'It was not a mistake'

Helplessly Fallen

When Jin woke up, the sun was already high. The sky was blue and the bird chirped gaily. He stared outside the window through his sleepy eyes, and then at Yoobin who was still sleeping peacefully on her bed.

Jin sighed. He looked at the sky again.

“The weather is really good today.” He said to himself. Slowly, a small smile crept on his lips.

He climbed onto the bed and sat next to Yoobin.

“Noona,” Jin gently shook Yoobin. The girl simply turned to her other side and let out some mumbled sounds.

“Noona, wake up. It’s eleven already.”

“What do you want?” Yoobin slowly opened her eyes, frowning. Her voice were still gruff and raw from sleep.

“Noona, the weather is really good today.”

“So?”

“Let’s go on a picnic.”

“I have a meeting this afternoon.”

“Let’s go after that.”

“I don’t know. I’ll think about it.”

“Yay!”

With that, Jin jumped off the bed and ran to the kitchen. He had a lot that he wanted to bring on their picnic, all planned in his mind. He had to make them fast. Kimbab was a must. There was also fruit jello and chicken teriyaki wraps. Yoobin noona would love them all.

 

-

 

JYPE Building
4.00 p.m.

 

The meeting for Yoobin's solo album concept and various scheduling was finally over. After she left the meeting room, Yoobin realized that she received a message from Junghyun half an hour ago.

Can we meet? I need to talk to you.

"Oh, no. It's from Junghyun."

Yoobin called him right away, telling him that she had just finished a meeting. She told him that she could meet him but not for long because she had promised Jin a picnic. She asked him if he wanted to join them but he said that he was quite busy at the moment. Yoobin didn’t mind.

Before she stepped out of the building, she made sure to make herself look nicer; smoothed out her skirt, reapply her lip gloss and fluffed out her hair a bit. Junghyun was already waiting in his car outside the building since he was nearby already. She got into his car and he drove somewhere quiet. To her surprise, he drove her to her house. They both stayed in the car, parked at the residence carpark.

After he turned off the engine, Yoobin looked at him questioningly, almost innocently so. She did tell him that she can only see him briefly. She guessed she couldn't help it but expecting a surprise from him since she liked being with him so much.

"I have things to make clear to you," Junghyun said, clearing his throat.

"What is it about?"

"Last night. About last night."

"Oh." Yoobin lowered her gaze. She could feel her cheeks heated up, thinking about that kiss from last night.

“Yoobin, listen. It was a mistake."

That was unexpected. She couldn’t be sure what he was talking about, but there was this dark shadow looming over her conscience, telling her that she actually did.

"W-what was?" Honestly, she was scared to hear the answer.

"The kiss. That kiss was a mistake. I’m sorry."

Yoobin let silence filled up the space for a moment. "What are you talk-"

"I was just caught up in the moment. I don’t want you to misunderstand. I wasn't planning to get serious with you. I'm sorry."

"But why not?"

"I just think it won't work between us," he said each word carefully.

"Why? Do you hate me?"

"No, absolutely not. You’re an amazing girl. I’d date you anytime but… You’re a celebrity, and I… I don’t think I can ever get used to all the spotlights following you around. I… I'm sorry." Junghyun kept his gaze low, glued to the steering wheel.

"So it’s because I’m a celebrity?" Yoobin nodded in acknowledge. Her eyes were gleaming with tears already. Too many things crumbled down at the same time. She was embarrassed and hurt. She somehow felt betrayed as well. She didn’t think she would be able to keep composed for too long. “I didn’t know that being a celebrity was that bad,” Yoobin finished quickly and left the car.

Yoobin cried a little in the elevator ride, but wiped all tears clean. She arrived home with reddened eyes. She didn’t want Jin to see her crying; for various reasons. She guessed she also had to cancel that picnic with Jin. She felt sorry for him but she didn’t think she could go out and make it enjoyable for Jin at the time being.

“Jin, can we have that picnic tomorrow instead?” Yoobin spoke into the living room as she put down her handbag and plopped onto the sofa. She leaned her head back and massaged her temple.

“Jin? Do you hear me?” Yoobin opened her eyes and straightened her back again. She scanned around the room and even tried to peek into her bedroom. The door was closed so she couldn’t see what was inside.

“Jin, are you sleeping?” Yoobin got up and pushed open the door to her bedroom. To her surprise, everything was clean and in order. His mattress which was usually lying on the floor was not there.

“Jin, where are you?” Yoobin left her room and searched around the kitchen. She saw the stacked lunch box, neatly wrapped in a pink cloth. She undid the wrap and looked inside the box. There were a lot of food prepared. Her heart sank that she had to break it to him that the picnic was cancelled. Maybe she should go anyway? At least she could breathe the fresh air outside and forget about Junghyun.

