Chapter 11

I Don't Know (IDK)

 

 

Taeyeon was close to suffocating herself with her dookong that night. It was close to midnight, way pass her bedtime, but her sister’s giggles and loud gasping is keeping her awake at the wee hours.

 

 

***

 

 

Taeyeon didn’t bother to knock or wait for an invitation. She storms in the kkuma addict’s room, making sure her sister KNOWS she meant business. She caught her kid sister wrap like a big baby in a Rilakkuma blanket, giggling like an idiot in front of laptop.

 

“Yoona… turn off your laptop and go to sleep.”

 

 “B-but… but… Onee-chan...”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes narrowed to slits. Her sister is watching too much anime, her brain is being reduced to a pulp and starting to talk like one of those moe moe Kyun girls.

 

“No buts! You have classes tomorrow. You can’t skip it just cause you didn’t get any sleep.”

 

“But it’s getting good! The storyline reminds me so much of me and my Yurrrriii.”

 

Yoona’s eyes sparkle at the simple thought of her lovey. Unfortunately, her sister was too sleepy and annoyed to spaz along with her.

 

“NO! And that’s final!”

 

Yoona was ready to retaliate, but she haven’t even said a word and her unnie already slams the door on her.

 

At 2:46 A.M

 

Taeyeon could still hear the giggles…

 

And she’s putting an end to all this giggling…

 

She slowly turns the doorknob to Yoona’s room, peeking in slowly and what do you know? Yoona was still in front of her laptop.

 

“GO TO SLEEEEEEPPPPPP!!!!!”

 

Yoona squealed loudly in shock after getting caught red handed. The smart girl that she is, hurriedly scramble underneath the sheets and put on the sleeping act show.

 

At 4:36 am…

 

Taeyeon wakes up as she hears her sister just screaming.

 

“Kiss… kiss…kiss…”

 

The elder sister just raised her arms in surrender. Her sister would obviously do what she wants to do.

 

***

 

6:18 am

 

Taeyeon does her routine check of her sister’s room. She finally sighs in relief as she sees her sister curled up in bed, clutching tightly to her brown bear. Sometimes Taeyeon forgets that no matter how ladylike Yoona looks, she’s still a big baby.

 

She should really shake the other girl to get up, punish her for sleeping late. But she decided to let the girl sleep in a bit, making her more comfortable by tucking her under the covers.

 

Up close, she could hear her sister mumbling Yuri’s name happily.

 

Kwon Yuri… that girl is both in her sister’s dreams and reality.

 

7: 54

 

“OMO! I’M LATE!!!!”

 

***

 

8: 00

 

“You should ask if they have yoga moves for faces, Yul.”

 

Yuri just continued to shut the world around her that morning, including Sooyoung who plops on the seat beside her.

 

 “My frown is my facial exercise. Do you know that it takes more muscles to frown than smile?”

 

Sooyoung just sighs in surrender. It was no use arguing with an already pissed off Yuri.

 

“Whatever…”

 

The long legged girl heard her bestfriend mutter that word angrily after Yuri checks her phone message.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing…”

 

There was something but Yuri doesn’t know who to blame for her bad mood. Is it because she’s naturally not a morning person? Or is it because the thought of not seeing Yoona irritated her?

 

It was kind of funny for Sooyoung, that no matter how hard Yuri mask her emotions, she’s quite transparent. Yuri’s entire feelings are laid out for everyone to pick on and decipher.

 

“Oh okay…”

 

***

 

11:40

 

“YURI- CHAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!”

 

And among the flood of students flowing out into the hallways, one stood out for Yuri. There was Yoona, squeezing and dodging people just to get to her girl.

 

“Good morning girlfriend.”

 

Yuri could hear her friends snickering at Yoona’s nickname at her.

 

“We’ll go ahead… see you in the cafeteria, Yul, Yoona.”

 

Her three friends were nice enough to give her some alone time with the choding.

 

Yoona was still struggling to open her eyes that morning. She slept around 5 watching anime. If this was the old her, she would have skipped school and just sleep. But she could guess that was the effect of Yuri. Yoona became more aware, if she could put that way, about taking charge of her responsibilities.

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t pick you up, actually I did went over to your house but you left already.”

