Knock Knock

NeukDae - Wolf Boy

 

“Get the couch!!!” Jiyong yelled, the panic consuming him in an instant. The knocks were getting louder and more frequent. Each and every one made the worry knot in his stomach grow an inch. It was just a matter of time until they would try and barge in, they had to be prepared.

“Seunghyun!! HYUNG!!” he pleaded desperately, not understanding what was taking him so long, the living room was just beyond the doorway.

As predicted, the front door started shaking ominously as they tried to break through it. Each thump louder than the next, Jiyong used all his strength to push against the door to try and prevent it being breached.

“HYUUUUUUNG!!” he couldn't believe he wasn't coming to his rescue. Where was he?

Before the door broke, it made this low creaking sound, like ice bergs did when they were about to split in half. Jiyong was catapulted to the back wall of the foyer, his breath knocked out of him. In rushed ten, no twenty SWAT officers dressed in full armor, some with tasers, others with rifles.

“Where are you keeping the creature?” one of them demanded in an authoritative voice, towering over him.

“He's not a creature!! He's a human being!!” Jiyong yelled with all his might.

“JI! JI!!” he heard Daesung's panicked voice from the bedroom where he had been hiding under the bed. They didn't have time to come up with a better hiding place. He wanted to go rescue him, he desperately needed to protect him, but one of the guys was holding him hostage, not even letting him get up off the floor. A loud growl and the sound of a taser gun being deployed sent shivers down his spine. Oh, Daesungie. He soundlessly mouthed he was sorry.

As they carried him outside, unconscious, Jiyong fought with teeth and claws to get free, to see if he was okay, but they held him down firmly. The sound of a van closing and driving away signaled the end of everything. The two guys holding him down finally released him and left without so much as a word.

Heartbroken and furious, he stormed into the living room. He'd better find Seunghyun unconscious, for that was the only excuse for not coming to his aid. The moment he entered the living room, his blood stopped running in his veins. He stood there frozen, not believing his eyes. Seunghyun was there alright and he was definitely not unconscious. He lay horizontal on the couch, ferociously making out with someone, he couldn't see her face. How could they ignore the fleet of storm troopers that had just invaded the place? How could they not come to Daesung's rescue? He was the sweetest little wolfboy in the whole wide world. When he thought he couldn't be more shocked and surprised, Seunghyun moved his head a bit so the girl's face was partially visible. It wasn't a girl. It was Youngbae!!

Jiyong's world ended. Everything he held dear had either been taken away from him or had betrayed him. He collapsed on the floor. Apparently that was enough for them to be able to unstick their lips long enough to see what was going on.

“Jiyong!” they both exclaimed, both looking like a deer caught in the headlights. What had they thought? They were making out on his couch, how was he not going to catch them in the act? Maybe they wanted to get caught? Jiyong's heart broke into a million different pieces, scattered around his chest, yet each and every tiny little part hurt.

“Jiyong! JIYONG!!”

 

He opened his eyes, seeing Seunghyun's innocent, handsome face. How could he look at him that way after betraying him like that? His stomach grumbled. He put his hand on his chest, it felt like an arrow had been shot through his heart, splitting it in two.

“Jiyong-ah, you awake yet? Man, it was like you were dead you were sleeping so soundly. Didn't you hear the door? I thought he was going to knock right through it! I swear, if a bomb exploded right beside the house, you would just sleep right through it!” Seunghyun chuckled.

“Ji!!” Daesung jumped up on the bed, wrestling him down and his cheek.

“Daesungie!!!” he exclaimed, tears appearing at the corners of his eyes as he hugged him so tight he started growling. “Oh, sorry.” he chuckled. It had all been a dream. A horrible nightmare. He had never felt as relieved in his life.

“Dude, what's with you today?” a worry wrinkle appeared on Seunghyun's forehead as he tried to X-ray his thoughts.

“Nothing. I just had a nightmare.” he shook his head.

“What kind of a nightmare? Are you alright? You're sweating.” Seunghyun wiped the cold sweat off the side of his cheek. It felt weird. He still hadn't fully managed to separate the feelings from the dream from reality.

“Heh.. yeah...I just...” he didn't want to tell him what the dream was about, both for obvious reasons and it just felt wrong to tell anybody about it. “I'm fine.” he just said, in a way that ended the conversation.

“Anyway, uh.. you've got a visitor.” Seunghyun raised his eyebrow in a peculiar manner, but Jiyong failed to get the meaning behind it.