Yoobin re-stack the boxes and wondered where the kid had gone. Suddenly, she noticed a small note slipped underneath the lunchbox.

Noona, it’s time for me to go. I’m sorry I couldn’t make it for the picnic. Please be happy. Goodbye!

Yoobin gripped the paper so hard that it was crumpled. She could feel her blood turned cold as panic began to possess her.

“Jin!” Yoobin called his name over and over again as she searched for him every inch of the house; the store room, her personal studio, the bathroom, the walk-in wardrobe. But he was nowhere to be found. The house was back to it’s origin; large and empty. Yoobin stood at the balcony with the note still crumpled inside her hand. The fact that Jin was really gone finally sunk in. Yoobin fell to the floor. She crossed her arms above her propped knees and buried her face there. Tears streamed down her face like running tap water.

No more fighting over her phone.

No more groceries together.

No more any of those bold, cheesy, yet comforting declaration of his love for her.

“Even you left me too.” Yoobin sobbed.

 

Jin sighed.

"Noona, I'm sorry." Jin muttered, his feet hanging off a deck at the Sky Headquarters. He was looking down, witnessing Yoobin breaking down to her lowest point. He didn’t mean to bring so much pain for her. Jin stared at the little notebook in his hand. It was a log book that all angels have. It automatically recorded their tasks and every activity. His last recorded activity was 'reviewing The Book of Fate'. That was when there was a sudden hitch in the system because of the bad weather, and how he was accidentally sent to Earth. The point was, he actually saw who Yoobin was fated with in the book. He didn’t remember it when he was on Earth, but he was able to remember now.

"Ah, I am so stupid!" Jin kicked the air below. Suddenly, someone knocked a fist onto his head.

"Ouch!" Jin looked up. His senior, Rin, was looking at him with mocked stern look. She was one of the few k-pop fans among the angels. Her personal favorite was 2pm's Chansung.

Rin took a seat next to Jin. "You really are an idiot."

Jin pouted. "What can I do? I don’t remember a thing when I was stranded on Earth"

"Even so, you don’t go around and play matchmaker."

Jin hung his head low. "I really shouldn’t have. I messed up with their timeline. They aren't supposed to progress that quickly. What should I do? Will they really be together?"

RIn shrugged, looking concerned over the sight of the poor girl sobbing alone at her house. Rin sighed.

"I can't tell. The higher-ups are working on fixing those errors. I'm not sure if Yoobin unnie and that oppa will end up together."

"I hope they will," Jin said sadly.

"Me too. I totally 'ship' them together."

"What's that mean?" Jin asked, curious.

"Don’t you know? The k-pop fans said that when they like two people together."

Jin nodded. "I see. I 'ship' them together too."

 

-

 

2 weeks later.

 

Sometimes, Yoobin woke up and thought that she would find Jin sleeping like a cute puppy on the floor next to her bed. It took her a few days to completely acknowledge that Jin was no longer around. Even so, everytime she got home, she couldn’t help but saw his shadows running about her home. Him in the kitchen, rummaging through the fridge for M&M's and marshmellows. Or him sleeping at the sofa with the tv . She kept seeing him at every corner of her house. She busied herself more afterwards and spent less time at home. As for Junghyun, she avoided any communication with for the time being. She ignored his texts and avoided the place they spent time together because the thought of him made she hated herself. She had countless thoughts like 'If only I wasn’t a celebrity,' or 'If only I didn’t choose to be a celebrity.' In the end all that was left was her career.

It was the day for her music video recording. They went through the whole concept and storyboard yesterday and everyone agreed on the idea. Thus, the recording proceeded for today. After a short greeting with the production crews and the male model, they began recording. The set depicted white themed rooms; the bedroom, the kitchen and the living room, with broken and vintage furniture. Yoobin and the male model had to act out two contrasting scenes in each room. There were happy and and unhappy scenes. They had finished the happy scenes and it was time for the unhappy scenes. Yoobin had changed her attire to a tight fit, black dress.

Yoobin and her male model positioned themselves in the bedroom. Once the director cued them to start, both actors began to immerse into their characters. They had to improvise their own script to act out an argument. Their argument heated up. The male model gripped her arms and shook her furiously. Yoobin fought him off, but he was stronger. He let go of her as he threw her on the bed. Everyone on the set were mesmerized at their acting. When Yoobin began sobbing on the bed, everyone on the set got teary eyed too.

"Cut!" The director yelled. The male model immediately checked on Yoobin and gingerly helped her up.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry if I was too harsh on you"

Yoobin forced a smile. She was still overwhelmed with her feelings. "It's okay."

