Five

Change

The lights were amazing.

 

 The school’s hall was very well-decorated and you can’t really say a single bad comment to it. It was as if a designer planned what to put it here and there. Everything looked magical.

 

 The tables and chairs were covered with black and red cloth, and so were the windows.

 

Girls were turned to ladies… The guys were turned to gentlemen.

 

 Everyone is a prince or a princess for this one night.

 

~.~.~

 

“Hika-chan…I’m breaking up with you…” Rin said in front of the comfort room mirror, practicing her line to say in front of Hikaru for later.

 

 It was hard for her, yes…But she HAD to do this. This is the best that she can do in order for him and their friends not to get hurt really badly.

 

 “What?!” Rin turned around, and was surprised to see Kim exit one of the cubicles. She obviously overheard her. “You’re gonna breakup with Hika-chan?? Doue??”

 

 Rin sighed. “I…I can’t do this any longer. I- I might be…gone soon. And I’m planning to drop out of school too.”

 

 Kim hugged her. “Can’t you stay a little longer?”

 

 “I…I want to but…” Rin blinked back tears. “…but I might not be able to.”

 

 Rin released the hug as she slightly pushed Kim. “Would you keep my condition a secret until I’m gone?”

 

“What? Why?!” Kim took a step back. “You’re leaving our friends without notification on your reason?!”

 

 “Baka Kim-chan! Of course I need to keep it a secret…” Rin chuckled half-heartedly, then her facial expression turned into a gloomy one. “I have to do this…”

 

 “Is there anything I can do to change your mind?”

 

 Rin shook her head. “Gomen…”

 

 ~.~.~

 

 About fifteen minutes after dinner was finished by the students, they were all asked to stand up from their seats and dance the person they would like to dance.

 

 Of course…Hikaru approached Rin…

 

 “May I?” he smiled at her as he held out his hand for her to take. Rin took his hand.

 

 “Your hand is cold.” Hikaru noticed as they swayed together. He kept on saying this and that…however, Rin did not notice at all that he was talking.

 

 “Oi…” Hikaru said as he stopped slow dancing with Rin, and this was just enough to gain the girl’s attention.

 

 “Hai?!” Rin blinked attentively.

 

 “You don’t seem yourself.” Hikaru replied. “If you’re still thinking about yesterday, me bugging you on what’s your problem, please don’t say it now… I know you told me to wait until tonight but if you’re just going to tell me some bad news please don’t say that to me right no—”

 

 “Hika-chan, I’m breaking up with you.”

 

                                                >>flashback end<<

 

 

 Hikaru sat on the waiting area with a styrofoam cup of coffee in his hand. He never really needed the coffee. A nurse just handed it to him, thinking that he won’t be able to not sleep without the coffee. But the truth is, give him coffee or not, he will be able to stay up late into the dawn of the next morning. He can even stay awake until the doctor gives him news about Rin’s current condition.

 

 He can clearly see the lights from buildings through the hospital’s large glass window. It would have been beautiful and romantic if only he was with Rin…if only they weren’t in the hospital…if only she didn’t collapse earlier.

 

Minutes later, the doctor came out of the emergency room and Hikaru abruptly stood up from where he was sitting and immediately approached the doctor.

 

“How is she??” he asked with a worried tone.

 

 The doctor sighed. And then pulled off a smile. “She’s fine…she’s one strong woman…”

 

                                >>flashback agaaainnn~~<<

 

“…Gomen ne…” Rin continued.

 

Hikaru looked at her. Shock evident in his eyes.

 

 “Why?? Did I do anything wrong to you?? Tell me… I..I’ll change!!” Hikaru  said, begging Rin.

 

 Rin bit her lip. “I’m so sorry…”

 

 There. She already broke up with him. And now she will have to go to the school’s principal to give her drop out letter. She hates to do this but she has to. Yes, her life has been a whole lot more meaningful and enjoying these past two months. She studied well and earned high grades, she gained more friends, her school life became more colorful because she did what she wanted to do. It’s weird to say this but, it’s like her disease has been a gift to her, but also a curse at the same time. A gift because it made her do what she wanted to, go to the places where she wanted to go, it made her confess to the guy she loves, and everything she did is not a waste of time. A curse…because no matter how she enjoyed life…she has to leave it.

 

 Because of this disease…her life changed. How she had wished she had done the things she wanted before. But still… she is quite thankful because her current condition made her realize how life could be fun and enjoyable…

 

 “It’s okay…” Hikaru said.

 

 “What?” Rin didn’t expect that. Their friends were now watching them, Kim and Kei were the closest to them, and they were now both approaching them.

 

 Then… Each and everyone of their friends approached her.

 

 “We know about it…” Fai said. Everyone else nodded.

 

 “Rin-chan..you’re an absolute troll for not telling us!” Hanna said. This was just enough to make Rin break into tears.

 

 “BAKA! DON’T CRY!” Hikaru shouted.

 

 Wait…….. WHAT?

 

 “HA?” Rin looked at him.

 

 “Your mother raised your allowance two months ago, right?” Kei stepped forward as he delivered out his oh-so random-inspired question. But it was true.

 

 “How did you kno—” Rin’s sentence was cut short.

 

 “Because we told her to do so. Your allowance raise was just enough for you to buy your medicine…” Kim said plainly, as if explaining something to a mere child.

 

 “Wait…my mother knows about this?!” Rin exclaimed.

 

 “Even your dad.”

 

 “And he didn’t come home…” Rin’s tears flowed to her cheeks. Yes, her dad’s promise wasn’t fulfilled. He said he won’t be coming home due to work problems.

 

 “Daijobu~” Hikaru patted her head.

 

 “HOW CAN IT BE OKA—”

 

 Rin felt Hikaru’s warm lips brush against hers. And it made her stop talking. Of course.

 

 Once Hikaru pulled back, he hugged her, and whispered something to her ear. “Rin-chan…”

 

 3…

 

 

 

2….

 

 

1….

 

 “…YOU’VE BEEN TROLLED.”

 

Just then, a something was flashed on the hall’s screen, and it said: “CONGRATULATIONS KITAGAWA RIN, YOU HAVE NOW REACHED THE END OF YOUR DISEASE!!”

 

 “WHAT THE F*** DOES THIS MEAN!?” Rin angrily looked at all her friends one by one, as if giving them a death glare each.

 

 “Rin-chan, the truth is…” Kei spoke. “You’ve been taking FOOD SUPPLEMENTS for three months now.”

 

 “WHAT????”

 

 “Those aren’t pain killers.” Kim said.

 

 “EHHHH???”

 

 Her friends broke off into wild laughter.

 

 “Oi minna!!” Rin protested. “What’s the meaning of all of this?!”

 

 “You needed the push, Rin-chan.” Kim smiled at her. “You wouldn’t reveal your true self and you wouldn’t have confessed to Hika-chan if we didn’t pressure you.”

 

 Kei took a step closer to her. “Remember that day when Kim-chan and I promised you that we will help you to get Hikaru to like you?” he grinned.

 

 “USOOOOO!!!!”

 

 “Oh and by the way, your doctor is my uncle.” Kei added.

 

                                                                >>flashback end<<

 

 

“She’s fine…she’s one strong woman.” The doctor said. And then smiled. “And your baby is safe too.”

 

>>END<<