Chapter 13: No Words Needed

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Days had passed, and Sehun was getting more and more worried with every message of his Luhan had ignored, every stolen glance at the restaurant that Luhan had denied. Luhan wasn’t being Luhan anymore, and Baekhyun was being equally affected. The usually cheerful and talkative boy was now silent. Baekhyun and Luhan wouldn’t even look at each other. Sehun didn’t know what to do. The two that had once been best friends were now strangers.

Sehun just wanted to help. He had to do something.

And this is why Sehun currently found himself standing frozen to the spot, struggling to suppress his misgivings, in a place he had never wanted to see.

“S-Sehun, what are you doing here?” Luhan stammered in disbelief, quickly pulling him aside. “Why are you just standing here in front of my school’s gates? What if someone recognizes you?!”

“I-I needed to see you, I had to find you,” Sehun explained with a weak smile, secretly grateful he had spotted Luhan exiting the gate before anyone had recognized him. He had been more than a little nervous to show his face at this school, but he wouldn’t let his own fear get in the way of helping Luhan. He found himself only managing to voice a whisper, but he knew Luhan would understand.

“But you didn’t have to push yourself to come here, especially if you weren’t ready... What was so important you forced yourself to come find me?” Luhan asked worriedly, his voice hushed to match Sehun’s.

“I wanted to talk to you... but you don’t answer my texts anymore and you ignore my calls... and I couldn’t wait for the weekend to see you at work... I just wanted to see you,” Sehun mumbled sheepishly, giving Luhan a small smile.

“Sehun...” Luhan murmured back in a whisper, his heart swelling at Sehun’s soft words. He was unable to hide his smile as he pulled the younger boy into his arms, warmly against his chest. “I’m sorry... And I don’t want you to hurt yourself for me.”

Sehun breathed in deeply, feeling Luhan’s head pressed against his shoulder, and inhaling the sweet scent of shampoo in Luhan’s soft blonde hair. What had been panic and anxiety clashing in his mind moments before was soon eased, simply with act of holding Luhan in his arms.

 

“Let’s just get away from here.”

 

 

 

 

“So what did you want to talk to me about?” Luhan asked gently, settling down his usual cup of taro beside Sehun’s signature chocolate.

 

“I just... I wanted to know how things were going between you and Baekhyun. Both of you seemed so quiet during work this past weekend, and... I...” I’m scared... I’m worried for you. The words just couldn’t seem to come. Sehun couldn’t help the nagging feeling inside, the feeling that Luhan was in danger of hurting himself.

 

It didn’t help that Luhan was so naïve and vulnerable. Sehun knew the older boy had truly meant well in wanting to do what he thought was best for Baekhyun. But Luhan had so terribly misjudged the situation, he had steered himself down the path that was only going to lead him to regret.

 

“I just wanted to make sure you were all right, Luhan.”

 

Luhan didn’t reply, his silence accompanied by the waning smile on his face. But Sehun understood the meaning of his wordless answer.

 

“Luhan, I want to help you...”

 

“Thank you... But, Sehun, I don’t think you can... It’s just... I think I’m... I’m losing hope. Do you want to see what he said? The last thing he said to me before we stopped talking?” Luhan pulled out his phone, giving Sehun no chance to reply. “Look, he texted me,” he said, turning the screen to Sehun to allow the younger boy to read along as he recited aloud the words that had been so painfully embedded in his memory.

 

“‘Don’t make me choose, Luhan. I don’t want to see either of you get hurt.’”

 

 

Luhan sighed softly.

 

“‘Luhan’... He called me ‘Luhan.’”

 

Putting down his phone, Luhan’s shoulders sagged as he breathed out quietly. “Baek hasn’t called me ‘Luhan’ for years.” He dropped his head into his hands as he felt his lungs tightening in his chest. “What if I really lose him, Sehun?”

 

Sehun bit his lip, struggling to come up with an answer before Luhan sighed once again.

 

“I-I’m really losing him...”

 

The older boy’s body began to shake as muffled tears began to pool in Luhan’s eyes. Anger and fear gripped at Sehun’s chest, with the pain of seeing Luhan so hurt. He was angry at himself for being incapable of preventing his tears. Unable to think of anything more to do, Sehun wrapped an arm around Luhan’s shoulders, pressing his body close against his. He wanted to make sure Luhan knew that he was there for him, shielding him from the world around them. He was there to protect him.

 

“I-It felt so terrible to hurt Baekhyun, but now I know the only feeling that's worse... is knowing I’ve hurt myself by pushing Baekhyun away.”

 

Luhan was crying, and Sehun couldn’t stop him. Sehun didn’t know what to say.

 

“I-I can’t lose him, Sehun... I need him. He’s my b-best friend...”

 

 

I know, Luhan...

 

And I’ll do anything to help you...

 

 

Unable to form the words, Sehun bit his lip, wishing desperately to comfort Luhan, but not knowing how.

 

With a shuddered breath, Luhan wiped at his own tears before lifting his gaze to meet Sehun’s worried eyes, their bodies still close as Sehun held him in his arms.

 

“S-Sehun, I’m sorry for hurting him,” he mumbled, the fresh tears in his reddened eyes making Sehun’s heart clench with guilt. “And I’m sorry for hurting you, for making you worry and making you feel like you have to help me, even though you really don’t. I-I don’t know what I would do without you...”

 

Sehun shook his head, telling Luhan he didn’t need to say anything more. He was wrong, Sehun didn’t feel like he had to help him, Sehun wanted to help him. But he didn’t know what he could say to convince his friend otherwise.

 

How can I tell you that I would do anything for you?

 

Hesitantly, he lifted his hand to Luhan’s cheek, his fingers brushing gently at the remnants of the tears that had so quietly fallen.

 

Luhan closed his eyes and leaned into his touch.

 

 

Sehun didn’t even have to say a word.

 


 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter