Chapter 7

The Mended Lid

Chapter 7: Irie’s POV

“Simon,” I blinked in surprise.

Our faces were mere centimeters apart, so close that I could feel his breath gently tickle my skin. My eyes flitted up and down, scanning his face as they took in his sun-kissed skin, well-sculpted jawline, delicate lips, sloped nose, and deep brown orbs. Perhaps it was because I first met him in a dimly lit club, but I never realized how attractive Simon was until now.

“Surprise seeing you here,” I said, being the first to break the silence.

“Likewise,” he grinned.

He was dressed smartly in a black button down and fitted jeans. The dark and clean-cut ensemble starkly contrasted with his hair, dyed a light blonde color and styled messily with his bangs pushed up and off to the side. That alone was enough to tell me that he was one of tonight’s guests. I didn’t remember seeing DMTN on the list though. He must be here by himself then.

“Petit fours,” a voice chirped suddenly.

A young server carrying a tray full of small, decorative cake squares was standing behind us with a sheepish smile on his face. Happy to see food, Simon quickly took one and sent him off with a thank you and a nod, before watching the kid shuffle away to serve other guests.

“Not a big fan of sweets?” Simon asked when he realized I didn’t take one as well.

“Not in particular,” I shrugged. “Plus, the food is for the guests.”

“Well, if I didn’t know any better, I would have assumed you were one of the models,” he said with a smile.

“Thank you,” I chuckled, flattered by his words.

“Have you eaten though?” he asked before taking a large bite of the cake. “Because if you haven’t, do you want to go get something to eat with me after this? I know a great noodle shop around here that I think you would like.”

"I get off kind of late," I said, in an attempt to quickly decline his invitation. 

As much as I wanted to take him up on the offer, I couldn't. It wouldn't be fair to make him wait up into the early hours of the morning for me to get off work, just so that I didn't have to dine alone after this was over. At the earliest, I'd be finishing at around midnight. But finishing at midnight would also mean that all of the guests left early or on time, something highly unlikely at any event. A better estimate of when I would be done would be closer to one or even two in the morning. He could be doing something far more useful in the same amount of time he'd spend waiting for me.

Plus, if I told Darren that I went out with another guy, one-on-one, he would not take it well at all.  

“That’s alright, I can wait. I don’t mind,” he replied.

“No, Simon you don’t need to,” I objected.

“It’s fine, really,” he reassured me with a smile. "I don't have any schedules for tomorrow. Really Irie, it's fine."

One flash of his pearly whites was all it took to finally get me to cave. Simon really doesn't take no for an answer, does he. 

Plus, it's not like Darren's going to be waiting up for me at home anyway. He's working late, again. And in all honesty, how was me having dinner with Simon any different form Darren going out and meeting up with his friends? It shouldn't be that big of an issue. 

“Just give me a call when you’re done. Let me give you my number," he said.

“Aeri!” I could hear a male voice yell out in the distance, right when I was about to hand my phone over to Simon so he could put his number in.

Groaning inwardly, I then turned my head towards the direction I heard my Korean name come from and saw Chulsoo, one of my colleagues, hurrying across the room with a panic-stricken look on his face.

“Is he alright?” Simon asked uneasily.

“He’s always like this,” I said while rolling my eyes.

“Aeri,” Chulsoo panted.        

“Chulsoo,” I returned with an exasperated sigh.

If he's going to ask me where the bathrooms were located again, I'm not going to be very happy with him.

“I need your help!” he exclaimed.

In an instant, all of the neighboring guests turned their attention towards Chulsoo, Simon, and I. Looks of disapproval and annoyance were starkly written on their faces, as if they were telling us pesky kids to quiet down because we were disturbing the peaceful party atmosphere. 

"I'm sorry," I said with a sheepish smile, as I bowed my head in apology, in an attempt to quickly defuse the awkward situation Chulsoo had put us all in.

It's at times like this that I wish I could crawl into a hole and stay there.

“Aeri, I need your help now!” Chulsoo continued to whine as he tugged at my wrist, thinking that it would make me move faster.

“I’ll be there soon,” I replied as calmly as I could, not wanting to attract attention towards us again. 

“Chulsoo,” I said, irritation beginning to edge my voice, as I wormed my forearm out of his grasp. “Calm down. Just head to the back, I’ll be there in a moment.”

He looked like he was going to say something else, but quickly shut his mouth the moment I glared at him. Silently, he retreated to the back of the store where all of the coordinators gathered throughout the event to touch base with each other. That boy is going to get an earful when I get back there. 

“Sorry about that Simon,” I apologized, mainly on the behalf of Chulsoo. “I should probably get back to work now.”

“Wait,” Simon said, stopping me in my tracks. “I never got your number.”

“Here,” I said, taking one of my business cards out of the holder on my phone case. “My number is the second one listed. The first one is my office number.”

“Thanks,” Simon smiled, taking the card from me with both hands. “I’ll send you a text. Call me when you’re done.”

“I will,” I smiled in return.