'Listen, beautiful.'

Helplessly Fallen

 

4 weeks later…

Yoobin attended the first day at the court, the hearing of the case against her ex that day. She was slightly nervous about going through the whole thing though she managed to stay positive in general. Afterall, all the things that her ex claimed were fake. He couldn’t possibly had solid proof to prove otherwise.

She had to keep her head level. No matter how bright her chance of winnings, the process she was required to undergo in a lawsuit could take a toll on emotions. With the whole nation paying interest in the progress, she had to share every little detail about her relationship with her ex in the court. She had to prove herself innocent even if that meant driving him off the cliff. Even if he was the ‘bad guy’ in this case, she had to step into the zone; to be just as heartless.

The event took almost her whole day. After struggling her way through persistent, inquiring media, with the help of her mangers and the agency, she was finally home.

It was only the first day and she already felt bruised and battered. Tomorrow would be the official proceeding.

Yoobin sighed. She threw her head back against the comfy sofa and began massaging her temples.

Just as she was about to close her eyes, she heard muffled sound of vibration. It was probably from her phone in her bag next to her.

To her surprise, it was from Junghyun.

“Hey.”

Yoobin smiled. Listening to his voice, surprisingly, made her feel better already.

“Hey.”

“I saw the news today.”

“Ugh,” Yoobin sighed. “You don’t have to, you know?” Yoobin told him mockingly.

He chuckled at the other line. For some reason, her mind immediately imagined the way he looked when he did so. He probably had one corner of his lips curving upwards and looked ridiculously cute that way.

“You didn’t look good. The eyebags look bad.”

“I had a packed schedule the day before. And because I was too anxious, I couldn’t get an eye shut.”

“It must have been hard. The whole lawsuit things and stuffs. Are you okay?”

“I’m just fine, thanks. How you’ve been doing?”

“Ah, I’ll be staying up late for my job tonight. Wanna hang out together? Release some stress?”

“Um…” Yoobin delayed her answer. Truthfully, she would love to see him but especially right now, the reporters’ eyes were much keener on her. “I don’t know-”

“Is that Junghyun hyung?!”

“Jin!” Yoobin turned around, surprised that the boy suddenly snatched her phone from her. As always, Jin ignored her and acted like nothing was going on, which totally got on her nerves.

“Yeah! Yeah! Oh, really?! Sure! See you there! Bye!” Jin spoke into the phone and then ended the call.

“What did you say to him?!” Yoobin kneeled on the sofa seat, scowling at the boy who simply grinned back at her.

“C’mon. You have to get ready to meet Junghyun hyung!”

“What?!”

 

“You know, I’ve tried this before, and it’s not bullet proof. If someone ever saw me doing this, I’ll be dead.” Yoobin spoke from behind her muffler, which was wrapped all over her neck, covering up to her nose; Jin’s idea of course.

Jin giggled. “It will work, trust me!”

They went around the apartment building and walked until they reached a small junction. There was a car parked at the curb and a guy leaning against the hood. As soon as he looked up, he waved his hand at them. Yoobin had to look back to make sure he was really waving at her. Yoobin had to squint her eyes to recognize his face since the street light was too dim for her to properly see him.

“Hyung!” Jin eavd back at him, almost a bit too frantically.

It was Junghyun. He straightened himself and waved again, specifically at Yoobin this time. He had a playful smile on his lips as he slightly tilted his head forward, as if asking her if she was going to wave at him back.

Yoobin couldn’t help but grin from behind her muffler.

 

As soon as Junghyun and Yoobin got into the car, Jin, who was standing outside the passenger’s seat, bent his knees and waved goodbye at her.

“Wait, aren’t you getting in?” Yoobin looked at him with surprised, questioning look.

“Why would I? It’s you guys’ date. Have fun!” Jin ran into the building again, giving them one large wave with both of his whole arms.

“So is this a date?” Yoobin turned to Junghyun, asking in disbelief. Junghyun laughed as he started the engine.

“I don’t have a problem with it if you want to put t that way.” Junghyun shrugged, still smiling handsomely even when he was focusing on his driving.

“Jin, that monkey!”

Junghyun laughed louder. “The kid has a way with words, isn’t he?”

 

To her delight, Junghyun took the car to Han river. It was quite a sight at late night. The city lights were reflected on the running water, like spilled paint on a black canvas. And then, Junhyung reached for a plastic bag from the back seat and took out its content.

“Here. Beer for you, and your favorite snacks.”

Yoobin’s eyes lit up to see her favorite food which can only be found from street food trucks.

“Wow, this is so good! Beer and fish cakes at Han river. What did I do to deserve this?” Yoobin blurted before she took a bite of the snack. Her reaction amused him so much Junghyun couldn’t stop laughing as he watched her ate.

“What? I’m starving! It’s been a long day!” Yoobin smiled and took another bite, filling up the space in her cheeks.

“Take it slowly,” Junghyun chuckled and then reached a piece of tissue from a tissue box. To her surprise, he dabbed the tissue at the corner of , wiping clean the smudged grease for her and then put the tissue in her hand.

