➸ 1

Half of My Heart
♥ SY
 
If someone asks me what my best skill is, I will answer with all my confidence: singing.
 
Ever since I was a little girl, I always had interest with music. I learned to play piano when I was seven and tried guitar two years later. While playing the instruments, I also love to sing along with the melodies.
 
If it's not to fulfill my duty as the only children for my parents to graduate from college, I would leave the education right away and pursue my dream to be a professional artist.
 
That's why after I graduated last year, I focused to learn more, enhancing myself until I was sure that I could apply for an audition.
 
So here I am today, in a dance studio for CUBE Entertainment audition for the second time, standing in front of the judges with my favorite guitar, the one I received for my birthday three years ago.
 
"Annyeonghaseyo," I bow in ninety degrees, putting my best smile even though I'm not in my perfect condition at the moment. "My name is Jang Seoyun. I'm twenty two years old this year."
 
"Seoyun-ssi," the female solo idol I recognize as G.Na greets me with a smile. "So you will play guitar too. What song will you perform for us tonight?"
 
I tighten my grip on the guitar, clearing my throat because it feels so uncomfortable, "I'll try to sing the acoustic version of On Rainy Days. It's my favorite song."
 
"Omo!" G.Na exclaims, turning to tease the guy who sits next to her. "Another fan for BEAST! Well, let's listen to your version then, Seoyun-ssi."
 
If only I brought umbrella yesterday, if only I didn't run through the heavy rain, if only I had more patience, I would be perfectly fine today. I keep sneezing and coughing since morning and, now, there's barely any difference.
 
When I am going to sing the second line, my voice cracks and I start to cough. I stop playing the guitar, covering my mouth tightly.
 
After that my number one favorite idol in Korean music world at the moment comes to me with a bottle of water. He hands it to me as he gives me a sympathetic smile.
 
"Seoyun-ssi, you need to take care of your vocal chords so you shouldn't force yourself. Besides I still want to hear your version of our song so... I'll see you again next year?"
 
With those words from him, I know my path to enter his record label is nowhere to be seen. The only thing I can do is return to my apartment, laying down on my bed and regret my foolishness.
 
How does it feel when you have prepared everything carefully, with all the best confidence you can have in your life, then it's ruined by your silly mistake?
 
Miserable, it is.
 
I think I just closed my eyes for minutes but, when I open my eyes again, it's almost midnight. Right next to me, someone has taken a seat, looking at me as his fingers comb my hair.
 
"You must be really tired," he smiles to me, the same smile he always gives to me for the past ten years. "How are you feeling, Seoyun?"
 
I sit up and study his face. Does he know that he is the one who looks really tired instead of me? He is the one who is lacking sleep every night, not me, yet he still comes to visit me.
 
"Mianhae...," I touch his face with my fingers, feeling bad for failing his high expectation. "I was careless..."
 
He takes my hand and leans closer to kiss my forehead, "Why did you apologize? It should be me who didn't notice your condition when I called you this morning."
 
I pinch his cheeks playfully and chuckle, "Yah, Lee Gikwang. I'm fine so don't give me that kind of face. I still can try again next year, right?"
 
"Besides...," my eyes fall to the bottle I put on the table before I rested myself on the bed, the one I received in the audition room from him.
 
Gikwang tilts his head, waiting for me to continue my words but I just smile and tell him, "Besides I have you here now."
 
Besides I finally met him in person.
 
 
 
ღ ღ ღ
 
 
 
♥ GK
 
"Done!" Hyuna stretches out her arms and sighs in relief. "So many youngsters with enthusiasm! We'll discuss the details tomorrow morning, right?"
 
While she is talking with the staff, I leave the room and look around, wondering if she is still waiting here or has returned to her apartment.
 
I try to call her but she doesn't pick it up. The next thing I do is checking the attendance list, looking for her name to make sure that she did come tonight.
 
"Jang... Jang... Jang Seoyun...," I murmur her name as my finger points to the name list. I spot her name on the eleventh page. "Ah, room 4."
 
Room 4. It's Yoseob and G.Na's room. As much as I want to ask them how she did during the audition, I refrain myself from doing so and excuse myself for some personal matters, promising my manager I will return to apartment soon.
 
