Calm Before the Storm

Aftermath

CRASH.

YongGuk jumped at the sound of his window slamming shut. With a groan, he looked over to see that a gust of wind must have busted it open. Groggily getting up to close it, he checked the time to see that it was 3:29 in the morning. With a yawn, he turned to return to his bed, only to jump back in surprise at the presence of an unwelcome guest on his bed, casually lounging on it.

“Who the f-”

“I have a bone to pick with you, Bang YongGuk,” she growled angrily as she sat up at the edge of his bed and crossed her legs. She leaned her body forward and looked him over once, as if examining him. She scoffed and rolled her eyes while mumbling under her breath, “I don’t see what Jieun sees in you.”

“What are you doing here, Fox?”

“That’s a good question to ask, Mage-sshi. Because from what I am aware of, your team doesn’t catch demons for familiars. And yet here we are,” she tugged on her collar to make her point. In a low tone, she threatened, “Get this ing thing off of me before I reveal your deepest, darkest secret to the whole wide world. And I know for a ing fact you know how to.”

The leader of B.A.P stared intently at the fox. She looked completely serious and that made him worried. However, the longer he stared, the longer he realized…

“You wouldn’t betray Jieun like that.”

“You don’t know that. I could very well do whatever I ing want.” Kira’s eyes began glowing a dangerous red, but YongGuk was not shaken.

“Look, Fox…Kira, was it? I’m sorry. I really am. I had promised Jieun I would help you out, but I had no idea YoungJae would go against me like that and turn you into a familiar. I sure as hell don’t approve of it for a bit, but I can’t help you. I really am sorry. But even if that kid listened to me, he would have to be willing to learn how to let you go. And I know for a fact that YoungJae has been dreaming of having a familiar his whole childhood. I can’t…take the collar off for you,” YongGuk explained with much regret in his eyes, not breaking eye contact the whole time he spoke. While her expression did not change, Kira seemed to have calmed down based on the sight of her eyes changing back to their normal black coloration, as if the disappearance of the flames from her irises emulated the quenching of her anger. With a scoff, she hopped off his bed and kicked open his window.

“Fine, in that case, you better take YoungJae back,” she commanded.

“What? Why would you want me to take YoungJae back?” YongGuk questioned in confusion.

“Because that kid is annoying when he’s moping, and more importantly, I plan on using that library of yours for an extended period of time. If you’re not going to help me, I’ll find my own way out of this contraption,” Kira answered with a smirk, gesturing to the collar. Before YongGuk could respond, she jumped out the window and disappeared into the night.

 

~

Jihye massaged the bottom half of Sunggyu’s leg to help with the blood flow into it. She watched his facial expression to see when he winced to most and kept them in mind to gauge how well his leg is healing.

“Seems like it’s healing quite nicely. Must be nice to be a werewolf. Give it at least another day or two before you try to walk on it,” Jihye informed him before moving to her next patient. Suddenly, SungJong woke up with a groan. The kappa made her way over to him and smiled, “Hey, little one. How are you feeling?”

He just shook his head, still fairly out of it. “Where am I?”

“It’s Jihye. You got knocked out during the fight, but your hyungs got you back safely,” she informed softly as she checked his vital signs to make sure he was fine after waking up.

“How long was I out?” he said quietly, hoping the nervousness he felt wasn’t evident in his voice.

“About a day, although you should stay in bed for the rest of today so your body adjusts to being awake again before you try to stand and stuff,” Jihye explained as she went to check her other patients after confirming Sungjong’s status as stable. Sungjong looked around to piece together as much as he could without asking what was going on. Jihye had made her way over to L to check how his arm was doing by the time Sungjong figured the battle didn’t exactly go well. As he hoped in his head that EunMi wasn’t too worried about him, he noticed that Hoya was missing.

“Sungyeol-hyung, where’s Hoya-hyung?” Sungjong wondered as he craned his head around the room to see if he can locate the other.

“He’s…looking for Kira at the moment,” Sungyeol responded apprehensively.

“Why? Did she get lost?”

“Um…not quite…” the older werewolf mumbled quietly, earning him a confused look from the younger.

“Don’t worry about it, Sungjong. Just rest yourself up. We need to remobilize as soon as possible so we can prepare for those birds if they plan to attack,” Sunggyu commanded as he slowly moved his injured leg around.

“Hyung…you’re still hurt and even if you’ve healed you need to res-”

“Woohyun, we’re ing dead if those damn birds actually manage to break through that barrier. We’ll need a better plan and we’ll need more than just wolves,” Sunggyu explained calmly though his small eyes burned of extreme irritation. Woohyun merely nodded quietly in understanding.

“Mobilizing or not, you need to be able to walk before you can do anything so why don’t you just worry about getting better first?” Jihye scoffed in annoyance. “Wolves,” she commented with a roll of her eyes as she went back to cleaning the wound of one of the other werewolves.

“Jihye…about Kira…” Sunggyu started slowly, unsure of how to say this. “…what are the chances she would still be alive right now?”

“What? Sunggyu-hyung, what do you mean still alive? What’s wrong with Kira?” Sungjong asked anxiously as this was the first he heard of this. Dongwoo tapped Sungjong’s shoulder gently and put a finger up to his own lips as an indication to be quiet.

“I’m not going to lie. She has probably a 1% chance of survival if she’s still alive,” Jihye revealed with a low voice and sad eyes. Sunggyu sighed downheartedly. He was afraid that would be the case.

“We really were relying on Kira to scope out their territory…looks like we’ll have to figure some other way to get the upper hand. I thought we could just overpower them. I had no idea there were so many of them,” the leader of Infinite grumbled in despair, just thinking of all the ones they lost in battle because of his careless mistake. He buried his face in his hands.

“Would it be rude for me to ask just what exactly is Kira’s relationship is with you all? And more importantly with Hoya? You know…so I can understand why my neck is in danger whenever he’s here,” Jihye wondered casually as she rewrapped L’s bandage. There was a moment of silence that began to feel a bit suffocating before Sunggyu answered.

“She’s our spy. She always has been. Ever since the war,” he explained. With a small smile, he reminisced, “Hoya was the one that suggested her. They were friends. Him and Kira…and Rey.”

At that name, Jihye noticed everyone’s reaction became solemn.

“They had known each other long before Hoya was even a part of Infinite. When Rey passed away, Hoya became very protective of Kira,” Sunggyu concluded as he pulled his leg up with his hands.

“So are those two…” Jihye began only to trail off.

“No, they aren’t,” was all Sunggyu answered with finality. He left no room for discussion with the tone of voice he used, so Jihye didn’t press on. Not that she could if she wanted to because merely seconds later, Hoya burst through the door with a furious expression on his face. You could almost see the steam coming out of his ears.

“Those ing mages turned Kira into a ing familiar.”

~

“She’s gonna kill me. Oh my gosh, or worse, SHE’S GONNA BREAK UP WITH ME!” wailed YoungJae as he paced back and forth in his shared apartment. DaeHyun and Kira were sitting on the couch, both with their own literature in their hands, ignoring YoungJae’s mental breakdown. They hummed noncommittally in response, clearly not paying attention. YoungJae glared at the two of them.

“You guys aren’t helping.”

“Well, I WOULD help you with your problem by not being your familiar, but that clearly isn’t a choice, now is it, Yoo YoungJae?” Kira growled between her teeth bitterly, looking up from her book with a wide, sarcastic smile before turning deadpan, shooting him a glare, and going back to her book.

“…can you even read that?”

“Your language isn’t so hard to comprehend,” she scoffed back as she flipped a page.

“Jung DaeHyun!”

“If you aren’t going to feed me, don’t talk to me,” grumbled the older male, bitter that YoungJae refused to cook until he planned out how he was going to tell HaNa about his familiar. It was YoungJae’s turn to cook and he wasn’t doing his job. DaeHyun saw no reason why he should help.

