Chapter 1

My Boyfriend's a Kpop Star?
Please log in to read the full chapter

1

I was attending my third year of college. I'm not quite sure how I survived all two years, yet I somehow did. The college that I went to was not one of the top three colleges in South Korea, but it was still pretty good. I got lucky in having good professors that actually knew what they were talking about, dining had some really good meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, campus dorms were big and comfy, and most students were really friendly.

There were only two downsides about it being my third year in college. One of them was that I still lived on campus because my parents didn’t want to pay money to live off campus and even if they let me, they were going to make me pay all of it by myself. The other downside was that I was stuck with the same roommate I had my freshman and sophomore year. His name was Kim Jongdae. He went by the nickname Chen except no one really called him that. Even though he had the mind of a ten year old and annoyed me a lot of the times, I still appreciated him because without him I would’ve probably been an introvert still; not wanting to talk to people and keeping things to myself. Jongdae was the one that made me open up. He was a roommate and a friend to me. He was really my only friend. I had no one except him.

Usually nothing major or interesting happened at my school. Every day was just students walking around campus and hanging out with their friends, but today was different. Switching to next class felt the same like it did yesterday and the day before that. Jongdae and I would always take the long way to our next class. We would walk between the chemistry building and the biology building. Then we would cut through some trees and bushes and finally walk over to the opposite side of the street.

“Some popular Kpop group is visiting our school today,” Jongdae told me one morning while walking to our next class. I could tell just by looking at his face that he was overjoyed, for some reasons unknown. I wondered why. What was there to be so excited about over some Kpop group?

“A popular Kpop group?” I raised an eyebrow. I couldn’t think of a popular group that I knew. Oh right, I didn’t listen to Kpop. “What group?”

“Uh-O,” Jongdae said.

“What?” I immediately thought something was wrong. “What’s the matter?”

“No! That’s the name of the group, Chanyeol.”

I wanted to laugh. I really did, but I couldn’t because I knew Jongdae was serious. I don’t know who in their right mind would come up with the name Uh-O for a Kpop group, though. I wanted to know what entertainment company they were under. “Pffft, what the hell is Uh-O?”

“You don’t know Uh-O?” Jongdae gasped. He was acting like the world was coming to its end just because one person didn’t know some Kpop group named Uh-O. I had never heard that name in my entire life and he said they were popular. I didn’t believe him. “They’re all over the entertainment news!”

“Why would I know Uh-O, Jongdae? I don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”

“Uh-O is a popular boy Kpop group,” Jongdae said for the second time even though I heard him the first time. “They’re visiting here today.”

“Why?” I asked, though I honestly could care less.

“They’re searching for a new rapper to be in their group since the other one left.”

“Hmm, I wonder why,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“The company said he left for personal reasons.”

“That was a rhetorical question, Jongdae,” I started to walk ahead of him. “You’re not supposed to answer.”

“Oh! Well, how was I supposed to know?” He tried to keep up with me, yet I was too quick for his feet.

A screaming girl from behind came running into me. She bumped into my shoulder, making me drop all my books and a couple binders. I gave her a look, but my look was not intimidating enough. She did a quick bow and apologized. She didn’t help me pick up any of my belongings. She just kept running down the sidewalk.

“Ugh. Crazy fangirl,” I sighed, bending over to pick up my books.

“Yeah,” Jongdae agreed. He got on his knees to help me with my books. His khaki pants were getting dirty. “It’s like they don’t care that auditions for Uh-O's new rapper is at our school. They just want to see oppa. I want to see oppa, too!”

I glanced up at him. His eyes were glistening and I couldn’t tell if it was just the sun. I was hoping it was just the sun. His eyes did some pretty weird things when I was around. I acted like I didn’t see that.

“But you’re a boy,” I reminded him. “Shouldn’t you call him your hyung?”

“I know,” he handed me one of my textbooks. “My bias is BB.”

“Um…okay?”

“He’s so cool!”

“Jongdae, are you in love with this BB boy?”

“Of course!”

“Um…” It was silent for a while.

“No. Not like that,” Jongdae laughed. I could hear the nervousness in that laugh of his. “I’m completely straight.”

“Is that so?”

“I’m in love with BB’s voice. I’m jealous because he’s so hot and I wish I was as hot as him. Everybody loves him. He’s everyone’s bias.”

“Who’s BB?” I asked him. “What type of name is BB?”

“BB is his stage name. Wow, you must not know anything about Kpop,” he shook his head in disappointment. What did he expect from someone like me?

“You know I don’t listen to that girly crap that you listen to.”

“Kpop is not girly!” Jongdae gasped. “Kpop is the best thing in this world! Anyway, BB hasn’t given out his real name to the public yet, but one day I will find out what it is.”

“Oh God,” I wanted to throw up. “Please, stop talking. You sound like those crazy fangirls.”

“Fanboy,” he corrected me.

Please log in to read the full chapter