Knight in Shining Armor

When Four Thieves Move In
Please log in to read the full chapter

 "Key hyung...are you feeling alright?" the prince spoke up, noticing the way the older man angrily stabbed pins into a defenseless mannequin he used to design Taemin's new shirt.

"Oh yes, I'm feeling juuuust fine," he insisted between clenched teeth and jabbed another pin into the stuffed doll.

Taemin and Luna, who were seated comfortably on a settee the other side of the room, exchanged knowing looks, silently agreeing that Kibum was definitely lying.

"Kibum, if there's something that you want to talk about, we're all ears. It's just us here anyways." Luna assured, absentmindedly rubbing circles on her swollen stomach.

Key sighed in defeat and slumped himself against the stuffed figure. "....why do you think Jonghyun hasn't asked me to marry him yet?"

Their was a brief moment of silence that filled the room; neither of them knew how to answer their friend's question.

"Perhaps he's waiting for you to do it? You're both men after all. The option is open for both of you." Luna guessed.

Key scoffed and moved to the other side of the room to trim the hem of the prince's shirt. "Oh please. It's obvious he's the man in this relationship. There's no way he'd expect me to propose to him."

The man huffed in exasperation. "You don't think Jjongie's tired of me....is he?"

"Of course not, Key! He loves you more than anyone. He could never get tired of you!" Taemin argued. Luna nodded in agreement.

"I know...but it's just that these days we're both so busy with our careers we haven't had much time to ourselves. What if he's found someone else? He is a knight after all. Other women would do anything to get in bed with him!" Key exclaimed dramatically, smothering his face into a couch pillow afterwards.

"Key, I assure you, you're overreacting. Jonghyun loves you very much. He just doesn't have the chance to express himself as much these days. Give it a little time."

"...I suppose you have a point." Key admitted.

"Right. So you're not going to worry about it anymore, correct?" Luna said.

".....yeah. I guess."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Jonghyun had just finished his exhausting training routine for the day and was headed up to his room to take a cold shower. However, because the training yard for the knights was getting its grass trimmed, exercises took place on the other side of the palace, leaving the knight completely and utterly lost.

"Sheesh, why the heck is this castle so freaking gigantic? I'm always getting myself lost..." he murmered to himself as he rounded another corner to another never-ending hallway.

"Need some help?" a soft voice asked from behind.

Jonghyun jumped a little in surprise and turned around, finding a smiling young girl standing behind him.

"Your room is in that direction, Sir Jonghyun." she informed him, pointing in the opposite direction he was originally headed in.

"Oh, I see. Thank you, I always manage to get lost in this gigantic palace."

"No problem. I was like that at first too. Would you like me to walk you there?"

He nodded. "Yes, please."

The knight then began following the girl towards the other side of the palace, chatting along the way.

"I'm sorry, but what was your name again? I know you're one of Minho's advisors."

"Tiffany, sir. My apologies for not properly introducing myself earlier." she bowed her head to him.

"Nothing to worry about. I like it better when things are casual anyways." he winked to her as they finally reached his room.

"Thank you again.  I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't shown up to help me out. I was planning on spending some time with my boyfriend tonight and it would be awful if I had just blown him off."

"Well that's just sweet. Sir Kibum is certainly lucky to have such a caring and loving boyfriend like yourself." Tiffany complimented him.

He laughed. "Well, thank you."

"Well aren't we having fun?"

Both of their heads turned to a new voice that had spoken from down the hall. There stood Key, with arms crossed and eyes shooting daggers at the female advisor that had gotten friendly with his boyfriend.  

Jonghyun smiled at his lover, oblivious to the angry expression he had on. "Oh, hey baby I was just-"

"Just what? Talking to another woman behind my back? I see how it is. You really couldn't abstain for only a couple of weeks, could you? You just had to go out and find someone else that could please you while I was working my off, right?"

"W..what?! Key, what are you talking about?" Jonghyun exclaimed as his boyfriend stomped away from him. "Key come back here!"

He bowed to Tiffany in apology and ran after his upset lover. "Kibum!"

"What?!" he shouted as Jonghyun stopped him and spun him around.

"What is wrong with you? Why are you acting this way?" he demanded.

Key could feel the tears pooling in the back of his eyes. "I don't want to speak to you. Now let me go!"

"Not until you tell me what's going on!" he persisted, feeling himself beginning to lose his temper.

"Is she...is she why you don't want to marry me?"

Jonghyun was completely taken aback by what Key had just said. "Key, I was only speaking to her and being friendly! I would never cheat on you! Why would you think such a thing? Of course I want to marry you!"

"Then...why haven't you proposed to me yet?"

"I...I don't know." Jonghyun paused for a moment, puzzed himself. "I suppose the thought just slipped my mind."

"Just...slipped your mind?" Key felt the tears running freely now. "So you just forgot? It wasn't that important to you to make it a priority, is that it?"

Jonghyun was stunned that his lover could even think of him to be so insensitive. "Key, you know I don't mean it like that! I just-"

Before Jonghyun could say another word his lover ran off in the other direction. He didn't want to hear anymore of it.

"Bummie, wait! Please, it's not what you think!" Jonghyun called and ran after him. But before he could reach him Key had vanished behind a corner of the next hallway and out of sight.

Jonghyun cursed under his breath and slammed his fist into the wall next to him as his sobbing lover ran as fast as he could to the only place he knew he could always turn to when he was upset.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Just cry it out, sweetie. It's alright."

Key sniffled and buried his face deeper into Mrs. Park's shoulder. After he'd gotten away from Jonghyun he immediately rode into town to see the first person he'd thought of that he knew could comfort him at a time like this.

They were now in her bedroom at the orphanage, both seated on the bed while she rubbed the younger male's back for comfort as he sobbed.

"Umma," Key started.

Please log in to read the full chapter