Chapter 3

Someplace Old, Someone New

          British Literature wasn’t as bad as you had thought, it was actually pretty fun learning about what it was like, it was kind of like an English Literature class you took when you were in America. Also you had Ilhoon to explain a lot of the things you missed and it turns out it was a pretty fun class.

          Lunch was interesting, you left Ilhoon and went to sit with Minwoo who was a at a different table and you met a girl named Suzy and the two of you instantly clicked. It was weird, but you were really happy you made a new friend who was a girl on your first day. Aron had come up to you offering that you sit with them but you kindly rejected saying that you were having fun talking to Suzy and Minwoo but promised to sit with him tomorrow.

          During your spare, you and Minwoo had wandered the grounds while he gave you a grand tour of the school and now you were sitting in the middle of calculus class that you had with Aron and obviously he insisted you two sit next to each other.

          "Is it to hard for you?" he asked as the class worked on problems;

          "Ani" you say, "I was in calculus last year. I did a course which pushed me up a year. This goes here and this goes there right?" you ask referring to the worksheet.

          "Neh, then you move X here and divide by A and you have your answer" he replied writing it all down.

          "Yay I got it!" you say silently cheering.

          Aron only chuckled at you smiling. "Still the same Hyojin from five years ago"

          You only grinned at him, "But this Hyojin grew a brain" you tap your head and continue working on your problems and soon, you were done.

          You and Aron walked out of class together satisfied that the two of you managed to finish what was due for today. Of course you still had homework but at least the load wasn’t to heavy.

          "Hey, do you have a cell phone?" he asked suddenly as the two of you stopped at your locker where you met up with Minwoo.

          "Neh" you say, "Why?"

          "Let me have your number, so we can actually keep in touch this time" he gave you a small Aron like smile.

          "Sure" you handed your phone to him where he inputted his number and texted himself before handing it back to you.

          "Aron Buing Buing?" you ask reading the name he had put on your phone.

          He grinned at you making the *buing buing* motion with his fists and you and Minwoo laughed.

          "Ah  there Aron is" the three heard  Ilhoon say as he walked up with JR whose face had yet to change emotion. "We going to the café?"

          Aron nodded, "Neh, Minwoo-shi, Hyojin-shi, do you two want to join us?" causing people around you to stare once more. Aron and his friends never invited them to go to the café with them.

          "Ani" you rejected giving a sad smile, "Yong Guk Oppa's picking me up today" you say looking at your phone noticing the next from him stating that he was waiting already.

          "Ah jinja? Your brothers here in Korea?" Aron asked.

          You nod picking up your bag, "He's been here for at least five years"  you say then waved at them, "Bye Ilhoon, Minwoo, JR, Aron" and walked out of the school not noticing the glares some girls gave you. Especially three specific ones.

          "How was your first day of school?" Yong Guk asked as you got into the car.

          "Meh" you shrug, "I made a few guy friends and one girlfriend. That AP calc class you put me in is easy"

          "Cause you're a genius" he said chuckling, "But you still have tutor today"

          "Ah jinja Oppa" you said looking at him with disbelief.

          He nodded grinning, "You need to keep it up and get ahead"

          "Typical" you mutter crossing your arms.

          "Yah, you're lucky you only have tutor Mondays and Thursdays. I could be meaner and make you have it all week" he said looking at you from the corner of his eye. "Plus he's someone from your school"

          "Bwoh!?" you ask now looking at him with wide eyes, "Someone from SIS?"

          "Neh" Yong Guk said nodding, "He's in a few AP classes so I figured he'd be a good tutor. You'll be meeting him at a café near our place today. I'll take you there after dinner arasso? We're eatting with Uma and Apa"

          "Neh" you say sighing, wondering who your brother could have possibly roped into tutoring you. "Wait why do I need to be tutored?"

          "To get ahead in your classes. Don’t think of it as tutoring since you'll probably understand a lot of it, think of it as studying with a partner" Yong Guk said trying to reason. "Plus, he's not asking for much money so I think he's a good one." He parked the car at the apartment. "Lets go, bali bali, go shower and change then we're going to meet Uma and Apa to eat."

          "Neh!!" you say running into the apartment before him and going to take a nice deserving shower.

          You and Yong Guk met your parents at a restaurant a few hours later and they asked how your first day of school was. You replied that it was fun and that you had learned quite a few things on your first day. You also mention your partner and that you had run into Aron again.

          "Ah jinja? How is he? " Your Uma asked excited to hear that you two had run into each other again.

          "He's fine, we're in the same Biology and AP Calc class together" you reply poking at your rice.

          "He must be so handsome now" she gushed while your Yong Guk and your Apa looked at her weird.

          Breaking the awkward moment, Apa asked, "How are your classes?"

          "They're good Apa" you smile, "Oppa enrolled me in a bunch of AP classes, but it seems pretty easy. But he still has a tutor for me" you pout.

          "Yah, I said it was for you to get ahead" he smacked the back of your head.

          "Aish" you wince and rubbed your head. "Babo" you muttered causing you to get smacked again. "Yah!" you yell.

          Your parents laughed as Yong Guk stuck his tongue out at you.