 

Yuri answers Yoona with her signature growl. Whatever it is something was pissing off Yuri that morning.

 

Yoona backs away from the pissed girl. Was it just her dream that Yuri said those three words? Or maybe it’s that time of the month for Yuri that’s why she’s a meanie now?

 

“Why are you so sleepy?”

 

“I was marathoning this anime series. It was super duper awesome that I couldn’t stop… I fell asleep around 6 and I still have a few more episodes to go…”

 

“So, you stayed up until dawn to watch anime, while you can’t even stay awake for 5 minutes reading your notes?”

 

Yoona shakes her head with the way Kwon Yuri thinks. How can she even put in the same category something as boring as school with something as super duper awesome as anime?

 

“Those are two very different things.”

 

“They are. But one of them is more important.”

 

It didn’t take much time for Yoona to know which one was more important.

 

“Hmmm… my happiness is most important.”

 

Yuri just ended up heaving a huge sigh at Yoona’s answer. Somehow she knew that was all she could get from the girl.

 

“Are we heading for lunch?”

 

“Yes… we are…”

 

Yoona takes Yuri’s arm and let it wrap around her own.

 

“Then, let’s go…”

 

***

 

“More rice please.”

 

Tiffany thought Sooyoung turns into elastagirl as her arms just stretches out to reach for the rice bowl.

 

“Like they say, no rice, no life…”

 

Sooyoung happily digs in to her bowl before realizing it was eerily quiet in their table right now.

 

Tiffany was busy admiring her reflection on the spoon.

 

And Hyoyeon? The evil genius looks pretty normal for once. The girl was quiet, her whole focus was on her phone.

 

“What you reading Hyo?”

 

“I’m reading fanfics.”

 

Sooyoung presses her cheek on the palm of her hand, before letting out a lovelorn sigh.

 

“You know everytime I read a fanfic, it just makes me want to work in a coffeeshop.”

 

Hyoyeon finally tears her eyes away from her phone screen.

 

“I know, right? It’s like everybody works in a coffeeshop, owns a coffeeshop or meet in a coffeeshop.”

 

“I should start working in a coffeeshop.”

 

Tiffany let out a knowing snort…

 

“I feel bad for the place, they will probably go bankrupt with you eating everything.”  Tiffany points out.

 

“Why you lil!!!”

 

“Hiiiiiiiii!!!!!!”

 

Yoona and Yuri joins their table at the right time, right before Sooyoung punches Tiffany’s face.

 

“Hey Yoong- girl!!!”

 

Yuri snaps a stern gaze towards Hyoyeon’s direction. She didn’t like the thought of other people calling Yoona, Yoong when she herself doesn’t call the girl that.

 

“Hi unnirs…”
 

“Hello cutie…”

 

Yuri wonders why her friends are purposely trying to get under her skin. But Yoona’s too obsess with Yuri to really notice anybody else. She even made sure she pulls out a chair for Yuri before joining the table.

 

“Stop that…” Yuri hisses at them.

 

“I didn’t get to pack my lunch… So, I’ll just…”

 

Yuri could already imagine the calorie loaded, fattening lunch Yoona is going to buy.

 

“No… you’re sharing lunch with me.”

 

“What?”

 

“I got some veggie sandwich here and some carrot sticks.” Yuri fixes the lunch and offers the other half of her veggie sandwich to Yoona.

 

Yuri seems to be the only one who’s oblivious of how pale Yoona became. The three other girls could see Yoona practically squirming out of her chair, as if she’s ready to fly out of there.

 

“It’s not that bad Yoona… This carrot stick taste like a chip only healthier.”

 

“THAT’S A LIE!!!” Sooyoung screams out “Yoona! Trust me! Yuri tried that line with me in kindergarten… and never again… never again will I trust your food comparisons Kwon Yuri…”

 

“You are too dramatic sometimes, do you know that?”

 

“It’s okay unnie…” Yoona waves her hand, hoping to settle the tension.  “If Yuri says it taste like chips, it probably does…”

 

Yoona without any hesitation bites into the carrot.

 

“Mmmm… crunchy…”

 

The frown in Yuri’s face softly turns into a gentle smile.

 

“See? Not all healthy food taste bad.”

