Eye to Eye

Aftermath

“Why isn’t there a ing spell for how to release these stupid collars? Come on! There must be some poor shmuck that thought to himself, huh…you know, chaining up demons is…oh, I don’t know…slavery? It’s unethical and cruel. I should find a way to help these poor demons from these disgusting, horrible, unreasonably stupid mages who want nothing to do but use us like ing puppets to serve their retarded needs!” Kira ranted as she kicked a piece of ice off the side of the ledge. She had hoped it would hit some unsuspecting bystanders on the head, but she wasn’t so lucky. With a grunt, she threw the book she had stolen from the library about forbidden spells away from herself while she turned around and plopped her down on the ledge to stare over the city. She shivered ever so slightly as a freezing breeze blew harshly against her face, morphing into her full-fledged demon form. Her boiling anger caused her to snap at the wind…literally.

“You’re gonna accidentally bit your tongue if you keep snapping your jaw like that.”

“You’re the last person I want to talk to right now. I clearly can’t run away, so the very least you could do is let me have the roof to myself. Not having a territory is extremely stressful and so is someone uninvited coming onto my territory, you ing piece of ,” she continued spitting verbal venom as she curled her body closer to herself to protect her vital parts against the cold.

“It’s supposed to be below freezing tonight…” YoungJae informed.

“Thanks, weather man. I couldn’t TELL.”

YoungJae sighed, “Come on. Let’s go inside.”

“I’m not your ing dog. You can’t tell me what to do.”

His eye twitched in annoyance. “I’m offering you a place to sleep in warmth.”

“I’m perfectly fine up here on my own,” she scoffed, tilting her head haughtily in the air as she strolled past him and curled her body by one of the corners of the roof. He stared in awe at her obstinacy for a while before ruffling his hair in frustration. When he turned to glare at his stubborn familiar, he noticed her shiver.

“You’re cold. Stop being stubborn and come inside.”

“I’m fine. …it’s not like sleeping in the cold by myself is new to me,” she grumbled, hiding her face with her tail. His eyes softened ever so slightly at her words. With a resigned sigh, he left through the door. Once the door closed, Kira lowered her tail from her face so only her eyes were showing.

“Good riddance,” she decided before rolling around and curling further into the corner so more of her body could fit under the protuberance of the ledge. She hid her face under her tail again as she began drifting off to sleep. Just as she began to feel the haze of sleepiness overtake her, an irritating rustling next to her awakes her from her groggy state.

“The is going on?” she mumble-screamed into her own tail before lifted her head with only one eye half opened. Half opened turned into fully opened, and one eye turned into two eyes. She stared, very confused. “…what do you think you’re doing?”

“I’ve been kicked out of the apartment until you sleep inside. So unless you want to go in, I’m sleeping out here.”

“…wow are you whipped…”

“I’m not whipped!” YoungJae argued as Kira just shook her head.

“Yeah, sure, whatever you say. Whipped,” she cackled as he glared at her before turning around and curling up in his sleeping bag. Her smile slowly faded into a frown. “…are you actually staying here?”

“Didn’t I just say I was?”

“Yeah…but you’re human. And humans don’t mean what they say.”

YoungJae could have sworn he heard a bitter tone in her voice, but her face didn’t show otherwise.

“Well, I do. So shut up and go to sleep.”

With a scoff, Kira curled around in the opposite direction and fell asleep.

~

Minhyun panted heavily as he sprinted with all his might through the forest with Jae on his back. Jae nuzzled his back in concern.

“Oppa…slow down…you’re having trouble breathing…” Jae mumbled worriedly, but the wolf ignored her. She held on tightly and kept quiet, wondering where Minhyun was taking her. Suddenly, the exhausted wolf missed a step in his run and tripped over an insignificant branch on the floor. With a yelp, Minhyun shifted into his humanoid form and wrapped himself around Jae as they tumbled violently on the harsh ground.

“M-Mihyun-oppa!” Jae gasped in alarm as she flew out of Minhyun’s arms in a particularly hard hit on his shoulder. She ran over to him and checked his body for any bad injuries. Despite his groans of pain, Minhyun tried to get back up, only to fall down immediately. His body was beyond worn out at that point.

“Jae…keep running,” he panted out when he realized he couldn’t get back up. She shook her head and nuzzled his face.

“I can’t leave you behind like this…” she argued.

“You have to go! If Infinite catches you, you’re dead. Please…Jae…I’ll be fine. Once you’re far enough away, I’ll call for the pack to get me. Get somewhere safe. You don’t have much time,” Minhyun begged as he nudged her away weakly. She bit her lip as she slowly stood up.

