Chapter 4

Ace of Heartbreak

"So as you see, Mr. Park, my friend Jongin needs a job here to make an actual living for himself and not always relying on his uncle." Kyungsoo explained, sitting beside Kai in front of the boss of Park Industries. "He has full potential an-"

"Stop right there, Kyungsoo." Mr. Park cut off his sentence and faced Kai, leaning back in his chair while pushing up his glasses. "It's best if I hear it from the actual person looking for employment at my company." He cleared his throat and began to speak to Kai. "What brings you here, Kim Jongin?"

Kai bowed his head respectfully and gave a short reply. "I am here to look for employment, Sir."

Mr. Park leaned foreword and brought himself closer to the desk. "And why do you wish to employ yourself here?"

"Because it is the only way I can take the burden of sending me money away from my uncle."

Satisfied with Kai's answer, Mr. Park nodded. "Anything else you're doing this for?"

"So I can manage to live on my own and rely on myself instead of other people."

Mr. Park raised an eyebrow. "Continue?"

Kai looked up at the boss and breathed in. "For my whole life I've basically been living off the generosity of my friends and family, including Kyungsoo. I haven't made any real commitments to myself and I wish to change that for the better."

When Kai finishedd speaking, Mr. Park stood up with an expressionless face and spoke, "Do Kyungsoo," He paused for a second and turned to face him, "Show Jongin around my company and make sure you explain everything in full detail to him. He will be working as your assistant for now in the office. You are now dismissed." Mr. Park finished with a small smile.

Before leaving, Kyungsoo bowed. "Thank you, Mr. Park. This means a lot for both Jongin and I." Mr. Park chuckled and waved it off.

"How many times have I told you to just call me Chanyeol? Now get out of here." Chanyeol said jokingly as Kyungsoo bowed again and followed Jongin out the door.

Chanyeol shook his head and giggled with his arms crossed. "Kyungsoo is one hell of an employee."

 

"I don't even know how I got accepted so quickly." Kai scratched his head still confused about that whole situation while walking to Kyungsoo's office. "And how come you never told me you work in one of the head offices? This place is so freaking huge! You must be so successful."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "I'm not that successful. I'm still the same old Do Kyungsoo." Kai cracked a smile and pulled an arm over his hyung's shoulder.

"I know you are. That's why you're my best friend. You'll never change for anything or anyone."

When Kai said those words, Kyungsoo felt both happy and hurt. The fact that his crush only saw him as a friend was devestating enough, and now he's working together with the one he can never be with. But the way Kai said those words made Kyungsoo see a bit of hope in himself. So he took this as an opportunity to take.

"I had to get through a whole bunch of promotions to reach where I am in this company." Kyungsoo scratched his head. "Mr. Park must really seem to have a liking to you already."

Kai chuckled and flicked his hair. "I can make any straight man gay with my looks. Aren't I just the hottest?" Kai said jokingly as he pretended to dust off his shoulder.

Kyungoo wanted to answer a massive 'yes' to his question but he covered the urge to and rolled his eyes. "Shut up, man. We have to get to work."

Kai pouted as he watched Kyungsoo sit down on a nice, leather chair. He turned around, looking for a chair he could use around the office room. Kyungsoo noticed Kai's head frantically turning in different directions, realising what he was looking for. He got up from his chair and patted the spot where he sat on before walking out of the room to go find a new chair.

With a smile, Kai sat down on the chair and started spinning on the chair, acting like he was having the time of his life. He stopped spinning and closed his eyes from being too dizzy. When he opened his eyes again, he looked at the desk in front of him and he felt something warm forming in his heart.

Kyungsoo's desktop wallpaper was of him and Kai, eating ice cream at the park with some smothered on their faces. As he was staring at the photo, a folder on the side of screen caught his eye; 'Pics with the one and only.'

Out of the curiousity, he rolled the chair foreword and reached the computer mouse, clicking on the virtual folder. When it opened, it showed a whole bunch of happy and sad pictures of both him and Kyungsoo, doing whatever you could in a photo. Posing, eating, making faces, and graduation photos.

As he eyed the little album, a picture caught his attention as he enlarged it. It was a photo of Kai sleeping and Kyungsoo was beside him, kissing the corner of his lips. He didn't know what to say. He was too shocked to even close the photo.

But what Kai didn't know was whether he thought it was weird or if he thought it was cute.

When he heard the office door open, he quickly closed the photo and the folder, acting like nothing ever happened.  He watched as Kyungsoo rolled in another leather chair and sat down in it beside Kai. "It took me ages but I actually found a chair." The older one chuckled as he looked at Kai. "Better get to work then, don't you think?"

All Kai did was nod as he pursed his lips together. "Yeah, we should."  

 

It was the end of their work shift and Kai really wanted to get out of the building before anything got awkward. Everytime Kyungsoo would take a glance at him, a shade of rosey pink would appear upon his cheeks and he would always shake it off.

"Come on before I lock you in here." Kyungsoo said jokingly as he gestured Kai to come out of the office room. Kai obliged as he watched Kyungsoo lock the door behind him once he stepped out. The younger one continued to walk and started heading towards the stairs.

"Kai, aren't you going to take the elevator?"

He looked to see Kyungsoo walking towards him with a slightly worried and confused face. Worried because Kai never walk off while Kyungsoo was with him, and confused because Kai hated stairs so much.

"No...I feel like taking the stairs today. What if the elevator suddenly get's jammed? Better safe than sorry." Kai shrugged it off as he started heading down stairs as fast as he could, leaving Kyungsoo to follow his every step.

When he was about to take his last step, Kyungsoo grabbed Kai by the shoulder, turning him around. "Are you alright? Since when did you ever want to leave without me?" Kyungsoo tilted his head to the side, still oblivious to what the younger one has seen.

Kai sighed and looked at Kyungsoo, his eyes still very worried. "I-I'm just not feeling well right now. I guess work already made me tired..." He lied, thinking that Kyungsoo would believe it like the girls he broke the hearts of did. But one thing was for sure, that this was the first time Kai actually lied to his best friend.

Kai didn't blame himself for it, but it made him feel sick in the worst way possible. His lips trembled as Kyungsoo stared bullets right through his eyes, as if he could read his thoughts and see his soul. He remembered the picture as if it happened just a few minutes ago. He swore that he could feel that day repeating in his mind, imagining what it would actually feel like to have Kyungsoo's lips on his own.

A slight feeling of butterflies filling up Kai's stomach appeared as he started to feel his heart race faster and faster by the second at that thought.

The older one then dropped the hand that was on Kai's shoulder down by his side.

"Kyungsoo, I-I need to go."

Once that was said, Kai ran out of the building and headed home without looking back.

"Why did I feel that way when remembering a stupid photo?"

 

 

 

 

Author's Note:

Hai guize 8D

You like the first 4 chappies so far right? I know I know...it's amazing :') /slapped/

So I decided to make another little EXO OTP fic called Change of Plans starring the beautiful, Baekyeol <3

For now, I present to you....some KaiSoo c:

 /dies/