Yoobin could feel her cheeks heated up. “T-Thanks.” She said, laughing sheepishly. “Also… Thank you for doing this for me. I appreciate it.”

“My pleasure.” Junghyun relaxed against the backrest. “I mean, I made a Wonder Girl happy. Doesn’t that equals to saving the nation or something?”

Yoobin laughed again.

The two continued to chat into the late night, exchanging stories of their careers, families and friends. Yoobin talked about her day at the court and confided to him that the whole thing was making her nervous. Junghyun comforted her with supportive words; just like the way he did once the news about her scandal broke out. He sent her home and walked her up to her doorstep. He gave her a comforting hug before she got inside. The feelings of his strong, warm arms around her helped her getting a deep sleep that night.

 

-

 

They met almost every night ever since then. Junghyun had spent sleepless nights for his current projects so he went to see her during his break, which was a pleasant breather for both of them. It had been a couple of weeks since the lawsuit and things had been siding with Yoobin. The court finally ruled Yoobin as innocent and the defendant guilty. Her fans rejoiced though the company still had to work a lot on her image which was tarnished since the scandal broke out. Yoobin herself couldn’t be too happy about it; she just sent a man to prison regardless what he had done to her.

Her managers, Minjae and Haeri suggested they went for a nice dinner all together, with the Wonder Girls member and Jin as well, but Yoobin declined. She sincerely told them to let her have some time alone. After the whole disaster, she was finally able to breathe again, and she needed time to be alone, to actually revive herself again.

Even though Jin was around, he knew when to leave her alone. She was feeling rather melancholic right then as she stared at the black sky over the window. Suddenly, she received a call. It was from Junghyun.

“Hey.”

“Hey.” Yoobin smiled. It was always god to hear his deep voice.

“I saw the news.”

Yoobin chuckled. “You’ve been following the news quite religiously these days. I thought you don’t pay attention to those things once you’re caught up with work?”

He chuckled. “Sorry. I’m just worried for you.”

“Do I still look bad?”

“Not at all. There were no eyebags, and the red lipstick looks good on you.”

“Thanks.”

“But you don’t look too good. I mean, you don’t look like you feel good.”

There was a brief pause as she took a deep breath. “Yeah. I don’t.”

“I’m nearby right now. Wanna meet up?”

“Sounds good.”

“Do you know any place other than Han river? It’s getting old,” he chuckled from behind his throat.

“Actually, I do.”

 

-

 

Rooftop garden,

JYP Entertainment building.

 

They leaned against the railing, looking out to the city.

“It’s finally over.” Yoobin sighed, smiling

“It is, huh?”

Yoobin nodded. “I would love to think ‘Yay, everything is over. I’m finally not causing trouble to people again.’ But things don’t work that way. The company is working hard to clean my image. And people still talk bad about my members too. Have you ever felt this way? Like you want to kick yourself?”

“I think so. Though it was more of a personal battle. You know, that doesn’t involve the whole nation reacting negatively and had the internet attacking me.”

Yoobin gave him a light punch in the arm. “I thought you were her to make me feel better?”

“Sorry,” he chuckled, “I understand you.”

Yoobin looked into his eyes, which were gently gazing back at her. She could tell that he was saying the truth.

“Nothing has really ends.”

“You’ll be fine.” Junghyun spoke, able to read her tangled up concerns inside her head. She must have felt horrible. After much struggling and sacrifices, things still weren’t sailing smoothly. Everyone around her were affected and trying their best to help her up, and yet she herself had very little that she could do to fix things up.

“You think?”

Junghyun nodded.

“I’m not that confident.”

“Why not? Tell me.”

Yoobin lowered her gaze. “I just feel horrible. I just sent a person to jail and yet things aren’t totally okay. I saw people talking bad about the Wonder Girls, about my members. They make fun of my friends and families. All I can do is watch.” She chuckled bitterly.

 Junghyun gentkly cupped her face and made her look at him. His thumbs moved back and forth against her smooth skin. It felt soothing, as if his caresses were meant for her heart.

“You’re not horrible. Not at all. Kim Yoobin, you are amazing and you’ll be fine. For a gorgeous girl like you, who could have whatever she wanted, you still prefer to be the girl who enjoys fishcakes. You could have your ex cut in two if you want to, and yet here you are worrying about sending him to jail.”

His words made her smile again. The part that she loved the most about him right now was the way he casted that gentle gaze on her. It made her feel special. Like she was so precious to him.

“For every people who talk bad about the Wonder Girls, you’ll gain a hundred more people who will love the Wonder Girls because you guys are beautiful people. Especially you, Kim Yoobin. You truly are beautiful.”

His words touched her deep. He wasn’t talking how she looked pretty in makeup and dresses. He was actually talking about the soul inside of her and she had never had anyone who complimented her that sincerely, not in her face, not from the many people she met in her circle.

He actually had reached her there, and stole her heart with his sincerity and kindness.

As if the stars in the sky had casted a magical spell on them both, they found themselves drawn to each other. Wordlessly, they leaned closer to each other and sealed the gap between them with their lips.