The Beginning

5 YEARS OF LOVE

"Your little wings are soaring towards me…

I see you waving your hands, telling me to come by your side,

That pitiful gaze, that story is too vague.

 

On that evening it blew in my heart, which now guards it…

I kept thinking about how cute you looked, so mesmerized by you,

That even my soul cares for you.

 

It’s like being drunk; I’ve even forgotten how to breathe…

If this is love, I’m willing to travel far away with you…

 

Shining tears, I cannot bear to see you get hurt…

Even one second, or eternity will do. I’m sure of this path.

 

So baby don’t go,

Bring me to the place where you are, staying together forever…

We will fly together to the center of the earth,

Follow me and you won’t get lost or go missing…

Just like the you in my dreams, you are my life, that beautiful butterfly…”

 

(5 years later…)

 

She looked towards the blue sky as soon as she stepped out. The weather was over-whelming; the sky was clear without any sign of grey clouds. The cold and light breeze escaped gently on her side, making her shiver in excitement.

May had finally arrived in Seoul.

How long had been since she last came here? As long as she remembered, it had been more than 5 years. She was happy that she had finally arrived in her home-land after such a long time. The best part of it all was that it almost seemed like Seoul was welcoming her.

May smiled as she tightly tucked onto her bag and stepped out of the airport. She was here on a student exchange program. The other students were going to stay in hotels or in apartments, but she already had someone here who she knew well: Grace. Grace herself had been pursuing her masters’ degree in Psychology here in Seoul.

She smiled as soon as she saw a familiar figure.

“Unni!” she waved her hands high up in the air. They always talked to each other via video chat. But meeting her after such a long time was over-whelming in many ways.

Grace smiled as soon as she saw her. She went rushing towards her.

The two friends hugged each other tightly. They had missed each other for a really long time now.

“You’ve been well, right?” Grace asked as she patted on the younger’s head lightly.

May smiled and nodded her head, “Yes, of course. Unni, I missed you so much!” she smiled and hugged her once more.

Grace chuckled, “Alright, alright… no need to get more emotional. The taxi’s waiting for us.” she was really happy to meet her after such a long time.

May chuckled as she got her bags. The driver came out of the cab and helped her out with all the bags as he put it inside the back of the car.

“Seoul has changed a lot, don’t you think?” May said as she looked out of the window. Every time she would visit Seoul, it was like reviving those old memories of her mother.

Grace nodded her head, “It has changed a lot these past 5 years.” She said and looked out of the window herself. She had been staying in Seoul for almost a year now, and she was so used to this place that it almost seemed like she was a Korean citizen herself.

“I really hope you live in a good apartment, unni. I really need a good sleep.” may sighed as she leant back on the seat and closed her eyes. The long flight from Washington to Korea was really tiring… she was not only here for her studies. She was here for another reason too…

“Don’t worry,” Grace chuckled and patted on her head, “my apartment might be the cheapest, but it’s totally worth it!” she said and gave her a thumb up. She felt a bit worried too… as much as she knew her; she knew that she had another reason for coming here too…

May closed her eyes slowly…

 

“Wake up, May! We’re here already!” Grace shook her body, but she was literally refusing to get up. She was not planning to sleep the whole night inside a taxi, was she?

“What…?” may rubbed her eyes like a small kid. She was having the best dream of her life. Well, if eating donuts in a farm full of candies counted like a dream, then she sure was having the best ‘dream’.

Grace crossed her arms over her chest and looked at May, “Get up! We’ve reached my apartment. You’re not planning to sleep inside a taxi, are you?”

May quickly realized what she was doing and got up. The driver was giving them serious judging look. This was the most embarrassment moment in her life.

“Jeongmal jongsonganmida!!”  May apologized again and again to cover her stupidity.

Grace sighed and took one of her bags, “Follow me..” she said.

But May wouldn’t move. She was continuously bowing her head and saying ‘sorry’. She did that until the taxi was nowhere out of sight.

“That was so stupid of me! Why am I so stupid!?” she ruffled her hair and cursed herself.

Grace chuckled and looked at her, “Tell me something I don’t know. Now c’mon, get your bags. I live in the third floor. Since the lift’s not working, we’ll have to use the stairs.”

“What?” May literally broke down as soon as she heard that, “I have to climb up the stairs now!?”

