Daddy's Little Girl

Child Searching For A Star

     

Chapter 8 - Daddy's Little Girl

 
 

 

A new day was already starting.

 

The two parents were still sleeping, their bodies brought up against each other, still covered in the woman's bed sheets as the sun was slowly rising up in today's blue sky.

 

The sound of a little girl giggling on the other side of the door slowly made Byunghee wake up from his sleep. From the ceiling, he looked back down and saw that Hannah was still sleeping, her body entangled in his. He smiled as he watched her peacefully lying in his arms.

 

Having time for his thoughts, he kept rethinking about the sudden change in his life in the last few days. The idea of having a kid hasn't fully sunk in yet but it was still in the back of his mind.

 

He wasn't feeling the panic but instead the happiness.

 

A three years old girl, on the other side of that closed door, was his. His own flesh and blood. Part of him and part of Hannah, the one he loves, combined into this one beautiful little girl.

 

As he kept thinking about Jinni, his smile soon faded away.

 

He just realized that he lost three years of her life.

 

He missed her first steps, her first words, her first laugh, her first smile and the list goes on. But yet, his mind wandered to the future first times that were yet to come and once again, his smile reappeared, knowing that he won't miss them for the world.

 

At that thought, he felt Hannah slowly moving against him, signaling that she was waking up from her sleep.

 

“Good morning~”

 

She looks up and couldn't help to let a smile escape from her lips as she responded with a light kiss on his cheek. He kept looking at her, hoping that what was going to come out from his mouth wouldn't break the peaceful atmosphere they were having at the moment.

 

“Hannah, I was wondering if I could spend a day with Jinni…”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I want to spend the day with our little girl, please?”

 

She props herself on her elbow, looking at Byunghee with his pleading eyes looking straight back at her. She still wasn't sure if he should be involved in their lives, especially for Jinni, but seeing as she pained him with her action she decided to give it a try, but only for one day.

 

Because a small voice in the back of her head was still giving her doubts.

 

“I guess… But… just for today. She still doesn't know who you are.”

 

“That’s all I'm asking for.”

 

He wraps her with his arms, making her fall back on bed with him on top as he sweetly kisses her, whispering a loving ‘thank you’ in between their lips.

 

 

 

 

They both got dressed up and went downstairs, heading towards the kitchen for some breakfast.

 

As they walked in, they saw the rest of the family looking at them, completely frozen up.

 

The only one that didn't seem to be looking at the couple with eyes wide open was the little girl. She didn't know who the man was, but looking at the joint hands between her mother and the stranger, something in her mind made her smile.

 

“Good morning…”

 

“Hi…”

 

“Are you going to leave us hanging or do we have to ask?” Hannah turned back to her father who was eyeing her along with Byunghee. “Huh?”

 

The boy leaned closer to her ear and softly whispered. “About us…”

 

“Oh, right. Hmm -”

 

“Is mommy in trouble again?” Everybody looked at Jinni who was slightly pouting the moment she heard the strong tone in her grandfather’s tone.

 

“I don't know… We'll have to see.”

 

The grandfather eyes his daughter along with the familiar man that was standing next to her. He gently asks Jinni to leave them for a moment, sending her back to her room. As she left, the older man cleared his throat, waiting for his daughter to explain herself.

 

“It's good to see you Byunghee.”

 

“Y-yes, sir. It's been a while…”

 

“I know, I wonder why.”

 

“Dad! Please!”

 

Feeling the sudden tension between the three, Hannah’s mother took over as she invited the other two to take a seat at the table. “Wh-why don't you two take a seat, and you mister leave your daughter alone. I'm sure she has a good explanation.”

 

“I didn't tell him about Jinni… He found out and confront me about it… I'm letting him spend the day with her today.”

 

“And what are you going to tell her?”

 

“I don't know, that her mother's best friend wants to know her?”

 

“Why not the truth?” Byunghee looked at her slightly confused while Hannah looked back at him, a little regret flashing in her eyes. “No.”

 

“Hannah, we agreed -”

 

“We didn't. All I said is that you could spend the day with her and nothing else. Just today. She doesn't need to know who you are.”

