Chapter One: Silence

Beautiful Melody

 

A new school year means a new life for students.

Well, not for Jessica Jung.

“Look at that guy, Yoona. He’s acting like he owns this place, as if he were the most handsome guy in this school.” Jessica twirled her hair as she irritably looked at the sight of Lee Donghae – her greatest enemy – flirting with a bunch of hot girls. Oh wait, those hot girls are her friends! “Really, I don’t see why Sooyoung and Hyoyeon even bother to flirt with him.”

Yoona’s eyes mischievously lit up, “Why, are you jealous, Jessica?” and she laughed her trademark alligator laugh as the so called ice princess rolled her eyes. “But hey, why in the world are you so angry at him anyway? He’s a nice guy. Give him a chance. And oh, just for the record, they aren’t flirting: They’re talking with each other”

“Yoona! You’re my best friend. How can you say such a thing towards the guy I hate the most? He is annoying.”

Yoona laughed again, “When will you stop hating the poor guy who have done nothing wrong to you?”

Never, Jessica thought.

“Yoong, it’s the first day of school. I don’t want to be late; tardiness will be ugly for a student like me who is running to be an honor student. Let’s go to our first class.” She grabbed the doe-eyed girl by the hand as the latter one struggled to break free.

“Jessica! Let’s stay at the cafeteria! I need to finish my food!”

“Yoong, gluttony is a sin. We need to leave now.”

“Won’t you even call Sooyoung and Hyoyeon?”

“Okay. But I hope you know that I won’t go anywhere near that guy, right? You call them. I’ll wait for you.” She suddenly let go of Yoona’s hand giving the latter one a shock.

“Geez. Don’t be so violent.” Yoona mumbled as she made her way towards her friends.

~

It was all the same.

Ever since Donghae entered the school, Jessica have been giving him the same things over and over again: That glare filled with loathing and secret glances filled with disgust.

But why?

Just a while ago, when the blonde girl was talking to her friend, she was smiling so broadly that it almost reached her ears. But when her eyes met his, her smile turned into a frown, and once again, she glared at him.

She looked beautiful.

She looks beautiful whether she is smiling or frowning.

“Donghae oppa! Why are you staring blankly at the space?” the tall girl named Sooyoung violently punched his shoulder in order to get his attention and he yelped in pain. “Ouch, Sooyoung, you can get my attention without using violence, I hope you realize that.”

“Well, you’re not paying attention to me! Do you remember what I just said?”

“Well, which one?”

“The one about food.”

Hyoyeon interrupted the two, “Sooyoung, you’re always talking about food. Everything you said just now is related to the things you want to eat” and with this statement, she earned a punch on the shoulder just like Donghae.

“I was only being honest.” The short girl pouted.

“Well, honesty hurts a person.”

“Since when?”

“Since now.”

“Ladies,” Donghae interrupted the two bickering girls, “Stop fighting over me.” He said jokingly.

“We were fighting over food, oppa.”

“Hey,” Yoona suddenly appeared in front of them, and Donghae was dismayed over the fact that she was alone and left Jessica at their table. Of course, what had he expected? She will always stay away from him for reasons he can never understand.

“I think we should get going to our classes girls. You too, Donghae oppa.” Yoona smiled as she took her friends’ hands and walk away.

And Donghae realized that he dreams of the day when Jessica would also call him oppa.

Shrugging his thoughts off, he started walking towards their room as he realized that his dream can never come true for his beloved ice princess will always be cold towards him.

~

“Yoong, where are our other friends? Will they be joining us for lunch?”

“Sooyoung, I’m sure you’ve had breakfast at home before you went to school. And you just ate a sandwich before we’ve started walking, and now, you’re thinking about lunch?”

“Shut up Hyo! I’m hungry.”

“You always are. You and Yoona always are, right Yoong?”

As if she were in a trance, Yoona failed to notice that her two friends were even talking because of a tall handsome figure which retreated from among the crowd. His eyes met hers, and his gaze was something she can’t ignore.

He has the most beautiful pair of eyes she had ever seen. They were double-lidded and they managed to mesmerize the normally indifferent Yoona.

For a couple of minutes, they shared each other’s gazes; both admiring each other’s undeniable beauty.

He was the first one to break off the gaze. And for the first time in her life, Yoona wished that a man would look at her directly in the eye for a long period of time.

“Yoong, I think we should go to your table . . .” Sooyoung said, a bit uncomfortable with the situation, “We can talk about lunch later.”

“young. . . “ Hyoyeon spoke, “What just happened?”

What just happened?

“I really don’t know girls. Anyway, let’s go to Sica. She must be waiting for us.”

Her heart was beating very fast for a moment, just like the sound of the drums being played by a rocker. But then, after a while, silence followed and stayed in her heart. Of course; she must ignore the beating of her heart.

~

They keep on insisting that he’s such a stupid dork.

“Dude, are you really transferring to another school in the search of love? There are plenty of hot women here at our school. You don’t need to look around somewhere else.” His best friend Changmin insisted. But still, he transferred because he felt as if his fate, the love of his life was here.

Yes. He agrees. He really is a stupid dork; A stupid dork in the name of love.

And when he saw her, she immediately stood up from the crowd. She has the most mesmerizing pair of doe eyes and a perfectly milky white complexion. He looked at her for exactly eight seconds, and waited for something to happen – for his heart to beat faster or tremble slightly, or for butterflies to fly in his stomach.

But nothing happened.

So he broke off the gaze they shared and decided that his destiny was probably somewhere else.

 

~

A double update for today. YAY~!! :D

Thanks for the subs guys :D

Hope u'll drop a comment :D :D

and oh, the silence symbolizes the silence of their hearts; their journeys have just started.

-Lei