Her unni looked at her and tried not to laugh, “Wow… you’re getting old day by day. You take your pills, right?” she and went inside the building.

May flumped her shoulders and groaned in frustration as she quickly followed her unni, “Unni! Wait!” she said and picked up her remaining bags. They sure were really heavy. What was she doing with all these stuffs anyway?

“Are you coming or not?” Grace turned back and looked at May who looked so tiny with all those bags around her.

“I’m trying not to fall… unni, you go ahead. I’ll catch up with you later.” May said and took small and slow steps, afraid that she was gonna fall any moment.

Grace shook her head and sighed, “She hasn’t changed a bit…” she said to herself and climbed up the stairs slowly.

 

                                                                               “No matter where you are, no matter where you’re going…

You are always around me, fluttering your eye-lashes at me,

 

There may be bends along the road, but do not panic…

Because of love, I do not need to worry about anything,

 

Please look at me, do not avoid my love.

 

Oh, I have always remembered your beauty…

Love secretly came without any fore-warning,

Love is currently progressing, preparing to set out...

 

Your memories, and even the future, will be filled with my foot-prints…

Hidden in my mind, feeling incredibly happy, becoming love’s password.

 

So baby don’t go,

Bring me to the place where you are, staying together forever…

We will fly together to the center of the earth,

You’re in my sight, with nowhere else to fly…

Follow me and you won’t get lost or go missing…

Just like the you in my dreams, you are my life, that beautiful butterfly…”

 

"Where did you get it from?"

“Remember that time when we went to Australia? I bought it from there…”

“You really love it, don’t you?”

“Of course, it was the latest they had! How could I not buy it?”

“By the way… who bought it for you?”

“Oh… Manager hyung…”

“Really? He agreed to it?”

“Yeah! Want me to tell you the whole story?”

“Yeah!”

Tao and Xiumin were talking about how Tao made their manager hyung buy him the latest edition of Gucci’s handbags in Australia. Though this particular conversation might sound pretty weird to many people, it was like any other day for them.

Kris sighed as soon as he crossed the two idiots. They looked so goofily happy, as though they were some 5 years olds who were offered free candy for a whole year. He shook his head, ignored them, and proceeded towards the kitchen where Lay was busy making them tea.

“Seriously, Lay… you are so jobless.” Kris chuckled as he sat on the kitchen counter. He picked up an apple from the basket, wiped it with his shirt, and then took a big bite from it.

Lay obviously didn’t hear anything Kris said since he was so busy, “Kris… sitting on the kitchen counter and eating something is a bad habit.”

Kris chuckled and pretended to ignore that, “This apple’s so red! It’s really tasty!”

Lay gave up and sighed. Sometimes he really wished that someone more sensible was made their leader, “Fine. Do whatever you want to. Just make sure to clean up after you finish eating, okay?” he said and gave Kris a tired look.

The other nodded his head, “Sheesh… you complain like a mother, Yixing.” He said and took another big bite from the apple.

Lay smiled and filled the cups with tea, “Someone’s got to be responsible, you know.” He said and went out of the kitchen to serve everyone. Seriously, the one thing other than dance that Lay knew best would be cooking and… taking care of the other five idiots.

“Hey Kris hyung!” Chen waved towards Kris as soon as he came out of the washroom with the towel wrapped around his head as though his hair were really long.

Kris turned back and looked at him, “Nae?” he spoke through his mouth filled with juicy apple flesh.

Chen shrugged his shoulders and pointed towards the washroom, “You should get the hot water tap fixed. Blood came out of it instead of hot water.”

Kris almost fell down as soon as he heard it. He quickly got up and went rushing towards Chen with a concerned look, “What, really? Are you okay?”

Chen smirked and patted on Kris’ shoulder, “We’ve been living in the same dorm for almost six years now, hyung. You still fall for my pranks?”

Kris quickly took back his hand and gave Chen a life-threatening look, “This.Was.So.Not.Funny.Kim.Jong.Dae.” he gritted through his teeth.

A cold shiver went down Chen’s spine as soon as Kris said that…

 

“HYUNG!! I TOLD YOU I’M SORRY!” Chen shouted at the top of his lungs and hid behind their giant sofa. He was afraid that Kris might grill him alive any moment now.

“KIM JONGDAE! YOU COME HERE, RIGHT NOW!!” Kris shouted threateningly at the poor soul.

