the revelation

All The Happiness In The World

It has been three years. Three years ever since I sent that text, three years ever since I tried to get over him. Three years of suffering. It's not that I did not make any effort in forgetting him; it's just too hard to do so. I tried getting myself boyfriends or girlfriends, but they never lasted through a month. All I thought about was his smile, which was sufficient to make me smile. The three years that I had been trying so hard to put on a façade and act indifferently to my feelings, it was all torn down in just one night.

 

It was a grand masquerade ball especially for the club's alumni. I was donned in my favourite pink suit and had an exquisite white and gold mask to go with it. It's been three years since I last saw them and honestly, I was happy to have been able to meet them again after those three years. After all, we did work hard together in the years when we were in the club. The fact that I readily agreed to go for the ball was to catch up with my old schoolmates and hopefully meet Onew in the ball.

 

It seems like luck wasn't by my side. It's been 20 minutes into the ball yet I haven't seen Onew at all. 

 

"The reason you came to the ball was to meet your ex-schoolmates. Stop trying to look for him!" I thought and sighed. My eyes finally left the crowd at the middle of the ballroom and concentrated on listening to the jokes that my friends were saying and laughing along.

 

"Wow, isn't that Jinki? Omo, he turned out pretty hot." I saw one of the girls in the group pointing to the door and whipped my head around with anticipation (to finally meet him after 3 long years). 

 

My smile dropped as I saw him holding to a lady's waist and walking into the ballroom. I knew with his looks, he would have no problem finding a girlfriend. I never gave myself hope, so why am I feeling so disappointed? It's hard to see him together with someone that has the ability to make me happy yet I am suffering all alone because I just cannot get over that stupid crush I had ever since I talked to him.

 

As I thought about the times when I needed him, needed somebody to offer me words of encourage and comfort, and how much I tried to convince I will live better without him, my eyes began to pool. I excused myself to the toilet, going to the toilet was just a mere reason to cover up for not wanting to see his girlfriend and him. I stayed for what seemed like hours in the toilet before getting out. I adjusted the mask on my face and tug on the sleeve before giving myself one last check and headed out. 

 

Just as I stepped right into the ballroom, the spotlight shone on me. The sudden brightness caused my eyes to squint so as to focus on the sight in front of me. I was clueless about what was happening and was about to ask someone beside me before I was pushed from one person to another and finally reached my destination, the center of the ballroom. To say that I was shocked was an understatement. 

 

I literally stood rooted to the ground and gaped at the person standing right in front of me. It was none other than Jinki.

 

"May I have this dance?" He shone me his brightest smile and extended his hand out. I hesitated before reaching out and grabbing his extended hand.

 

It was a slow dance. He had both of his palms on my waist and my hands naturally went up to his shoulder. I knew the walls that I have spent time building around my heart against the feelings for him would crumble if I were to look straight into his eyes, and once again, I chose to turn away. 

 

"I am sorry if I am not the one you wanted to dance with." He probably sensed the unwillingness of me dancing with him. Even though, I try so hard to deny, I knew deep in my heart, I was shaking from nervousness and happiness. 

 

"No it's okay. I don't have anybody I want to dance with anyways." I forced out a smile and looked away again.

 

"Don't you have a partner with you for the ball today?" He asked tilting his head a little. It felt like he was mocking me, anger surged up but I managed to stay calm and answered, "No. There wasn't anybody I could ask to to the ball." 

 

"Oh." Was all that escaped from his lips. And we stopped talking. Fortunately, the song came to an end as well. 

 

"It was a pleasure dancing with you." I awkwardly said and we parted but not without him giving his million watt smile. I gave a small smile in return and quickly turned around and walked away as quickly as possible.

 

'Oh no, not that smile. Please don't make me open my heart up for you again.' I thought and mentally hit my head. It was enough of a torture thinking about him every single day for the past three years. And all this three years, I have mastered the skill of pushing thoughts of him away by busying myself with work. But now that he is right in front of him, it's impossible to do so.

 

~*~

 

"And with that, the ball comes to an end. Thank you for your participation. I hope you have enjoyed it. See you next time!" A familiar voice boomed over the speakers. I looked at the stage and found my previous form teacher on the stage. 'She still has the same hairstyles and spectacles.' I stifled a laugh. 

 

I looked around to see everyone hugging one another and saying their goodbyes. I just didn't want to be involved in their emotional goodbyes and left the ballroom. 

 

Walking out of the hotel, I pulled up my sleeve and read the time. '12 a.m.?! Oh no and I have work tomorrow.' I thought and began to rush to the nearest bus stop. It was beginning to get a little chilly and I pulled my blazer closer to my body and hugged myself. 

 

I was the only one in the bus stop as many of the others either hopped on the other classmates car for a ride or had their own cars. I was beginning to regret not taking up the offer of a ride. 

 

'When is the bus coming?' I thought and rubbed my arm and looked out to the empty road. There weren’t any vehicles in sight, not to say a cab, except for a few cars that occasionally pass by the area. I sighed and pulled out my phone, ready to give the cab hotline a ring for a cab. Just as I was about to do so, a silver car pulled up right in front of me, I squinted my eyes as the lights were too bright and I could make out the BMW logo on the car. I tried to make out who was driving the car but the windows were heavily tinted I could see nothing but my reflection.

 

The tinted windows were then rolled down and there was a full view of Jinki, with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the buttons. Tilting his head, he asked, "Hey, do you need a ride?"

 

"I am fine, I am waiting for the bus."

 

"I think the buses are out of service and there are hardly any cabs here, just get in! I will send you back!" He scratched his head and smiled awkwardly.

 

"No, I do not want to trouble..."

 

"Ya, Kim Kibum, I think I forgot how stubborn you are and you need some threats huh! Do you want to get in or do you want me to carry you in?" Onew pretended to be stern and I gave up trying to reject his offer.

 

I sighed and pulled open the car door and sat on the passenger seat. 

 

"Now that's better. So tell me where you stay?" Onew smiled and he looked a little relieved that I took up his offer. I would think that he didn't want me to be alone in that quiet place, but I would rather think otherwise.

 

The rest of the car trip was silent except for the melodious piece that was playing from the radio. 

 

The car turned into a familiar neighbourhood after 15 minutes. "Just turn right at the first turn and go straight." I spoke, directing him to my house. He hummed and followed my directions.

 

The car pulled to a stop and I turned around to thank him. As I turned around, I finally got to look at his facial features properly after three years. The moonlight that seeped into the car, helped to enhance his features as well. He was literally breath-taking and I found myself not being able to get anything out of my mouth. 

 

"You changed your number?" He asked. 

 

"Oh yeah. I did." I said and was surprised he didn't ask me anything else other than that. I thought he would ask about the last text I sent him. But then again, it might not have been sent out since I probably took the card out before it was completely sent out. 

 

"Hmm. How have you been? Since I haven't been able to contact you, as a friend, I should be concerned, right?" He smiled meekly.

 

"As a friend, yeah." I mumbled. 

 

"Hmm? You said something?" 

 

"Nothing! Just said that I am well and good. How about you?" 

 

"Good too! Oh remember how I told you that I am interested in law? I landed myself a job at the law firm as a lawyer!"

 

"Oh my god! You are kidding!" I replied, laughing heartily for the first time in 3 years. It felt good to be talking to him again and not having to act like someone I am not around him. We spent about an hour catching up on the things about one another. 

 

"Time really flies! It's one already and I think you need to go to work tomorrow?" 

 

"Oh yeah! I do. Sigh. I would love to stay here and talk to you more but I have to go! If not I don't think I would be able to wake up tomorrow!" I sighed, "it was nice talking to you though. I will leave you with my number and we can go out for lunch one day!" I said as I took a piece of paper and wrote down my number before giving it to him.

 

"Thank you for the ride home!" I smiled and got ready to go out before I felt a hand grabbing my wrist.

 

"That last text, did you mean it?"

 

My eyes widened at the mention of the embarrassing message. So he did receive and he remembered.

 

"What text? Haha I can't remember."

 

"Don’t try to lie to me Kibum. You tensed up when I talked about the text. Do you really think I didn't notice that?" He looked at me sternly and I looked away.

 

I guess there was no use denying and I decided to be frank.

 

"Oh about that, yeah uhm, I meant it." I stared into his soft and brown eyes, "but does it really matter now? You have a girlfriend and you are probably already preparing for a family. It doesn't matter anymore, Jinki, it just doesn't."

 

Before I knew it, I was pulled into an embrace.

 

"It does matter. Of course it does. Don't you want to know my reply?" He spoke as he rested his chin on my shoulder.

 

I nodded his head and stayed silent, waiting for his response.

 

"'What if I said that I like you? What if I told you I felt the same way as you did?' Was what I sent you but I never got a reply. Kibum, we've dragged this for too long, for the past two years, you never once left my mind. I tried having girlfriends, but everytime I get together with them, I end up comparing you to them. And it turned out that every other girl out there is inferior to you. Realisation then hit me that what I have been looking for has always been you. Kibum, would you be my boyfriend?"

 

I nodded and tears pooled at the edge of my eyes.

 

"Silly boy why are you crying? It's a happy occasion." Jinki brought his large hands up to cup my face and used his thumb pads to wipe the tears off.

 

"I've always dreamt of this day, I can't believe it's true." I said as tears began pooling again. Jinki brought his hands to my back and lightly pushed me into his arms before engulfing me into a hug.

 

It’ll all be alright when you’re in my arms.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~

And with this, the story is completed! Thank you so much for commenting and subscribing! Do leave your footprints below and tell me how you feel about this fic! ^^ See you next time!