Tides

The Tail of Jolyu

"That's why you can't get a girl!" Youngmin shouted back at his twin. He kicked up sand as he took off running, fanning his nose dramatically. 

"Youngmin ah!" Kwangmin shouted sadly. "Everyone farts, it's natural!" He took off after his brother, as Youngmin threw his fists in the air and waved them about madly. Kwangmin shut his eyes tightly and opened his mouth, laughing into the blissful sun. 

After tackling Youngmin, the twins wrestled around in the hot, white sand. Today coudn't be more perfect. The weekend brought temporary freedom and a chance to escape their busy school life. The beach happened to be one of their favorite retreats. 

The twins were identical. They both had dark brown hair and huge black eyes. No one could tell them apart. However, during school, anyone could tell. Youngmin was always surrounded by giggling girls. He couldn't help it; he was just naturally flirtatious.  Kwangmin, however, always seemed to be the unseen shadow. He couldn't understand why girls never liked him as much as Youngmin. They look the same, right? So why shouldn't he get any attention? Kwangmin tried to be noticed. He was just as lively and friendly as Youngmin, but he seemed to always drown in his brother's charisma and charm. 

He was contemplating this as he sat atop Youngmin's stomach. Kwangmin playfully slapped his twin's shoulders. "Yah, why do all the girls like you more? We look the same!"

Youngmin laughed, pushing his brother away. He began to sift the sand through his fingers. He said thoughfully, "Maybe you're just too...sweet?" he laughed again. "You always help the teacher to her car or hold the door open for people. Those kinds of things! Try to be more bad boy... like me!" Youngmin punched his own chest lightly. "Be a man!" 

Kwangmin couldn't help but laugh. His brother, like himself, reeked of aegyo. Neither of them were anywhere close to being manly. He sighed. I guess it IS because I'm too friendly... I need to be more like a bad boy!

Suddenly, Youngmin dove on his brother, tackling him to the sand once again.

"Yah, do you want to die?!" Kwangmin shrieked, suprised. "What did I do?"

Laughing, Youngmin continued wrestling, their limbs grasping one another as they fought like little boys. "Don't change, Kwangmin! I like you how you are! I'm sure there's a girl somewhere that will like you!"

Kwangmin flushed madly. He knew Youngmin was kidding, but it still hurt. He brushed it off and rolled around the beach with his brother, still laughing. Youngmin stopped suddenly and looked beside them. His arm had brushed against something wet and clamy.  

He jumped away, shrieking, "What is that?!" 

Calmly, Kwangmin looked at the large lump to his left. What IS it? He studied it for a minute. "It's a girl!"

Youngmin fell to his knees, suddenly worried. What if she's injurred? he thought.

The girl's small pale body glistened in the sunlight. Her eyes were closed, although she seemed to be breathing. She had short, black hair that looked as if someone had cut it with a primitive tool. A piece of an old, worn cloth that at one point had been white was tied around her s loosely over thin, mangled scraps of fishing net. Shells, broken glass, keys, coins, and other paraphanilla was tied to a string around her neck. 

"SHE'S NOT WEARING PANTS!" Kwangmin shouted, covering his eyes.

Youngmin's eyes shot to her legs before he could stop himself. "Aish, Kwangmin ah there's seaweed all over her body, you can't see anything." Youngmin moved to the girl's other side. His hands cupped her face gently as he examined. She's so pale... otherwise she looks okay. Carefully setting her head back down, Youngmin felt her pulse. She's definitely alive.

Kwangmin exhaled, letting his hands fall. He had noticed the girl's necklace, too. He carefully touched a coin. Greece? His eyes widened. Another coin was Australian. "Youngmin! There are coins on her necklace from every continent!" 

His twin wasn't paying attention. Kwangmin looked up to see his brother staring goofily at the girl. "She's so CUTE! Can i poke her?" Youngmin asked excitedly, extending his index finger.

The girl's pale hand shot up and grasped his finger tightly. Her eyes opened as she sat up, hissing at Youngmin. Kwangmin's eyes widened as they shifted between the girl and his brother. Youngmin remained calm. He let her grasp his finger tightly, trying not to flinch from the pain. He stared into her large grey eyes as her harsh breathing slowed. Not knowing quite what to do, Kwangmin carefully rested his hand on her shoulder as she calmed down. 

"Shhhh....," Youngmin whispered soothingly.The girl's eyes looked weary. 

Rubbing the girl's shoulder gently, Kwangmin whispered to his brother. "Should we take her home?"

Youngmin nodded. "We'll have to sneak her in." The girl loosened her grip on Youngmin's finger slowly. She seemed to have decided that the boys were not going to harm her.

Kwangmin quickly took off his long, thin jacket and wrapped it around her shivering body, zipping it up. It was long enough to reach her mid-theigh.  The twins stood, each grapsing one of her arms to help her stand up. The seaweed that covered her body fell to the sand. Her legs were useless; they were as strong as jelly. The girl moaned, feeling weak as her ankles continued to bend odd ways. Youngmin quickly wraped his arms under the girl's body, picking her up. 

Kwangmin pouted, "Why can't I carry her?" 

"Yah, you got to put your jacket on her!" Youngmin argued, suddenly breaking into a quick trot.

Ignoring him, Kwangmin skipped in front of the two and began to walk backwards. He poked the girl's cheek gently.

"Yah, do you speak?" he giggled.

She looked up at him, bouncing along as Youngmin crossed the beach quickly. opened and she slowly repeated his words, "Yah, do you speak?"

Youngmin giggled, "Wah, she's so cute!"

"Wah, she's so cute!" she repeated.

"What's your name?" Kwangmin asked, his eyes wide with excitement.

"What's your name?"

Kwangmin sighed. This would be tougher than he thought. He pointed to himself. "I am Kwangmin." The girl nodded as if she understood, then looked up at Youngmin. 

He flashed a lovely smile. "Youngmin."

She repeated both of their names carefully.

She's getting it! Kwangmin thought excitedly. He pointed to the girl questioningly. Come on, what's your name? Please understand me. The girl shrugged, her eyes wide.

"Maybe she doesn't remember!" Youngmin said, tightening his hold on her. Poor girl... she's so lost and confused. What could have happened to her?

"Let's call her Jolyu (tide in korean)!" Kwangmin said, his eyes sparkling. 

"Jolyu? Wae?" Youngmin asked. They had just reached the street. Thankfully, the boy's house was only a mile away. 

Kwagmin nodded. "Neh! Because it looked like the tide had washed her up!"  He skipped next to Youngmin.

"You have such an imagination," Youngmin chuckled. 

"Jolyu!" the girl spoke up. The twin's eyes widened. "I am Jolyu," she stated happily, forming her first sentence. 

------------------------------------

A/N

Wah!! I really enjoyed writing about Boyfriend in the oneshot request I wrote, so I thought I would do it again! Hope you like it! Please comment! <3