Just like what I thought, I find her on bed, falling asleep, still wearing her black jacket. I sit next to her, her hair gently so I will not wake her up.
 
This year is her second attempt to apply for CUBE Entertainment audition but, assuming from how she just returned without telling me anything, I'm pretty sure she didn't make it. Again.
 
Now that I see her face carefully, she looks a little bit pale. Her voice didn't sound really good either on the phone this morning but she assured me that it's because she just woke up.
 
I was going to fix her sleeping position when she finally wakes up, opening her eyes slowly and notices my presence. Looking at her like this, I still can't believe nine years have passed since that day.
 
"Have you taken any medicine?" I ask her as she takes off her jacket. "Do you want me to prepare something to eat before I leave?"
 
She shakes her head and heaves a sigh, speaking with hoarse voice, "I just need to have a rest. You need to have a good rest too."
 
"I will," I stand up and take her jacket, hanging it in her wardrobe. I walk to her and bends down a little to level my eyes with hers, "Until you have something to eat first."
 
She pouts and I can't resist myself to land a quick kiss on her lips. She lets out a shy smile, "You really know how to make me feel better, don't you?"
 
"Because it's you," I retort, pressing the tip of my nose with hers. "I miss you, Seoyun ah..."
 
"Really?" she smirks playfully, pulling my collar slowly. "How can I believe it?"
 
I lean closer to her while she keeps leaning backwards until her back meets the comfortable bed, making me to fall on top of her.
 
I guess I will be a little bit late to return to our dorm tonight.
 
"Should I prove it then, Seoyun?"
 
 
 
ღ ღ ღ
 
 
 
♥ YS
 
It's past midnight already but I'm still wide awake, focusing on the lyrics I've been trying to arrange so they will match with melodies Junhyung has created last week.
 
As an idol group who has been living in this entertainment world for three years, I realize that we should improve not just as a group, but also as an individual.
 
I try to portray my feelings for fans through words but I'm still not good enough to do that easily. As our leader, Doojoon has tried to encourage me, saying that I will definitely sing even better as the main vocalist if I write the lyrics by myself.
 
That's why even after the audition tonight, I don't let myself to have a rest. I don't feel sleepy yet so I just stay in the living room of our dorm, plugging the earphones and keep repeating Junhyung's creation.
 
The song is started with guitar and, during the rap part, the piano tunes can be heard. It's so beautiful that I really want to write the lyrics by myself so the fans will feel more special.
 
Tonight I have dedicated myself to finish the lyrics because I just saw so many passionate applicants for CUBE audition tonight. They remind me of myself and I really want to treasure this passion forever as a singer.
 
"Oh," Gikwang just returns from somewhere, taking off his shoes. "You haven't sleep yet? What are you doing?"
 
"Lyrics," I reply, watching his every move. "Where did you go just after the audition? Joonkun Hyung is worried, you know."
 
The main dancer laughs and takes off his jacket, "I told him I was sorry. Don't worry. How's the audition for you tonight?"
 
"Good," I answer shortly as he takes a seat next to me. "There are a lot of our fans. I'm surprised by myself too. How about you?"
 
Gikwang nods, "Me too. Anyway, Yoseob, any particular fan you remember?"
 
I frown, trying to remember each of the applicants, "Well, there is our fanboy... He can do beatbox too. I thought his favorite member is Junhyung but he actually likes Dongwoon."
 
"Only one?" he looks really curious. "A girl, perhaps?"
 
"Well, there's a girl who can dance really well. Oh, she's your fan since Dancing Shoes era," I tell him but I can see he is still disatisfied. "Waeyo? What is it that you want to ask?"
 
"Hah? Ah, nothing," he avoids my question. Gikwang stands up and heads to his room, "I'm going to sleep first. Good night, Yoseob."
 
Even though I have known Gikwang since high school, there are still some things I don't understand about him.
 
Like why he always keep two copies of our albums for himself, one of them are autographed by six of us. He said that it's for his personal collection.
 
Or like how he always takes a leave for personal matter at least once a month but none of us knows where he goes. He once said that it's because he needed to take care of various things.
 
"Well, it's not like he is dating or else," I shrug and bring back my focus to the laptop.
 
Because if that's the case, Gikwang will definitely tell us.