Detour

My World, Your World

---2---

Sooyoung sighed as she waited for her classes to finish for the day.  It was a cold Friday afternoon, and the teacher did not turn on the heater.  Sooyoung shivered in her seat, staring as the clock’s hands slowly ticked around and around.  She just wanted the weekend to begin.  Ten more minutes…

Then, she remembered what her mother had told her the night before.  Since it was her seventeenth birthday this weekend, her parents were hosting a party at their home the next night, and Sooyoung was to help with the preparations once she got home.

Suddenly, she no longer wanted school to end.  She would much rather study in class than be at home.

The bell abruptly rang, breaking into her silent tirade.  Sooyoung glared at the clock.  So NOW you decide to ring? she thought in irritation.

She breathed in deeply before standing up, smoothing out her uniform and slinging her backpack over her shoulder.  After bidding the teacher a quick goodbye, Sooyoung made her way outside the academy, where the Kwons’ chauffeur was waiting outside.  She had an idea.

“Ahjussi?” she asked, knocking on the window of the driver’s seat.

The chauffeur rolled down the glass, his face expressionless.  “Are you going to get in?”

“Is it alright if I walk home today?  I just want to get some fresh air,” she said, ignoring the bitterly cold wind that kept biting at her cheeks.

“Am I still going to be paid?” the man inquired gruffly, raising an eyebrow.

“Of course, ahjussi,” Sooyoung said.  “I’ll tell my parents not to deduct from your salary.”

The chauffeur shrugged.  “Fine by me then,” he mumbled, starting up the engine.

Sooyoung took a couple of steps back as he drove away.  She shook her head.  “It’s always about money, isn’t it?” she murmured aloud.

It was the first time she had ever walked home alone.  Once a while, she would be accompanied by a few of her friends so at least she knew the way home.

“It’s cold,” she whispered, wrapping her thick scarf around as the wind picked up.

Her private school ended at a different time than most of the other schools in the area, so there weren’t many other students milling around outside on this cold winter day.  However, she didn’t really mind.  She was content with having a little bit of alone time for once.

Sooyoung decided to take a detour by the street food stalls to buy something to eat, knowing that she probably would not have time for dinner later.  She browsed the many options, choosing carefully because she didn’t often have the chance to buy street food.  It wasn’t good for her, her mother often said.

“Hm… I haven’t had this in a while,” she whispered.  “Ahjumma, can I have one chicken skewer, please?” she asked, handing some money to the owner.

The woman smiled and took one off the grill.  “It’s hot, dear.  Be careful.”

“Thank you,” Sooyoung replied, bowing quickly.

She continued on her way, grateful for the small warmth the snack provided.  After she finished, she threw away the stick and fished out her phone to check the time.

I’d better hurry, she thought, picking up her pace.

Her eyes hadn’t left the phone screen when she bumped into someone.  Sooyoung stumbled back and quickly bowed in apology.  “I’m so sorry.”

“Watch where you’re going next time,” a voice snarled.

Sooyoung raised her head a bit and saw a tall young man glaring down at her.  She straightened up but shrunk back when he took a threatening step towards her.  “E-excuse me,” she stuttered.

“Alright, hyung.  Let’s go,” another voice joined in.

Another guy emerged from the convenience store next to them.  A pair of dark eyes met Sooyoung’s frightened ones and then widened in recognition.  “What are you doing here?”

Sooyoung remembered the sound of his voice.  It was like déjà vu of the time at the party.  The same mysterious dark eyes, the same exact words.  But was it the same person?

The guy bristled when Sooyoung did not respond.  “Yah!  I asked you a question!”

“Oh!” Sooyoung exclaimed, suddenly hearing her phone ring in her backpack.  She panicked, knowing her parents were going to be angry when she got back.  She forgot what the guy had said and quickly bowed a second time.

Then, she took off down the street, rushing past the bewildered two males.  Daehyun glared at her figure as she ran.  “Rich girl,” he scoffed.

The older male turned to Daehyun curiously.  “Do you know her?”

“The daughter of the family who lives near mine.  They’re throwing a party tomorrow.  I think it’s her birthday.”

“Are you going to go?”

Daehyun raised an eyebrow.  “When do I ever go?”

The other guy smirked.  “You did just last week, Daehyun.  Remember?”

“Himchan-hyung!  You know I didn’t mean to!  I couldn’t find my phone so I went home to check if it was there!  I had no idea my parents were throwing another stupid party!”

“I’m just teasing you.  Don’t be so sensitive,” Himchan laughed, holding up his hands.

Daehyun narrowed his eyes at his hyung.  Then, he huffed angrily.  “My dad is set on me attending this one.  He said that it might make me realize what I’m missing,” he paused, rolling his eyes.

Himchan gaped at the younger boy.  “Wait, so you’re actually going to go?!”

“He threatened to send those giants he calls bodyguards after me.”

“You know we can just leave for Busan or somewhere that day, right?”

Daehyun sighed, kicking the ground in frustration with the tip of his shoe.  “Yeah, but he promised to stop sending people to watch my every move.  One party won’t kill me… I hope.”

 


 

A/N: Some insight into Daehyun's life.  A bit of clarification: Daehyun is only going to the party (rather reluctantly too) because his father promised not to send people to track him anymore.  He knows it's a trick, but it's at least something to hold his dad to.  If you're confused about anything, just comment and I'll find a way to clear things :D  Thanks for reading~