our basketball practice," Kangin confessed. Kyuhyun was shocked at the confession. "But don't worry, Kyuhyun. I know that you like each other and you started dating now, so I am going to be happy for the both of you. I wish you all the best."

"Thank you, Kangin hyung," Kyuhyun smiled and stretched his hand towards Kangin. "I won't make Sungmin cry, I promise."

Kangin gladly accepted Kyuhyun's hand and shook it. "If you do, I would punch you with both hands."

○●○

Kyuhyun and Sungmin started dating that day. Kyuhyun took him home after his basketball practice. Good thing, Sungmin had extracurricular activities as well so they could go home together.

"Thanks for walking me home even if you're house is in the opposite direction," Sungmin thanked Kyuhyun as they reached his house. "Do you want to go in?"

"Are your parents there?" Kyuhyun asked. "If yes then I could pay them some greetings."

Sungmin's expression turned sad as he looked on the ground. "My parents are divorced. Both of them are outside the country so I am the only one living here. After graduation, I will transfer to the State and live with my mom."

"Ouch," Kyuhyun uttered. Sungmin immediately glanced at him and asked him why. Kyuhyun smiled. "It's just that you'll leave after graduation. It's like only almost five months left."

Sungmin nodded. "It's still a long time."

"Why? Are you already anticipating for it?" Kyuhyun asked.

"N-No... it's just that..." He could not say it was about his feelings with Kangin. Of course, he could not tell him the real reason. "Oh, it's pretty late already. Are you sure you won't go in?"

"Maybe next time, Sungmin," Kyuhyun smiled sweetly and he held his hands. Sungmin blushed as his eyes meet with Kyuhyun. "I promise you, Sungmin, that for the next five months, we'll make it awesome. We'll make good memories. I'll make you happy."

Sungmin smiled as well and nodded. Kyuhyun removed his hands from Sungmin's.

"Oh, you have to go in. It's getting colder," Kyuhyun said. "See you tomorrow."

○●○

The first three months passed just like that. A lot of things happened in the first month. During lunch breaks, they would eat together. When Kyuhyun had basketball practice or game, Sungmin would watch him. Kyuhyun would always take him home, as usual. During weekends, they would go to the plaza or to the park for a walk, they would eat out, or they would just have a conversation. Sungmin got to know about Kyuhyun more, and Kyuhyun got to know about Sungmin as well.

For the first month, Sungmin was feeling awkward whenever Kangin would join them in lunch breaks or whenever he would see them play basketball. It was slowly getting okay for Sungmin, but the feeling for the latter was still there. He was feeling a little guiltier to Kyuhyun because the latter was so kind to him. He took care of him very much during that first month. Kyuhyun was fulfilling his promise, little by little. They were creating good memories - those that Sungmin had never experienced before.

For the second month, it was the first time that Sungmin invited Kyuhyun to dinner at his house. Kyuhyun accepted it wholeheartedly. Sungmin cooked for him. Kyuhyun was too happy to eat Sungmin's food. Sungmin was happy that he was able to cook something for someone because he had been alone for almost all his high school life because his parents started living away when he reached high school. Kyuhyun praised the food too much, and unbelievably, his smile towards him just made his heart beat fast. That month also was the month that his feelings for Kangin slowly faded away.

For the third month, it was December and the snow began to fall. And it was the first time for Sungmin to enjoy the snow. Kyuhyun took Sungmin outside his house and invited him to play in the snow.

Kyuhyun loved the snow so much. He played lin the snow like a child and Sungmin was capturing all the moments with a camera.

He stared at Kyuhyun as he was waving at him and smiling at him. He could not believe that a mistaken confession would make him feel like that. He didn't even know Kyuhyun nor he paid attention to him. All he could see was Kangin back then. But then, fate just made a move for them to become together. And he was not regretting the day that he accepted Kyuhyun's confession. To himself, he knew that he was slowly, and truly, falling for Kyuhyun - the person who made him so happy and not alone.

His thoughts were cut when Kyuhyun threw a snowball to him. He glared at Kyuhyun who was laughing at him. "Sungmin! What are you waiting for!?"

Sungmin chuckled and ran after Kyuhyun to throw him a snowball. He had never been happy before. He had never laughed that way before.

He threw the snowball and missed. "Damn it! I'll get you for sure next time!" Just like how you got my heart.

○●○

"Merry Christmas!"

Sungmin was happy to see Kyuhyun in front of his house. It was Christmas eve, and he was preparing something for them to eat. He let Kyuhyun in.

"Wew, it's so cold outside," Kyuhyun commented as he created a friction with his two hands after putting the gift on the table. Sungmin didn't have a Christmas tree because to be honest, he never celebrated Christmas ever since his parents divorced. It was the first time, yet again, because it was part of creating good memories. "I have a present for you."

"Yes, I can see that," Sungmin grinned as he looked at the gift. "Sorry, Kyuhyun, I have no gift for you."

Kyuhyun pouted. "Unfair!"

"Stop acting like a child, Kyuhyun," Sungmin laughed and walked towards him. "I'll get your present. It's upstairs."

Kyuhyun smiled and pulled Sungmin's hand when he was about to go upstairs to get his present. "Hmm, just get it later. I am starving and I can't wait to eat what you prepared for dinner."

Sungmin held Kyuhyun's hand back. "Fine. Let's go to the dining room."

They had a feast afterwards. Kyuhyun volunteered to wash the dishes so Sungmin went upstairs to get Kyuhyun's present. After washing the dishes, Kyuhyun sat on the sofa and Sungmin joined him afterwards. "Open my gift for you first."

