Chapter Twp

I Can Hear Your Voice: Jang Hye Yun

I do not own I Can Hear Your Voice.

 

"He's out of jail?" I asked even more frightened. "He could be the one targeting me!" 

"I'm sure it's not him, besides, he's been volunteering all day. We had someone following him all day," the cop said. 

"Oh my God! Are you okay Hye Yun?!" my sister yelled running to me. She must have just come from work. If she had come from home she'd be wearing sweats and a tank top. 

"I'm alright. Just someone broke into the apartment. It's alright," I whispered. More to myself than anything. There's no solid evidence it's Min Joon Kook, so I can't really file for intrusion. There's no solid evidence it's anyone anyways. I can't charge anything. I can't charge for voyeurism, I can't charge for breaking and entering, because I don't know who it was. 

 

"You'll be safe here, just get a good night's sleep," my sister said and patted my hair. "If you don't feel all that great in the morning, you can just stay here." Then she left, and I was alone. 

 

"Why did you lie?! You ruined my life,my mom's life, and my little sister's life!" my sister yelled and Do Yeon. She deserved it. She lied about my sister hitting her in the eye with a firework. Why would she do it anyways?! 

"Hye Yun could have said something against it but she didn't!" Do Yeon yelled and the conversation turned to me.

"I did say something! Your mom just passed it off because I'm a little kid!" I yelled back. When did it get so dark? The stars are shining tonight. 

"See! Even your mom's unfai--

CRASH! 

"What was that?" Do Yeon and my sister said in unison. We made our way to the street over where we came upon a car accident between a truck and a smart car. There was blood everywhere. All of a sudden the guy got out of the truck. He was holding a crow bar.

"I guess I'll have to finish him off!" the guy said smiling grossly. Is he really going to bash the guy's head in. 

"Please save...my son!" the victim croaked as the guy with the crowbar came closer. 

It was an eerie sound, hearing the crowbar scratch on the ground like that. It was like hearing a scary movie in real life. 

All of a sudden the guy with the crowbar jumped onto the smashed car's hood and started bashing the windshield in. When that was accomplished, the guy with the crowbar started hitting the victim on the head as the child, my age, in the front seat, started screaming. 

The victim died and the guy with the crowbar made his way to the passenger seat probably to finish off the little boy. 

 'Smile!' my sister's phone said as she took a picture. The killer turned toward us slowly and the fear grew closer. My sister grabbed my hand and we all started running as fast as we could so the killer wouldn't kill us with a crowbar. 

We hid inside of a bush nearby and all you could hear was the rattling of a crowbar across the street and heavy footsteps. The killer started beating the bush we were in and Do Yeon and I cringed with fear. He's going to find us too.

That's when Do Yeon gave out a little hiccup and the killer turned around to our bush again. My sister and I gave her a look of fear. She just gave away our hiding place. 

Police sirens were heard nearby and we could tell that the killer was getting antsy. "If it wasn't for you es, I could've cleanly finished this," he growled with hate. "You guys can hear me, right! Since you're nearby, you should be able to hear me. You saw everything earlier, right? You know why I killed that man? It's because he moved his tongue in a wrong way! He said everything he wanted to and that's why I killed him! If you guys want to live, close your mouths. Then nothing will happen. If there's no witness, it'll just be a car accident. If you go to the police and tell them you saw me and say it was a murder case, you will have the same fate as that man. If you tell your parents, I'll do the same to them as well. So, for me not to kill you, you guys have to help me. Okay?! Just like now, stay hidden. Don't even appear and don't say anything. Or else I'll kill you, and the people you told. So stay hidden for the rest of your lives. So that I don't hear anything, or see anything. Stay. Hidden."

The sound of the bloody crowbar dragged across the ground embedded itself in to my brain. 

 

"Hye Yun~! There's someone for you outside!" a classmate chimed. I looked out the window and a guy in a black hoodie was looking right up at this classroom. It brought flashes of what happened nine years ago back into my head. The sound of the bloody crowbar was replaying in my head as I looked at the guy in the black hoodie. 

"Hye Yun~! Come out and play~!" the creepy voice of the anonymous man creeped up to my ears. The window was open. All of a sudden, hands pushed my back and I fell out the window. This is terror.

 

"Hye Yun! Wake up! It's just a nightmare!" my sister yelled shaking me awake. As soon as my eyes opened, I threw my arms around her and sobbed. 

"I had a dream about him again! Unnie! I'm so scared," I whispered in to her ear while sobbing. 

"It's alright. You're safe. He's not coming here," Soo Ha said comfortingly and patted my back. "I'll make sure of it." I'm still not sure why he's here. Does he live here? I think so. Maybe those were the shoes I saw at the front door. 

I unlatched myself from my sister's neck and put my arms around my legs instead. "Why don't you tell us your dream."

"Well, it was the night of the car crash. Do Yeon, you, and I were fighting over the firework accident and then we heard the car. We rushed over, you took a picture, and he chased us in the bushes yelling. But then it turned to last year in school when I got pushed out of the window. I just couldn't get the crowbar sound out of my head," I explained looking at my blanket. 

"You can accompany me to work today," my sister offered.

"I would love too."