 

Yoona smiles proudly, looking like a happy rabbit nibbling on a carrot. Sooyoung on the other hand, just shakes her head in disbelief and disappointment. Yoona pried open the sandwich and couldn’t understand what kind of a sandwich it was.

 

The question now stands… Why is there no meat on the sandwich?

 

“You watch anime, right?”

 

Yoona’s eyes beamed at the magical word… anime…

 

“Yes… yes… I do… I just discovered this anime… Maria-sama ga miteru and marathon it last night…”

 

Hyoyeon’s fork clash down on her plate, her eyes widened in surprise.

 

 “Don’t you know how happy you made me right now, Yoong?”

 

Hyoyeon could feel her cold heart, slowly melting.

 

“There’s nobody in this world that I know who watches it. But now I have somebody to spaz with… who’s your OTP?”

 

“Yoonyul…” Yoona answers flatly while toying with Yuri’s sleeve.

 

“No… like in the show?”

 

“Sachiko and Yumi of course…”

 

 “What?”

 

Hyoyeon was left stammering. It scared her friends that she was having a or something. But the only reason for Hyoyeon’s trembling is finally finding someone she could relate all her Marimite OTP feels.

 

“THAT’S MY FUC*ING SHIPPPPPP!!!!!!”

 

“Oh yes…”

 

After Sooyoung wolfs down her lunch, she joins Yoona and Hyoyeon in spazzing over anime ships and games. And Yuri couldn’t do anything but listen in, she doesn’t know ship any pairings… Heck… She doesn’t even know any of the characters they mention.  And even if Yoona was right beside her, she felt like Yoona is worlds away.

 

Tiffany on the other hand, feels completely satisfied with being by herself and her reflection.

 

A part of her want to take Yoona away but she couldn’t be selfish, right? She knows she’s being immature right now, and the only way to push that aside is by pretending to study.

 

***

 

“Ummm… unnir?”

 

Taeyeon almost fell off her chair from the sight. Her sister was right there by her door, holding books… no… not those manga.. but books! That you used in school to learn. Books. Yoona. Learning. Those three words don’t seem to fit together.

 

“Yoong? What’s up?”

 

“I have a quiz tomorrow in bio… Can you please explain to me about the heart’s conduction system?”

 

Taeyeon wonders if all of this was a joke. But she took a good look at those doe eyes and there was no hint of a prank or a joke. It’s like her sister was finally trying to serious.

 

“Yoona?”

 

“Mmmm?”

 

“You’re studying?”

 

“Yup… Today at lunch, Yuri was eating while studying and I’m like whoah.. My girl is too serious… So, I want to prove to her that I could focus on school too.”

 

It made Taeyeon smiled to see her sister finally starting to try. And maybe there is one reason for all of this.

 

“I’m glad you meet someone who brings out the best in you.”

 

***

 

“You’re early today?”

 

Yuri greets the doe eyed girl with a soft smile as she saw her waiting.

 

“Yes… I don’t want it to be like yesterday…”

 

Yoona unconsciously reaches out to Yuri’s backpack and put it on her other shoulder.

 

“It feels so lonely walking without you…”

 

Yuri smiles softly, knowing exactly what Yoona meant.

 

“Hold on… I made you something…”

 

The sleepiness in Yoona just all went away. Her excitement just woke her up at the thought of Yuri getting her something. She got too excited that she starts bouncing off her feet, clapping like a circus seal.

 

The anticipation was too much for someone as impatient as Yoona. She could swore that Yuri was moving in slow mo as she pulls out something from her bag.

 

The moment she saw what Yuri’s surprise is, her eyes widen, her jaw drop to the ground. It wasn’t in happiness, but in pure horror.

 

“W-w-what’s that?” Yoona’s voice was creaking in fear as she sees the radioactive green slime inside the mug.

 

“It’s vegetable shake… I made it for you… It’s a good breakfast drink to keep you healthy and active throughout the day.”

 

Yuri sounded like one of those TV commercials that’s trying to convince you how it isn’t crap their selling, even if it’s still obvious that they’re selling e.

 

“I have one too…”

 

Yoona knows that she probably has no escape as Yuri cornered her with her own yucky drink.

 

“It’s like our couple drink…”

 

Yoona gulps loudly at that thought. Why can’t they choose something sweet like a milkshake as their couple drink? Why does it have to be something blech and yucky?

