One.

Wish Granted

 “You ranked second? That's great. I'm proud of you.” Jin walked besides his little sister while walking out of the school doors.

 

Hyemi scoffed, “I don't need your praise.”

 

Jin stopped his footsteps. He watched his sister walk with a tired movement. Her hair had turned messy from the constant studying and bangs had soon formed under her eyes. Even after studying so hard, Hyemi never received the glory she wanted. Instead she only received the stress from it all.

 

“Hyemi!”

 

She froze in her place. Closing her eyes for a second and taking a deep breath. All she wanted to do was crawl in her bed and make up for the time she's lost. Opening her eyes, she stared into the person's eyes, “What do you want Jimin.” Her voice lifeless and dry.

 

He smiled, “I saw you had ranked second again.”

 

Hyemi gritted her teeth, “Are you here to show off because I could really use someone to punch right now.”

 

The smile on his face disappeared, “No. I just, I just thought maybe next time I could help you study. Since you know, I ranked first.”

 

“I don't need your help. I don't need anybody's help. I can do it on my own. Stop bothering me every time you see that I'm second. It only makes me hate you more.”

 

“I'm sorry.”

 

Hyemi laughed, “Sorry.”

 

Jin grabbed her shoulder, pulling her back. He muttered an apology on behalf of Hyemi and dragged her out of the school gates. Upon arriving home, Hyemi tiredly trailed her feet to her room. She dropped her bag, took off her school blazer, and fell onto her bed. An hour passed before Hyemi heard the voice of her brother calling for dinner. Dragging her feet to the kitchen, she felt lifeless as she sat down.

 

“So.” Hyemi's mother smiled at the two, “What were your ranks in class today.”

 

Hyemi paused just before putting the spoon in . Her eyes staring down at the food. Quickly her appetite had disappeared.

 

Nonchalantly Jin answered, “First.”

 

Both mother and father smiled, praising him for his intelligence. Their mother turned to Hyemi, “And you?”

 

“S-Second.”

 

“Ah.” Hyemi's mother nodded, “Maybe next time. Try studying harder.”

 

“Harder?” Hyemi retaliated, tossing the spoon on her plate, “Haven't I tried enough? I skipped meals, I never slept, I barely socialize, and all I get is a try studying harder.”

 

“Honey it's all right. Placing second just shows that you're doing something wrong.”

 

“Am I not perfect enough? Am I not like Jin, is that why. Sure he gets perfect grades every time and ranks first at everything but at least I try my hardest.”

 

Hyemi's mother set down her utensils, “Why do you insist on always comparing yourself to Jin.”

 

“Because you always do! You always ask me why I'm not like Jin! It's always Jin this Jin that!”

 

Her mother slammed her fist on the table, “Don't raise your voice in this house young lady! You may be my daughter but I will not tolerate any more of this yelling. If you really want to rank first then maybe you should study more harder.”

 

Hyemi stood up, “I hate you. I wish I was never born!”

 

Escaping her room, she ignored the screams of her mother and slammed the door shut loudly. Hyemi stood, taking in a deep breath with a tear falling from her eye.

 

Hyemi's eyes slowly opened. Hearing the doorbell ringing continuously. Pulling herself out of bed, she yawned as she exited her room quietly. Hyemi noticed neither Jin or her parents were even waking up from the constant ringing doorbell. Turning on the lights of the house, Hyemi unlocked the door to find a man standing alone.

 

“Hello, I'm looking for Kim Hyemi.”

 

Hyemi stared suspiciously at the man, “Um..I'm Hyemi.”

 

Stepping inside the home, he examined the place before turning towards her, “Let me introduce myself. I am V. A wish demon that can grant any wish anyone wants with a snap of a finger. A few hours ago, while I granting a man his wish, I heard a desperate cry of a wish.” V pointed to her, “You made a wish didn't you.”

 

Hyemi blinked at him for a second and scoffed, “You're kidding me right. Are you trying to scam me. Do you think I'd fall for such a stupid joke.”

 

V glared at her, “Of course. There's always people like you. Don't believe me, make a wish.”

 

Hyemi crossed her arms and rolled her eyes, “Fine.” Hyemi thought for a moment before looking outside, “I wish it was raining.”

 

V snapped his fingers, “Done.”

 

Hyemi looked outside, “I don't see any rain.”

 

“Just wait.”

 

Before she knew it, a drop of rain fell onto the window which turned into downpour.

 

V noticed her bewildered expression and wondered how many times he's seen that now. V walked to the living room, taking a seat on one of the couches, “So, I believe there was a wish that needed granting.”

 

Hyemi eyed him, “But I didn't mean my wish. I just said it because I was mad.”

 

“Mad is what triggers a wish. Let me guess, your parent's completely don't care how much you do. They compare you to someone else all the time and you hate it. So you try to be better than that person but you just can't. And in the end, you just find yourself meaning nothing to them.” V could feel the anger boiling in her. V smirked, “Don't you wish you didn't have to go through it. To stop fighting with them because you know you're never gonna win.” V stood up, walking towards her, “Don't you wish for it to all stop. If I was in your position I would.”

 

Hyemi clenched her fist, “And if I make a wish.”

 

“Of course I'll grant it but it comes with a price.”

 

“Price?”

 

“Your soul. You make a wish, I grant it, I take your soul, and you never have to see me again.”

 

“And if I don't.”

 

V touched a strand of her hair, making her flinch, “I'll follow you. Everywhere you go, I'll be there. Everything you do, I be standing right next to you. Because I know you're gonna make that wish. I may have been late this time but I'll have my chance again.”

 

Hyemi turned to look at him but he disappeared. She looked in every direction but he never showed. Hyemi crawled back in her bed and rubbed her eyes. She believed it was a dream and that she had been sleep walking. Just as her eyes were about to close, a voice passed through her head.

 

“Your wish is my command.”