          A few minutes later Yong Guk got up, "I need to drop Hyojin off at the café so she can meet with her tutor now"

          "Ah neh neh" your Uma said getting up as well, "Let me go pay"

          "Ani Ani" Yong Guk said waving his hand up, "I got it, we'll see you tomorrow at the house for dinner"

          "Ah I have such a wonderful son" your Uma said hugging Yong Guk then moved to kiss you on the cheek. "See you tomorrow"

          "Bye Uma, good night" you say before hugging your Apa and leaving with Yong Guk.

          Yong Guk dropped you off at the café and told you that it wasn’t that far from the apartment so you could just walk home after instead when you were done.

          "Ten is the latest you can come home arasso?"  he said from the car window.

          "Neh" you say holding your bag on your shoulder, "How will I know who he is?"

          "He said he'd recognize you so you don’t have to worry about it" he said and waved at you, "Ten oclock!" he yelled before driving off.

          You walk into the café which was actually pretty packed with students who were studying. It smelt of coffee and it had a really warm feeling to it. There were couches spread everywhere with tables and a few chairs and tables.     

          Looking around, your name was instantly called and you noticed that it was Ilhoon, one of Arons friends calling you over to where he was sitting on the couches near the window.

          "Annyeong!" he said smiling at you, he was wearing a grey star printed hoodie along with jeans and black Jeremy Scott shoes.

          "Annyeong Ilhoon-shi, what are you doing here?" you asked curious. Was he alone? Or was he with his friends? Was Aron around here?

          "Someone asked me to tutor their sister" he said holding up the AP Micro Economic book as well as AP chemistry. "Your brothers Yong Guk right?"

          "Neh" you reply nodding.

          "Guess you're my student" he grinned at you, "Take a seat"

          "Ah jinja?" you ask and tilted your head to the side, "Oppa asked you to tutor me?"

          "Neh" he said opening the AP micro economic book, "Or has he puts it, getting you ahead" he motioned for you to sit.

          "Ah," you say nodding and took a seat infront of him.

          "You want anything to drink before we get started? Coffee? A smoothie?" he asked getting ready to get up.

          "A peach smoothie sounds good" you say getting your wallet out before he put his hand up.

          "Don’t worry about it" he grinned before going to grab the drinks.

          A few minutes later, a pale yellow beverage was set infront of you, "Peach smoothie for the student" he said and set his own drink infront of him. "Shall we get started?"

          "Neh" you say opening the book, "I read over the text book earlier already since I got it from the teacher during my spare. It's majority stats, curves and formulas."

          "Exactly, so this is actually the work we did today" he said grabbing a few sheets out, "Lets study them to see if you understand the concept. You took an economics course before right?"

          You nod, "I took two before moving here"

          "That's good so you'll understand this" he wrote a few things down on the sheet and showed you.

          You nod, "Neh" you lean forward as he continued to write a few random things down.

          The two of you did an hour of Micro Economics before moving onto the Chemistry, oddly enough, Ilhoon had that class as well. The two of you worked out a few formulas and did some basic stuff that they had started off with that afternoon before deciding to call it a night.

          "Kamsamida Ilhoon-shi" you said bowing at him with a smile, "For helping me catch up"

          "Ani, it's fine" he said, "It's what your brother asked and I'm always down to help people."

          "That's great. I'm happy my tutors someone I know" you grin at him before walking out of the café.

          "So how are you getting home?" he asked as you started walking.

          "The apartments not to far from here. I should be able to get home in five minutes if I cut the park" you replied and continued walking as he followed you.

          "I'll walk you home" he offered, "It's dark and dangerous for a girl to be walking home alone  this late"

          "Ani," you decline nicely, "It's fine. I don’t want to cause you trouble."

          "No worries, my place is on the way" he said and you smiled nodding.

          "So before coming to Korea, where did you live?" he asked arms behind his head as the two of you walked through the park.

          "I lived in L.A  and attended private school for the first three years of high school before moving back. My Apa moved his headquarters from there back here so we had no choice but to follow" you replied arms wrapping around yourself looking up at the night sky.

          "Do you live with your parents? Cause when I met Yong Guk-Hyung, it seemed like he was in charge of everything. Like your schooling and where you lived and such things like that"  Ilhoon said.

          "Ani, I live with Yong Guk Oppa. My Apa has to travel quite a bit so Yong Guk figured take a load off of them and let him deal with me. I mean I like it because when I was in the states, Oppa was here dealing with this branch." you smile at the thought. "What about you? Whats your story?"

          Ilhoon shrugged, "My sisters a model, you actually met her..Suzy?, my Apa and my Uma are your typical Korean socialites. My Apa owns a law firm so I'm expected to take over in the future. I've been here my whole life but I attend the international school because of the english speaking courses. My Apa is planning to expand the company to America but I plan to stay here in Korea and live on my own"

          "So you don’t want to leave Korea?" Hyo Jin asked confused, normally people wanted to get away from Korea for a while.

          Ilhoon shook his head, " I want to travel, but I feel like I want to stay where my roots are. I don’t know" he laughed, "I guess its just me. I don’t really like starting new"

          Hyo Jin nodded understanding and looked up at her apartment. "Well I guess this is it"

          "Neh" Ilhoon said waving with a smile, "See you tomorrow. Good night"

          "Night" Hyojin said waving before closing the door.

          "Hmm, I wonder if she knows she lives in the same building as… "Ilhoon wondered to himself walking home which was only next door.