Heartbeat

My World, Your World

---14---

 “So,” Daehyun suddenly said, not taking his eyes off the dimly lit road, “What’s your take on the guys?”

Sooyoung smiled.  “They’re very amusing, to say the least,” she replied, giggling a bit as she recalled their bickering.

“Pfft, ‘amusing’ isn’t the right word,” he mumbled.  “Try ‘annoying’.”

Daehyun allowed a slight grin on his face when he heard Sooyoung’s laughter.  But then he became serious again.  “But no matter how childish or immature they are, they’ve always been there for me, ever since I was young.

“So I’ll always have their back, no matter what happens,” he finished quietly.

Sooyoung’s smile grew.  “Oppa has a soft side!” she said, quickly facing away when he turned to glare at her.

“Well, better remember it because I refuse to show it again,” Daehyun shot back, smirking.

Sooyoung pouted, and the smirk on his face faded away.  Daehyun gulped slightly.  He couldn’t help it as his eyes strayed and focused on her lips.  No, he thought to himself, forcing himself to face the front again.

“Oppa?” Sooyoung asked, concern in her voice.  “Are you okay?”

Daehyun’s grip on the wheel tightened.  “We’re almost there,” was all he said.

The remainder of the ride back to the Kwon mansion was, for the most part, silent, except for the soft sounds of their breathing.

Daehyun stopped the car across the street from the Kwon residence.  “I don’t think anyone is home yet,” he murmured, squinting at the darkened driveway.

“They’re probably still on the way home from the party,” Sooyoung answered after checking the time on her phone.  “It’s barely one.”

Daehyun waited, but Sooyoung made no move to get out of the car.  Instead, she closed her eyes and leaned her head against the seat.  “Thanks for today, oppa,” she whispered, “I’d much rather be with you than do anything else,” she confessed quietly.

Daehyun felt the tips of his ears heat up.  “O-of course,” he groaned internally.  Did I really just stutter?

He couldn’t tear his eyes away from Sooyoung’s peaceful expression as the moonlight shone on her clear features.  “Sooyoung,” he said.  “Don’t fall asleep.”

She hummed in response.  “I’m tired,” she whined childishly.

It was quiet for a while, and Sooyoung actually felt herself begin to drift off.

“Sooyoung.”

She opened her eyes and was surprised to see Daehyun’s face right above hers.  She took a sharp intake of breath as she stared into his dark eyes.

They both had the same thought.  Those beautiful eyes…

Daehyun softly brushed a strand of hair out of her face, his hand coming to a rest behind her neck.

“Sooyoung,” he whispered again, instinct taking over as he slowly leaned in.

Sooyoung closed her eyes, her heart beating faster and faster in her chest as she anticipated what was next.

Their lips came within centimeters of each other.  When his warm breath hit her lips, Sooyoung thought her heart would fly out of her chest.

Daehyun closed his eyes and went in.

Their lips had barely brushed each other when suddenly a bright white light swept through the side window.  Both of their eyes shot open.  Daehyun straightened up too quickly and, forgetting where he was, slammed his head into the top of the car.  “Ow!” he shouted, rubbing the back of his head.

Sooyoung’s wide eyes darted to her driveway.  “They’re home!” she exclaimed.

Sensing the urgency of the situation, Daehyun immediately unlocked the doors so she could rush out.  Sooyoung grabbed her bag and ran out without another word.

Alone in his car again, Daehyun leaned back in his seat and sighed, running a hand through his hair.  He sat in silence for a moment, gathering his rampant thoughts.  I almost kissed her, he realized.

His musing was interrupted when the passenger door suddenly swung open again.  “Huh wh–”

Sooyoung stuck her head back into the car and lightly kissed his cheek.  “Goodnight, oppa,” she said before disappearing into the night again, leaving Daehyun in shock.

He lifted a hand to the side of his face and chuckled.  He thought in amusement, This girl never fails to surprise me…

Sooyoung silently slipped through the back door and hurried up to her room before her parents realized she was there.  As she closed her door lightly behind her, Sooyoung turned and leaned her head against the wood.

She breathed in and out, trying to calm her erratic heartbeat.  “I can’t believe I just did that,” she whispered to herself, feeling the blush spread across her face.

He almost kissed me, she thought, lightly touching her lips.

Her heartbeat sped up just at the thought.

 


 

A/N: Guess who's finally back~!  :D  Sorry for the super super long wait, but I've been swamped in so much AP work =_=  hehehe hopefully, this chapter kind of makes up for it? ^-^  enjoy~

(Daehyun obviously got bored waiting for the new chapter...)