Chapter 3

The Mended Lid

Chapter 3: Simon’s POV

Out of all of the members, Daniel’s probably the most excited for the party tonight. To him, this party is more than a celebration of all of the hard work that he and the rest of the group have put into making DMTN’s first full-length album. It’s a celebration of his return to the music industry after being inactive for so long. And what makes tonight even more special for Daniel than it is for the rest of us, is the fact that his cousin is going to be there.

During his hiatus, the other members and I were always busy with either group or individual activities to the point where we just went to the dorms to sleep. And as much as we wanted to be there for him, with our schedules, it just wasn’t possible. Luckily, he had his cousin. She was the one who helped him get through the entire scandal and its aftermath. It must be so rewarding for him to finally be able to show her that with her support, he was able to overcome something like that.


The moment we stepped into the club, Daniel went off to go look for his cousin, who, apparently, was already there. From what I remember Daniel telling me back in the car, she’s an event planner. It was actually her company that Daniel insisted we ask to plan the party. I figured the only reason why he wanted her to do it was so that he could see her. But I have to say, I'm impressed. She captured the concept and feel of our album perfectly and she executed all of our ideas perfectly. She did a really great job. 

“Daniel, care to introduce us to your guest?” I heard Inati inquire suddenly.  

When I looked up to see whom Inati was talking about, my gaze fell upon a pair of eyes that I had never come across before. They were a wide, almond shape and a warm shade of brown like many others I had seen before. Yet there was something different about them that was so alluring, so captivating to me that I couldn't stop staring at them, no matter how hard I tried. 

“I was just about to,” Daniel replied.

The sound of his voice was what managed to bring me out of my trance, but even then I had to blink a couple of times to fully bring myself back. My heart was beating noticably stronger and faster than it was before and only when I let out a deep breath was when I realized that I had been holding it for all this time.

“Guys, this is my cousin Irie,” Daniel said, gesturing to the girl standing next to him. 

If Daniel hadn't said that they were cousins, I would have assumed that she was his girlfriend. They looked awfully coupley, standing there with their arms linked together, not to mention that she was exactly Daniel's type. Her facial features were soft and coupled with a petite and slender frame gave her the delicate, feminine look that Daniel was typically attracted to. In my experiences, women of that type often had meek and demure pesronalities. But she, she wasn't like that at all. She had this air of confidence surrounding her and a presence that commanded your attention, which made her that much more attractive.     

"Hello," she said, her voice surprisingly soft and sweet sounding, before bowing. “It's very nice to meet you all."

The corners of her full, rosy lips turned up into a smile, revealing two rows of pearly white teeth and a shallow dimple on her right cheek. As if it were even possible, she became even more beautiful, which set my heart racing even faster. 

“Will you be joining us tonight?” Inati asked hopefully.  

“As much as I'd love to, I can't," she chuckled. "I'm going to be busy working the entire night."

As if on cue, the phone Irie was holding in her hand began to ring. She immeidately looked down at the screen to see who it was before letting out a tired sigh and running a hand through her long hair.

“Sorry,” Irie said apologetically. “I'm going to have to take this. It was nice meeting you all and if I don’t see you guys later, have a great time tonight!”

“She’s cute,” Jisu mused after Irie had dismissed herself to go take the call.

So I guess I wasn’t the only one who thought that.

“Is she still single?” Inati wondered out loud.

"She's taken. Why? Do you guys like her or something?" Daniel teased. 

Of course she isn't single. Honestly, it would be more surprising if she was. Just the thought of me having a chance with her seemed unrealistic. 

“Oh and Inati hyung,” Daniel said. “She’s nine years younger than you.”

And that alone made Inati's chances of being with her even more unrealistic than mine.