Sin

Sin

 

       I see the tall red oak doors open and everyone stands in their seat, turning toward them. We all wait with bated breath for the bride.

       She appears in the doorway in a miraculously beautiful dress and I smile widely. She looks mesmerizing as always. The music is playing and she slows her excited pace to match both the piano and her father's step. As she comes closer to where I am, she turns toward me and smiles reassuringly. I smile back, hiding the pain to savor that moment.

       She stops in front of the groom and her overprotective father reluctantly hands her over. The groom very slightly bows to his new father-in-law and turns toward her, brushing some stray hairs away from her face. His eyes move around her face like she's a magical creature he can only see once in his lifetime.

       Her eyes twinkle with love, and it breaks my heart to know that it isn't love directed toward me, but toward the man standing across from her.

       Kwon Jiyong. Who wouldn't love him? He's fashionable, talented, kind, handsome, passionate, considerate, loving. He's perfect. But Dara had always told me I was special to her. Very special. And I was irreplaceable. But when Kwon Jiyong came into her life, did she throw all that away? Did she forget the promises she made?

       I sit in my seat, watching as they stare into each other's eyes and get lost in their own world full of a love I don't understand. My eyes fall down to their entwined fingers in disappointment. I see Jiyong squeeze her hands firmly as he lets out a breathless "I do."

       Dara's smile is impossibly wide as she squeezes back, saying her own "I do" loudly and clearly. Jiyong lets out a sigh of relief, somehow unsure if she would say yes. They gingerly take their rings and put them on with shaky, excited fingers. When they both look up again, my heart breaks into a million pieces.

       That look on her face is one I've never seen before, but I know what it means nevertheless. She wants to spend the rest of her life with him and he wants to spend the rest of his life with her. It's clear on their faces and in their eyes, and I can almost feel it watching them kiss. The kiss is gentle, yet full of passion. Short, yet enough to convey a thousand emotions.

       I clutch my white shirt, recreating old wrinkles that were ironed out just this morning. Tears begin threatening to spill and I feel like the breath has been knocked out of me. Reality hits me straight in the chest.

       I'll never have her the way I want. She's being given away to another man, and I'm watching as it happens. I have no right to interfere anymore.

       My heart feels emptier than it ever has before.

 

 

 

 

       The ceremony ends in a blur and somehow I'm on a boat, in the middle of the hustle and bustle that is the wedding reception. People are walking past me, raising their glasses, and I just robotically raise mine, thanking them and taking a sip.

       "Congratulations." I turn when I feel a firm hand pat me on the shoulder. Surprisingly, I'm greeted by the groom's best man, Dong Youngbae. An acquaintance, nothing more.

       "What are you congratulating me for? It's not my wedding," I laugh in reply.

       "Well you're so close to Dara, it might as well just be you getting married," Youngbae jokes, patting me on the back once more before turning to greet two strangers I've never seen before.

       I blindly make my way around the boat, looking for nothing in particular. It doesn't take long to stumble upon the real party. There's a giant crowd and an overwhelming amount of flashing. Cameras are everywhere, not surprising to me, knowing how breathtaking her beauty is. I decide I should probably go see her, maybe take a couple of pictures before the pain becomes so overwhelming that I can't look at her. I push through the throng of strangers.

       Dara sees me and her face lights up. The happiness is so evident on her face, and I can't help but smile lightly. They're taking wedding pictures, but of course Dara refuses to take normal ones. She keeps on doing crazy poses and pulling crazy faces. The crowd laughs with Jiyong when Dara does her playful glare, paired with a stick out of the tongue. Her 'mehrong selca face', she calls it. After taking a few more pictures alone with Jiyong, Dara turns to me.

       "Sanghyunnie! Come here and take a picture!" she calls me over excitedly. I just shake my head and quietly decline.

       "Oh come on, Dog Poopie. You're my little brother! Of course you need to be in your sister's wedding picture. Come on!" I sigh in defeat and silently make my way next to her. We all smile at the camera and adorable Dara quickly puts up a peace sign before the camera flashes. We all laugh but I say nothing out of fear that I'll lose control of my tongue once I let it free. And I can't have that.

       Because the one I love is loved by another. And it's a sin for me to love her as well.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Author's Note:
PLEASE DO NOT SPOIL THE END IN THE COMMENTS!
Thank you.