➸ 4

Half of My Heart

♥ SY

I didn't graduate from university with the best grades. I am really just your average type of girl in my twenties. I need a job, I have a hobby, and I want to fulfill my dream.

Reality is just not as beautiful as fairytale.

Although I have what people would probably call as the prince charming, I don't want him to give me any special treatment. I want to do something by my own, to write my own story of life. It sounds foolish, of course, but I want to stick with that.

That's why I let myself to take as many part time jobs as possible while I lead myself closer to my dream: a professional singer.

Working as a waitress at a small bakery, singing two or three songs at a local cafe, and running around to deliver pizza at night. I do need money to continue living, don't I?

It's been two weeks since I had my new phone and, trying very hard not to feel guilty, acquired my favorite idol's phone number. I still can't believe Yoseob actually called me just to make sure everything was okay.

I shouldn't be surprised, I know. All six of them are really nice. I'm not saying this as a fan of BEAST but I know it from Gikwang's stories. He often tells me a lot about their friends and, although I never met them by person until two weeks ago, I could figure out how good they are.

Yoseob is definitely not an exception. I have heard about how sweet and caring he is and I finally became another living proof of his genuine heart.

He remembered me having sore throat on my audition. He bothered himself to ask his manager for my new phone number. Sure he didn't contact me at all after the incident -- who am I to start with? I'm just an ordinary fan.

But he still remembers me.

"Seoyun-ssi," Yoseob greets me with smile. "What a surprise."

Of all part time jobs that I take, I never expected to meet him as a pizza delivery staff.

Since it's my last delivery task tonight, I have excused myself to go straight back to my apartment. Blame me for not noticing his name as the customer; I only saw "Mr Yang" when I took off to his address. I just really wanted to return as soon as possible.

Now I need to take those words back when he tells me to step in his apartment; his own apartment, apart from the other members.

I know that he has an apartment but Gikwang said he never went there yet so, once again, I never expected to visit the place. Not even for the slightest chance.

"How's the new phone?" Yoseob asks me calmly as if I am a frequent visitor. He puts a glass of water in front of me, "Have you put BEAST's songs there?"

I nod, completely out of words. It's normal that I feel nervous, right? I mean... I'm in my favorite idol's apartment, sitting on the same sofa! It will be so wrong if I actually feel nothing.

Yoseob wears a green sweater, keeping himself warm. His television is on, showing a music program. He has opened the pizza box and offers me to grab a slice for myself.

"Ah, no, thank you very much but I... I need to leave soon so...," I pause, unsure what to say. Do I really want to leave right away? "You should enjoy your dinner..."

He chuckles and I feel like something inside of me flips. So this is how it feels to be so close to your favorite singer, your inspiration.

"I will be happy to have a companion for dinner," Yoseob lifts the pizza box from the table and brings it closer to me. "This is my favorite pizza. Try it."

I still don't understand what kind of fate that Goddess of Fortune is leading me to but, for now, I like how it's going now.

And eating pizza with him is not the only thing that would make me surprised tonight.


ღ ღ ღ
 

♥ YS

Being nice to fans is not something that my company asks me to. Caring about them is not just limited because of my work ethics.

It's the only way I can thank them for supporting me other than through my voice. I will never be who I am now without them.

Even though I often hear people say that I'm their inspiration or I changed their lives at some points, I am actually the one who is inspired by their support. I am the one who is supposed to be thankful for their love.

Sure I know some fans can be off the limit sometimes. I'm not going to defend them if they have crossed the line. I will love to be friends with every each of them if I have the chance.

Just like tonight when I meet Jang Seoyun again.

Our paths have crossed for the third time and my hunch tells me that it's not just a mere coincidence.

She is really quiet but I can see that it's possibly because of her being nervous. I can understand it since I will react like her too if I'm in the same room with my favorite artist.

"Seoyun-ssi, do you mind if I ask you something?" I open up a conversation after I finish my second slice of pizza. She told me that this job is just her part-time job and I don't pry for more.

After she nods as the answer, I ask about when she started to love singing and, this is me being a little bit curious, what made her became BEAST's fan.

I actually expect a typical answer but she surprises me with the answers of both my questions.

Seoyun ponders for a moment, "Well... I just found myself singing along with every song that I liked when I was six years old. Then I learned how to play piano and guitar just so I could sing along with music."

Her lips forms a smile which is different from the smile that I have seen from her since our first meeting. It's a smile that I recognize so well; the same smile that I have when everyone asks me about my passion in singing.

She is giving an answer that her heart gives, not just words to amaze people.

