Chapter Five

Back to December

“I can do this!” Hyosung said as she pumped her fists in the air. She straightened her blouse and smoothed out her skirt. Taking in a few deep breaths, she raised her wrist to check the time.

“It’s almost eight.” She breathed out. Should I ask for some advice?

Her index finger hovered over the glass surface of her watch, hesitant to make contact. She inhaled a deep breath and slowly moved her finger, giving her watch three gentle taps.

She looked around the room and felt her shoulders fall in disappointment. There was no one besides herself. Maybe I didn’t do it correctly…

Hyosung searched for the clock that she had accidentally knocked over when she woke up. Peering under her bed, her eyes squinted to find the object she was looking for. There was only darkness.

A tired sigh escaped her lips. She closed her eyes and flopped back onto her bed, letting her weight sink into the soft mattress.

“You called?” A male’s voice whispered and Hyosung shot up. She glanced to the side and there he was. Sitting there smiling at her.

“Time!” Hyosung called in relief.

She stood up and composed herself. “I’m sorry to have called you so early but I need some advice.”

“Go on.” Time prompted his smile never leaving his face.

Hyosung took in a deep breath and asked in anticipation, “How do I look?”

Time narrowed his eyebrows, “Like you’re going to work?”

Hyosung let fall open, “No… that’s not what I meant,” she cleared , “I mean is my outfit ok? Should I add some accessories? A jacket maybe?”

Time laughed. “You called me here so I could be your stylist?”

Hyosung looked off to the side feeling embarrassed. “I’m a little nervous because I will see Daehyun today…” her voice trailed off.

Time gave an understanding ‘ah’ and paced around the girl. He held his chin as he examined her attire.

“I think you look fine,” He finally said and Hyosung let out the breath she had been holding.

“You seem… less depressed than the last time we saw each other.” Time pointed out as Hyosung brushed her hair.

“I’ve had a week. A total of seven days to think things through and I’ve decided. Daehyun must’ve had his reasons to suddenly break up and this time, with this second chance, I’m going to find out why and hopefully help him.” Hyosung admitted with confidence.

“How do you know he had a reason?” Time asked.

“He had to, it was just so sudden.” Hyosung sighed as she recalled the event, “Besides, he once told me something, and this may sound stupid and childish, but those words… I believe it. Even now, I believe him.”

Hyosung stopped talking and Time was left wondering what Daehyun had told her to make her trust him so strongly. But since she already finished, he didn’t want to ask further.

“Oh Time?” Hyosung said abruptly. 

“Hm?” He hummed.

“Do you eat?” She asked curiously. “Like human food?”

Time laughed, “Of course I do. How else do you think I survive?”

Hyosung gave a bright smile and nodded, “I’ll treat you to something later.”

With that, she pulled on her heels and headed out of the house.

“Looks like she really thought this through,” Time chuckled to himself as Hyosung left his sight. In a sense, he admired her. Having the confidence to repeat things all over again, hoping for change.

He looked out of Hyosung’s bedroom window and saw her walking with such poise. His lips curved upwards. I hope you’ll find the ending you wanted…

 

Hyosung felt a shiver run down her spine. Maybe I should’ve bought that jacket. She mentally thought as she rubbed her bare arms. It was winter after all. Even with the gentle heating in the coffee shop, she was still cold.

Her hot beverage had arrived and she quickly wrapped her hands around the white ceramic cup. Absorbing the heat it provided. She took a small sip, letting the liquid warm her.

Hyosung made a promise with herself. “Do not think of what will happen next. Instead, think of what is happening now.”

She nodded slightly and looked towards the entrance of the shop. The glass walls gave her the perfect view of the people walking outside. Couples that had their arms linked, shared a scarf and even elderly couples that held hands all made Hyosung reminisce the days she spent with Daehyun. No! Stop. What did you promise yourself? Only think of what is happening now. She mentally scolded.

Hyosung sighed and took another sip of her coffee. White foam covered her upper lip and she removed it with her tongue. She caught a glimpse of the next customer and felt her cheeks burn. Maybe she didn’t need a jacket after all.

Her eyes followed him to the counter. Besides him was an older male. They turned around to find a seat and Hyosung quickly dropped eye contact. She could see their shoes walking closer and didn’t dare to raise her head.

“Excuse me, my hyung and I are looking for some seats but they’re already taken. Do you mind if we sit here with you?” A male asked politely.