Just as she got on her feet, the whole set was shocked with a sudden loud slam of the door. The guy who slammed the door open looked as if he was taken aback by his own force as he slowly closed the door again. Yoobin's eyes widened as he realized that that guy was none other than Junghyun.

All eyes were set on him as he walked towards the set, but his eyes were glued on Yoobin since the beginning. His breathing was ragged as if he had been running. He stopped right before the bedroom set, where the raised platform of the set was.

"Kim Yoobin," he called out, his breathing finally calmed down.

"Who's he? Yoobin who is that guy? How did he get here?" The director asked, and repeated his questions to the staffs around him. None of them had the answer. Yoobin's manager and some of the staffs walked towards Junghyun, trying to stop him from interruoting the recording session.

Junghyun swallowed a large lump in his throat and ignored the people going after him. He stepped onto the raised platform and walked closer towards Yoobin. His eyes never leaving hers; looking determined than ever. Haeri, Yoobin's manager was already a step behind him.

"I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that you're unauthorized to be here so pleas-"

"Just give me five minutes," Junghyun simply cut her off.

Yoobin gave Haeri a look to give him a chance. She understood right away and signaled her back with her fingers, that she would only give them five minutes before she ran back to the director, asking for a five minutes break. Now that that was settled, Yoobin returned her attention to Junghyun.

"Kim Yoobin. Listen. I just want you to listen. You don’t have to say anything if you want so, okay, I'll start now. First of all, I'm sorry for the things I said on that day a week ago. When I look back, I was such an idiot and the biggest ever. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you being a celebrity. You're perfect as you are. Celebrity or not, for letting you go was the biggest mistake I had made. I don’t think there will ever be another girl who would appreciate me more than you did, who would put up with me being caught up in my job. It was so stupid of me that it took me this long to realize all of this. If I could go back in time, I would have taken back all those words. For not realizing how lucky of a bastard I am, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry Yoobin. If only you're willing to give me a second chance, I'll spend my lifetime to prove to you that I am not that bastard who said that kiss was a mistake."

Yoobin stood frozen at her spot, staring at him unblinking with unreadable expression. Junghyun’s self confidence slowly started to chip off. He nodded in understanding. All that was left was to leave quietly, but he couldn’t even do that when the security guards came rushing in. He did sort of raid into the building so the guards had been searching for him for a while.

The two large men strode towards him and had Junghyun apprehended. Junghyun lowered his head. It was humiliating, that he had to make his exit that way after the silent rejection.

“Wait!” Yoobin shouted and ran after them. Thankfully, the guards stopped to her request.

“Please le him go,” Yoobin asked gently to the guards. They looked at each other wonderingly, but complied to her request gain. Junghyun looked puzzled. He didn’t put too much hope though. Maybe she was simply saving him from the humiliation.

Yoobin looked at him with her large, sparkling eyes. All of a sudden, she let out a small laugh.

What? Why is she laughing? Junghyun totally had no idea.

"You really are an idiot." Yoobin told him and threw herself onto him. He reluctantly wrapped his arms around her. For a moment, he thought this was a dream, but it really was happening. To his pleasant surprise, the people around them gave them applause. That was when he realized that Yoobin and him were together now. All those torturing feelings that made him so anxious before had vanished into air. Junghyun let out a deep sigh, relieved in knowing that coming in here wasn’t a mistake.

“Thank god.” Junghyun smiled as he kissed the side of her head.             

 

-

 

About 2 weeks ago.

 

"Hyung!"

Junghyun barely opened his eyes. The room was dark, only his computer screen glowed, reflecting its soft light against the wall. He went to bed at around two in the morning, planning to take short nap only. He searched for his phone; afraid that he might have slept for hours instead. Junghyun heaved a relieved sight when he found out that it was only three in the morning.

"Hyung! Psst!"

Junghyun lookd at the other side of his bed and found Jin crouching on the floor against the bed edge.

"Holy sh- Jin! How did you get in here?!" Junghyun accidentally threw his phone out of shock.

"Are you sure about the things you told Yoobin noona?" Jin ignored Junghyun's inquiry and asked one of his own; because it was more important, of course.

"Am I dreaming or what?"

"Yoobin noona really likes you, you know? If you don’t take back your words fast, she'll move on and forget about you."

"Are you giving me advice on relationship now? I must be dreaming."

"I can’t be here for long but you and Yoobin noona are meant for each other. Imagine yourself with other girls, can you do that?"

"But, I…"

"I have to go now before I get busted!"

"Busted? By whom?"

Junghyun found himself waking up again. The room looked exactly the same as it was before he fell asleep, but there was no Jin. He looked at the clock on his phone, it was 3.02 in the morning, but there was a crack on the screen.