“A visitor? Who?” he was so intrigued he didn't realize he was still in pajamas.

 

“Oh! Youngbae!” he exclaimed surprised, but it was a good surprise. Ah. He realized he had forgotten to send a message back. Man, he must've been so worried. When he was in the bathroom reading the messages, both Seunghyun and Daesung had gotten increasingly restless on the other side of the door, so he had given up before he had a chance to send an answer.

Youngbae just stared at him with his mouth open, first at him and then at Seunghyun. Seunghyun was wearing matching pajamas that he had borrowed from him last night, so it kind of looked like they were wearing couple pajamas. And Daesung was half- as always, it was a continuous struggle to get him to keep some clothes on, so they were starting to consider it a win if he was wearing underwear at least.

“Uh..” Youngbae started, trying to appear less stunned.

“Sorry.” he said, to start the conversation.

“What did I say about not answering my messages??” Youngbae had clearly gotten his groove back, popping right back into nagging-mode. He was a cute nagger, though. And Jiyong knew he was doing it all out of concern for him. Not to say that it couldn't be slightly annoying at times, and very annoying at other times.

“I know, I'm sorry. I...eh...there was a lot going on last night.” he wanted to clear up all possible misunderstandings he might be entertaining, but he didn't know what to say exactly.

“I can see that..” Youngbae pursed his lips, looking at Seunghyun in a peculiar way.

“Hehh, no, eh... see...” he waved his hands. It wasn't like that, no matter how much he would like it to be. Maybe he was just making a mountain out of a molehill, there was no reason to think there was something more going on than what was right in front of his eyes.

“Whatever. Show me what you've been eating. Have you been following the dietary plan I set up for you? You know food is key to your recovery, a healthy diet and exercise can get you pretty far.” Youngbae reminded him for the gazillionth time as he walked him to the kitchen. He was so used to this mantra that he didn't even find it irritating anymore.

“Man, you are a bottle of laughs.” Seunghyun stuck his frowning face between them, interrupting Jiyong's debriefing. It felt so awkward to have them both in the same place at once, like two worlds colliding.

They all turned their heads at the same time when they heard whining in the doorway. Daesung was not too happy about being left out.

“Can you go play with him in the living room for a minute.” Jiyong gave Seunghyun a pleading smile, blinking his enlarged eyes like a cartoon character. Seunghyun sent him the biggest look, ensuring he knew he was sacrificing himself for him. How dramatic.

“Yeah, yeah, alright. Just go, you babo!” Jiyong giggled, waving him away.

“Come on Dae-dae, leeet's go check out some balls!” Seunghyun said with fake enthusiasm, chuckling at his own choice of words. That idiot. Daesung didn't have to be told twice, excitedly running ahead of him. Moments later the sound of a tennis ball hitting various surfaces could be heard, followed by overly excited screeches from Daesung. Jiyong smiled to himself, once again thankful this place wasn't permanently his. If these were his breakables, he would have gone insane by now.

“You know, you've changed a lot by hanging out with Daesung. You are a lot...brighter.” Youngbae's eyes disappeared into an eyesmile. How cute. It made Jiyong want to smile as well. When Youngbae cleared his throat somewhat awkwardly, breaking their eye-contact to look at the food and exercise schedule lying on the table, Jiyong realized his eyes might have lingered a bit too long on Youngbae's mesmerizing smile. He scratched his ear for no reason and ignoring the whole thing, they got down to business.

 

Not a minute later, there came a loud crashing sound from the living room and a high-pitched yelp. As if he was Superman himself, Youngbae jumped into action, dropping everything without thinking twice, running into the living room.

“It wasn't me!” Seunghyun put his hands up, signaling he was innocent. Daesung sat on the floor nursing his finger. Blood! Jiyong clenched his teeth and gave Seunghyun an angry look, before kneeling down beside Youngbae that was already examining the wound. Poor Daesung was whimpering, looking to him to save him. He could feel his heart crumpling in his chest. “There. There.” he half-whispered and patted his head. It was the only thing he could think of doing for him, Youngbae was way better at all this medical stuff. He was surprised that Daesung was letting Youngbae tend to his finger, given their history, but noticed Daesung was on a candy. Ah, that Youngbae. There was no one stubborn enough to resist that cutie of a super-nurse.

He looked around. The floor was covered in tiny little pieces of what once was a beautiful vase. What a waste.

“Are you just going to stand there and wait until the next person cuts himself?” he scolded Seunghyun, his tone perhaps a bit too harsh.