 

“Honey, are you sure it's a good idea? He is the father after all.”

 

“I don't know. But just for now, we'll leave it at that.”

 

“Anything to spend some time with her…”

 

 

After their conversation, Hannah, along with Byunghee, went to Jinni's room to explain to her that she would be spending her day with the stranger.

 

At first, she hesitated but seeing that her mother seemed to trust him, she decided to do the same.

 

The first time she saw him back at her school, she couldn't stop staring at him.

 

She was, somehow, drawn to the handsome stranger as she analyzed every feature that her eyes laid on.

 

For a split second, she even thoughts that he could maybe be her new daddy and after what she saw this morning, she was hoping that her mother might want to keep him by her side.

 

She would finally have a father and would stop being laughed at and bullied at school because of this factor.

 

 

In Byunghee's car, they were making their way back to the dorm since he needed to clean up before he could officially start his day with his daughter. He was usually good around kids, but with her, he was afraid of doing something wrong, which would ruined, not only the whole day, but also his chance of seeing her once again.

 

Driving away, he kept looking at the rearview mirror up front, stealing glances at the little girl sitting in the back. She was holding her plush teddy bear in her arms as she looked to the window on the side, admiring the view.

 

“I have to go back home first and change, is it okay with you Jinni?”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“Good…”

 

“What are we going to do today?”

 

“I'm bringing with me to work!”

 

“Work? What do you do?”

 

“I'm a singer in a group”

 

“Oh~ Mommy told me about them… you're like an idol?”

 

“Exactly~”

 

“Okay…”

 

“Did you want to do something special?

 

“No.”

 

“O-okay.”

 

A few minutes later, they arrived at the dorms.

 

Byunghee walked out of his car and helped Jinni out as he held her in his arms, making his way inside the building, double checking to make sure nobody was around, before making his way up.

 

 

 

 

Hearing a little girl's quick scream, Byunghee rushes out of his room, heading towards the living room where he sees Mir picking up his snake from the floor in front of a terrified Jinni who was trying to climb up on the top of the couch, tears streaming down her small face.

 

“MIR! What the hell is going on?!”

 

“I’m sorry, he escaped.”

 

“Put him back into his cage and lock him instead of putting him back in your room!”

 

He walks towards the little girl and swiftly takes her in his arms, while she wrapped her arms around his neck, her tears not stopping. He walks back to his room as he tries to calm her down, sitting on his bed with Jinni on his lap, not breaking away from her grip. He kept her hair, whispering comforting words to her ear, hoping that it would stop her crying

 

“Shush, it's okay. I'm here. It's over now.”

 

Guiltiness was making its way into his heart. Knowing that they had reptiles as pet he should've been more careful, but the excitement of having to spend the day with his little girl made him completely forget about the state their dorm was in. He sighed, disappointed in himself, but soon turns it around when he saw Cheondung at the door of his room.

 

“Cheondung, is Dadoong with you today?”

 

“Yea”

 

“Is it okay if I borrow him for a little while?”

 

“Sure, I'll bring him over.”

 

“Okay, thank you.”

 

He turns back to Jinni, who seemed to have calmed down a little bit as he only heard her sniffing, wiping her tears away. He places a kiss on her forehead and looks at her, wiping the last remaining tears on her cheek with an apologetic look. He places her head back on his shoulder so the side of her face was peacefully resting on his collarbone. He was slowly walking back and forth, humming a soft tune to Jinni, who was enjoying his voice as a small smile was appearing on her face.

 

Just then, Cheondung came back holding his cat in his arms. Jinni lifted her head up and a bright grin appeared on her face at the sight of the little animal in the man's arms.

 

“Whoa! Can I play with him? I'll be really careful, I promise! Please?”

 

“Of course~”

 

Byunghee placed Jinni back on his bed as Cheondung placed the cat on her lap. She gently started his back and from the looks of it, the pet seemed to really appreciate her gentleness. Byunghee let out a breath that he has been holding, satisfied with the outcome of what he was seeing. He turned to face his friend and thanked him for what he did.

 

“I owe you.”

