Five people, one voice, one promise—rewind back time

BACK IN TIME

“Oppa, where is this place?” I asked him as I took off my helmet.

We had arrived at our destination. I knew we were still in Seoul but probably a remote part of the city. There weren’t any tall buildings nearby except for a street of shophouses. Perhaps because it was dark and late at night, the street was eerily quiet except for sound of the wind blowing in the distance.

“Don’t worry, we’re still in Seoul. I’m bringing to you this place that I frequented.” Youngmin oppa replied as he caught hints of uneasiness in my eyes.

I looked around and I was still uneasy about walking on the street late at night.

“Hey, where are you going?” I held onto his arm abruptly and stopped him when I saw he was leaving.

“There.” He pointed to a shop in the distance. “The answer to your question.”

We stood in front of the shop.

“Huh? ‘Rewind Time’? Why does this shop have such a weird name?” I chuckled slightly, feeling the fear slowly leaving me.

My brother led the way in and I followed behind closely.

It was a music shop with many shelves filled with CDs and old phonograph record. All sorts of dogged ear posters were put up on the walls, featuring people wearing baggy pants and oversized shirts; girls putting on thick make-up; and centre parting hairstyles for guys. “This must be the 1990s fashion style.” I thought. I scanned the shop and noticed the paint had peeled off from some parts of the wall while there were visible cracks in other areas. As I surveyed the shop, I realised that the old shop seems to need a considerable amount of renovation.

I continued my exploration until something caught my eyes. I walked forward and realised that it was a large poster of five people. I walked closer and closer until I was standing face to face with it.

The guy in the middle caught my attention. His fringe was swept to the side and a pair of clear, black eyes was staring straight at me. It was as though his eyes could penetrate my soul and see through me. I would have mistaken him for a girl if not for the next picture where he was holding a board with his name on it.

“Youngwoong Jae…Joong?” I repeated the name as I tried to scrutinise the letters in the picture. “Is that his stage name?” I pondered, trying to decipher the meaning of his stage name.

“Youngmin oppa! Who is this youngwoong JaeJoong?”

My brother came over from another section of shelves. He glanced at me and turned to wherever my gaze was fixed on. He took a glimpse of the picture and grinned slightly.

I stared at my brother expectantly, waiting for his reply. “I think you found your answer even without my explanation.” He replied, folding his arms and leaned against one of the shelf.

I was confused. What is he talking about?

Then it dawned upon me. Our initial aim here was related to Cassiopeia. “Cassiopeia?” I asked cautiously.

He smiled and proceeded with the explanations. “They are Dong Bang Shin Ki. Their fanclub is Cassiopeia because the five main stars in the constellation is a representation of the five of them.” He paused slightly before he continued, his smile fading. “But they are now separated into two groups. With Changmin and Yunho still continuing the name of DBSK while Jaejoong, Junsu and Yoochun as JYJ.”

I nodded my head. I tried to show some enthusiasm though I didn’t really understand what he was trying to say. The names he just mentioned, except for Jaejoong, I didn’t know who the rest were.

My brother sighed and pulled me to the headphone set, placing the headphone to my ears. I budged but he held on to my hands firmly.

“Trust me and listen to this.” He assured. “You will like their singing.”

Just as he finished speaking, the music started playing in my ears. I closed my eyes and listened carefully to the first song. I wasn’t really a fan of music, especially to that of idols. To be honest, some of them, their singing abilities are questionable or just wasn’t up to standards. However I was amazed when I heard their voices started playing over my ears.

As the song continued to play, I took a glance at the song title.

Love In the Ice.

Passion, pain, tears. Every song was sung so powerfully, as if the song was bearing their souls.

As I listened on, songs after songs, I was curious about them. It was surprising how fast I had taken an interest to them.

Who were these guys? They truly had the passion for singing; I can feel it—from their voices. How would it feel like to be listening to them sing on the stage? If I could listen to their live just once, how…

Just then the music stopped abruptly in the midst of a song. I looked at the CD player in bewilderment. Thinking that the CD player was spoilt, I removed the headphone from my ears and called for my brother.

Oppa? Youngmin oppa, the music stopped suddenly! I called for my brother.

When I didn't get a reply back, I was worried. I quickly placed the headphone back to its place to search for my brother. But he was nowhere to be found. It was as if he had disappeared into thin air.

“Youngmin oppa! I'm scared now so come out! Stop scaring me or I'm going to cry.” I threatened.

Silence.

“He’s not here. I mumbled. I always threatened my brother with my tears when he pranked me and he would stop once I bring my tears out. It worked every single time yet this time it failed.

 I thought that he might be outside the shop waiting for me. As I hurried past the counter, I saw a red envelope. It wasn’t there when we came in.

I looked around again, except for me, no one else was in the shop. I took the envelope from the empty counter and opened it.

 

“Let’s meet again ten years later. For now, please live as Han Yeorin. That promise that I made to her, I need your help. Please don’t let history repeat itself. I promise we will reunite again in future. I’m sorry. I love you.”

 

“What’s this? This is for me?” I studied the envelope again to confirm. It was a letter without any names written on it.

I was perplexed about the letter but it was not my main concern. I grabbed the envelope hastily and exited the shop.

There was no motorbike. Nothing. There was simply no trace of his visit. He couldn’t have left me here all alone. I recalled hard and I was certain that I did not hear him driving off.

I surveyed the surroundings of the streets and my brother was not in sight.

“Ouch! Don’t you watch where you’re going?” Because of my anxiety to look for my brother, I hadn’t realised that I had bumped onto someone.

“I’m sorry! I’m really sorry!” I apologised frantically while I kept my head low, continuously bowing to him.

When our eyes finally met, I widened my eyes. He looked spookily familiar, as if I had met him before but I knew that this had to be our first meeting.

“You looked familiar…” I uttered.

The stranger ignored me as he picked up his papers that were strewn on the floor.

I moved closer to him, trying to get a good view of his face but the long fringe almost covered his face. Nevertheless, I could still see that he had pale skin.

As he stood up and our eyes met again, I had a good view of his features. His delicate features made him looked feminine yet attractive at the same time. I gaped as I recalled and recognised him.

“Yoongwoong JaeJoong…” I muttered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

As promised! The 2nd chapter!! Well, so our female lead met the first member! Look out for the next chapter!!

Oh and I will be writing the story in the perspective of our female lead! It seems easier to write in the 1st person perspective ><