Hyosung slowly looked up. Ok pretend you don’t know who he is.

“Ah, yeah sure. No one’s sitting here anyway.”

“Oh,” the male suddenly said in surprise, “Aren’t you Hyosung? The photographer?”

“You’re... Daehyun.” Hyosung exclaimed finally and pointed at the model, acting as if she had just remembered his name.

The model smiled when she had recognised him and quickly took the seat directly opposite to her. He leaned slightly forward and placed his elbows on the table, his chin rested atop of his clasped hands.

“You did a really good job last time with the photos.” Daehyun praised.

Hyosung laughed. “Thank you.”

“So what got you into photography in the first place?” Daehyun asked, in hopes to start a conversation between them.

Hyosung took a moment to think. She stirred her coffee to help stimulate a response.

“I guess it was mostly the idea of capturing moments,” Hyosung said followed by a small laugh, “I used to think that when I got old, I would forget everything. So I started to take pictures as a representation of what I saw and experienced. Pictures last forever. That snapshot you captured is fixed. It can’t be changed and it can’t be replaced.”

Daehyun listened carefully, his gaze never left her as she spoke. He didn’t know she would respond with such depth to his simple question.

“And there’s something I’ve realised, no matter how skilled you are. You cannot take the same picture twice. No two pictures will be the same. Even if it looks like it is, it’s not. There will always be a subtle difference.” Hyosung added.

She stopped stirring her coffee and imitated Daehyun’s posture. Resting her chin on her hands, she began to add to the conversation, “How about you? What was it that made you a model?”

Daehyun sat back and laughed. It was an addictive sound, a soft chuckle that made the listener want to hear it again and again. “My reason is quite simple actually. It was to support my family. I couldn’t leave everything to my sister.”

Hyosung never asked why Daehyun wanted to be a model before. She always assumed that it was a hobby, a dream. The response he gave was unexpected.

The two continued to converse with each other and Manager Kang felt like he should’ve left them. They just clicked. The chemistry between them was incredible. Daehyun made her laugh and Hyosung made him bashful. As they were talking, he also noticed that Daehyun had not once taken a sip of his coffee.

 

The warmth from Hyosung’s drink begun to take effect as she no longer felt cold. However, she had a feeling it wasn’t just the coffee that was responsible, it was Daehyun as well. Having him so close to her gave Hyosung a different kind of warmth, a feeling of security.

“Oh that’s right!” Daehyun said in realisation, “My next project involves an amusement park. Since I’m unfamiliar with the concept I wanted to practise beforehand. Would it be ok if I asked you to help me?”

Hyosung twisted her eyebrows. “What do you want me to help you with?”

Daehyun scratched the back of his head. “Well, I wanted you to help take some photos.”

A wide grin formed on Hyosung’s lips. “Sure. When do you want to practise?”

Daehyun’s face lit up. “Would this Wednesday be alright? Maybe after you finish work? I could come pick you up if that’s more convenient.” He informed. His excitement escalated with each word.

Hyosung hung her head and smiled. She realised how much easier it was to just go with the flow than using her memories. Time was right. She shouldn’t rely on what she knew.

“That sounds good.” She replied and drank the rest of her coffee.

 “Alright. I’ll see you on Wednesday then.” Daehyun said as he discretely did a fist pump under the table.

He stood up and gave a slight bow, preparing to leave. He gave Hyosung a cute wave and his manager led him out the shop. As he reached the exit, he turned to face her once more with a smile. The same sweet gesture he had used to approach her.

Hyosung returned the wave and watched as his figure disappeared around the corner.

It wasn’t until a few days ago had she realised why she so desperately wanted to come back to the past. It was a reason she didn’t want to admit to herself when he broke her heart, a reason that always stirred inside her but was purposely locked away. It was simple, clear and understandable. Yet it was only until recently had Hyosung finally acknowledged it.

She still loved him. Her feelings never changed, even when he walked away from her and said words to hurt her. Even then, at the last remaining seconds of their relationship… she loved him. And she was sure, the feelings she had for him were exactly like a photograph. They were fixed. They would never change and would never be replaced. 


Author's Notes

I would like to apologise for the long wait... but THANK YOU to those who just subscribed and a big thank you to those who are reading this right now! I am really grateful to every single one of you! I hope you're enjoying the story so far :')

<3