 

“W-what’s in it?” But Yoona quickly shakes her head “No… don’t bother…”

 

She realizes she have no intention of knowing what’s in this hideous drink.

 

“Aren’t you going to try it?”

 

Yuri asks Yoona who looks like she’s suffering in so much pain.

 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

 

The word no was on the tip of Yoona’s tongue, ready to be screamed out. But she bit her tongue to keep it from slipping. This was her y bear’s way of showing her love, she wants her to be healthy… Yup… that’s right… This is Yuri’s love in a mug.

 

“Of course… kekekeke…”

 

Maybe if I drink it too fast, I couldn’t taste it…

 

Yoona have never been this scared in her entire life. It’s as if she’s sipping some poison rather than some veggie drink. But she’s going to try… she loves Yuri too much to ignore Yuri’s effort like this.

 

OMO!!!! OMFG!!!! WTF IS THIS SHEET????!!!! KILL ME NOW JESUS!!! KILLL MEEEEE!!!!!

 

Those were the thoughts that were swirling inside Yoona’s head as she sips as hard and fast as she could. She could feel her eyes getting all watery at every drop of the shake that she forced to gulp down. The shaking doe eyed girl could feel a tear falling at every sip she takes.

 

“Did you like it?” Yuri was wearing her beaming smile as she sees Yoona finish it to the last drop. “W-wait are you crying?”

 

Yoona wipes a tear from all the torture and forces a weak smile.

 

“It’s ummm… sooo good… I have tears in my eyes. It-it-it’s tears of joy…”

 

“Really?”

 

“Uh- huh… uh-huh…” Yoona was about to shake her head, but caught herself before she did it and nods her head.

 

Yuri smiles happily, maybe this was the start of Yoona’s change for a healthy lifestyle. Yuri was pleased that she helped made a positive change in the girl.

 

“I’m soooo happy… You love it…”

 

And when Yoona saw how sweet Yuri’s smile is, she decided not to say anything. She’s willing to endure all the veggie shakes in this world if it makes Yuri smile that way.

 

***

 

After walking Yuri to class, Yoona spend the rest of her day thinking of her. In her history class, while she was dissecting the frog, and even in lunch.

 

 

Yoona didn’t see Yuri all morning and she missed the girl already. That’s why right after class, she hurriedly went to the theatre, smiling as she made it right on time for her girlfriend’s rehearsal.

 

Girlfriend…

 

That word made her giggle like an idiot somehow… and the thought of Yuri finally admitting it too, just put a whole new meaning to the word. It sounded sweeter.

 

Girlfriend… She was Yuri’s girlfriend.

 

Over by the stage, Tiffany wasn’t going to allow anything to stop her from reaching the spotlight. She device a foolproof plan where she can show the audience her perfection, even in a villainess role.

 

“Miss… I’m like thinking…” Tiffany makes her way to their teacher. “How about we put a little twist to the story?”

 

The teacher doesn’t even want to hear anything, but just sighs and give in knowing how demanding the girl is.

 

“What is it, Ms. Hwang?”

 

“You know how musicals are like the in thing now… Like you know… Les Miz and ummm… ahhh… like Dream high…” Tiffany couldn’t think of any other musical

 

“Dream high is not a musical.” Hyoyeon points out.

 

“Whatever… So, I was thinking how about we turn this into a musical?”

 

Hyoyeon raises her hand enthusiastically with the suggestion.

 

“I should sing Mirrors by Justin Timberlake if that’s the case.”

 

Hyoyeon was ready for the laughter, but instead everyone just watches her blankly… Nobody gets her joke…

 

“Because I’m a mirror? Get it? So, I will sing a song titled mirrors?”

 

There is nothing more annoying than people who can’t understand your awesome joke.

 

“Whatever…” Hyoyeon grumbles annoyingly.

 

All of sudden, the auditorium was filled with a booming laugh. Everyone looks around in confusion until they found the suspect, Yuri was a guffawing mess.

 

 ***

 

“Hi… You’re ready?”

 

Yoona bounce off the stands over to where Yuri is standing.