“We were just playing....like you told us to...” Seunghyun said softly, clearly thinking his punishment didn't fit the crime. Still, he reluctantly went to get a broom.

After Seunghyun left, Daesung got restless. He refused to let Youngbae finish his work by putting on a band-aid.

“Come on, buddy. It won't hurt. See!” Jiyong made Youngbae put one on him to show Daesung it was completely safe. He didn't get it, because he had been relatively okay with the disinfectant, which was much more scary. Daesung just shook his head.

“You want me to put it on?” Jiyong offered, reaching for another band-aid. Daesung shook his head again, protecting his poor finger.

When Seunghyun came back and started sweeping the floor with his tail between his legs, giving them guilty side glances, Daesung grabbed the band-aid out of Jiyong's hand and held it out in the direction of Seunghyun.

“Really?” Jiyong said in disbelief. “Dude, I think someone is trying to get your attention... heaven knows why though..” he would never admit it, but he felt a bit betrayed. How could he prefer Seunghyun's help over his?

“Hah! A man with taste!” Seunghyun stuck his tongue out at Jiyong as he bent down and carefully put the band-aid over Daesung's wound, clearly trying his best to do it without hurting him. Daesung watched his every move until he was done.

“TaDA!” Seunghyun exclaimed proudly, as if it had been him that had saved the day and not Youngbae. Daesung snorted, sticking his tongue out at Jiyong.

“See what you're teaching him!!” Jiyong complained, appalled. Youngbae giggled.

“Not you too!” he turned to Youngbae, feeling like everyone had forsaken him.

“You can't deny it was funny.” Youngbae patted his shoulder, his face still laughing, albeit soundlessly.

“Whateva.” Jiyong shrugged coldly, but his grievances had already melted away.

 

After making sure Daesung's leg wound was healing nicely, Youngbae left. Seunghyun gave him a look.

“What?”.

“Nothing...” Seunghyun said aloof, but in a way that implied it was definitely not nothing.

“No, what?” he insisted.

“No... just... you're not paying him...extra... are you?” Seunghyun raised his eyebrow. Jiyong didn't really get what he was implying.

“I'm not paying him anything.” he told him, trying to read what he was thinking.

“...so.... he's like... taking care of you for free? Way out here? In the middle of nowhere?” Seunghyun said, his voice full of skepticism.

“Oh, you don't get it. For Youngbae, nursing is a calling. You don't even know how amazing he his, he's one of the good ones. Like, he doesn't part with his patients until he's sure they will be okay. He's the above and beyond type, a real life superhero!” Jiyong explained, realizing perhaps for the first time just how incredible Youngbae really was. Maybe he had been taking him a little too much for granted.

“Right...” Seunghyun sounded unconvinced. “You do realize he's doing this because he likes you, right?” he added, monitoring his reaction.

“WHAT!?!?” he went a bit overboard with his reaction in a panic, afraid of being found out. His heart was all over the place, freaking out and trying to get the hell out of there before Seunghyun realized it wasn't Youngbae he should be frowning over.

“Pfft....not every male nurse is gay.” he managed to swallow his panic and act as if he was completely unconcerned.

“Just be careful, okay?” Seunghyun gave up, patting Daesung's hair a bit before throwing himself onto the sofa and turning on the TV. Daesung, who had been completely enchanted by his band-aid, seeing nothing else, it carefully as if it was the most precious thing he owned, suddenly jumped up off the floor as the sound of birds filled the living room. It was a nature documentary.

A bunch of birds flew over the screen and Daesung sort of barked and tried to follow them but got completely confused as they flew off screen, looking for them behind the television and all over the living room, not understanding where they had disappeared to. Jiyong sat down beside Seunghyun and they both started laughing. After a while of the most frustrating bird chase of all time, a lion appeared on the screen. Daesung yelped and ran straight into Jiyong's arms, shaking.

“Aww, it's okay. See, all gone now.” Jiyong turned off the TV as he Daesung's back to calm him down. He could feel as Seunghyun laid his head on his shoulder, stirring those familiar butterflies that lived in his gut.

Not two minutes later and both Seunghyun and Daesung had fallen asleep, one on his shoulder and the other on his lap. He took a deep breath, trying not to panic over how nice this felt. They were like a proper family, cuddling on the sofa after a long, exhausting day.

 

 

 

________________________________

A/N: Happy Taeyang-comeback!! *eek*