"No," Sungmin declined and gave his present to Kyuhyun. "Open this first."

Kyuhyun crossed his arms. "I won't. Open mine first."

Sungmin sighed. "Fine," he said, and opened Kyuhyun's present. It was a pink bunny. He eyed Kyuhyun who was laughing. "Do you think I'm a kid!?"

"Yes, you're one cute kid, Sungmin hyung!" Kyuhyun used the pink bunny to talk to Sungmin. "Come on, you're like a pink bunny!"

"I hate you," Sungmin said.

"I don't think you hate me," Kyuhyun smiled. "I chose that because I wanted you to have someone by your side when you are in the States, or even here at home. I don't want you to be alone, Sungmin, or to feel alone."

Sungmin could not speak. His tears were on the verge of falling. Kyuhyun really cared for him. And he was happy about that. "Hmm, you're stupid," Sungmin wiped his eyes. "Open mine!" He said excitedly.

"I made you cry?" Kyuhyun teased and got the pink bunny again to roleplay. "Woot! Kyuhyun hyung made Sungmin hyung cry!"

Sungmin pouted and playfully hit Kyuhyun. "Shut up and open my present now!"

Kyuhyun laughed first before opening Sungmin's present. It was a picture frame of him and Sungmin taken that time when they played in the snow. His expression turned dark all of a sudden. 

Sungmin worriedly asked him, "Did you not like it? Sorry Kyuhyun, I had no money and... I think it's a great gift!" Kyuhyun didn't speak though. "Kyuhyun? Are you mad that I just-"

"Forget this, you're making me cry," Kyuhyun said. Sungmin was shocked to see Kyuhyun crying. "This is a great gift, alright? But," Kyuhyun paused and held Sungmin's shoulder. "I guess this would be a better gift."

Sungmin's eyes widened as Kyuhyun kissed his lips, for the first time. His heart beat faster that it skipped beats. He held Kyuhyun's shoulder and closed his eyes. When the kiss ended, Sungmin tucked his head on Kyuhyun's shoulder. "I... I hate you for stealing my first kiss."

"And I love you, too," Kyuhyun said and put his hand on Sungmin's head.

○●○

A week had passed. It was New Year eve. It was the fourth and second to the last month before he left for the States. And it was his birthday.

Kyuhyun invited him to his house. He fetched him from his house and they rode Kyuhyun's car to the latter's house.

Sungmin was surprised to see Kyuhyun's house. No, it was more of a mansion. He was amazed at everything that he saw when he started touring around. He was really living with money.

Kyuhyun had told him before that his parents owned a company. However, it was just it. Sungmin didn't know that it was understatement.

"Everyone is having New Years Eve with families so I am alone,'" Kyuhyun explained and pulled him to the living room.

"I didn't know you are rich," Sungmin said.

"My parents are rich, not me," Kyuhyun corrected. "They are not here, so don't look for them. They are always away so I don't expect them to go here even on my birthday."

Sungmin remembered that Kyuhyun's birthday was on February, two weeks before graduation. Kyuhyun said that there would be a party so he was invited. Of course, he would come. It was Kyuhyun's birthday party anyway. "Don't worry, I'll be there."

Kyuhyun smiled sweetly. "I know," he said as he held his hands. "You can invite Yesung too."

Two hours before the countdown, they ate dinner. Kyuhyun prepared and cooked the food for Sungmin. Sungmin appreciated all the effort that Kyuhyun exerted for him. While Kyuhyun was singing and playing the piano, he was thinking about not migrating to the States anymore. He wanted to be with Kyuhyun. So he told Kyuhyun about his decision.

"I... I would tell my mom that I want to stay here," Sungmin said hesitantly to Kyuhyun while they were at the balcony. "I don't want to leave you."

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin and met his eyes. "Sungmin, I know that you want to live with your mom too. I don't want to be selfish."

"You are not being selfish, Kyuhyun. This is my decision. Before, I want to be with my mom because I feel so incomplete without them. But I guess, I can visit her anytime, and Dad as well. I want to be here because I love you."

Kyuhyun smiled and touched his cheek. "If that is your decision, then I respect that. And if you want to go to your mom or to your dad, I'll be with you. I promise," he said. "Oh, I have a birthday gift for you."

Kyuhyun got something inside his pocket. It was a box and it contained two rings. To be exact, two wedding rings. "Eh? A wedding ring? Are you marrying me?"

Kyuhyun chuckled and held Sungmin's right hand as he put the ring on his finger. "Yes. I am marrying you right now, Lee Sungmin. And you're marrying me as well, although not civilly," Kyuhyun gave him another ring. "I would want to tie my life with you forever. This ring symbolizes my promise. I promise that I will be here for you always. I love you."

Sungmin stared at the ring on his finger.  They said that a mistake would make or break something. It took him one mistake for him to love someone. And it was definitely not to break something.

It was his turn to put the ring on Kyuhyun's finger. "I want you to know that I love you. I just want to make you happy and starting from now, we'll create another set of good memories."

And so the countdown began.

Ten.

Nine.

Eight.

Seven.

Six.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

It was only the beginning of their love that would last forever. They hoped.

"Happy new year!" Kyuhyun whispered to Sungmin. "And happy birthday, Sungmin. Can I kiss you now?"

Sungmin smirked and pulled Kyuhyun to a kiss.

♡♥♡

So... (SPOILER)THIS HAS A SEQUEL(SPOILER). MWAHAHAHAHAHA. Happy KyuMin Day everyone! :">