Chapter Nine

Back to December

She told him to wait, to give her a few days to think things through. Those days passed, months even and she didn’t return. He looked out his window to see the snow falling at a rate that would make man question the existence of gravity. Did time stop? No, waiting just feels this way, everything around you slows down. The trees stood tall and cold, but still no sign of her. The confidence, the hope and faith he had in her, every second he waited for eventually turned him into time itself. Now, he can barely remember her face anymore…

“-ime, Time?”

He flinched and turned his head away from the window. Was it her? Did she come back for him?

“Is everything ok? You didn’t respond when I was talking.”

Time’s mouth opened to speak but no words rolled off his tongue.

“Time?” She said slower and with concern.

“H-hyosung, sorry! I was just lost in thought.” He finally replied. “What were you saying?”

The female smiled before him, scarily reminding him of a smile that he missed and waited to see once again.

“I was saying that it’s Christmas Eve and even though you’ve already experienced Christmas a thousand times, go out tonight. Enjoy yourself.” Hyosung said and gave Time a small card. “Thank you for everything Time. May all your wishes come true this Christmas.”

Time looked at the handwritten card and smiled. “Thanks. Well since I have nothing to give to you in return. I wish that you and Daehyun can spend Christmas together until you both grow old.”

Hyosung blushed and looked away. “You’ve done so much for me. Being here in this time frame is already enough. Let’s just hope I don’t ruin it.”

“You won’t. Unlike me, you’ve got someone to return to. As long as you both live under the same sky, there is always a chance to cross paths. You just have to take the opportunities that come to you.”

Hyosung nodded. “You’re right. As long as we’re still breathing, nothing is impossible!”

She sounded so convinced but Time knew better. Even if the one you love is still on this planet, if you don’t ever chase them and just wait, you’ll only get the short end of the stick.

Hyosung checked her watch and smiled. “It’s almost five. I’ve got to go.”

“Have fun with Daehyun!” Time said and gave her a small wave.

“I will!” Hyosung announced and left the house.

Time sighed and looked out the window again. “Christmas… I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy it without you.”

He placed Hyosung’s Christmas card inside his jacket and watched the snow fall as kids played around in laughter.  Time laughed at himself. “Looks like things haven’t changed. I’m still waiting.”

* * * * * *

“You’re kidding right?” Hyosung asked when Daehyun placed a pair of ice skating shoes in her hands

“Nope.” Daehyun replied with a smug smile. “I’ve asked the manager to reserve the ice rink for us and they agreed.”

Hyosung smiled and looked at the frozen surface glistening before her. “How did they agree to open it?”

Daehyun grinned and placed a finger to his lips. “That’s a secret.”

“Hey, you two! You have half an hour to yourselves and then we’re closing ok?” A rather chubby male interrupted them from the edge of the rink.

“Yes sir.” Daehyun shouted back and turned to face Hyosung again. “Ok let’s get on.”

With uneasy steps, the two placed their feet onto the ice, both eager not to fall and look like a complete idiot.

“Can you skate?” Hyosung asked, although she already knew the answer.

Daehyun held onto the rink’s barrier with one hand and the other onto Hyosung’s. He laughed nervously, “Of course I can!”

A smile formed across Hyosung’s lips and she released Daehyun’s hand, “Ok then, I’ll race you to the other side.”

She smoothly glided across the slippery arena, leaving her partner clutching the knee length edge in fear.

“H-hey!” Daehyun stuttered. “Ok I lied! I can’t skate… that well. I was pretty good when I came here with my friends but that was years ago. Looks like I still need the practice,” he said, whispering the last sentence to himself.

Hyosung came sliding back and held onto Daehyun’s hands again. “Shall I help you then?”

Daehyun nodded in embarrassment which caused Hyosung to laugh at how cute he was.

“And here I thought, I was the one who would do the helping,” Daehyun muttered as the two slowly left the edge and entered the heart of the rink.

“Tell me if I’m going too fast.” Hyosung said and gently pulled Daehyun with her hands.

The ice rink was decorated with white and blue lights. Random winter decorations were scattered around and paper snowflakes hung from the ceiling. The area looked gentle and perfect for a romantic outing.

Daehyun was a little unsteady at first but Hyosung’s firm grip on his hands made him feel safe. They stood facing each other as Hyosung skated backwards to the centre and started to slowly spin them in circles.

“Too fast! Hyosung! Too fast!” Daehyun cried when she increased her speed.

She laughed and slowed down as requested. Unexpectedly, Daehyun pulled her closer and wrapped his arms around her as they slowed down.

“I feel like there’s no one else in the room besides us…literally.” Daehyun commented as he scanned the unoccupied space surrounding them.

Hyosung laughed and snuggled her face into Daehyun’s chest, taking in his scent, his warmth and the sense of security she felt at that moment. “Don’t ever let me go.” She said softly.

Daehyun reached into his coat and pulled out a small gift box. They separated from each other as Daehyun lifted the box into view. “Merry Christmas,” he said as he opened the box to reveal a silver bangle with blue stones embedded in it.

Hyosung’s eyes widen.

“Shall I help you put it on?” Daehyun asked as he removed the gift. Hyosung nodded and he slowly slid the bangle through her hands.

“Circles don’t have an end point right? So I hope this relationship we share will stay forever continuous.” Daehyun explained as Hyosung admired the silver bracelet hanging from her wrist.

“Thank you.”

Daehyun laughed. “No need to thank me. In the future, I’m going to get you a similar piece of jewellery,” His grin grew wider, “except it’ll be smaller and would slide onto this finger.”

Hyosung couldn’t hide her smile and she wrapped her arms around Daehyun once more, almost making them both fall.

“Sorry,” Hyosung apologised as they tumbled backwards.

Daehyun didn’t mind, “That’s ok, I got to hold you again so it’s all good.”

His comment was followed with a playfully hit on his arm. The two placed their foreheads together and began to spin in circles again.

A figure flickered across the corner of Daehyun’s eyes. But when he turned around to the same point the figure was gone. I must’ve imagined that, he thought. A few moments later he heard the door open.

 “Ok you two. Times up.” The manager of the ice rink announced.

Hyosung and Daehyun both turned their heads to the manager’s direction.

“Ah yes. Thank you for letting us use the rink.” Daehyun said as Hyosung guided him off the arena.

“No problem. Just remember what you agreed to.” The manager said and pointed his finger at the model.

Daehyun forced a laugh, “Yes, don’t worry. I’ll remember.”

Hyosung tilted her head with confusion. Without having the opportunity to ask what he promised, Daehyun already took his skates off and offered to take Hyosung’s off for her too.

“No that’s ok. I can take them off myself.” She replied and began to untie the laces.

“Alright then. Have a good Christmas you two.” The manager chimed and escorted them outside.

Daehyun bowed in gratitude and held Hyosung’s hands in hopes to warm her fingers from the cold air. It was snowing outside.

“So, where are you taking me now?” Hyosung asked curiously.

“Why don’t we just go for a walk? I have plans for us on Christmas Day.” Daehyun replied.

“Like what?” Hyosung questioned slowly.

“A dinner,” Daehyun answered with a smile, “at my place.”

The two strolled past various houses, admiring the street decorations. Christmas is the season for hope and in that moment, Hyosung had hope. Hope that this relationship will change for the better.


Author's Notes

Merry belated Christmas everyone!!! I was suposed to upload this on Christmas Eve but things happened and I never got to TT^TT my apologies! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! And if you don't celebrate... I hope you enjoyed the day off! :D 

As always, thank you for reading! xxx