Chapter 1

The Mended Lid

Chapter 1: Irie’s POV

“Hey babe,” Darren's voice played in my ear.

After listening to a string of voicemails from different vendors, having his voice come up so suddenly caught me slightly off guard. That was one of the complaints I had about using one phone for both my work and personal life. Although it was much more convenient, everything just got mixed up together, making it nearly impossible for me to keep those two aspects of my life separate.

As I listened to him ramble, I continued to review the notes that I had taken during all of my past meetings with Amorepacific Corporation. I was working with them to plan a launch event for one of their brands, Laneige. By our next meeting, I have to have an event budget prepared, which is easier said than done. After factoring in rental costs in addition to their various demands, we were already going over budget so unless they're willing to give me more money to work with, I'm going to have to figure out where I could cut some costs.

“I have this huge project to work on so I’m going to be home late tonight,” he said, bringing my focus back to the message. 

Another one? 

“I’ll be eating with the company tonight, so you don’t need to prepare me anything for dinner. Don’t stay up waiting for me, okay? Go to sleep,” he added. “Love you.”

I guess I'm spending tonight alone. Again.

It wasn't even that surprising that he called to tell me this. I knew that his work schedule was crazy. Ever since he got promoted he's had new projects coming at him from left and right, leaving him no choice but to put in more hours at the office. Most nights he comes home after I've gone to bed and leaves for work the next morning before I even get up. But even though I knew all of this, a part of me still hoped that when he calle, it was to tell me to wait for him to come home so we could eat dinner together. I just want to talk to him face to face instead of over text and hear his voice in person rather than a recording. Lately it feels like he's more of a roommate than he is my boyfriend and I miss him.  

Maybe I should visit him on my way home from work this evening. Then I'd at least be able to see him, even if it's only for a few minutes. Maybe I should bring him coffee and some of his favorite snacks too. Knowing Darren, he'll be hungry again a couple hours after he's eaten dinner and could probably use the caffeine boost to get him through the night. 

“Ms. Chae,” my boss called out, bringing me out of my thoughts.

“Yes?” I replied. 

She was standing in the doorway with a huge manila folder in her hands and judging from the slightly guilty look she had on her face, I already knew what she was going to say next. 

“I have a favor to ask you,” she said as she approached my desk.

She’s going to give me another project. I just know she is. 

“Yes?” I asked, urging her to continue, even though I already know what her next line is going to be.

“Would you be able to take over the 2works event?” she asked hopefully.

A big part of me wanted to say no, and for a good reason too. I just didn't have the time to take on another project. I was already swamped with work from the two that I already had – the Amorepacific event and the Calvin Klein event, which is coming up in a month. The 2works event is less than three weeks away. The only time I would have to work on it would be during my lunch breaks and in addition to the fact that I haven't been working on it since the very beginning, having me take on this third event will probably do more harm than good. But I knew how much my boss was stressed over finding another person to take over after the original project leader, Ms. Lee, had to go on medical leave. How could I possibly say no when she was that desperate? So, I caved and told her that I would do it.

“Great,” she beamed as she handed me the folder. “Thank you so much Ms. Chae.”

“No problem,” I reassured her with a small smile.  

Well, there go my lunch breaks for the next three weeks.