But it was Chen’s fault too… he shouldn’t have done that to Kris… Tao and Xiumin were busy playing trump cards. Lay was busy cleaning their kitchen… it was just another typical day for the, nothing new though.

“What’s with all this noise?” a small voice came from an opposite direction. Everyone turned their heads to look at that person.

Luhan rubbed his eyes like a small kid and yawned tiredly.

Lay quickly got up from his place and give Kris and Chen a life threatening look. And Kris knew that he wouldn’t want to anger the real ‘boss’ here, i.e., Lay.

“Luhan, how are you? Are you feeling any better?” Lay went towards his hyung and out his hand on his fore-head, looking as worried as always.

Luhan was running with a high fever last night. It rained a lot yesterday, and they were performing in an open stadium too. That’s why Luhan caught the fever.

Luhan smiled and looked at Lay, “I’m fine now, thanks.”

Lay led out a sigh of relief, “Have some tea… it might make you feel better.”

Luhan nodded his head and went towards the sofa to sit there. Before Lay could go towards the kitchen and bring him some tea, he stopped upon Chen and Kris.

“No dinner for you two today.” he said under his breath.

The two idiots groaned and pouted in frustration. But it was no help arguing with Lay either; when he said something, he would really mean it.

Luhan silently went towards the window and looked at the sky… the sky was blue and it looked awfully calm unlike yesterday… it was as though something good was going to happen today. He knew that it was all his imagination, but he got a really… calm feeling inside looking at the sky.

It’s been 5 years now. He sighed and looked down towards his neck where that pendant used to be.

 

“Standing in the streets, it’s a strange but familiar feeling…

Even if I wander through strange places, even if I get lost,

 

I will follow my heart because you’re my home…

Just like the wind, following you everywhere you roam,

Sticking to the wind, following your route…

 

I believe that love is in my hands.

 

So baby, don’t go.

Bring me to the place where you are, staying together forever…

We will be travelling to the end of the world together, so don’t go.

You’re in my sight, never flying away.

Follow me and you’ll never get lost or go missing.

Just like the beautiful you in my dreams…

You are my life, that beautiful butterfly.”

 

“I’m telling you, this is not right!” Baekhyun shouted at the top of his lungs to get Chanyeol’s attention. He was trying to explain the rules of the game ‘Sudoku’, but he knew that Chanyeol would never get it no matter how much he tried.

“Yah! You just have to fill in certain numbers!” Chanyeol whacked Baekhyun lightly on his arm. He took the paper from his hand and wrote a ‘ten’ on one of the boxes, “there! I wrote a ten! I get extra points for it, right?”

Baekhyun groaned and gave up as he stood up from his place, “Teaching Park Chanyeol Sudoku is the most impossible thing ever!” he said and went towards the kitchen.

Chanyeol chuckled as he looked at the paper, “What’s so great about this game?” he scratched the back of his neck. It was more than confusing to him…

“Why were you shouting so much?” Suho asked as soon as Baekhyun entered the kitchen. He was trying to hold in his laughter.

Baekhyun led out a deep sigh and looked at Chanyeol’s direction, “That guy over there… I’m afraid about his future! If he acts so dumb then how will he ever get married!?” he crossed his arms over his shoulder and shook his head.

Suho chuckled and patted on his back, “You can always count on him, you know. He’s not that dumb.”

“Yeah, right.” he scoffed and took out a bottle from the fridge, “anyways… any news about that girl?”

Suho tried to hide his red face as soon as he mentioned her. He shook his head and turned towards the other direction, “No… I have been trying to find her. But it seems like she moved to some other place, though I don’t know where.”

It was true. Suho was trying to find the girl he had fallen in love with 5 years ago. He had tried everything. But the only thing he ever found out was her name. Grace.

Baekhyun was the only who knew about it.

“Hyung,” the younger put a hand on his shoulder and smiled encouragingly, “don’t worry. Just keep having faith. I’m sure… you’ll meet her someday.”

Suho gave him a tired smile and nodded his head, “We believe in so many things, Baekhyun-ah. And sometimes it’s even hard to keep that belief going…” he said and went towards his room.

As soon as he entered, he went towards his bed and sat down. Suho looked at the finger where his ring was used to be once and led out a deep sigh, “I have been trying to find you… where are you?”

For some reason though, he needed to keep having that faith.

It was what kept him going on all these past years.