"I watched your debut stage and I thought BEAST was really unique...," she pouts slightly, remembering something. "But then, there's this fancam that charmed me very well..."

"A fancam?" I repeat the word. "Which fancam are you talking about?"

Seoyun takes out her phone, the one we bought to replace her broken phone, but stops in the middle of unlocking it, "Ah, I forgot... I haven't stored it here."

I was just going to ask for the fancam title but stop myself when I notice where her eyes land on: my guitar.

It's a guitar that my fans gifted to me on my birthday two years ago. I practiced with it sometimes but I still haven't reached the expert level yet.

"Want to try playing it?" I ask calmly, making her flinches. I stand up to reach it but she quickly stops me.

"Ah, no, no! It's such a precious guitar! I was just-"

"How did you know?" I raise my eyebrow, interested. Apparently she is also one of my fans who agreed to give me a guitar and join the birthday project to give it to me.

I grab the guitar and walk back to the sofa, strumming it for multiple times before handing it to her, "It is precious for me because of you too."

"But I can't...," Seoyun shifts backwards, look afraid to touch it as if the guitar will break. "I am not... I don't think I should play it..."

I place it carefully in front of her, letting the musical instrument to lean on her arm, "Can I hear you sing a song for me? Since I didn't manage to hear you sing in a good condition during the audition, how about now?"

Seoyun is still hesitating but I ask her one more time and she finally takes the guitar, clearing , "Any song?"

"Any song you like," I rest my cheek on fist, leaning comfortably against the sofa. I know that her voice is very good but, once again, she surprises me.

She takes a deep breath, touching the strings with her fingers before finally sings with her soft voice.

"I watch your face and softly strum the guitar
I still remember that day in autumn when we said goodbye
Like many years ago, can we sing softly together?"

Seoyun looks up at me, giving me an awkward grin, "It's not that good, I know. I'm sorry."

"Hold on...," I straighten my body, unsure of my own reaction. "Did you... Is that your own song?"

If it's a 'yes', I think I have found an amazing talent that the world should never miss.


ღ ღ ღ
 

♥ GK

I switch the television channels up and down, feeling bored. Seoyun still hasn't replied my message after the last one where she said she still has another task to do.

To know that she actually takes some part time jobs everywhere, I hate myself for not being able to persuade her for a work at CUBE.

It's not a wise decision if I recommend her right away. She is always worried that she will ruin my popularity if the public finds out about us meanwhile I'm worried about herself.

Seoyun is the type of person who wants to do her best in everything. She will hate it if people think that she gets something not because of her own effort.

Me, being an idol, is not something that she hates but she wants to reach her dream without people thinking that Lee Gikwang is who gives her the ladder to success.

"Really?" Doojoon's voice distracts me as he just walks out from his own room. He looks excited for a reason that I can't guess. "Wow. That's... Yeah, that's a good news!"

Dongwoon stops playing his phone and looks up, giving me a questioning look. I shrug, "Who is he talking to?"

Doojoon ends up the phone call after stating, "Let's talk the details together tomorrow. Of course. Try to talk to her."

Our leader grins so wide as if someone just called him and told him that he won a lottery. Doojoon throws himself next to me, "It's Yoseob. Guess luck is with us."

"What are you talking about?" I turn off the television, having all of my interest in the conversation now. "What is it?"

"Remember that CUBE wants us to release a new album for CUBE family? That they are looking for a lyricist to help Junhyung and Taejoo because they're really busy too?" Doojoon clasps his hands. "Yoseob found it already."

Dongwoon frowns, "What? How? I thought he's locking himself in his own apartment? How did he even find one?"

"He'll tell us the details tomorrow," Doojoon turns to me, still flashing a happy grin. "I don't know how talented she is but Yoseob is really determined to have her to work with us."

"She agreed already?" Dongwoon sounds really excited too now. "Wow. That's cool!"

"Nope, she has declined but Yoseob is still trying to persuade her. I don't think she can refuse it if Yoseob begs her. I think he is her favorite idol."

"Who is this person?" I am really curious now and I have a feeling that I know who he is talking about.

Who would have thought that the name he is going to mention will make my smile disappear?

"Remember our fan that has her phone broken because of me weeks ago at the university? Seo... Jang Seo... Jang Seoyun-ssi?"

 

❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣ ❣

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
 
Last updated 3 July 2014 and today is 5 March 2015.
It's almost a year and I am so sorry for the super-rare-update. :(

*) The lyrics in Seoyun's POV is inspired by Jay Chou's "Handwritten Past".

Hope you enjoy the update. Drop the comment below or mention me at Twitter @AFFkyuri91. :)