“Oppa…”

“Go!”

“Please get help!” she screamed as she ran off. As Jae ran through the forest, she kept her ears open for any sounds of wolves. After 20 minutes of running, she began to grow tired and slowed down to a stop to catch her breath. Wincing, she only just realized her leg was bleeding, probably from the nasty tumble she took. Ignoring the injury, she looked around for any sources of water to quench her thirst.

“Well, well, well…what do we have here…?”

Jae stiffed and prepared herself in a defensive position.

“Hyung…it seems we got ourselves a lost little lamb…”

“Snakes…” Jae whispered out when she realized what they were.

“Wow, that’s quite the impressive deduction from a mere human!”

“Maybe we should keep her as a pet.”

Jae backed away from the pair of snakes as they revealed themselves from the shadows of the trees. One of them was slithering through the branches while the other slinked along the trunks.

“Interesting…you smell that, Hyung?”

“Yes…child…you smell of wolves…did you just escape from a pack? That’s an amazing feat and very unlikely.”

“Do you know a pack of wolves by any chance?”

“Speak, child…”

Jae kept shut as she kept an eye on both snakes circling her. She knew better than to engage in a conversation with one snake let alone two. Aron had always warned her about their manipulative nature. They’re known for their eloquent speaking abilities, getting information out of others by confusing them. Jae knew she didn’t stand a chance if she began talking. Especially since she had a lot of secrets she needed to keep.

“Cat got your tongue?”

“Do we need to be a bit more…persuasive?”

She noticed the two of them beginning to circle closer and closer to her, moving in sync with one another to create the illusion that they were one very large snake. Her heart began to pound against her chest. She wouldn’t open no matter how “persuasive” they got, but she was afraid that might cost her her life.

Suddenly, something swooped down and carried her into the air. She gasped in shock as she stared down at the two snakes that were just about to eat her a few seconds ago.

“You sure seem to have quite the knack for attracting demons, don’t you?” chuckled a familiar voice.

“Vampire!” Jae yelped in surprise. She was about to struggle to get out of his grasp before remembering she was at least 20 feet off the ground. So she settled for clinging onto him for dear life when she realized he hadn’t stopped ascending yet.

“Suho…and it’s nice to see you too, human,” laughed the vampire as a small whimper came out of Jae (who didn’t want to fall). Once they were a safe distance away from the snakes, Suho put Jae back down onto the ground. The girl ended up collapsing, still not quite able to stand properly.

“How did you know where I was…” Jae wondered as Suho smiled at her.

“Your bleeding leg.”

Jae looked back down at her leg. She completely forgot she injured her leg and began limping away when she realized it had gotten worse since she noticed it.

“…do you need help?” Suho offered kindly.

“N-N-No…” Jae stuttered out. She bit her lip to keep from crying.

She did need help. She needed a lot of help. She had to keep running but her leg hurt. She had to keep running but she didn’t even know what she was running from. She had to keep running but she wanted to just go back to her pack.

For the first time in a long time, Jae felt lonely and didn’t know what to do.

As she limped away, she tripped over a thick tree root and whined. Unable to deal with all the frustration she had bottled up, she howled, hoping her pack would hear here. Suho felt bad for the girl.

“Come on…let me take you back to my den so I can at least treat your leg…”

Dejected and immobile, Jae couldn’t turn down the offer if she wanted to.

~

With a grunt, YoungJae threw his safety mask into his locker. He closed his eyes and took deep breaths. DaeHyun followed him after, taking his safety mask off and staring at his friend helplessly.

“Hey…don’t worry about it…you’ll get the hang of it…it’s always hard to learn how to control your magic when you get a familiar. Plenty of our friends couldn’t-” DaeHyun tried to comfort only to have YoungJae interrupt him.

“When, DaeHyun?! I’ve tried everything and I just-I can’t deal with this imbalance when that useless canine doesn’t do anything to help!” YoungJae roared in frustration, throwing his vest into his locker and slamming it closed.

“You know she can probably hear you…”

“Good. Then we can be in mutual agreement that she’s not helpful in the least!”

“YoungJae…”

“No! I’m sick and tired of being the only one trying to make this work! It’s been a week, DaeHyun, and all that fox has been doing is sitting around and reading all the books in the library! It’s cold sleeping outside every night!” Groaning in irritation, YoungJae charged out the door, nearly hitting another mage.

“Whoa! Watch it!” complained the mage who just managed to avoid getting his face smashed in.

“Sorry,” YoungJae grumbled half-heartedly.

