Chapter 10: Not Meant for Me

Crossing the Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was strange how the taste of chocolate could now make Luhan smile. Chocolate triggered memories of gentle smiles and cute lisps, of soft fingers tracing curved letters into his palm, of warm nights cuddled under blankets, texting until 2am, and of strong arms wrapped around his body.

 

Chocolate reminded him of chocolate bubble tea. And at this moment, the taste of the chocolate milk Baekhyun had bought for him at lunch was more than enough to remind Luhan of Sehun, a thought which made Luhan smile.

 

“...And I’m starting to think it’s about time for you to give him a second chance. Honestly, Lu, he is a good person on the inside,” Baekhyun was saying, but Luhan was too distracted to listen.

 

He had a faint idea that Baekhyun was starting to talk about Chanyeol again, and Luhan just didn’t want to hear it anymore.

 

“Won’t you think about it, Lulu?” Baekhyun asked him suddenly.

 

Luhan looked up, surprised to meet Baekhyun’s expectant gaze, so intent, so serious. He hadn’t expected Baekhyun to be so serious. He could only nod, knowing Baekhyun wouldn’t accept any form of refusal or denial.

 

The brightest smile lit up upon Baekhyun’s face, and Luhan could only smile back weakly, knowing he might as well listen to Baekhyun, because it would make his friend so happy if he and Chanyeol just tried to stop hating each other.

 

 

Maybe... Maybe we could all be friends...

 

But wait, this is Park Chanyeol we’re talking about.

 

Why would we ever be friends?

 

 

Luhan frowned slightly, his smile only returning as he took another sip of chocolate milk, flooding his thoughts with Sehun once more, just as Baekhyun continued to ramble on about Park Chanyeol.

 

 

Maybe... Maybe if Sehun and Baekhyun used to be friends, I should tell Baekhyun about Sehun. Maybe he could help me convince Sehun that he doesn’t have to run away, that he doesn’t have to leave. 

 

Luhan understood that Sehun was afraid of people learning his secret, but Luhan knew for a fact that Baekhyun would not be one to make fun of Sehun or bully him at all. Baekhyun was a good friend. Luhan knew he could trust him. And if Baekhyun could help him...

 

Luhan decided it was worth a shot.

 

“Hey, Baek,” Luhan interjected, cutting Baekhyun off mid-sentence.

 

As his friend’s attention immediately shifted to him, curiosity apparent in his gaze, Luhan suddenly remembered, he had promised Sehun he wouldn’t tell.

 

“Luhan...”

 

Sehun’s voice echoed in his memories. A voice he only deserved to hear because he had earned Sehun’s trust.

 

Luhan wouldn’t give it up now.

 

He couldn’t.

 

“Baekhyun, I... I’ll talk to Chanyeol, all right? Don’t worry,” he mumbled instead, nodding softly.

 

By hiding the truth, I’m protecting Sehun’s trust...

But at the same time, I’m betraying Baekhyun’s.

 

Does this mean I’m... I’m choosing Sehun over Baekhyun?

 

Luhan bit his lip.

 

 

“Oh! All right! Thanks, Lulu, this really... really means a lot to me,” Baekhyun smiled in relief.

 

His friend’s easygoing answer certainly took a load off his chest. He hadn’t been expecting Luhan to take this so well, but he was glad. Maybe if they could all just be friends, Baekhyun wouldn’t have to make Chanyeol worry every time he mentioned Luhan’s name. Baekhyun wouldn’t have to feel guilty about spending time with either one of them without telling the other.

 

It had been stressful enough these past few years, trying to keep up with both friendships. Luhan knew Baekhyun met up with Chanyeol outside of school and Luhan always greatly disapproved of it, but despite it all, Baekhyun never even considered giving up his Friday nights with Chanyeol. Under no circumstances would he ever give them up.

 

He would never give up Chanyeol.

 

Except... if he was forced to choose between Chanyeol and Luhan, Baekhyun was torn in two. How could he choose between his two best friends? It was a terrifying question that loomed at the back of his mind every day.

 

Except now, if Luhan was willing to try to make friends with Chanyeol, if they had a chance to all be friends together, Baekhyun would no longer have to worry about having to choose.

 

He wouldn’t have to worry about losing his precious Fridays.

 

Fridays were the only day Baekhyun could spend with Chanyeol in peace, without having to worry about school, or responsibilities, or expectations. Fridays were the only days Baekhyun could take comfort in, knowing he could look forward to them at the end of each tiring week.

 

Even if... even if Chanyeol didn’t think of their meetings in the same way.

 

Even if Chanyeol would never love him in the same way he loved Kai, Baekhyun would never be able to find the strength to give up Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol was one of his best friends.

 

 

 

I don’t do enough for you,

 

Is wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter