Prisoners

Let's Meet Again

In a hospital, Youngsaeng gazed longingly at the lush green grass and the blue skies. He grabbed a notebook from his table and stealthly, climbed out of the window and landed on the soft grass with his sneakers on, still in his white hospital pajamas. When he saw that the coast was clear, he began to run away towards the prison. This wasn't the first time he had sneaked out of the hospital.

From behind the high fence as he was sweeping, Hyunjoong saw the figure of the boy running towards him. A wide grin grew on his face and he waved, excited to see the boy again. Youngsaeng stopped in front of the fence, catching his breath and ripped a piece of paper out of his notebook, handing it through the fence to Hyunjoong. 

Annyeong Hyunjoongie hyung~ How are you? I'm feeling great! I wish I could talk to you... Too bad I lost my voice but it's okay, we can still communicate like this. It's fun anyways, right? Reading your letters make my heart flutter and my cheeks red. I read them everyday. Don't worry, my dad hasn't found out yet and I'm hiding them well so I don't think he ever will. ^^ Even though it's just a few seconds, I really cherish every moment with you. I love you a lot~

-Youngsaengie~~~

The latter smiled and dug a piece of scrap paper out of his pocket, giving it to Youngsaeng. The boy took it and put it in his pocket, turning back and waving with a smile. Hyunjoong waved back and watched Youngsaeng run away. I wish I could be out there... So free, flying like a bird... Youngsaeng's really lucky. But getting to see him and reading his letters also make my heart beat fast. It's fun being together.

With Youngsaeng's letter, he quickly dashed back into the prison and to his room, adding it to his collection of letters.

 


Youngsaeng climbed up the window and hurriedly plopped back onto the bed, unwraveling the crumpled piece of paper and reading it diligently.

Saengie-ah~ Are you sure you aren't a patient in a hospital? You told me that you like to wear white but seriously, every day? :P Haha~ Ignore what I just said. You're the reason that I continue to live. I love you~ That's all I need to say. I love you. I love you. I love you.

- Hyunjoongie~~~

The boy's heart began to race and he could feel his cheeks heating up as he read the letter. With a childish grin, he brought the piece of paper close to his chest, hugging it tightly as his heart beat fast. From underneath his pillow, he slipped out a bunch of other letters, unfolding them and reading them over and over again happily. Suddenly, he heard a cold voice.

"Youngsaeng, what is that?"

His heart stopped and he looked up, his blood cold. There his father was, glaring at the pieces of paper. The man grabbed the letters and read them, his eyes becoming dark within seconds as he read each and every word. Youngsaeng opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out and could only watch in horror as his father cruelly ripped them into shreds. His eyes widened as the confetti fell to the ground.

"You are not to go visit this boy again! Do you understand me?" the man shouted in fury at his son. "I forbid you from exiting this room! If I catch you with another one of these pieces of trash, I will kill him!"

Tears welled up in Youngsaeng's eyes as his father stormed out of the room. The boy jumped out of the bed and kneeled on the floor, collecting the little pieces of ripped paper into his hands, his tears dripping out uncontrollably. Hyunjoong... I want to see him. I want to see him so badly.

Without the comfort of the letters, Youngsaeng felt tortured. He was afraid to go out and meet Hyunjoong. What if his father actually meant his words? What if he would actually kill Hyunjoong?

 


Hyunjoong looked out the fence and stood at their meeting place with the broom in hand, sweeping absentmindedly. Where's Youngsaeng? He didn't come yesterday or the day before. Did something happen?

"Kim Hyunjoong, it's time to go back to your cell," an officer shouted from the door.

With one last glance, he hurriedly obeyed the officer and trudged into the building, heading ot his prison cell. There, he crouched in the corner again, dusting off all the letters and carefully placing them in a neat place underneath his hard pillow. I want to see Youngsaeng. Where is he?

 


One day, Youngsaeng, in the hospital, could scarcely breath on his own, having a sudden heart attack. The doctors rushed into the room, quickly giving him an oxygen mask and trying to lower his heart rate. Youngsaeng's eyes shut tightly closed in agony, as searing pain shot through his body, his chest heaving as he gasped for air.

"Youngsaeng!!!" his father exclaimed from outside frantically, wanting to go help his son but the nurses and doctors stopped him, forcing him out of the room. "He's my son!!!! Let me go to him!!! YOUNGSAENG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The doctors made him stay on his bed, lying down, for the next few days. As each day passed, the numbers of tubes stuck into him increased. He could barely walk as he could not even feel his legs anymore. The sounds around him grew faint, he could hear almost nothing except the beeping of the oxygen mask machine. I want to see Hyunjoong... So badly, one last time, before I go. Just once more. I want to see him.

He grit his teeth and glanced at the tubes stuck to him, ripping them off in a flash. He put on his sneakers and with his notebook and a pencil, jumped out of the room. His legs were weak and he couldn't land well but he forced himself to continue to the fence.

Hyunjoong gazed out into the open, beyond the fence. Why hasn't he been coming? Did something happen to him?