“Can you at least come with me for moral support?” YoungJae sighed.

“…is there food involved?” DaeHyun raised a skeptical eyebrow.

“…well your girlfriend lives there too. I’m sure she’ll make you something to eat if you ask nicely,” YoungJae reasoned. DaeHyun slammed his book closed and went to grab his jacket.

“Let’s go now, Buddy. I am with you 100%!”

YoungJae shook his head in disbelief as DaeHyun was already out the door.

“…is he always this easy?” Kira wondered out loud. YoungJae nodded for a moment before shaking his head with a sigh, realizing the “easy one” was his roommate and best friend by choice.

Needless to say, YoungJae began to question his life decisions about the people he hangs out with as he picked up his own jacket and left the building with a disgruntled, reluctant Kira in tow.

~

Humming cheerfully, SuMi tapped in the order for her co-worker, who was running a little late in taking over her shift. They’re good acquaintances, so SuMi told her to take her time and gather herself up properly before coming out to work. A few extra minutes of work wasn’t going to kill her.

The bell above the front door rang, indicating a new customer.

“I’ll be with you in just a moment,” SuMi announced as she finished up the order. With a bright smile, she turned to the new customer to greet them. “Hello, how can I he-”

She froze in shock at the familiar face.

“SuMi-sshi! Hi! I didn’t know you worked here,” the customer laughed, who was none other than the pianist (that SuMi has definitely not taken an interest in) from the lounge, Henry. She fought the blush that was working its way up her face at the blinding smile shining on his face. He looked so happy. “If you can, would you…like to have lunch with me? Just have a casual talk?”

“Henry-sshi…right?” He nodded enthusiastically, ecstatic that she actually remembered his name. She smiled back softly and answered, “Sorry, but I was actually supposed to be off and need to go home. It’s been a long day, and I would really love to go home now.”

Her heart shattered a little at how quickly his face fell in disappointment. But after a small (really adorable) pout, he smiled back politely and took the rejection without being pushy. SuMi showed him to his seat and took his order. When she turned around, she pouted a little herself. He was adorable, and it was so hard for her to say no even though she kept reminding herself that he’s human and getting close to humans is bad news. She tapped in his order into the system while her inner conflict between her self-preservation and her curiosity battled intensely in her head.

Just as she was finishing putting in his order, her co-worker scared her (by popping up next to her and yelling boo). The young woman giggled at SuMi’s reaction, “Who’s your friend? He’s cute.”

SuMi rolled her eyes since her co-worker was known to be quite the flirt. “He’s not my friend. He’s just…someone who seems to pop up everywhere I am every now and then.”

“Oooooh~ so then he’s interested. Why don’t you go have lunch with him? I can take over now. It’s perfect!” cheered the busybody.

“It’s been a long day…I just want to go home,” SuMi whined, but her co-worker was persistent and kept suggesting it (only stopping when she had to help the other customers). As she looked back at his table, she watched as he helped an older man on a wheelchair to his seat and even entertained one of the nosy, whining children at another table. He seemed to be just killing some time as he entertained other guests while he was waiting for his food.

“So…he’s good with kids and elders. Not only does he look absolutely precious, but he is absolutely precious. If you don’t join him for lunch, I’m making you take my shift and I’m joining him for lunch,” her co-worker jokingly threatened. SuMi worried her bottom lip as she continued watching him. Her mind was at war again.

Her self-preservation crumbled into little pieces when he met her eyes and smiled brightly at him. With a defeated sigh, she walked over to Henry and sat down in the seat in front of him.

“He’s absolutely precious,” SuMi’s coworker concluded softly as she watched Henry pump his fist in excitement before shyly scratching the back of his neck in embarassment.

 

=====================================================================

 

FEJWIAOPFJEWALF;EJWAOFIEJAWFIEOJWAIPF

 

HAPPY 22ND BIRTHDAY, CORNY! :D /updates as a present/

 

^ ^

~Kira :3