The offended mage was about to yell at YoungJae to apologize properly until his friend whispered something in his ear, causing him to smirk (an irritating smirk in YoungJae’s opinion). “Oh, that’s fine. YoungJae from B.A.P, right? Wow…must be tough dealing with such an uncooperative familiar.”

YoungJae’s eye twitched in annoyance. He could tell where this “conversation” was going and didn’t like it one bit. DaeHyun pulled on his sleeve.

“Hey…don’t listen to them. Come on. I’m sure YongGukie-hyung is looking for us,” DaeHyun said under his breath, shooting disapproving looks at the rookie group of mages.

“Yeah, why don’t you listen to your friend? But I guess you’re not exactly used to that, huh? You know what’s worse than a mage without a familiar? A mage that can’t follow his own group’s principles,” laughed one of the others in the group. YoungJae glared at them.

“And really, of all things to get, you got a fox as a familiar? You know there’s a reason they’re extinct around here. Because they’re low on the food chain. So very low…just like their morals,” chuckled one of the mages’ familiar. “And this coming from a weasel.”

“Excuse me?”

With a growl, Kira dropped down from the roof between the two B.A.P members and the other mages and their familiars.

“Wow, what a loyal fox! To actually come at your master’s side, that’s sure an unfamiliar sight to me,” cackled another weasel from the shoulder of his mage. His eyes widened when Kira morphed into her demon form and opened to shoot him with a fox fire. But all that came out of was a puff of smoke. She reeled back in shock as the group of mages and their familiars burst out in a fit of laughter.

“That was terrifying! I’m shivering in my shoes!”

“Smoke too many cigarettes?!”

“You should have seen how scared you looked for that little smoke cloud!”

“Aww, she’s actually pretty cute when she performs tricks like that.”

Kira growled in irritation, the hackles on her back standing in anger as she bared her teeth. She was about to lung for group when YoungJae stood next to her and patted her head. She looked up at him, ready to redirect her aggression at him when she noticed the furious expression on his face while staring at the group of mages. They exchanged a look before mirroring a smirk of understanding.

“You know…you really shouldn’t provoke a fox…they’re known to have bad tempers and I would just HATE for her to…lose it,” YoungJae scolded with an exaggerated look of concern on his face as Kira arched her back, growling viciously.

“Please, like you have the guts to actually sick her on us. That would destroy your already ruined image,” scoffed the one with the weasel on his shoulder while the rest of his group concurred with laughter.

“Who said anything about sicking her on you?” YoungJae smirked widely as Kira’s eyes started to glow red.

“Don’t joke around, YoungJae. Do you have any idea how long it takes for a mage to be on the same page as their familiar?”

YoungJae and Kira merely grinned.

“Oh trust me…”

“We’re on the same page.”

With a growl, a ball of flames shot out of Kira’s mouth lighting the weasel and his mage on fire. Their screams of panic had YoungJae, Kira, and DaeHyun laughing hysterically as the other boys desperately tried to put the fire out. It wasn’t a large fire by any means, but Kira had aimed perfectly at the top of their heads and managed to singe a significant patch of hair off their heads by the time they finally put the fire out. The ridiculous hairdos forced even louder laughter out of the three to the point that DaeHyun was rolling on the floor. To save themselves from more embarrassment, the group of mages ran into the locker rooms.

YoungJae wiped a tear from his eye, shed from laughing so hard. “Oh, that was beautiful.”

Kira agreed with a nod of her head. The mage shared a smile with his familiar before Kira stiffed with a frown and jumped away from him.

“D-Don’t get too comfortable with the idea. We just had a common enemy for once!” she huffed before scaling one of the buildings to the roof.

“Oh c’mon! I thought you two were finally seeing eye to eye,” DaeHyun groaned. But YoungJae smiled. “…YoungJae?”

“DaeHyun…that felt amazing! I wasn’t the one attacking but I could feel the surge of power as she attacked as if I was the one attacking. I can’t even describe it…but I just…there’s so much power and wow…having a familiar really makes a huge difference,” the younger one exclaimed as he bounced back and forth, trying to explain his excitement to his friend.

DaeHyun shook his head with a chuckle. “Yeah, but too bad you can’t do anything with all that power until you two start working together.”

YoungJae smiled brightly, “I’m sure it will work out. I think we’re a lot more similar than we think…”

 

=====================================================================

 

I apologize that it’s so Kira centered but this part is important and needed to be written before anything else happens.

 

In other news, I hate Yoo YoungJae and will murder him.

 

…not new news but that’s okay.

 

…kbai.

 

~Kira :3