He saw a figure running and his mouth grew wide, his cheeks rosy. He took out his newly-written letter and prepared to pass it to Youngsaeng at their usual meeting place but he didn't come close enough. He stood a few meters away from the fence with his notebook and pencil. From his notebook, he ripped out a letter he had written and folded it into a paper airplane, throwing it. It flew through the breeze, past the fence, and landed in Hyunjoong's hands.

The latter did the same thing and it also got to Youngsaeng. Hyunjoong unfolded the letter and read it.

Dear Hyunjoongie,

I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. But I'm sorry, this is going to my last visit. I'm going to a place far, far away and am never coming back. Forgive me for this sudden goodbye. But this is farewell. These letters we're sharing together will our last. I don't want to say goodbye either but it's the only way. At least I got to see you one last time before I went. I love you. Please remember that I love you.

-Youngsaengie

The older boy looked at Youngsaeng, eyes wide in shock. Youngsaeng gazed into his eyes and smiled, turning around and beginning to walk away.

"I'll wait for you!!!" Hyunjoong shouted, causing Youngsaeng to freeze. "I'll be waiting for you to come back!!!"

Youngsaeng grit his teeth as tears began to flow down. He wrote in his notebook and then ripped it, quickly folding it into a paper airplane and letting it soar through the wind to Hyunjoong.

Someday.

The older boy smiled when he read it and watched Youngsaeng walk away. When the latter was out of sight, his tears finally fell and he collapsed to the ground, sobbing heavily. His heart hurting badly, his chest aching.

Youngsaeng arrived back at the hospital window and struggled to get back into the room but managed to do it. He collapsed onto his bed and unfolded the letter.

Youngsaengie-ah~ You usually visit almost everyday. Did you fall sick? I'm worried about you. I hope to see you again soon~ To me, you're like a beautiful flower blooming in the middle of a field of weeds. Like a lotus blooming in the middle of a mucky swamp. You shine brightly, brighter than all the stars in the universe. Someday, we will definitely be together. I love you~

-Hyunjoongie~~~

The boy smiled slightly as he quickly put it under his pillow to avoid being caught by his father again. He pulled his blanket up and called a doctor in to tell him that the tubes fell off by themselves.

After that last visit, Youngsaeng couldn't go out again. He could not longer walk and he barely even feel his arms. In one hand, hidden beneath the blanket, he clutched onto the last letter Hyunjoong had given him. He grew weaker and weaker everyday, losing his hearing and his sense of touch and smell. His vision was also blurring and he constantly needed an oxygen mask to support him. Doctors and nurses checked up on him much more frequently, up to once every hour.

 


At the prison, Youngsaeng's father, the General stormed through the corridors and burst into Hyunjoong's room. He saw the boy crouching in a corner, holding a few pieces of paper. He grabbed them from the boy and read them.

"Stop!!!" Hyunjoong yelled frantically. "Stop it!!! Give them back! These are precious to me!!!!!!!!"

The man smirked rottenly. "Precious?" He ripped them all up. Hyunjoong's eyes widened, his pupils dilated and he screamed, his tears trickling down his cheeks as he shot up and punched the General in the face, causing the older man to fall backwards. A few guards restrained the boy and prevented him further doing his actions.

The man's eyes lowered as he held his cheek, his eyes full of anguish. My son loves this boy. And this boy loves him back. It's best if they're together, isn't it?

"Take him to the gas room," he ordered calmly as he stood up.

They threw Hyunjoong in and slammed the door closed. One of the guards turned to the man. "When do we take him out, General Park, sir?"

"When he's dead."

Inside the room, Hyunjoong couldn't help but breathe in gas. Within a few minutes, his legs were already weak and his vision was becoming blurred. He coughed out blood as he banged on the door, tears streaming down his cheeks and he screamed. "Let me out!!!! Please! Let me out of here!!!!!!! I want to see him again! One more time!!!! JUST ONCE!!!!!!"

But nobody came to help him. He slid down the metal door, his legs giving away as he gasped for air, his lungs feeling like they were about to burst. I'm dying... I'm going to die soon... My chest hurts, I can't breathe... Tears began to flow down his cheeks as he curled up in despair. I wanted to see you one last time. I should've asked you to stay. I love you... I love you... I want to say it to you again, one last time, before I go. Just once... Only once...

From the corner of his eye, he noticed something. A piece of paper. He reached out for it, the other hand clutching his heart in agony. His hand shaking, he grabbed it and read it slowly as he felt his consciousness fade.

Someday.

With a warm smile, he brought it close to his body and shut his eyes.

 


Youngsaeng lay on the hospital bed, his breathing becoming extremely faint as he had no energy. The letter slipped out of his hand and fell to the floor. Tears slowly trickled as he closed his eyes. Hyunjoong... I want to see him again. I shouldn't have acted strong. I should've stayed a while longer. I miss him so much. There's still so much I want to tell him. So much I want to give.

A few seconds later, he felt a cold but comforting hand wiping away his tears. He opened his eyes slightly and even though his sight was blurry, he saw his father standing over him with a warm smile, with one hand holding onto his empty hand and the other helping Youngsaeng close his fingers around the letter. The boy smiled lightly as he inhaled and exhaled one last time before his eyes closed and he let himself go.