 

“I just want to rehearse a bit more since it’s just a week… you can go home if you want to…”

 

Yuri says out of politeness, although she didn’t want Yoona to go…

 

“No… it’s okay… I can wait…”

 

Yuri turns away, hoping to hide her obvious blush.

 

“YOONA!”

 

Yuri wished her disappointment wouldn’t be too obvious as her friends surrounded Yoona again. It was so easy for her to feel excluded… Like someone from the outside looking in…

 

She just chose to walk away from them and sat on the stage. She pretends to be engrossed on her script, but she couldn’t… not when she’s looking at Yoona laughing so hard with her friends. It was obvious, Yoona seem to fit better with her friends than with her.

 

“See you later Yul…”

 

Yuri just smiles softly at her friends as they went on ahead. Yoona skips happily towards her, jumping up on the stage to sit beside her.

 

Yoona was just contented playing with Yuri’s shirt, when she realize that something felt different. She expects Yuri to yell at her to be still, but instead Yuri just lets her play.

 

“Are you ok?”

 

Yoona finally asks, craning her neck to sneak a glance at Yuri’s face.

 

“Do you notice how different we two are?”

 

Yuri’s voice was softer than a mumble but Yoona heard it quite clearly.

 

“Ummm yes… it’s quite obvious.”

 

“It’s like you get along better with Hyoyeon and Sooyoung than you do with me… The games, anime, fanfics… I can’t…”

 

Yuri lowers her gaze to her lap, feeling shameful for sounding so selfish and immature.

 

“I can’t relate to any of that… and the things I like you don’t seem to enjoy…”

 

“I like you…”

 

Yuri raised her gaze and turns to the doe eyed girl beside her.

 

“What?”

 

“I like you because of you… not because you love to read books and eat cra- I mean healthy food.”

 

“Don’t you wish you could be with someone who likes anime and eat all this junk food with you?”

 

“No…” Yoona shakes her head “If I have a choice of some anime junk food eating lover and you… it’s no question I still choose you… Would you choose me though?”

 

“What?”

 

“If you meet a person who just eat veggies all day and read books on their free time?”

 

“Well… I will definitely enjoy their company…”

 

Yoona frowns at Yuri… But Yuri tilts her chin up, wiping away Yoona’s frown with a peck on the nose.

 

“But they could never make me laugh and smile and make my heart beat like crazy the way you do.”

 

Yoona starts to giggle, cuddling playfully on Yuri’s arm and rubbing her face in Yuri’s shoulder.

 

“Yoona?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I want to try the things that you like.”

 

Yoona grins happily at Yuri’s confession.

 

“I want to know why they make you happy… and I want to share it with you…”

 

“You too…  You too…” Yoona’s voice was muffled on Yuri’s shoulder. “I want to do the things that you do… Because you make my heart go lub dup, lub dup, lub dup…”

 

“Lub dup?”

 

“Yes… I learn that in biology class… Lub means when your heart contracts, and dup when the ventricles relax…”

 

The thought of Yoona starting to finally take care of the more important things made Yuri smile.

 

“Oh by the way I got you this…”

 

Yoona pulls out a folded paper from her notebook.  A smile brightens up Yuri’s face as she saw Yoona’s test paper with an A on it.

 

“This is awesome Yoona. I’m so proud of you.”

 

The gorgeous smile on Yuri’s face took Yoona’s breath away.

 

“Thanks… I…I…I…”

 

“You what?” Yuri asks teasingly…

 

“You deserve a girlfriend who works hard and give the best in everything she does. And I’m going to be that person for you. I’m going to be the best, not just in school but in everything. So that you can say proudly to people and everyone you know. That’s Im Yoona and she’s my girlfriend.”

 

Yuri smiles in return, before brushing the loose strands of hair that fell on Yoona’s face.

 

“You’re Im Yoona…” Yuri leans closely, pinching Yoona’s perfect nose. “You’re silly, you’re hyperactive, you love anime and stuff and you’re addicted to a teddy bear.”

 

Yuri let her script flutter to the floor as she chooses to hold on to Yoona instead. Yoona was getting tickled by Yuri’s nose playfully rubbing on her neck. She pressed feathery kisses slowly up Yoona’s neck, before she softly whispers in Yoona’s ear.

 

“You’re Im Yoona and you’re mine…”