Chapter 3

It's complicated

In class, you kept on thinking about what to wear for your date with Jin. You know its only playing basketball but somehow, you wanted to impress him. You don’t usually dress up, typical you would only wear t-shirts and jeans. But after getting to know Yerin, you kind of want to get out of your boy-ish image. You stole glaces at him, smiling as you see Jin wearing glasses. “Oh so you’re shy nerd” You said nudging him. “No, not really. Just bad eye sight” he fixes his glasses. “But I didn’t see you wearing glasses earlier” you said as you take out your ipod out of your back pack. “I hate glasses. They make you feel weird and make you look nerdy. That’s why I’m getting a contact lense next week” he said shrugging

Your school life hasn’t officially started yet since some of the books were not distributed yet and the school schedule was not fixed yet so the school allowed all of the students to go home early. You were walking out of the campus, waving goodbye to some friends when you saw Jin approaching you with his bike.

“Going home?” he said to you, rubbing the back of his neck. You gave him a nod. “Want a ride home?” he said, looking at his bike. “Really? You sure?” your eyes light up. “Um, yeah. Hop on”. You climbed to the bike and wrapped your hands around his waist, cheek burning. He was surprised for a while and then gave a light chuckle, he was blushing too. “So where’s your house?” he asked as he paddled. “It’s 15 blocks from here” you said, admiring the scenery around you. “Why didn’t you tell me it was that far?” he said, shocked. “Because you said it was okay” you said laughing. “You didn’t say it was THAT far” he said to you. “You didn’t ask me” you stick out you tongue at him. You saw your old friends from your old school so you told Jin to stop, and he did.

“Gina! Long time no see!” Joonhe, greeted you. “Yeah, been a while. So what’s up? I missed you guys” you gave them a high five. “Pretty good. I see you have a boyfriend there. Cute, our little Gina is becoming more girly day by day” they said to you teasingly. “Pfft no way, he’s a friend. Anyways, you’re all guys, doesn’t mean you guys are my boyfriend does it?” you laughed. “We were just on our way to your house, we wanted to give you this if you’re interested” one of them gave you a ticket. “A drifting contest? Damn, this is fun….wait, is it tomorrow?” you said grinning. “Yeah, I thought you know, since it’s a Saturday you won’t have plans” they said to you. “Sorry you guys, but I think I’m going to miss this one out, I have plans” you said to them. “Like a date with that guy?” Joonhe said to you, nudging his head towards Jin’s direction. “It’s not a date. It’s… a basketball match” you said giving him a punch on his shoulder. “Gin, it’s okay if you like a guy, the world isn’t going to end. And it proves, that you are not a lesbian” Joonhe said raising one of his eyebrows. “Ew, okay for the record, I was never that. I don’t think I like him that much though, just friend like, not like like” you said. “Okay suit yourself, oh we gotta run, see ya Gin!” they waved you goodbye.

“Wow, you really are a tomboy” Jin said to you as you walk towards him. “Yeah. Sorry for keeping you waiting. I’m going to make it up to you, how about ice cream?” you point towards a ice cream truck. “That’s okay haha but…I don’t think an ice cream would hurt” Jin said, as he dragged his bike. Both of you ordered a ice cream of you choice and sat beneath a tree. “This is nice” you said while eating the ice cream. “You sure your mom is okay if you come home late? She won’t think that I kidnapped you or anything right?” he said to you with a shaky voice. “Nah, I already told my mom this morning, if I’m home late, I’m probably out with my new friends” you said smiling. “Friend” he corrects it. “Same thing. Anyways, my house is only 2 more blocks away, I can walk” you said throwing the ice cream wrapper into the trash can. “No, I’ll take you. So I can pick you up tomorrow?” he said to you, throwing his ice cream wrapper too. “W-what? You’re gonna pick me up tomorrow?” you said blushing. “Yeah..It’s a date right? How can I not pick a girl up on a date?” he said smiling.

You both went back to the bike and then he paddled until he reaches your house. When he dropped you home, your mom was in front of the house, watering the plants. “Oh, hello Mrs. Park. Taking Gina back late. I’m Jin, pleasure to meet you” Jin said smiling to your mom. “Oh it’s fine, she told me she was going out with a friend. Thank you for bringing her home safely Jin. Pleasure to meet you too. Do you want to go in for tea?” you mom smiled at him, she was always such a warm person. “Thank you Mrs. Park but I have to get home” he said. “Oh okay then. Be save” you mom said to him. “Thanks Jin, see you tomorrow” you said to him. He nodded and went. “Oh, who’s that cute guy?” your mom said. “A friend” you said sheepishly. “You know, it’s okay for me if you have a boyfriend” she said teasing you. “Ugh, he’s not my boyfriend Mom” you said, going inside the house.

You went showering right away and ate dinner with your mom and dad. You’re use to come home late but it was your first time being this happy coming home late. You went straight to your bed room. You stare blankly into your closet, trying to find the perfect sport outfit to wear for tomorrow. “Omg, since when am I so girly all of the sudden? Ugh, I should stop this” you said to yourself as you closed the closet and went to bed.

“Gina, wake up it’s 12pm already” your mom yelled at you to wake you up. You rubbed your eyes and you wake up groaning, you wanted to sleep for the whole day but you realized something. So you dashed out of your room and take your bath right away, it’s the day you’re going to have a date with Jin. You kept thinking of his smile, the way he talks to you, the way he blushes, everything. “Oh so this is how you feel when you like a guy…its nice”. You went down and ate some cereals and watched television. Time flies quickly, you stare at your house clock “Holy , its 4. I have to get ready”. You ran up the stairs, into your room and grabbed your basketball outfit. When its already 5pm, you went down to check if Jin is already in front of your house. He was leaning to his bike when you saw him. You went out and he gave a smile “Ready for our date?”