Chapter 3

Ace of Heartbreak

"I want you back, Kai oppa." 

Here goes another one of Kai's ex-girlfriend's wanting him back. He's seen this too many times before. 

"I've already moved on, Dabin-ah. I have a girlfriend. It's best if you just forget about me." 

As usual, his smooth talking and expressionless face would leave the girl heartbroken. She felt that what he was saying was true so she just left him, crying her poor little heart out. 

Little did that girl know that Kai broke up with Miyoung days ago. 

 

 

While he was walking home, Kai decided to stop by somewhere. He slightly grinned to himself and turned the other direction, moving towards his destination. Just by the way he was walking, anyone could tell that he was in a good mood. The way his head tilted upwards to see the sky, the way his hands just rested in his pockets; that was a happy Kai. 

When he reached the little apartment block, he opened the door and to his surprise, the person whom he was going to see was standing before him. Kai eyed the person and saw that he was dressed nicer than he usually would, wearing his supposedly lucky satchel over his broad shoulder. 

"Leaving so soon, Kyungsoo?" Kai asked him. Kyungsoo smiled, amused at the situation and nodded. 

"Actually, I was on my way to visit you. I have work soon and your place is close to there so I figured that I might as well stop by." He explained as he scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. The younger boy just chuckled at his hyung and patted his shoulder. 

"Well then I guess we should get going to my place then?" Kai said as he wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder and started walking in the direction of his place. 

At that moment, Kyungsoo swore that he could see stars even in broad daylight. 

"Why were you coming to my place?" Kyungsoo asked curiously. Kai looked at his hyung and smiled. 

"Why can't I visit my best friend?" 

Kyungsoo smiled at his friends reply and brought his hand up to ruffle Kai's hair. The younger one chuckled and fixed his hair the way he had it before shoving his hands into his pockets, being yet again, a happy Kai. 

The younger one looked at Kyungsoo as they kept walking. He really did want to see Kyungsoo. Most of the time, Kyungsoo would be the one to stroll over to his house but today was slightly different. There was something in Kai that just made him want to go to see his beloved best friend. 

He just didn't know what it was. 

The walk was silent but to both of them, it felt complete. Being in each other's company was more that words already. Of course, seeming as they're the best of friends would obviously mean that they would do anything for one another in return. 

But Kyungsoo was the only one that Kai had left ever since his parents passed away.

Crying was most definitely the last thing Kai would do. Even when his parents were there, he was still breaking the hearts of girls in his path. From that, he learned how to move on quickly and just learn to accept life how it is. He knew that life had its ups and downs, but to him, his parent's death was just a smooth ride through a scary tunnel full of darkness.  

He always expected the unexpected, and that was just the beginning of his harshly fragile life. 

 

As they walked inside Kai's house, they both sat down on the couch and leaned back, enjoying the welcoming scent of the household. 

"So what time do you have work?" Kai asked his hyung. Kyungsoo checked the time on his watch and shrugged. 

"Still have a bit to go. Work starts in half an hour so I'll probably leave in fifteen minutes." The older one exclaimed as he got up and walked to the kitchen, grabbing himself a glass of water.

"Mmm..." Kai sighed and walked to his little dining room and lifted himself up onto the table so he could sit. "Is your job any fun?" 

Kyungsoo took a sip of water before replying to Kai's question. "If you consider sitting at a desk all day doing nothing but filing papers and organising schedules for my fellow work mates on the stupid desktop I have that is slow as hell..." Kyungsoo placed his glass on the dining table and looked at Kai with a sweet yet sarcastic smile, "Then yes, my job is fun." 

The younger one chuckled at his hyungs response and just leaned back in his chair, folding his arms. "I was wondering," Kai looked at Kyungsoo who was drinking his water, "If I could possibly apply for employment at where you work." 

Kyungsoo swallowed his water hard that it actually hurt his throat and nearly choked. Never in his life had he thought that the 'Ace of Heartbreak' himself, Kim Jongin, would actually be looking for a job. Most of his life, Kai has been living off the rent money that his uncle sends him every month or the money that Kyungsoo gives him out of the generosity. 

"You," The older one pointed at Kai, "Want to apply for a job?" 

With that, Kai nodded and softly smiled. 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath and looked down. "Go and get changed. You're coming with me."