The Voice

Nocturne
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The atmosphere in the camp was tensioned to such an extend that even the fire remained silent for a couple of seconds.

“Guys –”

“Mother, tell them to drop their weapons,” the voice that came from inside the vardo was no longer melodious, but steel like and icy at the same time. “And you, set my mother free,” she continued as if she was right there, next to them, seeing and hearing everything. “That’s not the way a gentleman should behave, you know?”

“I-I apologize for my companion’s behavior, miss,” Kris gulped, feeling his throat burning. “He’s just worried for me. That’s all.”

“What’s he to you?”

“Sorry?”

“Brother? Father? Cousin?” The voice seemed impatient all of a sudden. Or anxious?

Kris looked at Tao, ignoring the sudden pain he started to feel on his left side. “He’s my friend.”

“Friend. I see. And is this friend of yours trustworthy? Do you trust him with your life?”

“Excuse me that I’m interfering, but what is this, some kind of trust test?” Kai frowned, leaving Sehun’s protection after deciding that Kris didn’t deserve such a treatment from someone who wasn’t showing her face.

“You’re not excused,” the voice replied calmly. “So, what’s your answer?”

Before Kai could protest, Kris raised his hand making him shut up. “Yes, I trust him with my life.”

“Very well then, very well. Take a sit on the ground and close your eyes. All of you,” the voice commanded from the inside of the dark coloured vardo. “And listen well to what I’ve got to say.”

Kris sat down on the ground, not minding the muddy pool right next to him. His head was hurting and  something was throbbing inside of him, like a blade stuck in his flesh, pus surrounding it and making breathing a living hell.

“Hey, are you sure about this? You look like you’re having fever,” Lay whispered in his ear, cautiously checking his body temperature.

“I’m fine. She’ll help,” Kris just pulled the rain coat closer to his body.

“Why are you so sure about this? Why are you so sure she won’t have us all killed while keeping our eys closed?” Sehun ended up sitting next to Kris.

“That’s the beauty of living,” Chanyeol chucked from the place where he threw himself on the ground, “you don’t get to know what will happen next.”

“Kris –”

“Tao, trust me on this one,” Kris frowned, biting his tongue while talking.

As soon as all of them closed their eyes, the strumming of a guitar flooded the air. The sound was more than just that of an instrument. It felt as if nature itself was vocalizing through it, joined by the warmth of the sun rays and the gentle touch of summer rain.

“If I were to chose between you and the world,” the voice joined the guitar, sending shivers down their spine, “even if everything is taken away from me, if it’s you, I’m okay. My unseemly promise to forget you makes me cry again, can you hear me?” She continued singing her song of lost, invading all of them with her grief and torturous calling. “The only thing I want from you is you; without you, I can’t do anything.”

There was something more to the so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter