Part 3

Applause and Autographs

Minho finally read through Kibum's texts once he'd parked in the apartment complex parking lot. Each one of them was about how Kibum wanted him to come home because their door was locked, ranging from pleasepleaseplease to There's a woman with more muscle mass than me coming straight towards me I think I'm getting mugged to I swear to god if you don't get here in five minutes you're being castrated in your sleep.

Exiting his vehicle and bracing himself to find an extremely angry Kibum outside their door, Minho took his keys out of his pocket and held them up in self defense as he approached their door. Suprisingly though, it was empty on their floor, a sticky note on the door saying

I'm going to Woohyun's. You . --Kibum

Laughing to himself, Minho unlocked the door and stepped inside.

 

A good amount of time passed before Jonghyun even got in contact with him again, in a week or two with the text I'm tired.

Minho smiled sympathetically, sending an encouraging message back. Jonghyun's next few messages were a bit of pawing and whining at him before he asked 

From: Jonghyun
You free next weekend?

To: Jonghyun
I think so, are you?

From: Jonghyun
Well, my company is having a party, and it would be nice if you could come. If you want.

A party at SM Entertainment? Was Jonghyun being serious? Minho looked into the kitchen, where Kibum was and sighed. His friend was still put out about being forgotten, and going to a party without him would only worsen the situation, no matter how much Minho wanted to go.

To: Jonghyun
I will, on one condition. Can I bring a friend?

From: Jonghyun
Of course!

 

"We're doing what? And you're just telling me this now?!"

It was a day before the company party, and Minho had more or less completely forgotten to tell Kibum. Instead of being happily excited, his friend was beyond shocked and turning pink in the face.

"Yes...?"

Kibum looked torn between hugging him and killing him but he did neither, instead grabbing some car keys in one hand and Minho's wrist in the other. 

"Where are we going?" Minho asked.

"I'm buying you some socially acceptable clothes."

Minho would have protested but he was really in no position to do so, having to be dragged along. By the time Kibum was satisfied Minho was exhausted, and he was sure his new pants were at least a size too small.

"I look ridiculous."

"You look y. Don't argue with me."

"But--"

"Hush."

 

After getting a Just come in, I'll find you in the crowd text from Jonghyun, Minho and Kibum hesitantly entered the building. There were many large names and faces that Minho recognized, talking with each other and holding drinks, pausing when the two of them walked past and looking. It made Minho extremely uneasy.

"Kibum, they're all staring at us." Minho said quietly.

"Well, upon seeing you they're trying to decide whether to call pest control or the zoo." his friend responded reassuringly. "Don't worry, I had the same problem."

Minho threw him a look.

"Minho!" Someone shouted his name, causing them both to look around. A hand was seen poking from the crowd, and Minho couldn't help but laugh.

"That's Jonghyun, c'mon."

When they reached the idol he had a huge smile on his face, wrapping an arm around Minho's waist in greeting. Kibum raised an eyebrow--Minho ignored him, instead turning to Jonghyun and saying 

"You are short. All I could see was your hand."

"What?" was the whiny response. "I'm wearing insoles..." hand slipping into Minho's, Jonghyun pulled him over to a table, Kibum following behind.

"Jinki, Taemin, Jongin, this is the friend I was telling you about. Everyone, Minho. Minho, everyone."

Minho waved awkwardly and the three smiled, waving back. His side was elbowed sharply, making him cough and say

"This is my friend Kibum. Onew, he's a huge fan of yours."

Kibum's face got a bit pink at the extra information and he waved as well, and a huge smile grew on Onew's face.

Jonghyun slid into the bench across from the three already seated, gesturing for Minho and Kibum to take a seat as well. They all talked for a while, getting drinks, Minho having to nudge Kibum a few times to prevent obvious staring at the singer across the table. Finally though, conversation began to break apart--Onew leaned over the table to Kibum, making his eyes turn the size of dinner plates--and Taemin had an arm around Jongin, who Minho had recognized as the other backdancer from Onew's Inkigayo performance. There was a tap on his shoulder, making Minho's attention turn back to Jonghyun.

"I want to show you something." The older said, standing. They weren't really noticed as they left, Jonghyun smiling at a few people they passed as they exited the room, going up a flight of stairs and through another door. 

"Welcome to the roof." 

The night was slightly windy and warm, Minho hurrying over to the roof's railing and looking over.

"You can see all of the city." he remarked.

"It's nice, isn't it." Jonghyun stood next to him, leaning his forearms on the railing and looking at the sky, Minho becoming extremely aware of how alone they were. It wasn't the first time it had been just the two of them, obviously, but this felt more private than the empty park had, making his breath still in his chest. After a few moments of silence Jonghyun looked over at him, one eyebrow cocked and a light smile playing on his lips, making Minho flounder for something to say.

"...you look nice." 

Jonghyun laughed, giving him a surprised look. The idol did look nice though, in black pants and a white tank top with designs, red jacket removed and forgotten at the table inside. His earrings and white wind-tousled hair brought everything together into a package of perfection.

"I...thank you." Jonghyun looked him up and down, making Minho swallow nervously. "So do you."

Minho shrugged. "Kibum dressed me." he confessed "My pants are too small."

Jonghyun laughed. "Well, I like them." 

Not really sure how to respond to that, Minho instead said

"I hope Kibum doesn't get drunk."

"Really? Why?"

"Well," Minho sighed "First, he does really bad aegyo," he balled his hands into fists on either side of his face, pouting at Jonghyun to demonstrate and making him laugh "And then... Well, sometimes he takes off his clothes."

Jonghyun's eyes grew in concern. "Maybe we should..." 

"It takes a while for him to get to that stage, so it'll probably be okay."

Jonghyun gave him a doubftul look, but Minho pouted jokingly at him again, and his eyes disappeared into crescents. They stilled into a comfortable silence, looking out at the city below, until Minho decided to finally ask what had been on his mind for weeks.

"Why did you write your number down for me, really? It can't have just been 'I'm curious'."

"And why not?" Jonghyun asked back.

"Idols don't just do that. What if I'd given the number out to the internet or something, instead?"

"I was willing to risk it for a tall, cute fan that I wanted to..." 

"Wanted to what?"

"Your lips--never mind." They were facing each other now, and Minho had both of his eyebrows raised, Jonghyun briefly searching his eyes before stepping forward and kissing him. Jonghyun's lips were gentle, firm, perfect, and just about everything Minho could have imagined, sending sparks down to his fingertips. 

...wanted to snag a kiss from.

Jonghyun was slightly pink in the face, looking right at Minho as he took a step back, waiting for some sort of response. There was no hope at all of Minho saying something, as even his knees were failing him, a few of Jonghyun's previous words floating to mind.

"It's alright, just don't miss next time."

Minho cupped Jonghyun's face with both hands, stepping up and kissing him. Jonghyun gripped his shirt, pulling him even closer, and it took a moment for the weight of everything that was happening to really fall on Minho's shoulders, making him slowly draw back. Jonghyun pressed closer for a second before letting him go.

"You alright?" Jonghyun seemed a little amused as he looked at Minho.

"Yeah, I..." his words died in his throat when he looked at Jonghyun, bathed in moonlight and beaming at him. The older tangled their fingers together, getting up on his tiptoes and kissing the top of Minho's nose. 

There was the click of a cell phone camera and the two whirled around to see Onew and Kibum, partners in crime, both holding up their phones.

"Now that's a cute picture." Kibum said with a nod. Minho flushed pink, Jonghyun letting one of his hands go and taking a menacing step toward the two, causing them to scatter back down the stairs.

"Now that they have pictures of us, I think that means you have to date me." Minho said teasingly.

"Oh really?" Jonghyun raised his eyebrows, stepping closer to him. "Is that a new rule?"

"Mmhm." Minho grinned, re-entwining Jonghyun's hand with his. 

"Fine then." Jonghyun smiled. "I will."