--- 01

Beautiful

Lazy Sundays were the best. She could cuddle all day long in bed and not think about anything else. The only sounds slightly disturbing her were birds singing and occasional vehicles passing by. The fresh sheets, the soft pillow, the warm blanket wrapped around her body... all invited her to the deepest slumber of the month; a soundless, dreamless sleep where she could rest entirelly and not think about what problems life posed. Her arms stretched forward and she wished not to open her eyes; not yet.

Yes, lazy Sundays were the best.

Except it was Monday.

The sudden smell of smoke woke Chaerin faster than a shot of coffee. She turned her head around, not sure where the source of her distress came from. Half-asleep, she tried to get off bed with the blanket acting as a little prick and pulling her back. Chaerin almost embraced the floor if not for her reflexes. She cursed the living thing of the blanket and untied it from around her ankle. The smell became stronger as she ran out of the bedroom and down the hallway. She watched in horror as her kitchen had been taken hostage.

“What are you doing!” she exclaimed while rushing to the stove. She switched the heat on low and grabbed one towel. The frying pan immediately found its way to the kitchen sink where cold water poured on top of the burnt food.

“I was hungry...” the kid protested and followed Chaerin as she continued to curse out loud and wondered how she could get rid of the stains. Not in the mood to be her victim, the wrongdoer pulled a chair from the table, climbed on top of it and stood there in silence like the innocent child he was. Chaerin threw the food in the garbage and left the damaged skillet in the sink. She ruffled her hair in annoyance and turned to the kid. Her hands were placed firmly over her waist and her eyes promised pain.

Dae-Hyun gulped and almost hid under the table. He knew she was just worried and that he shouldn't play with fire, but he couldn’t shake off the ill sensation his mother was sending.

“Where’s your father?” the blonde’s menacing tone came out softer than expected. Dae-Hyun sneered. He dodged a bullet.

“I don’t know!” he proudly announced and felt relief wash him over.

Speaking of the Devil, the front door opened loudly and a man’s groan could be heard. Chaerin stormed there. Dae-Hyun jumped from the chair and followed suit. He had to see that; Byung Hee could be so silly sometimes. What came before them was a bending man that took his shoes off. Plastic bags were scattered all around the entrance. Byung Hee took them up and was startled by the two when he saw them.

“Oh... hello.” he gave Chaerin a sheepish smile and went forward for a morning kiss. She pushed him away and took the bags from his hands. She abandoned them against the wall.

“Where have you been?” she snapped and took Byung Hee aback. Dae-Hyun searched through the bags and found a small pack of shrimp flavored chips. He stole it and left for the kitchen to enjoy them while the two adults settled their differences. The crunchy sound and delicious bites made him the happiest child on the block.

“Grocery shopping.” Byung Hee simply stated with a dumbfounded look. It wasn’t until he checked his watch that everything came into place. “Wait, aren’t you supposed to be ready by now?” He pushed his feet inside a pair of slippers and approached Chaerin. His palms grasped at her head and he planted a kiss over her forehead. Strands of blonde hair parted between his fingers. Chaerin tried hard not to shout at him. She knew Byung Hee left while the sun barely shone upon the land and hadn’t let their child starve on purpose. His thumb pressed over Chaerin’s cheek as he kissed her lips. That way, she couldn’t protest.

Two years have passed since Byung Hee returned from the army. With a scar reminiscent of his struggles and an absent Chaerin, he vowed to put the pieces back together. It never occurred to him that Chaerin might have left for a reason that made Byung Hee feel guilty the entire time. Sometimes, when Chaerin was silently breathing on his chest, he pulled her closer and counted dots on the ceiling. He wasn’t there when she needed him most, when she remained pregnant, when she gave birth, when she had to raise a child. He wasn’t there to comfort her, to help her, to just be by her side and let her know she’s not alone. Chaerin on the other hand lived on with the fear of losing the child, of never being a good mother, of never seeing Byung Hee again or of him rejecting her once he knew the truth. Her father passed away because of military duty. She didn’t want past mistakes to be repeated. Fortunately, Dae-Hyun stuck them together like honey: sweetly.

“Can we have a puppy?” the kid’s voice interrupted them. Both looked at him and opened their mouths at the same time.

“No!” Dae-Hyun sighed and went to his room with the invisible tail wiggling between his legs. Of course he had no chance of winning. But he was happy to know that they were a family and that was all that mattered at the moment.

Well, there was also Chaerin’s comeback under the spotlight.

“Yeah, I should...” She answered Byung Hee after Dae-Hyun disappeared around the corner. The man let go of her head and hugged her. His hands soothed her with soft touches over her back and small kisses over her temple.

“I’m proud of my Rin~” he chuckled at her ear and made the blonde punch him over the chest. She took a hold of the heavy bags and left to clean after Dae-Hyun and to make a proper meal. Byung Hee checked his watch again and frowned. “Wait, I’ll handle this. You go take a shower.” He stated and snitched the bags from Chaerin’s hands.

She was too nervous to talk anymore and waved her hands in defeat.  

It was the start of a long week.