 

“It's okay Hyung”

 

He crouches down to Jinni's level and joined her in petting the animal. As he did, his manager walked inside his room asking for the boys to hurry up since they were about to leave for the schedules all day.

 

“Hyung, is it okay if we bring her with us? I'm suppose to be spending the day with her.”

 

“I guess, but she's your responsibility, so be careful.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

He looks back at Jinni, who still had her eyes on the cat while Cheondung and the manager left them alone. He crouched back to her level gaining her attention as she looked at him with  her big curious eyes.

 

“You have to go to work?”

 

“Yes and you're coming with me~”

 

“Can the cat come? I promise I'll take care of him, please?”

 

“We will have to ask his owner, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind as long as you're careful with him, okay?”

 

“Promise!”

 

She held out her pinkie finger in front of Byunghee who chuckled at her cuteness and responded by intertwining his pinkie with hers. With this done, he gets back up on his feet as she gets out of bed and takes the cat in her arms walking out of his room with her father following behind, a smile on his face.

 

The rest of the members were by the main door, wearing their shoes as they were ready to head out to start their day. Jinni stopped in her tracks, looking up at the rest of the boys who were smiling at her while she was looking at them curiosity filling her mind. She turns to Byunghee, her cheeks puffed out as a question was slowly forming itself on the tip of her tongue.

 

“Who are they?”

 

“They are my friends. These are the rest of the members of the group I told you about, and the oldest is our manager.”

 

“Ah~ Does mommy know them?”

 

“Mhmm. She's even friends with them.”

 

“Okay!”

 

She turns back to face the boys walking back on her tracks to get her shoes, her hold on the cat never leaving.

 

“Ready?”

 

“Yes!”

 

“Okay, then let's go!”

 

 

 

 

It was a really long day and it was finally over.

 

As promised, Jinni was able to stay quiet, keeping herself busy with Dadoong while the others were frantically running around through their packed schedules. Despite this small detail, Byunghee never failed to make Jinni feel comfortable and even making her laugh at a couple of his tricks. Before he knew it, in just a short amount of time, she grew attached to the man.

 

The bond between daughter and father was only getting stronger as it started the moment the little girl laid her eyes on the man just two days ago.

 

Their last schedule for the day was their live performance on a music show.

 

The members were getting prepared while Jinni was patiently sitting on the couch, the cat on her lap softly him while she was looking at the people hurriedly walking in and out of the room as well as walking around the boys, make up and clothes in their hands.

 

She was in pure amazement at her sight but once she got to see her father on stage from the TV of MBLAQ's waiting room, her eyes were completely glued on the screen.

 

Despite having the five boys on stage, her eyes were only on him. The feeling of exhaustion faded away and was replaced by excitement seeing the lights shining on him, and before she knew it, the lights went off meaning that their performance was already over.

 

She pouts, slightly disappointed and looks back down on the cat that was peacefully sleeping on her lap.

 

The boys walked back in the waiting room and started to change while Byunghee went to the couch, sitting next to Jinni. She looks up at him, her cheeks puffed out with a tiny frown showing her disappointment which confused Byunghee.

 

“What's wrong Jinni? Did you not like our performance?”

 

“It was too short.”

 

“Ah~ Sorry, but don't worry, there's a lot more to come.”

 

“Will I get to see them?”

 

“If your mother allows it, then yes.”

 

 

 

 

They were on the way back to the dorms and Jinni was sitting on Byunghee's lap, both of them asleep.

 

As for the other members, they were still quite awake.

 

Since Byunghee was sitting in the back of the van, the others were observing him along with his daughter. Some were expressing their worries while others were expressing their fondness for the sudden bond between the little kid and her father.

 

They understood why Hannah did what she did and they couldn't blame her thinking that they would have probably done the same if they found themselves in her shoes.

 

The low voices of his friends woke the father up. He carefully moved in his seat as to not wake Jinni up. As he did so, what happened next created the warmest smile on his tired face.

 

“Daddy is my star… Daddy is… Byunghee-shi.”

 

And before they reached Hannah's house, Jinni became Daddy's Little Girl.

 

 

 

gray-stars-md.pnggray-stars-md.pnggray-stars-md.png

 

 

~A/N~